• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] The New PlayStation 5 CFI-1100 Review - Featuring Gamers Nexus!

3liteDragon

Yes, there's a new PlayStation 5 - and yes, the CFI-1100 model has a revised cooling solution... but to what extent do the changes actually matter to the end user, and is gaming performance unchanged? Steve Burke from Gamers Nexus joins us to give us the definitive word on the hardware revisions!
Gamers Nexus’ video:

There’s a change to Sony's PlayStation 5 heatsink in new models, so we worked with @Digital Foundry to get one for PS5 thermal testing, brief fan differences, & more. Digital Foundry contributed critical tests to validate the console's gaming performance. If there were major differences in this aspect of the console revision, it would impact us on the thermal testing side of things. DF's experience in the gaming performance aspect gave us reassurance in our testing, so please check out their video!

Last edited:
the dark knight joker GIF by hero0fwar

The one we've all been waiting for.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Steve: "DON'T PUT IT IN A MEDIA CABIENT OR ANY KIND OF ENCLOSED FURNITURE" 9:28 mark. DF Video
Steve: "Running at the maximum temperature confined in a media cabinet... now you're INCREASING the AMIBENT TEMPERATURE OF THE BOX, that will push you from inside the spec to technically OUTSIDE THE SPEC" 30:05 mark. Gamer Nexus Video
If you have a setup like the stress test setup then REMOVE YOUR PS5 FROM THERE! 18:49 mark. DF Video

I love his "I did leave the front door open on the cabinet, because I'm not a complete savage" there are so many gamer picture setups that actually have this setup, and some of them are posting "why am I getting artifacts in game X or Y on PS5?".

Will you nut cases that are making PS5 snuff pictures of "derp derp it fits so I puts it there" and then fight about it, would you just STFU and not smother your very expensive machine, realize that even EXCELLENT COOLING still needs reasonable provisions for ambient air to dissipate(sorry kids that doesn't happen magically). Sony itself TELLS YOU you need 1 INCH ALL AROUND the machine for clearance. Crazy people actually thought I was insulting Sony's PS5 design by telling them this, as I said umpteen times I wasn't. I was actually trying to help you.

I'm not sure what more you people jamming your PS5s into small media centre slots need to understand that it's an OBJECTIVELY BAD IDEA.

You can also see that a HOT PS5 runs games slightly slower in most cases.

Also, anyone WONDERING about the scientific method, and how to get excited about tables with actual GOOD results and REAL data, this is how you do it, by having STANDARIZED testing.

FFS I wasn't console warring, I was trying again to teach the unteachable that if you want to tout numbers they have to be GOOD DATA, not just random shit tossed together to win pissing contests.
By all means, if you need to have a pissing contest, this data is the best one to have it with.

This video shows you that Sony makes good hardware it can reach high temps, if you place it correctly aka NOT in a small enclosed box it will dissipate that heat and run for years to come, as Steve mentioned the audio differences of noise are that Sony doesn't use just one fan(they don't really care if it's quiet or not), to me this is their weakest part of Sony's design their ultimate attitude toward aural acoustics, I want a machine that is always quiet all the time, no lottery thanks. Different people care about different things.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
basically its the same thing between old and new model, just like the availability of the console.

Last edited:
In fact, the SOC runs hotter in the new model. Still, nothing to worry about. The main concern with the Ps5 thermals is still the same and applies to both models (mem. temps).

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
So what I said like weeks ago?

God people need to literally point this to Austin evans. Guy is a tool, and when he's called out plays the victim. Be honest that you have little knowledge Austin and are a product person not a engineer. Guy knows nothing of OS's beyond vista, and is not technical in anything he fucking does.

This proves seriously I think he needs to rethink how he presents his channel. The doxxing and all that shit is shitty and no one deserves that, but also know its on you to be responsible as a entertainer to yourself in making it so that stuff doesnt get to you or is dealt with knowing its a way of life for anyone in spotlight. News people deal with it on a daily basis.

Seriously hopefully this gets directed at him for literally being a tool and not answering legit feedback and using all the bad shit as his scapegoat.

assurdum

Banned
Omg finally. Couldnt trust sony's engineers with this, cant tell if they knew what they were doing with this revision.

Praise be to DF and GN for making absolutely sure I can turn on my ps5 whenever I want to play.

Sony should really take notes from them.
Danny Devito Lol GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
TLDR: No effect on performance. In the new PS5 the APU runs slightly hotter but the memory runs cooler than the old model. They're both fine.
Guess the people who said this was “slightly worse” as well as the people who said “hotter exhaust means it’s better at getting the heat out” were both wrong.

Slightly better in one way, slightly worse in another way, still within spec and no meaningful difference from the end user’s perspective, cheaper for Sony to produce.

yeah… it’s a revision. Not an upgrade or a downgrade.

LordOfChaos

Guess the people who said this was “slightly worse” as well as the people who said “hotter exhaust means it’s better at getting the heat out” were both wrong.

Slightly better in one way, slightly worse in another way, still within spec and no meaningful difference from the end user’s perspective, cheaper for Sony to produce.

yeah… it’s a revision. Not an upgrade or a downgrade.

Basically they were able to redesign saving metal and weight while staying pretty much the same all told

If I got one of the new units in an RMA I'd be totally fine, it's been much ado about nothing

winjer

Gold Member
Marginally better temperatures on VRMs and memory. Although very small difference, it's always good to have an improvement.
And a slight increase in SoC temperature. Around 4 degrees Celsius. Not a big problem.
But considering that the SoC, is the part that consumes more energy and generates more heat, it's not a good trade off.

Also, 71 Celsius might not seem like a high temperature, but we have to consider that these measurements were made with a probe atached.
This is not a reading inside the SoC. So temperatures will be significantly higher.
For example, modern GPUs can monitor several temperatures. The temperatures measured on the edge the die, are almost 15 degrees higher, than on the hottest spot.
I wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 SoC hotspot was running, in reality, at around 85 degrees celsius.
Now this is still safe for the chip. Usually, the max temperature is around 105 degrees.

lachesis

This video reminds me that perhaps I should take out my launch PS5 from my media cabinet.
I did notice that with after long period of playtime, the air around it is significantly warmer. Well, it's been summer alright, and I often turn on my fan/air circulator while I play - and shoot it towards the PS5 to blow out the hot air within.

Although I do have somewhat more room than what DF one shows.... I don't know... for whatever purposes and all, so far it's been working fine with some longer (4 hrs) of running without any issues.
I am actually hoping that "slim" version would happen soon. I don't think I want to showcase the PS5 outside, because it's so huge and eye-catching. :(

Top Bottom