• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D'Ghost misrepresents another topic. Ban warning issued

What do you think?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
mod edit: User still trying to desperately cause console wars by misrepresenting a video about an SSD that was hot, and made a bait thread insinuating it was the entire console. Therefore thread has been closed until they learn to accurately reflect the topic at hand.

Timestamped.

In Giant's Beastcast (Giant Bomb) preview of the Xbox Series X console the presenter (Jeff Bakalar) experienced both the console, and the SSD getting really hot, even when on standby mode. Naturally on standby mode this should not happen as the console isn't processing any major graphical workloads to speak off that stress the system's cooling - at least that's a safe natural assumption.

Should this be a source of debate or interest regarding this console?
Does this have the potential to become problematic for the console's overall longevity?
IF it's an issue, how do you think it will get addressed? Higher RPM's for the fan (more noise)?
Quick Resume the culprit? Poor cooling? Combination of?

Feel free to discuss, no right or wrong answers here.

Small little transcript for mobile users of the conversation:

Jeff Bakalar:
It's on fire.... it's super hot (SSD on hand).
Why is it so hot?​
.....bla bla bla...​
So here's what's crazy right. This thing..... so this was just plugged-in in standby mode behind me. And guys, the entire thing (gestures to the console port side) is a little toasty. Umm...​
Alex Navarro: Now again this is pre-release hardware to be fair.

Jeff Bakalar: Totally, and I'm sure they're (MS) not stoked for me to even get into that much kind of detail (NDA).
But you know the people were asking like.... ohh you know...it seems like it's in the way that a lot of the other consoles were doing stuff while you were not using them.​
It seems like this thing might be doing something while you're not using it to the point where it needs to exhaust heat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Bass

Could need a software update to fix the stand by heat but why wouldn’t it run hot during operation? It’s a lot of silicon in a smallish box.

Or maybe it’s fake as the fine poster above me states.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
The Series X looks so compact!
Look at how the guy cradled it easily into his care. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

All this talk about heat is useless without measurements. Nvme ssd are supposed to run warm. And if Series X is exhausting heat, it is doing its thing well! Those top vents and 140mm+ fan doing its work.

pr0cs

No doubt consoles this Gen are going to be running really hot, a ton of tech packed in a tiny space.
I'm fine with waiting till next year to pick up both machines. Should have had the Guinea pigs test the machines by then to get an idea how the consoles actually fare in the wild by then

TLZ

Banned

_SAKY_

Also, I don't believe any of these systems are prototypes, early manufacturing maybe but def not proto. These reviewers were sent production units, otherwise someone would have said something last week.

reksveks

Do people understand that nvme ssd get hot whilst being used the issue is if it is falls out of the typical expected range so no shit the bit aka the metal thats the electricity is running through is hot.

Dr Bass

How can this be fake? Watch the video, the guy has the SX.

Well I don't know 100%, I was just saying I think it makes sense. It's a modern CPU and GPU in a small box. Do users think these things won't be generating heat? It has to go somewhere. It's totally normal.

bender

What time is it?
giphy.gif

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Even if this were true, there is sometimes hardware failures unrelated to the design and manufacturing.

Sometimes my phone gets hot as Satan's butthole after chipotle.

People shouldn't worry unless this results in failures or is common after launch. I find it hard to believe MS would allow another RRoD scenario.

Something probably wrong with pre release equipment.

Release consoles, I will be getting extended warranty on the ps5 and xbx.

While this is pre-release hardware (because it has not been released). I expect that this is the exact production console that will be sold at retail , they aren't going to send a prototype console to people. I can see them sending prototype SSD's.

The memory getting this hot does not surprise me but its odd that it would stay that hot in standby. It could be a requirement by Seagate but I would expect Microsoft to address this before launch.

TLZ

Banned
Well I don't know 100%, I was just saying I think it makes sense. It's a modern CPU and GPU in a small box. Do users think these things won't be generating heat? It has to go somewhere. It's totally normal.
For sure. I just don't want a rrod situation again.

So does Jez Corden, and hundreds of other people.
But he does have it too. Why would he lie or make up stuff? If the others aren't mentioning it doesn't mean it's fake.

Last edited:

reksveks

While this is pre-release hardware (because it has not been released). I expect that this is the exact production console that will be sold at retail , they aren't going to send a prototype console to people. I can see them sending prototype SSD's.

The memory getting this hot does not surprise me but its odd that it would stay that hot in standby. It could be a requirement by Seagate but I would expect Microsoft to address this before launch.

The one issue is that even if it's in 'standby' that statement doesn't tell you how long it was in use just before the console was placed in standby and how long it's been in standby. There is too many unknowns here.

For sure. I just don't want a rrod situation again.

But he does have it too. Why would he like or make up stuff? If the others aren't mentioning it doesn't mean it's fake.
To be fair it sounded like they are under NDA not to mention this so you should not be hearing from anyone about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Dr Bass

Or just use basic logic. why would MS sent the Xbox to hundreds of people TWO MONTHS in advance if they have heating problems? Why?

My 2019 Mac Pro that I'm working on right this very second spits out a ton of heat. It does not have "heating problems." Computer chips get hot and they have to dissipate that heat into their environment to not thermally throttle. I see absolutely zeroooooooo controversial about the XSX or the PS5 running hot.

Or just use basic logic. why would MS sent the Xbox to hundreds of people TWO MONTHS in advance if they have heating problems? Why?

Why would MS release the Xbox 360 and deny the RROD for so long until they had to make the recall? These things happen. Report and open the floor to debate.

Last edited:
But he does have it too. Why would he like or make up stuff? If the others aren't mentioning it doesn't mean it's fake.

I'm pretty sure the Xbox external SSD running hot, even in standby, would be something literally anyone else would have at least mentioned if true as, at present, hardware is one of the few things that reviewers can actually talk about.

There are literally hundreds of these things worldwide and as many YouTube videos vying for your clicks talking about them. At least one verified source has called it fake news. Unless Jeff counters this directly, I'm going to assume it's not actually an issue at all and is being blown out of proportion for an agenda.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGrat1

Meh, the important part is keeping the internal components cool, not the exterior. As long as it does not deform or pose a fire hazard it means next to nothing. For all we know, the exterior may be designed as a secondary heat sink and it getting hot is part of the design.

Also: I have been out of the loop for a little while was that $200 price for the memory card confirmed?! Holy shit!!!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the Xbox external SSD running hot, even in standby, would be something literally anyone else would have at least mentioned if true as, at present, hardware is one of the few things that reviewers can actually talk about.

As Jeff pointed out..... He's not supposed to talk about the hardware potentially "overheating" or "running too hot". He had a goofy moment with the hot SSD that evolved into a conversation that he believes is tied to NDA.

Last edited:
I mean it’s a single instance of this being reported isn’t it? Out of how many units being handed out? If this was a common thing, do we not think one of the others would’ve said something about? Or Digital Foundry would have?

Resident FUD promoter er I mean OP, thoughts?

Meh, the important part is keeping the internal components cool, not the exterior. As long as it does not deform or pose a fire hazard it means next to nothing. For all we know, the exterior may be designed as a secondary heat sink and it getting hot is part of the design.

Also: I have been out of the loop for a little while was that $200 price for the memory card confirmed?! Holy shit!!!
$220

As Jeff pointed out..... He's not supposed to talk about the hardware potentially overheating. He had a goofy moment with the hot SSD that evolved into a conversation that he believes is tied to NDA.

He said "that much detail". Reviewers are already talking about positive and negative aspects of the hardware.

If talking about the external SSD potentially overheating breaks NDA then similarly debunking that does the same, but Jez has done just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom