• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Yakuza Like A Dragon PS5 vs Xbox Series S/x

AnotherOne

200.gif

Summary

- DF Confirms there was a "high frame rate" mode for SX (60 fps/1080p) in the preview build, which was taken out of the final game.
- "Normal" mode runs at 1440p/60 fps on both PS5/SX, 900p/30 on Series S
- "High Resolution Mode" runs at 4K/30 on PS5/SX, 1440p/30 on Series S
- PS5 and SX look identical in terms of textures, pop-in etc.
- The only difference is in shadow filtering. PS5 draws darker thicker lines. DF is not sure which is the intended method.
- Series X to S shows a starker difference. Series S's chosen AA struggles to keep up at 900p/60. Shadow quality is lower but only slightly. Bokeh DoF during scenes is also lower resolution.
- DF also throw in a brief PC comparison regarding how taxing the engine is.
- 1440p/60 FPS "Normal" mode is the recommended mode on both PS5 and SX.
- In their 5 hrs of testing DF can only replicate minor drops in combat with high alpha effects, otherwise its mostly a lock on both.
- Series S is prone to bigger drops in battle but traversal is locked at 60.
- All arcade games run at 60hz too, except Space Harrier which locks to 56fps.

- 4K/30 is prone to improper frame pacing and big skill moves can cause big hits to 20 FPS. Same on SX, PS5 and. Same for Series S at 1440p/30.
- DF recommends sticking to 60 FPS as 30 FPS output feels sluggish and makes prompts in combat and karaoke etc harder to respond to.

- Loading 'fade to blacks' are identical across the systems.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who finds the Dragon Engine completely mundane? I am surprised to see it run basically the same across both machines.

It's a shame it's a turn based now... not a fan
As someone whose been playing the games since my big brother was importing them back in the day when they originally released..I appreciated the switch to turn base more than I thought. Thought I would hate it but its fun as hell and it reminds me of old school RPG's lol

The team up moves get a little too silly for even Yakuza though. f

skit_data

I did not understand the first quote.
Another mode for 1080/60 if there is 1440p/60? Makes no sense.
I think the SX had a prioritize framrate mode, a normal mode and a High quality mode earlier

Edit: I guess they just concluded that Normal mode was stable enough to drop the prioritize frame rate mode

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I did not understand the first quote.
Another mode for 1080/60 if there is 1440p/60? Makes no sense.
In the video he says a was supposed to be a tighter 60fps.

Agree it does sound odd.

As someone who never was into these and really wasnt into this one...it is one good looking game. Damn.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
OMG Digital Foundry found a big difference between the two. People are going to be shitting themselves when they see this. I can't believe the difference is so huge.

No difference so no console War🎉 btw Enjoy this Game its awesome👌

Once again, exactly the fucking same.
Now yall know good n well all its gonna take is for someone to point out one thing....and then the real party starts.

The Series S might be the more interesting in these comparisons.

Last edited:

Concern

Now yall know good n well all its gonna take is for someone to point out one thing....and then the real party starts.

The Series S might be the more interesting in these comparisons.

Leave it to people who actually will scan 15 minutes of video frame by frame for one thing like abel empire lol

What's more surprising is that next-gen consoles can't run this average looking last-gen game at 4k/60.

Here's the thing I don't know if they can't run a game like this at 4K 60. I've seen better looking games run at that. So I'm wondering if the developers are at fault here. I heard it's also extremely demanding on PC as well.

How can that work when there are FPS caps or resolution caps.

Because visuals isn't down to just resolution.

Technically even with the same resolution and FPS caps you can push other aspects of graphics. Like higher quality textures or shadows for example.

Is this game running at maximum settings besides resolution and framerate that is?

Top Bottom