• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Tiny Tina's Wonderlands: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Tested - A Tech Evolution Over Borderlands 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My theory is that all the cross-gen games have the 18 CU PS4 as the performance target, so most games will favor a narrow GPU structure.
Older graphic engines will generally prefer higher clock speeds.
Joe Biden Reaction GIF

The FUD of the day...

Then these guys realize UE5 released few days ago runs better on PS5.
XSS has 20CU's.

Cant make this shit up.
The Office Reaction GIF by NETFLIX

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Do you honestly believe a cross generational game that doesn't use all the features of the XSS has maxed it out? No wonder some people around here think the Switch is on the same power level. I guess its the price. To answer your question no this title has not maxed out the XSS. It is limited by the effort developers take on it.
I use facts and logic to come to my conclusion. You clearly have an emotional investment in this. Why wouldn't they optimize for the S? They just hate it?

Last edited:
Do you honestly believe a cross generational game that doesn't use all the features of the XSS has maxed it out? No wonder some people around here think the Switch is on the same power level. I guess its the price. To answer your question no this title has not maxed out the XSS. It is limited by the effort developers take on it.
I think it was a Naughty Dog developer who once had a great apology on what it is to max out a gpu/console. Image you have a cup. That cup can hold a maximum of 4 rocks. The cup is full but there is obviously empty space between the rocks because they dont lock together like a puzzle nor are they in yhe shape of a cup. No imgaine you add some pebbles to that cup to start to fill the cup. The same cup now holds the same rocks and now some additional pebbles. Now imagine you add sand to fill the gaps. Again you have the same cup with the same rocks and pebbles but now the finer gaps are pluged with the sand. In each of these scenarios the cup is "full".

This is true, theres obviously quite a few cross gen engines that really are seeing the benefit of the higher clocks of the PS5 GPU.

What's interesting to me is I always just expected that wider GPUs offer higher resolutions and performance at a lower clock with narrower GPUs struggling with this, but the PS5 has proven me wrong time and time again. I guess the significant overclock/boost to the PS5 GPU has really managed to close the gap on the bigger die of the series X.

I love that they are so close to be honest, they are both great consoles.

Well it’s not just some cross gen engines. Some modern engines can also take advantage of the PS5s strengths and perform slightly better on it. Not saying it will be the typical case but it’s indeed possible for it to happen. It’s not like there’s a big gap between the two so performance can swing either way. With both consoles being in the same performance tier I don’t think anyone will feel bad buying either of them.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I think it was a Naughty Dog developer who once had a great apology on what it is to max out a gpu/console. Image you have a cup. That cup can hold a maximum of 4 rocks. The cup is full but there is obviously empty space between the rocks because they dont lock together like a puzzle nor are they in yhe shape of a cup. No imgaine you add some pebbles to that cup to start to fill the cup. The same cup now holds the same rocks and now some additional pebbles. Now imagine you add sand to fill the gaps. Again you have the same cup with the same rocks and pebbles but now the finer gaps are pluged with the sand. In each of these scenarios the cup is "full".
Sure but atoms are like 99% empty imagine the optimisation possibilities?

Older graphic engines will generally prefer higher clock speeds.

Not necessarily even some modern ones can prefer the PS5s hardware more. It just depends on what the engine needs are and isn’t limited to old tech liking the PS5 more. Granted I’m not suggesting the PS5 is outdated like some are but you know what I mean.

Riky

$MSFT
Series S is fine, it's dynamic 1440p like dynamic 4k on the Series X and quite solid framerate with VRR support.
If the Series X is the best version at 1080p for 120fps then they probably didn't want the drop in image quality even further to get 120fps on Series S.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
VRR hands one of the console automatic victory.

Shouldn't be that way. VRR shouldn't be so hard to implement for a company that's making TVs since forever.
VRR on TVs raises the gamma on every tv I have seen. Some it’s a tiny bit but it’s very noticeable to some people like me. I can’t use it on any of my TVs because of that.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
VRR on TVs raises the gamma on every tv I have seen. Some it’s a tiny bit but it’s very noticeable to some people like me. I can’t use it on any of my TVs because of that.

I think this gamma thing is a TV phenomenon only. I don't think I've read any/many things about this being an issue on PC monitors.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I think this gamma thing is a TV phenomenon only. I don't think I've read any/many things about this being an issue on PC monitors.
The few pc monitors that have local dimming have horrible local dimming. The lighting is basically always on which I think ( complete theory incoming) is the issue with TVs …it is that the back lights have to always be at a certain level to react quick enough for VRR.

Series S is fine, it's dynamic 1440p like dynamic 4k on the Series X and quite solid framerate with VRR support.
If the Series X is the best version at 1080p for 120fps then they probably didn't want the drop in image quality even further to get 120fps on Series S.

It is indeed fine. ;) Some people still can't accept that Series S is here to stay for the entire generation.

Dynamic 1440p60 - "WTF, wHy NoT 120 FPS"
1080p60 - "where is my 1440p60 as advertised"
1080p30 - "see, I told you it was a pathetic console"

Somehow I don't see the same arguments about mediocre performance modes in games like Dying Light 2 or Guardians of The Galaxy on XSX/PS5. Then it's always lazy devs, incompetence, shoddy engine or not enough resources put into it.

Honestly I'm not surprised that Series S is currently getting the short end of the stick. When you have to optimise for Xbox One, One S, One X, PS4, PS4 Pro, XSX, PS5, fuckton of PC configurations, sometimes even Switch or cloud versions, XSS is definitely not a priority. Far from it.

In a near, current-gen only future though? I can see devs putting much more care into that version of their games. That obviously doesn't mean Series S will magically deliver 1440p with up to 120 FPS in most titles, but dynamic 1080p60 or 30 FPS? Absolutely, and Series S owners won't mind.

Someone might say that's not next-gen enough. Well, neither is XSX/PS5 with their limited RT, non native 4K and some settings lower than PC's low. Who cares. All of these machines are still incredible for their respective price.

Fuck me, those console wars are getting tiresome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom