• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: The Touryst PS5 - The First 8K 60fps Console Game

8k!? Other consoles be like:
CaZEvl9.jpg

So well, I guess narrow and fast can beat wide and slow in some instances after all. 🤷‍♂️
sometimes a long lean dick is better than a short little fatty... and vice versa 🤔 :pie_roffles: "lollipop_disappointed:

OT: personally do not care what internal res this is... but, I've had my eye on this game since it was revealed on Switch. Always thought it looked great!

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Rich said on the video VRR was his top priority from Sony than 8k but is crazy to think 8k output support will come close or if not in the same instance as VRR?
but he was speaking at the console level............well......yea, sony will implement vrr and aLLm at the same time for both TVs and console around December from what I was told. the 8k thing I didn't know wasn't part of the current firmware.

Fake

but he was speaking at the console level............well......yea, sony will implement vrr and aLLm at the same time for both TVs and console around December from what I was told. the 8k thing I didn't know wasn't part of the current firmware.

Rich just get viewers attention about the 8k logo was in the PS5 box, but not in the current software level at all. They just don't expected to have a native 8k too soon. Maybe voth VRR and 8k came at the same date?

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Rich just get viewers attention about the 8k logo was in the PS5 box, but not in the current software level at all. They just don't expected to have a native 8k too soon. Maybe voth VRR and 8k came at the same date?
well currently there is no VRR on either tv and console.

Hoddi

Impressive. my pc chokes even on 8k video,,, and dark souls 3 runs 12fps at 8k. I have 3080
Most last-gen games are too much at 8k but you'd be surprised by how good the earlier generation looks. DS Remastered and SotFS both look and run fantastic at 8k on modern GPUs.

Bring on the remasters, please.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Most last-gen games are too much at 8k but you'd be surprised by how good the earlier generation looks. DS Remastered and SotFS both look and run fantastic at 8k on modern GPUs.

Bring on the remasters, please.
sotfs fonts are already super small at 4k :p No scaling. But I agree otherwise

arvfab

Banned
the SeX wasn't running this game completely native like the PS5 is, right?

Why shouldn't it? It was even featured in the "Series X|S Optimized" series:

Last edited:
Okay, so the clock speed wasn't the only reason given. There are actually 3 reasons in total. The second reason is the difference in the two console's memory setup (Xbox has its fastest bandwidth of 560GB/s on 10GB of RAM, and the remaining 6GB runs at 336GB/s), which would certainly have been a bigger challenge at launch, and the 3rd, and likely biggest reason, is that the developer in this case quite literally rewrote the engine to actually take advantage of PS5's low-level APIs. The Series X at launch literally just got an update of the Xbox One X version of the game, which came four months prior to the release of the Series X version. so it didn't benefit from the wholesale engine rewrite the PS5 benefitted from.

Even the shadows were updated in the PS5 version. Depth of field too, or is just benefitting from the higher resolution. Either way, fantastic work from a very talented developer. I really do need to check this game out because things like this always remind me of gaming at its finest back in the day. Takes me back. Love the art style.

Shin'en tells us that in the case of its engine, the increase to clock frequencies and the difference in memory set-up makes the difference. Beyond this, rather than just porting the PS4 version to PS5, Shin'en rewrote the engine to take advantage of PS5's low-level graphics APIs.

Why shouldn't it? It was even featured in the "Series X|S Optimized" series:

It's a native version app, yes, so it gets labeled Series X|S Optimized, just like many games at launch such as AC: Valhalla, COD Cold War, Dirt 5 etc, but what the Series X got was a native Series X port of the Xbox One X version of game that released 4 months earlier. PS5, having much more time after launch, literally got an engine rewrite that was no port of the PS4 version, but literally a ground up PS5 version of Touryst with engine modifications to benefit PS5. A version of the game rewritten ground up for Series X in a similar fashion would reach 8K as well.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
it's like how the PS2 can theoretically push multiple times more polygons than the GameCube, but that didn't take into account shading them, and as soon as you want to do that the GameCube runs circles around the PS2
That situation had a ton of complexity to unpack well beyond any single metrics (including 'shading'). But if we want to go short with it - PS2 'typically' pushed more polygons than GC in cross-platform titles. The exceptions were mostly late ports from GC -> PS2.
As a rule of thumb - PS2 was most frequently limited by 'everything but the actual rendering' when it came to drawing&shading polygons - mainly because the entire data-flow was in developer control and things would only run as fast as the slowest part of your data-pipeline (not to mention people typically focused on optimizing the wrong parts, especially in the first 3 years).
GC on the other hand had relatively few ways to kill performance as long as you didn't need things outside of its fixed function pipeline. Where it lost most ground was cross platform titles that expected programable geometry pipeline (which happened regardless of XBox or PS2 as the lead platform).

2080Ti goes up to 2.0 Ghz right?
When overclocked - I don't recall if I ran it overclocked in Tourist or not.
As for maxing out - I didn't go too in-depth on testing, I just tweaked resolution until I found a stable 60fps (and going far beyond 4k was just not possible).

Were you using max settings? Sometimes consoles use medium to high settings.
I probably was - but Tourist (at least GamePass version) has almost no settings to speak of, so there wasn't much to tweak.

Pretty cool. I wish shinen partnered with limited run games or super rare games in UK so I could buy a copy for some system. Still wanting a Fast neo switch cart. Nano assault neo was cool on wii U as well.

Lysandros

It is the same for any processor.
Clocks beat more cores... that was already a think in CPUs with multicores two decades ago (4Ghz single-core CPU runs better than 2Ghz dual-core CPU from the same arch).

But it doesn't exactly apply directly to PS5 vs Series X because the TFs are not the same.

What we can say is that the PS5 with 10.3TFs using highers clocks is indeed faster than a PS5 with 10.3TFs with lower clocks.
Now comparing with a 12TFs with lower clock I believe the 12TFs will have the advantage yet.

Of course that is only comparing GPU power.
It very much directly applies 'here' hence the real world result and the relevent/clear statement about this by the developers. There is not a law saying 'fixed function units can't operate better/faster due to higher frequency unless the machines have the exact same TF count', that would be pretty silly i think. ;) PS5 can do significantly more at technical level compared to XSX in this game simply due to having higher fixed function throughput (along with memory configuration apparently).

Edit: I also suspect that PS5's bigger ROPs with twice the Z/Stencil ROPs compared to XSX play a meaningful role in the overall performance picture here in addition to frequency difference.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Okay, so the clock speed wasn't the only reason given. There are actually 3 reasons in total. The second reason is the difference in the two console's memory setup (Xbox has its fastest bandwidth of 560GB/s on 10GB of RAM, and the remaining 6GB runs at 336GB/s), which would certainly have been a bigger challenge at launch, and the 3rd, and likely biggest reason, is that the developer in this case quite literally rewrote the engine to actually take advantage of PS5's low-level APIs. The Series X at launch literally just got an update of the Xbox One X version of the game, which came four months prior to the release of the Series X version. so it didn't benefit from the wholesale engine rewrite the PS5 benefitted from.

Even the shadows were updated in the PS5 version. Depth of field too, or is just benefitting from the higher resolution. Either way, fantastic work from a very talented developer. I really do need to check this game out because things like this always remind me of gaming at its finest back in the day. Takes me back. Love the art style.

Believe whatever make you feel better I guess 🤷‍♀️ as always with you.

Last edited:
all this sounds like they used PS5 very efficiently - quick someone needs to do PC Comparisions with the usual PC Cards they stack up vs PS5 .. like RTX 2060/Super - RTX2080
me would assume that PS5 performs better than expected in comparision here . since they probably used PS5s low level API ..

arvfab

Banned
It's a native version app, yes, so it gets labeled Series X|S Optimized, just like many games at launch such as AC: Valhalla, COD Cold War, Dirt 5 etc, but what the Series X got was a native Series X port of the Xbox One X version of game that released 4 months earlier. PS5, having much more time after launch, literally got an engine rewrite that was no port of the PS4 version, but literally a ground up PS5 version of Touryst with engine modifications to benefit PS5. A version of the game rewritten ground up for Series X in a similar fashion would reach 8K as well.

Or - and I know this might be hard to do - we just hear what the dev of the game actually says, who explains that for HIS game, HIS engine, the PS5 is simply better.

ethomaz

Banned
Didn’t even know this existed. Was it any good? Gran turismo for bikes?
Overall critics at time was good but the learning difficult was way bigger than Gran Turismo that generate some criticism.

IMO it is 8/10 game… sadly they never released a sequel.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I am guessing one of these things are helping this particular game help hit higher resolutions. Though i still wont declare victory yet. Not every game seems to be benefiting from higher clocks like this. At the end of the day, tflops are still the best metric for ingame performance.

s0n39Hi.png

Touryst is exactly that kind of scenario, I mean, it's a Switch game after all, it lushes nothing but pure polygons, there are no advanced shaders, particles and so on. I'm playing Art of Rally and that's another example of very basic graphics that should work better on PS5. But other than that, in any modern title, even cross-gens, this kind of design solution simply doesn't work that well, we're already seeing games regularly being rendered at 1400-1600p on PS5 vs 1800p-4K on XSX (so same scenarios as Pro vs 1X basically), where in theory it's the PS5 that should've push higher resolutions thanks to it's high frequencies, fillrate etc., but that's simply not the case, because there's way more in modern rendering than nust polygons.

Speaking of the game itself, while downsampling is nice, I've beed doing it on PC throughout entire OS4/XB1 gen, I highly recommend the 120FPS mode - the game still looks stunning but runs sooo damn smooth instead. And I hope the dev's mentioned next project is the sequel, because the game is absolutely amazing and I'd love to experience more of this stuff.

People sooner or later will realize that XSX split 560/336 GB/s setup isn't 'magical' and doesn't offer a 25% bandwidth advantage without any compromise in all cases as if it was a unified (whole) 560 GB/s solution.
Surprised MS cheaped out here really, should have just had the memory all at the same speed.

kyliethicc

Gotta love how John calls going from 6K on Xbox Series X to 8K on PlayStation 5 a "slight boost." Wonder if he realizes that 6K resolution is only 52.5% 56% the pixel count of 8K resolution (both in 16:9 ratio). That "slight" increase in internal rendering is basically DOUBLE the pixel count lol.

6K res (16:9) = 5568x3132 = ~ 17.44 million pixels
8K res (16:9) = 7680x4320 = ~ 33.18 million pixels

edit - had 6k a bit wrong

6K res (16:9) = 5760x3240 = ~ 18.66 million pixels

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

It's always comes to writing it to the machine ability, which just showed, that other games can do WAY better.

Arioco

Surprised MS cheaped out here really, should have just had the memory all at the same speed.

That would be substantially more expebsive, since it would force MS to add another 4 GB of RAM.

They are probably selling Series X at a loss already, there's no reasons to make things worse. MS didn't even want to launch a Series X DE at 399 to compete with PS5 DE, we got the Series S instead, so maybe it'd be to great of a loss. Besides, Series X is already a very powerful machine.

Banned
Gotta love how John calls going from 6K on Xbox Series X to 8K on PlayStation 5 a "slight boost." Wonder if he realizes that 6K resolution is only 52.5% the pixel count of 8K resolution (both in 16:9 ratio). That "slight" increase in internal rendering is basically DOUBLE the pixel count lol.

well it's a slight boost in image quality because both downsample to 4k, so in the end the difference is small

edit: btw, on a sidenote, wouldn't simply using 4x MSAA have a very similar image quality effect here? this game is basically mostly polygons with very little detail elsewhere, so MSAA should basically look almost identical to super sampling in this specific case, while also saving tons of performance...

Last edited:

Elios83

i was told vrr will role out around December once it is certified.

That was speculation based on the fact that Sony was supposed to release a new firmware enabling VRR support on their latest high end TVs in December and some people thought that Sony was waiting for that to implement the feature on PS5 as well.
As it turns out such update for Sony's TVs has started rolling out today:

So I guess it's now a matter of time until they focus on implementing VRR and 8K output on PS5.
Now that they're done with SSD support, external USB drives support and they have made some key improvements in the UI, it makes sense to focus on the missing promised video ouput features in their next big PS5 firmware update, but there's nothing confirmed atm.

Last edited:

Lysandros

The cost efficient unified 448 GB/s just like PS5 would put XSX at a worse spot as to 'bandwidth per teraflop' metric making the CUs even more bandwidth starved, remember XSX has 20% less cache bandwidth to begin with compared to PS5. Unified 512 GB/s setup would be preferable i think but faster GDDR6 chips' cost (maybe power requirement and heat also) was maybe too much.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
we're already seeing games regularly being rendered at 1400-1600p on PS5 vs 1800p-4K on XSX (so same scenarios as Pro vs 1X basically),
Not regularly, but very rarely (unless you're including games running in BC modes with PS4 Pro and Xbox One X settings?). And even in those rare cases where XSX is pushing higher resolution, it drops more frames, so that sets off on its own.

As in, if PS5 increases the resolution to match XSX's, it'll also drop more frames as XSX. And if XSX slightly lowers the resolution to match PS5's resolution, both will run at smooth 30 or 60.

Ultimately, both consoles turn out to be pretty similar with similar performances across the board.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's pretty cool. Won't buy the game as I finished it on Switch (one of the nicest looking games on that console), but I recommend it to anyone who wants a mellow little puzzle adventure.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Shin’en are tech wizards

they got this and fast on the switch running 60fps and a high resolution.

Nintendo should get them as a lock for more third or second party games
Tbh I think the touryst is one of their better designed games as most other are technically sound but lack design polish.

but 8K ?!! Are TV’s at that resolution anyway ? Isn’t it too high for the human eye to really notice it ?

Lysandros

Gotta love how John calls going from 6K on Xbox Series X to 8K on PlayStation 5 a "slight boost." Wonder if he realizes that 6K resolution is only 52.5% the pixel count of 8K resolution (both in 16:9 ratio). That "slight" increase in internal rendering is basically DOUBLE the pixel count lol.

Exactly. Thinking about it again, PS5 is pushing twice the number of pixels along with higher DOF and shadow quality at the same frame rate. That must be the biggest technical difference since the begining of the generation.

Last edited:

I think 6K would be

5760x3240 = 18.66 milion pixels

But your point still stands

Top Bottom