• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - The Best 4K TVs For 4K HDR Gaming: 2020 Edition

Actually, when I consider that, I see that they could have chosen to take game mode seriously and truly disable all non-essential processing, but chose not to.

If they really took lag seriously they would have optimized for it, and let the end user opt in for whatever extra processing he wants at his own choosing.

You’re working backwards from your narrative. Not only is 20ms on 950g to 15ms on Samsung Q90R FALD truly imperceptible, but you can turn off local dimming on Sony sets if you want terrible blacks and bloom.

The game mode lag tests on rtings are just default game mode measurements.

I do find it hilarious however, some gamer is going to spend 5500 on the Samsung FALD qled 900ts this year only to have grey blacks and blooming in games 👌

So yes you can buy a different brand if that lower number on the spreadsheet is the be all for you, but I am hinting at mislead priorities.

Fake

But that don't mean the the picture quality is practically the same, video processors can enhance colors/black levels, movement and even brightness like with Panasonic latest.
Who tha hell said that? o0
Picture quality processor still play a huge role in brand market. Thats why I find Bravia TVs overall better with their x-reality pro, but I understand they need to focus more in reduce input lag while game mode is on + HDR.

Last edited:

dolabla

I think 48 " will be great and a sweet spot of peripheral view, pixel density and big screen.

Definitely agree with this. I think the 48"/49" type size is great. 43" as well. My Sony X800D 43" (VA panel) looks really sharp. It was and is a great budget tv and I've not been able to find anything like it since. I tested the 43" Samsung Q60R last year and it was horrible compared to my Sony. Both are edge lit, but the Samsung had light bleed like hell and the image just had a washed out look. Dirty screen is pretty much non existent on the Sony too.

Ah, appreciate the explanation.

I do care about those things, I’ve just struggled getting my head around HDMI 2.0 with 2.1 features, full 2.1, HDMI ports that reviewers don’t even know the capability of etc. Then there’s Samsung’s complexities on top of that (which have put me off the TV now - FALD being gimped in game mode mainly).

Looks like I’ll be going with the C9 despite my B6 being a mess and swearing off OLED.

4k 120hz isn't a big deal to me now since my TV is only used for consoles. Maybe by the time we actually start getting 120fps games, I'll be up for a new TV upgrade anyways.

I bought a Q80R fully expecting that I was going to replace it with a HDMI 2.1 tv this year, but this years LCDs aren't all getting me all that excited so I may hold on to it for another year. Sony doesn't have a high end HDMI 2.1 LCD, Samsungs 8K QLEDs might be an option but I would need to see how content scales in 8K. OLED is out because of burn in.

Last edited:
Actually, when I consider that, I see that they could have chosen to take game mode seriously and truly disable all non-essential processing, but chose not to.

If they really took lag seriously they would have optimized for it, and let the end user opt in for whatever extra processing he wants at his own choosing.
Well said.

S0ULZB0URNE

Until Sony starts taking input lag as seriously as Samsung and LG do, they will never win any comparisons for gaming TV's against those manufacturers. These days even the Chinese brands like TCL, Hisense, Vizio, etc. offer superior input lag to Sony. It's the one thing that Sony will need to take seriously if they want to be taken seriously as gaming TV's. Why Sony, the company that makes Playstation, doesn't seem to take input lag that seriously is a mystery that only vast Japanese conglomerates with many independently moving parts can answer to.

Sony can offer all the superior color quality and processing/upscaling they want, but if they aren't willing to improve their input lag they will not be taken seriously in reviews of gaming TV's.
X800H has lower input lag than other TV's.
Hopefully the X900H follows it.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Low input lag, good picture quality.
We are on a gaming forum, duh...
If used for a monitor or heavy gaming I don't recommend OLED due to burn in but if you decide that's not a issue get a Panasonic OLED.

If burn in is a issue and you want HDMI 2.1 consider the upcoming Sony X900H(that's the one I'm looking at) Samsung Q80T but that only has one HDMI 2.1 port and no Dolby Vision support.
TCL 6 series 2020 will also cover all the bases and has mini LED tech plus the TCL 8 series 2020 will as well but I'm not sure how it's input lag will be this year( was soso last year)
Vizio has a few HDMI 2.1 sets coming as well and they have Dolby Vision plus HDR 10+ even though I don't see HDR 10+ as a need.

Samsung and Sony also have new 8K displays with HDMI 2.1

4k 120hz isn't a big deal to me now since my TV is only used for consoles. Maybe by the time we actually start getting 120fps games, I'll be up for a new TV upgrade anyways.

I bought a Q80R fully expecting that I was going to replace it with a HDMI 2.1 tv this year, but this years LCDs aren't all getting me all that excited so I may hold on to it for another year. Sony doesn't have a high end HDMI 2.1 LCD, Samsungs 8K QLEDs might be an option but I would need to see how content scales in 8K. OLED is out because of burn in.

I have high hopes for DirectML. I expect we will see quite a few games with 120FPS. Not just BC. 8K may even be possible for some games.

Reviews of this years Samsung 950TS / 900TS says 8k upscaling is a HUGE improvement over last year. Given that, HDM2.1 and the upgrade in Brightness it's hard to not like it. Gaming mode is 9ms, new this year is an enhanced visual gaming mode with 23ms latency for non-competitive games. No Dolby sucks.

Sony's blew it this year for gamers. If memory serves only the new 900 is worth getting. The top end is missing 2.1.

LG as always is a top choice with the CX/GX OLEDs.

Im kind of interested in the TCL Virdrian 8K and new 4k Vizio top of the line too.

Looking to buy this year or next. 75"-85" size. No rush, want a street price under 6k.

Xellos

What is the best 65-75 inch tv to buy right now, preferably for less than $3k?

LG C9 offers the best performance: excellent picture, supports HDMI 2.1, 13 ms input lag. If you're worried about OLED burn in, then Sony Z9F is a good option. Vincent Teoh of HDTV Test gives a thorough review of the pros/cons of Z9F here. Long story short: it's excellent for SDR, has some issues with blooming/elevated black levels in HDR, only HDMI 2.0, 23ms input lag. Still a great TV at its current price in my opinion. If LED with HDMI 2.1 is a must then I'd wait for more options.

jts

...hate me...
I have a 65 C9 and it's amazing, but can't wait for the PS5/XsX to really make it sing.

This thread might be as good as any other to ask this:

Why aren't there 32" 4K TVs? I have a really small room where I'd like to have a TV and I don't understand why can't it be a TV when such panels exist for monitors. I want the smart tv capabilities to not need dongles and shit to get apps (so no monitor), and I want the ability to eventually use it as a monitor, and for that 32" 1080p kinda sucks.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Why aren't there 32" 4K TVs? I have a really small room where I'd like to have a TV and I don't understand why can't it be a TV when such panels exist for monitors. I want the smart tv capabilities to not need dongles and shit to get apps (so no monitor), and I want the ability to eventually use it as a monitor, and for that 32" 1080p kinda sucks.
They exist.

Reactions: jts

Hostile_18

Banned
For me a accurate image is the most important (then input lag). Letting the developers show me how a game is meant to look rather than letting my tv decide is so important.

Always OLED unless you are the type of person that leaves the tv running all day. The difference in picture quality is just mind blowing.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Im waiting for AV Receivers to implement full HDMI 2.1, then Ill look at TVs. Need a new TV for my attic setup but in no rush.

Dont really want to spend so much on a TV and AVR and then rely on eARC...

im not buying a 4kUHD tv until black Friday of this year. Its gotta have the minimum:

HDR10+
Dolby Atmos
HDMI 2.1 with AMD Freesync-Variable Refresh Rate
Wifi6 Built-in

Jigga117

im not buying a 4kUHD tv until black Friday of this year. Its gotta have the minimum:

HDR10+
Dolby Atmos
HDMI 2.1 with AMD Freesync-Variable Refresh Rate
Wifi6 Built-in

then you want an OLED based on your requirements minus the + for HDR10. Only a couple of the models I believe have wifi 6 and I think those are the 8k models. Outside of that 5ghz WiFi AC suffices If you can’t just use Ethernet

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Im waiting for AV Receivers to implement full HDMI 2.1, then Ill look at TVs. Need a new TV for my attic setup but in no rush.

Dont really want to spend so much on a TV and AVR and then rely on eARC...

The lack of adoption of HDMI 2.1 on receiver is odd to me. Usually I feel like receivers are ahead of the curve when it comes to features but this time they are late as hell.

cyber_ninja

LG C9 offers the best performance: excellent picture, supports HDMI 2.1, 13 ms input lag. If you're worried about OLED burn in, then Sony Z9F is a good option. Vincent Teoh of HDTV Test gives a thorough review of the pros/cons of Z9F here. Long story short: it's excellent for SDR, has some issues with blooming/elevated black levels in HDR, only HDMI 2.0, 23ms input lag. Still a great TV at its current price in my opinion. If LED with HDMI 2.1 is a must then I'd wait for more options.

Burn in is a big fear in my case, our tv tends to be put on pause quite a lot.

Nydus

Gold Member
Hmpf I really can't bring myself to upgrade from my b7 to anything newer. The new HDMI standard is the main draw but I would also need a new GPU that supports it and a new AV receiver that also supports it. Ah this hard first world problems can really drain your mental energy!

RPS37

LG OLED65E9PUA E9 Series - 65" 4K HDR Smart OLED TV w/ Al ThinQ (2019 Model) https://www.newegg.com/product/9SIAJKJ95U7814?m_ver=1

6UyhmMS.jpg

Dude. Is it really that thin? I always thought my KS8000 was super thin but that seems insane. I want it. Only 2 grand too.

6UyhmMS.jpg

Dude. Is it really that thin? I always thought my KS8000 was super thin but that seems insane. I want it. Only 2 grand too.

Yes sir, this is a great buy... if I hadn't just bought a 65 C8 last year I would be getting this for sure, but I don't really have the need for a 3rd 65 inch OLED. It is very tempting though.

Top Bottom