• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Yakuza Like A Dragon PS5 vs Xbox Series S/x

Three

The Sun is not approximated as a point light. In rendering, we use the sun as a quick directional light source - that is, it only has direction but infinite distance so that all objects are lit by it. It's an approximation and that kind of shadow will always be sharp. I'm talking beyond a point/directional light source. When I left film, we were using the real approximation of the Sun being a true area light. That is, it has area and we would integrate the light source across it's area to find individual points on the surface. Doing it this way will naturally give soft shadows (edges). The sky is also a light source and has to be integrated as well.

Assume your hand is a caster and the wall is a receiver. Imagine you have a light source in your room (the ceiling). If you put your hand really close to the wall, the shadow will be sharp. I'm not talking about the light source being further away. In games, it will not have a specific location but just a direction and intensity. If you move your hand away from the wall and towards the light source, you hand's shadow will indeed get blurrier on the wall. Sorry if I mixed up my wording. It happens sometimes.

I haven't gotten the game and this year I promised myself not to judge videos or screenshots of games. In order to really discuss it's graphics, I'd need to purchase the game.
Yep, what you are describing is the penumbra. This isn't penumbra in the game.

Just judge it by the video man it makes no difference if your console is running it or if you're looking at a high quality video. Not like you can debug it if you are running locally. In the end you're just looking at the output in both cases. Don't feel guilty for doing that.

This game is fantastic. So much depth and a ridiculous amount of content to be found. Really, its like GTA levels of extras/mini games. I love the turn based combat. Absolutely the proper direction for a game that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
- "Normal" mode runs at 1440p/60 fps on both PS5/SX, 900p/30 on Series S
- "High Resolution Mode" runs at 4K/30 on PS5/SX, 1440p/30 on Series S
- PS5 and SX look identical in terms of textures, pop-in etc.

So similar perfomance on both PS5 and Xbox X

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Yep, what you are describing is the penumbra. This isn't penumbra in the game.

Just judge it by the video man it makes no difference if your console is running it or if you're looking at a high quality video. Not like you can debug it if you are running locally. In the end you're just looking at the output in both cases. Don't feel guilty for doing that.
Just watched the video. It's a gamma shift on the shadows. Why they did that with the XSX is beyond me. Probably a miss in the evaluation. The PS5 version looks better because adding up the GI light probes in the final computation of the shaders make the objects look less blown out.

Why this game can't run native 4k/60FPS on both machines is also puzzling seeing as though the game looks very dated.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
- "Normal" mode runs at 1440p/60 fps on both PS5/SX, 900p/30 on Series S
- "High Resolution Mode" runs at 4K/30 on PS5/SX, 1440p/30 on Series S
- PS5 and SX look identical in terms of textures, pop-in etc.

So similar perfomance on both PS5 and Xbox X
Normal mode takes quite a nosedive on the XSS: 900p AND half the framerate (I wonder if the graphics quality is the same).

SkylineRKR

Don't underestimate Dragon Engine. It takes quite a rig to run it at 4k/60. RTX 2080 couldn't achieve it.

Normal mode takes quite a nosedive on the XSS: 900p AND half the framerate (I wonder if the graphics quality is the same).

Incorrect. Normal mode is 60fps on S.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sell me on this game...I've been sitting on the wall about this one...
Ichiban is probably the best new protagonist in a game for such a long time. Story is decent but the characters are strong.

Absolutely loved the side quests and the turn based combat system is good. Super happy with it, one of my favourite games last year.

Three

Just watched the video. It's a gamma shift on the shadows. Why they did that with the XSX is beyond me. Probably a miss in the evaluation. The PS5 version looks better because adding up the GI light probes in the final computation of the shaders make the objects look less blown out.

Why this game can't run native 4k/60FPS on both machines is also puzzling seeing as though the game looks very dated.
I'd be interested in what the difference in this technique is. What's gamma shift on the shadow and how it causes flickering.

I think this is just a patch for an xbox one/PS4 game so native 4k/60fps needed much more work in optimisation. It runs at 720p 30fps on the xbox one for comparison.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Seems pretty clear cut to me. I find they would have drawn a conclusion pretty buoyantly if the shadow quality was flipped between the consoles....
Thats the weird part. Before this game they woulda said high quality shadows for either PS5 or XSX.

Whats so different this time vs other games?

Shane89

A shadow is blurred depending on the distance from the caster.. in fact, the further away an object is from the caster, the more blurred it is. This is a direct result of area lights (the sun is not a point source). Maybe I'll do a thread on that one day.
look at the tent, it's not far, and in a situation like that the shadow would be dark and well defined, not blurried

Airbus Jr

Banned
tenor.gif

VFXVeteran

Banned
I'd be interested in what the difference in this technique is. What's gamma shift on the shadow and how it causes flickering.
Gamma shift is basically taking a final color value and putting it through a gamma function. All shaders are in linear space so that all the math is computed naturally. After the pixel color is computed, they push it through a gamma function to convert to sRGB space. I wonder if they either missed their constant value being passed in the function or if their function is bugged. The game overall looks lighter on the XSX (i.e. desaturated compared to the PS5). I didn't see any flickering. That's another problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom