• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: The Touryst PS5 - The First 8K 60fps Console Game

yewles1

These last 17 pages have been far too technical for my liking.

GTFO OUT of here with all this clever analysis shit,

Fish needs simple stuff to make fun of, cry "lollipop_disappointed:
baja california fish GIF by Monterey Bay Aquarium

Very interesting.

PS5 can render at 8k thanks to the higher GPU clockspeed vs 6k at the Series X according to the developer. Bigger difference than Hitman 3, I assume?

Cerny redeemed?
Bandwidth factors more when it comes to resolution.

Series S gpu is faster than One X but One X got memory with bandwidth, so it higher resolution games.

I don't know how speed matters more now than bandwidth now

MrFunSocks

Banned
Have people bought this? Give it a buy. Excellent fucking game. Kids will love it, adults will appreciate it.
It's ok, definitely not a game I'd call an "excellent fucking game". As an adult myself it didn't hold my interest for too long. For kids, there's really not much fun to be had unless they just enjoy controlling a character and walking around and jumping with nice graphics but not doing much. Someone compared it to a Mario game earlier in the thread, which is one of the absolute worst comparisons you could ever make haha.

Series X version is a port of Xbox one whereas PS5 version is rewritten from ground up.

Most games and Hitman runs at higher resolution on SX. So i don't get how Tourist guys botched SX version lol.
They didn't "botch" the SX version, it's just a port of the Xbox One version. It using the GDK and being a "native" SX version just means it was compiled for Series X, not that it was re-written to use the strengths of the console like some warriors are pretending it does.

The devs said they re-wrote the engine specifically for the PS5. They didn't do this for the Series X. If anyone on here truly believes that The Touryst is possible in 8K60fps on the PS5 but only 6K60fps on the Series X then they don't know anything about these consoles.

The dev is trying to sell a port of a 18 month old game to a new crowd, and it's a crowd that contains a lot of people that trashed the game when it launched on the Series X because it was a next gen exclusive for Microsoft. How do you do that the most effective way? Flame those console wars! As someone else pointed out, the previous threads about this game had < 50 posts in them total. This one has a thousand or so, 100% because of the console warring angle that this has stirred up. The dev has played some of you like a fiddle. Good on him.

Last edited:
It's ok, definitely not a game I'd call and "excellent fucking game". As an adult myself it didn't hold my interest for too long. For kids, there's really not much fun to be had unless they just enjoy controlling a character and walking around and jumping with nice graphics but not doing much. Someone compared it to a Mario game earlier in the thread, which is one of the absolute worst comparisons you could ever make haha.

They didn't "botch" the SX version, it's just a port of the Xbox One version. It using the GDK and being a "native" SX version just means it was compiled for Series X, not that it was re-written to use the strengths of the console like some warriors are pretending it does.

The devs said they re-wrote the engine specifically for the PS5. They didn't do this for the Series X. If anyone on here truly believes that The Touryst is possible in 8K60fps on the PS5 but only 6K60fps on the Series X then they don't know anything about these consoles.

The dev is trying to sell a port of a 18 month old game to a new crowd, and it's a crowd that contains a lot of people that trashed the game when it launched on the Series X because it was a next gen exclusive for Microsoft. How do you do that the most effective way? Flame those console wars! As someone else pointed out, the previous threads about this game had < 50 posts in them total. This one has a thousand or so, 100% because of the console warring angle that this has stirred up. The dev has played some of you like a fiddle. Good on him.

I personally feel the dev simply had a lot more time to think about the PS5 version and made it count. Yea, it's an insane thought to think the Series X can't do this game in 8K lol. There's a reason the Series X's performance is so flawless cause it's got headroom. With an engine rewrite it too would rocking out at 8K. But without a doubt making the game 8K on PS5 definitely got their game a whole lot more attention. Believe it or not, I actually agree with the mario comparison. Mario back in the day was crazy simple too. This game gives me the same vibe I initially got from the first Super Mario back in the day.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I personally feel the dev simply had a lot more time to think about the PS5 version and made it count. Yea, it's an insane thought to think the Series X can't do this game in 8K lol. There's a reason the Series X's performance is so flawless cause it's got headroom. With an engine rewrite it too would rocking out at 8K. But without a doubt making the game 8K on PS5 definitely got their game a whole lot more attention. Believe it or not, I actually agree with the mario comparison. Mario back in the day was crazy simple too. This game gives me the same vibe I initially got from the first Super Mario back in the day.
Maybe mario back in the 8/16 bit days, but definitely nothing from Mario 64 onwards.

Last edited:

John Wick

Not true, there are also lots of games where resolution is equal or higher on PS5

Because the devs didn't optimize for PS5, but did for XSX.
See, works the other way around, too.
That thought doesn't work too well around here. There is always an excuse/reason whenever the SX isn't matching or below PS5. Remember the GDK? Tools? RDNA2 features aren't being utilised yet?
Yet the PS5 has no room for improvement. Remember how everyone here expected a first year title to max the IO and SD of the PS5?
It beggers belief the level some of the warriors on here will stoop to to defend their box. Especially the ones who try to pretend they are neutral. But the stench of fangirlism is soo strong coming from them.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
lol no, but still waiting for the receipts. When did XSX outperform PS5 in Call of Duty as you claimed?

As a matter of fact, PS5 outperformed XSX in Call of Duty Cold War. They both render at the same resolution and PS5 sticks to higher frame rates better than XSX (94% vs 91%). Vanguard is exactly the same on both consoles.
They are probably talking about the 60hz mode, but in 120fps with VRR support the Series X version is the best experience with all the screen tearing gone.

PS5's GPU is more powerful than Series X's in some aspects.
Yep, and this is the one game where pixel fillrate might actually be the bottleneck so PS5 can push higher resolutions.

Generally speaking though, in modern games, pixel fillrate is basically never the bottleneck.

arvfab

Banned
So Touryst devs didnt optimised for SX

Thank you for proving my point

So we can finally agree:

Both machines are equally strong, with different strengths based on dev and engine. Whenever one version is significantly worse than the other, it's because of unequal optimizations.

Basically, what non-fangirls are saying since forever.

Thank you for finally making any previous and future comparison discussion irrelevant.

So we can finally agree:

Both machines are equally strong, with different strengths based on dev and engine. Whenever one version is significantly worse than the other, it's because of unequal optimizations.
According to my last ban, this is canon in GAF. Claiming that one console is stronger than the other gets you banned.

Mr Moose

So Touryst devs didnt optimised for SX

Thank you for proving my point
Why do people keep lying about this game? First it's a BC game then... Stop it. Get some help.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They are probably talking about the 60hz mode, but in 120fps with VRR support the Series X version is the best experience with all the screen tearing gone.
No, we are talking about the GPU prowess in this thread (higher CU count vs. faster GPU clocks). So it means that XSX's wider GPU doesn't perform as well as PS5's narrower but faster GPU in COD just as it does in The Touryst.

Riky

$MSFT
No, we are talking about the GPU prowess in this thread (higher CU count vs. faster GPU clocks). So it means that XSX's wider GPU doesn't perform as well as PS5's narrower but faster GPU in COD just as it does in The Touryst.

It performs better in the 60hz mode in the stats you stated, also since then the Series consoles have had firmware updates as shown by Control which was retested that improved performance. The difference was also so small it is within margin of error, you can get slightly different results on the same machine in multiple tests, so I don't think it proves anything really.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It performs better in the 60hz mode in the stats you stated, also since then the Series consoles have had firmware updates as shown by Control which was retested that improved performance. The difference was also so small it is within margin of error, you can get slightly different results on the same machine in multiple tests, so I don't think it proves anything really.
It doesn't perform better in 60 Hz mode. Both are 99.9% locked at 60 FPS. In 120 FPS mode, we don't know if it improved the XSX performance on COD or made it even worse, so how can we take that into account based on assumptions?

So, unless proven otherwise with a test and actual data, the point stands that there are games (and not just small indie games) that would favor the PS5's GPU architecture, just as there are games that would favor the XSX's GPU architecture.

Do you agree? Or do you think that no, all games and game engines will only favor the XSX architecture and in all the games that PS5 has outperformed XSX is only because of an anomaly?

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
We don't know if it improved the XSX performance on COD or made it even worse, so how can we take that into account based on assumptions?

So, unless proven otherwise with a test and actual data, the point stands that there are games (and not just small indie games) that would favor the PS5's GPU architecture, just as there are games that would favor the XSX's GPU architecture.

Noticed you refuse to mention the 60hz mode in the Stats you quoted.
We know for a fact the firmware update made Control a solid 60fps without a patch for the game itself.

onQ123

Xbox Series X GPU is compute heavy with extra CUs in each shader engine so a lower fix function rendering hardware to compute ratio

about 9X the compute & pixel fill rate of Xbox One but only 4.5X the triangles per second but able to fill 10X the pixels according to Microsoft slides .

So going by these numbers a 1080P Xbox One game that's not bottlenecked by geometry , bandwidth & so on should be able to render around 6K (9X 1080P ) on Xbox Series X

dS4HJke.jpg

Loxus

I guess you seem to forgot that's not a feature exclusive to XBSX.
PS5: The Ultimate FAQ
Does PS5 support VRR?
PS5 hardware supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) through HDMI 2.1. After a future system software update, PS5 owners will be able to use the VRR feature of compatible TVs when playing games that support VRR.

Sony's PlayStation 5 VRR update imminent
After Sony has finally activated the long a awaited gaming feature via a firmware update on last year's Bravia LED TVs, the release of an according VRR update for the PS5 seems imminent.

Word on the street, the PS5 team has it working but can’t release it until the TV division has got their act together. It would create a strange marketing situation whereby you can use VRR on your Sony PlayStation so long as you don’t have a Sony TV.

So it's best you start your VRR rehab, so when the VRR update comes the PS5. It wouldn't hit you as hard.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Noticed you refuse to mention the 60hz mode in the Stats you quoted.
We know for a fact the firmware update made Control a solid 60fps without a patch for the game itself.
I had forgotten to address it, but edited my comment soon after. The 60hz mode does NOT perform better on XSX. Both PS5 and XSX hit 60 FPS 99.9% of the time, as evident in the stats VGTech shared.

For reference to you and everyone else, here is the spreadsheet again to verify that both consoles hit 60 FPS 99.9% of the time, so no advantage.

Now, can you answer my question?

Top Bottom