• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - The Best 4K TVs For 4K HDR Gaming: 2020 Edition

jts

...hate me...
Honestly I'd rather have my C9 be a little thicker and me not having an absolute panic crisis if I need to move it for any reason.

Jigga117

OLED dominates when there's lots of black on screen but when there's a lot of brightness the tables turn. :p

Among other problems like mentioned in the video with the clouds on QLED. For a long time I was trying to see which one works for me and OLED kept coming out on top. I can go into game mode and not lose anything for HDR/Dolby Vision vs QLED this is a problem. I have 4 HDMI 2.1 ports for multiple devices vs some models on QLED I would have to buy a HDMI 2.1 capable switch for the same thing. As low as 6ms for 120hz 1440p and expected for 4k@120hz. The plus on the OLED simply outweighed the benefits with the options for QLED at the end of the day. I was worried about image retention and burn in until I educated myself and saw the changes from year to year that LG worked into models. Pixel Shifter and Logo Luminance Adjustment combat the very concern about burn in that it hasn't been a With the C9 and newer models. The tv literally has everything I want for movies , everyday tv and gaming.

Last edited:

cyber_ninja

Would hdmi 2.1 be a big deal or will hdmi 2.0 will suffice for gaming on next gen consoles? I'm leaning towards Samsung's Qled 90R, but it only supports hdmi 2.0. I'd go with an LG's Oled, but I'm afraid of burn in.

Jigga117

Would hdmi 2.1 be a big deal or will hdmi 2.0 will suffice for gaming on next gen consoles? I'm leaning towards Samsung's Qled 90R, but it only supports hdmi 2.0. I'd go with an LG's Oled, but I'm afraid of burn in.

HDMI 2.0 should be fine for the most part. Just pay attention to the details

MacReady13

I had a cheap 4K LG tv that I purchased 3 years ago. It was a small 40-odd inch TV that did fine for the short term, but my real passion was to purchase a 55" OLED or QLED. Well I waited for the new 2020 models to arrive, and pulled the trigger on a 55" LG CX 2 weeks ago. The picture quality is outstanding! Movies look suitably dark in dark scenes and perfectly colorful in bright scenes! HDR games, in particular games like Spider Man and Horizon Zero Dawn look fucking unbelievable! If anyone has ANY doubts as to what these screens look like, please just take the plunge as you will not regret it! Gaming on these screens is just out of this world!
I still do always worry about burn in, but the measures that LG has taken leave me feeling quite confident this will not be an issue for many many years...

Jigga117

I had a cheap 4K LG tv that I purchased 3 years ago. It was a small 40-odd inch TV that did fine for the short term, but my real passion was to purchase a 55" OLED or QLED. Well I waited for the new 2020 models to arrive, and pulled the trigger on a 55" LG CX 2 weeks ago. The picture quality is outstanding! Movies look suitably dark in dark scenes and perfectly colorful in bright scenes! HDR games, in particular games like Spider Man and Horizon Zero Dawn look fucking unbelievable! If anyone has ANY doubts as to what these screens look like, please just take the plunge as you will not regret it! Gaming on these screens is just out of this world!
I still do always worry about burn in, but the measures that LG has taken leave me feeling quite confident this will not be an issue for many many years...

When you get a chance check out that Dolby Vision Netflix 6 Underground and Extraction :messenger_sunglasses:

No. Just make sure not to leave it on static images for extended periods of time. If you watch a network that has a constant static image or ticker (or a game that has a constant static hub) then you might want to vary your content from time to time (and avoid leaving it playing on those channels when you're not actually watching it). Make sure to turn pixel shifter on and you will be fine. Also do yourself a favor and look up some calibration settings.... rtings should have a pretty good base to start at that will make a huge difference from the factory settings.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All I'm going to say is if 4k gaming with the new systems is a big deal for you (probably is), make sure to get a system with HDMI 2.1 for that VRR thing.

Not sure how many tvs have it right at this moment, but might as help get a tv with that feature as SeX and PS5 games "should" support that feature for years to come.

Last edited:
My friend has one of the original curved screen 1080p OLEDs. Huge sports fan... pretty much stays on ESPN most of the day... and he often leaves the TV on when no ones at home and on most of the night too. It's honestly one more often than not.

Anyway his panel did suffer some burn in from all these years of neglect, the ticker is kinda burned in and he has "dirty screen" but he hardly notices it, even after I pointed it out to him with red/yellow screens on YouTube.

Yes, it can definitely happen if you neglect your panel like he did, but if you're even the least bit cautious about it and take the proper steps to avoid you will be fine even if you make a mistake every now and then. The people most worried about it aren't even the people that own then TVs most of the time I've noticed...

I have accidentally left my TV on overnight with a static screen on and got 0 burn in. I would think you'd have to leave it on for days on end to get it.
Okay, thanks for letting know! Just got it and it's amazing! Picture Quality and sharpness awesome! Playing Doom Eternal on Max with G-Sync enable, perfection

S0ULZB0URNE

Quick question, will I risk burn in if I left my tv on more than 4 hrs? Obviously it will be for me binge watching shows

Jigga117

Anyone can go out and find a forum and someone having burn in on a 3 year old model that didn’t have the features today’s models have but we know your stance you can’t seem to accept tech evolves so it’s in your nature apparently to stay stuck.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned

You are not suppose to run the pixel-refresher. It over works the system/panel. Pixel Refresher should only be manually used if there is a stuck pixel and it automatically runs in the background after every 2000 hours of use.

This guy running it every night is a fucking moron.

Welp, I'm having issues with my LG B9..... I have my PC connected to my TV, and it has been great! Yet, at randomly, my LG controller stops working, my screen flicks from the original settings and scales beyond the frame, and the sound stops working. Have G-Sync turned on and Windows HDR powered on. Is it my TV or my PC? When I switch back to my cable box, it's fine and after I change HDMI ports as well. I even bought a new cable

Jigga117

Welp, I'm having issues with my LG B9..... I have my PC connected to my TV, and it has been great! Yet, at randomly, my LG controller stops working, my screen flicks from the original settings and scales beyond the frame, and the sound stops working. Have G-Sync turned on and Windows HDR powered on. Is it my TV or my PC? When I switch back to my cable box, it's fine and after I change HDMI ports as well. I even bought a new cable
No one here is going to be able to just tell you is it your display or computer. We can’t troubleshoot it. Many factors can come into play. Try changing the HDMI cable. Is the tv connected to a Surround sound receiver? If you connect the computer straight to the tv. See if the issue is still there. Double check your drivers are all up to date.

If your only having a problem with just the computer then I am leaning towards a problem with that or the HDMI cable.

Last edited:
No one here is going to be able to just tell you is it your display or computer. We can’t troubleshoot it. Many factors can come into play. Try changing the HDMI cable. Is the tv connected to a Surround sound receiver? If you connect the computer straight to the tv. See if the issue is still there. Double check your drivers are all up to date.
Drivers are up to date, GSync is enabled, so far what fixed the problem right now was setting my HDMI port to PC and so far it's steady for now. I don't have an audio system yet

Ulysses 31

Quick question, will I risk burn in if I left my tv on more than 4 hrs? Obviously it will be for me binge watching shows
Burn in accumulates over time so as long as the TV's on the pixel wear out is happening, modern OLEDs are built around burn in so they have tricks to slow it down. So in short, don't leave OLED tvs on when you're not watching. :p

TheShocker

Love my Q70. It’s a big upgrade over the RU8000. Although the latest firmware seemed to have broken the 4k60hz freesync. Getting some inverse/corona ghosting on some games.

dolabla

This guy says he's going back to OLED from QLED. He compared his 2017 OLED to the 2020 model and brightness is a significant improvement. Also said the CX OLED seems to be the tv with most pop compared to Q90R QLED, even in bright scenes and bright viewing conditions.

He also states that he is looking forward to QUANTUM OLED, which will be coming out next year by Samsung. Although there are gonna be excellent new technologies coming out this year, its still carrying residual traits of previous years technologies. Besides Xbox Series X and PS5 coming out this year, real innovations in:

UHDTV
Laptop/Tablet/Desktop
Smartphones: Android and Iphone
5G/Wifi6
Sound

and others I cant think of will be actually coming out in 2021.

Moses85

Ok, so I will sell my 2018 65 LG OLED and Upgrade in October/November. I guess 75 will still be to expensive for me.

This is weird. While 2019 C9 etc support full bandwidth 48gbps 2.1, the 2020 TVs dont support HDMI 2.1 fully.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...d-tvs-dont-support-full-hdmi-21/#144df5356276

Sounds like it won't make a real world difference but if you are worried go get a 2019 model. I think LG is making a mistake because it's models are basically a no-brainer move for gamers with the new consoles coming out. It probably still is but it was one of the selling points for me buying a cx back in 2019.

Top Bottom