• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF]: The Last of Us Part 1 PC vs PS5 - A Disappointing Port With Big Problems To Address

Buggy Loop

Miles Morales is also a PS4 game .

TLOU: Part 1 was recreated for PS5 & PC

Literally PS4 TLOU 2 engine… downgraded

Are you peoples for real? You really think 32GB VRAM is needed to match PS5?

You need to take your meds

Fp-NFLSw-WAAAm-yu.jpg

Fp-NE3a-RWYAEk-JLs.jpg

Fp-NFPGPX0-AMJh-Oh.jpg

PS5 here looks like a switch port comparatively when the devs are competent.

onQ123

Fp-NFLSw-WAAAm-yu.jpg

Fp-NE3a-RWYAEk-JLs.jpg

Fp-NFPGPX0-AMJh-Oh.jpg

I haven't said anything about 32GB or RAM

Miles Morales is also a PS4 game .

TLOU: Part 1 was recreated for PS5 & PC
Dude Miles Morales was created FOR the PS5 & PC!

- TLOU Part 1 is literally a recreated PS3 game with the same limitations from PS3 baked in. Literally a corridor game.
- TLOU Part 1 literally looks the same as TLOUS P2 but way less complexity compared to the vastness/open-ness of Part 2.

TLOUS P2 was created for the PS4. Are you saying that we need 50 TFLOPS, 32GB VRAM and 64 System RAM to match the PS4?
Seriously?

Last edited:

kingyala

Banned

- TLOU Part 1 is literally a recreated PS3 game with the same limitations from PS3 baked in. Literally a corridor game.
- TLOU Part 1 literally looks the same as TLOUS P2 but way less complexity compared to the vastness/open-ness of Part 2.

TLOUS P2 was created for the PS4. Are you saying that we need 50 TFLOPS, 32GB VRAM and 64 System RAM to match the PS4?
Seriously?
who gave you the idea that because a game is open world or vast then it means it requires more memory.. and again who gave you the idea that just because a game engine was used to make a ps4 and a ps5 game then it requires less memory... who comes up with this stuff? a game engine is just a tool to create games it doesnt have specific memory footprints jesus!

onQ123

Seriously?

JaksGhost

Seriously?
Miles Morales PC was released 2 years after it's debut on PS4/PS5. That game was not created for the PC unlike this one where it was explicitly stated in it's announcement.

onQ123

Seriously?
MM is PS5 , PS4 & PC

Also why in the hell do you people keep trying to connect the 32GB of VRAM to me? I didn't say any of that 😂

Miles Morales PC was released 2 years after it's debut on PS4/PS5. That game was not created for the PC unlike this one where it was explicitly stated in it's announcement.

HUh? you are not making sense. It just showed up on the pc but was not created for the PC....lol what?
Do you understand what a Port is? Or will fans say ANYTHING no matter how illogical it is to absorb Sony of any responsibilities/criticisms?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
32gb vram nonsense makes little sense when you see that this game is using ps2 quality textures in low settings and still uses 6gb of vram. This is poor optimization. Ps3 had better textures and it had just 256 mb of vram.

Not to mention the fact that this is a linear as fuck game with tiny levels and loading areas. You don’t need to use the ps5 io to stream in data in and out in a game like this. It literally has loading corridors. The game is 70 gb, has hundreds of individual areas, there is no way every single area in the game consists of 16 gb of data. If it did the game would’ve been 160 terabytes .

That’s just so dumb im losing brain cells just reading this discussion.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

Seriously?

200 TFLOPs, 128GB VRAM and 512GB RAM.

Tomi

Today's patch gonna fix a lot of issues

I hope they understand now not to hire Iron Galaxy for ports, and i hope Iron Galaxy will pay for damage to ND and Sony because tlou is one of the best games ever created for Playstation

Last edited:

Fp-NFLSw-WAAAm-yu.jpg

Fp-NE3a-RWYAEk-JLs.jpg

Fp-NFPGPX0-AMJh-Oh.jpg

Shit this game looks fantastic on PC.

I put about 150+ hours into it on PS5 and yeah, that looks great.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nah,
TSSSS.png

Buggy Loop Buggy Loop Give me that 128GB VRAM textures
What are we even arguing about here?
I finished that game multiple times and it's so dark and fast, I don't think I've looked at the ground once lol.
So yes, it looks worse but also - it's zoomed in and brighter than anything ever in that game

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
What are we even arguing about here?
I finished that game multiple times and it's so dark and fast, I don't think I've looked at the ground once lol.
So yes, it looks worse but also - it's zoomed in and brighter than anything ever in that game
Im not arguing anything, just pointed out that the difference in textures is not because of the resolution only.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I just finished it and for me outside of that controller issue, which were resolved, was virtually bug-less. Run like a dream and looked amazing on ultra wide.

I know I have HW to power through, but even then only other thing which was annoying is to have 7GB/s RAW SSD (SN 850x), is to have to wait for initial loading, which is long.

7950x3D
64GB RAM
RTX4090

I know, but I really didn't have any issues outside of bug which was fixed.

Stooky

Seriously?
Falling Down Lego GIF

Gaiff

New 15GB patch just dropped.

The Last of Us Part I v1.0.2.0 Patch Notes

A patch for The Last of Us Part I is now live. This update addresses fixes for performance, user experience, visuals, and more. It also includes platform and hardware-specific fixes.

Fixed a crash that may occur while quickly swapping between character skin thumbnails
Fixed a crash that may occur on version 1.0.1.6 during shader loads when booting the game for the first time
Fixed one known crash that would happen randomly during gameplay
Updated texture streaming to reduce CPU usage
Fixed an issue where DualSense and Xbox One controllers’ analog sticks failed to respond
Fixed an issue where extraneous SFX played in both main and in-game “Options” menus
Fixed an issue where the Depth of Field setting’s (Options > Graphics > Post-Effects Settings > Depth of Field) sharpness may change based on the Render Scale’s settings (Options > Display > Resolution Scaling > Render Scale)
Updated Graphics settings (Options > Graphics) user interface to accurately display VRAM usage
Fixed an issue where Environments Texture Quality setting (Options > Graphics > Texture Settings > Environments Texture Quality) did not display the correct VRAM usage
Fixed an issue where the pop-up to enable diagnostics after a crash did not appear
Fixed an issue where certain artifacts and weapon skins textures may not properly render
Fixed an issue with the tutorial’s user interface not displaying correctly
Fixed an issue where mouse wheel scrolling in menus with dropdown options may accelerate faster than intended
Increased active loading to reduce load times on gameplay progression
Fixed an issue where camera orientation may warp to cursor position after exiting the Pause menu
[Photo Mode] Fixed an issue where camera will not rotate in while in the Lighting tab
[The Quarantine Zone] Fixed an issue where the player and buddy characters may suddenly appear wet during gameplay
[The Quarantine Zone, Left Behind] Fixed an issue where lighting and texture may flicker during gameplay
[The Outskirts] Fixed a gap in geometry visible during gameplay
[The Suburbs] Fixed an issue where animations may fail to load during gameplay
[The Suburbs] Restored the window-breaking and car-shaking FX in the sniper in-game cinematic
[Tommy’s Dam] Fixed an issue where horse animations would fail to load during an in-game cinematic
[Bus Depot] Fixed an issue where water FX may appear choppy during gameplay
[The Firefly Lab] Fixed a LOD issue where enemy NPCs’ helmets may vanish or appear corrupted
Left Behind Standalone
Fixed an issue where watergun shots would appear to hit Riley but not register while using Slow Motion with V-Sync off
Fixed a crash that may occur while following Riley in the mall
Improved level of detail in the Halloween store
Fixed a crash that may occur when triggering the optional conversation at the Affordable Getaways poster
Fixed an issue where textures of narrative elements appeared low-quality in a cutscene
Updated ESDF control scheme in the arcade minigame to use ‘G’ as the alt key to better match gameplay punching input
Accessibility
Fixed an issue where the Screen Magnifier may fail to work
Fixed an issue where Navigation Assistance’s directional icon may clip through the player character model
Localization
[ENGLISH, HUNGARIAN] Adjusted language used when referring to the DualSense controller’s adaptive triggers and touch pad
[THAI, LATAM SPANISH, KOREAN] Corrected translations in menus
[SWEDISH] Added missing text-to-speech in menus
[SWEDISH] Corrected language on crash window
AMD
Fixed an issue where incorrect defaults for graphics settings were applied to AMD RX 5700 and RX 6600 Series GPUs
Steam Deck
Fixed an issue where PSO Caching may freeze at 50% completion
Fixed an issue where plugging in a DualSense controller while viewing cutscenes from the Cinematics menu may force a player into gameplay
Adjusted the user interface to show Steam Deck controls in the Screen Magnifier menu
Adjusted positioning of the Weapon and Health HUD elements
Epic Games Store Version
Fixed an issue where the “Who’s a Good Boy?” achievement did not unlock despite the player meeting the requirements
Fixed an issue where the sky may render black
We at Naughty Dog and our partners at Iron Galaxy are closely watching player reports to support future improvements and patches. We are actively optimizing, working on game stability, and implementing additional fixes which will all be included in regularly released future updates.

SlimySnake

Interesting bug list. I wonder how many of these bugs contributed to the poor vram usage and high cpu usage.

SlimySnake

Are they really though? Been a lot of issues lately of ports not running all that well with bad performance or stuttering issues

Generally the less demanding the game is, the less issues there will be.

I’m not defending ND, the port should be better, but trying to optimize well for non fixed hardware isn’t easy
While I agree that the state of PC gaming has been worse than ever. Especially the last six months or so, what this port is doing is simply unheard of. We have seen awful performance from hogwarts, gotham knights, and witcher 3, but thats mostly been tied to RT. RE4's crashes are exclusive to the RT mode. Turn off RT and all games run smooth as butter. TLOU doesnt even have RT. I can understand it being hard to optimize RT games for non fixed hardware, but standard rasterized games like TLOU?

And like said, we just havent seen CPU or VRAM usage like this before. 6GB at low 1080p with textures so poor they would look out of place in PS3 games? 100% CPU utilization with no NPCs, no physics, destruction, or anything happening on screen? WHy is staring a wall causing CPU to be pegged at 100%? If its not bugged then its poor engineering.

Again, if this was an open world game and they were using Cernys magic sauce to stream in data all the time then fine, but this game's levels are split into chunks and they literally do all the loading while you sneak through corridors or help ellie up ladders. There is no streaming going on while they are in a level. So why the 20GB system ram usage and 100% CPU utilization?

Ive been meaning to create threads on just how poor the PC ports have been lately, but using this game to show that when its actual issues are an outlier is unfair and simply inaccurate. This is ND's first foray into PC game development and they've simply botched it.

Pedro Motta

I just finished it and for me outside of that controller issue, which were resolved, was virtually bug-less. Run like a dream and looked amazing on ultra wide.

I know I have HW to power through, but even then only other thing which was annoying is to have 7GB/s RAW SSD (SN 850x), is to have to wait for initial loading, which is long.

7950x3D
64GB RAM
RTX4090

I know, but I really didn't have any issues outside of bug which was fixed.
Same here, near perfect experience. 5950x, 3090ti, 64gb ram.

SlimySnake

I can’t with this game. 10 minutes to download the patch. 30 minutes for it to install. I thought cerny said this would be a thing of the past three years ago.

Then the game says I’m not up to date on drivers. Fine but geforce now said I’m up to date so i start and it starts to rebuild shaders from 50%. Another 15 minutes pass and i can finally launch the game. It crashes. I reboot and it doesn’t even get to the main menu. Crashes. Tells me to verify game files on steam.

Sigh. Fine. It found four corrupted files and fixed them. Reboot. Crashes. Tells me to download the new drivers again.

I look online for this driver and yes, nvidia did release a hotfix on their website but not on geforce experience for some reason. I install it and to my horror, it starts to rebuild shades from scratch. Last time it took 40 minutes while my cpu ran at 85 degrees and 100% utilization like it’s sone cinebench benchmark.

I’m so done with this port.

yamaci17

I can’t with this game. 10 minutes to download the patch. 30 minutes for it to install. I thought cerny said this would be a thing of the past three years ago.

Then the game says I’m not up to date on drivers. Fine but geforce now said I’m up to date so i start and it starts to rebuild shaders from 50%. Another 15 minutes pass and i can finally launch the game. It crashes. I reboot and it doesn’t even get to the main menu. Crashes. Tells me to verify game files on steam.

Sigh. Fine. It found four corrupted files and fixed them. Reboot. Crashes. Tells me to download the new drivers again.

I look online for this driver and yes, nvidia did release a hotfix on their website but not on geforce experience for some reason. I install it and to my horror, it starts to rebuild shades from scratch. Last time it took 40 minutes while my cpu ran at 85 degrees and 100% utilization like it’s sone cinebench benchmark.

delete geforce experience
dont use it
trust me

you can limit cpu power limit to %99 in power plan advanced settings temporarily while shaders are being prepared btw

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

it uses vram+ram+ occasionally cpu resources

overlay that could cause problems here and there

game bar is a more reliable recorder than geforce experience (better compability)
Oh! You mean the overlay. I was thinking it in terms of using it to update drivers. Yeah i always turn off overlays if i'm having trouble with performance, especially since stuff like steam overlay is known to cause problems in specific games.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

It is some hotfix which isn't through the geforce experience, so I didn't install it. Also I have fullz updated Win11 Pro, maybe that could play a role.

Top Bottom