• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - The Best 4K TVs For 4K HDR Gaming: 2020 Edition

Shambala

You're a thief of your own wallet if you buy a Sony and not an LG, especially as a gamer.
The former has better color accuracy but almost everything else the Koreans got them beat - price, features, hardware, os.

I wanted a Sony because of brand and experience with it since early 1990s.
But all things considered (especially the ui) I'll go with LG GX 65, did not like LG before but gotta give them credit where due.
I was the same. Till I realized what I was getting for my money with an lg purchase. Can’t go wrong with the lg purchase. Sony oleds only have better image processing mostly. Lg is the better all round device 💪

dolabla

48" LG CX OLED comes out in June (in the US). Price will be $1500 at launch, but waiting a few months you will probably be able to get it at or quite possibly under $1000.

No other set will be able to compete at that size. TV is fully loaded with gaming features. I'm planning to snag one.

Last edited:
Why didn't they include the LG Nanocell? it seems to me to be the best non OLED for gaming. Also the
SAMSUNG QN32Q50RAFXZA seems to be the best small tv imo

48" LG CX OLED comes out in June (in the US). Price will be $1500 at launch, but waiting a few months you will probably be able to get it at or quite possibly under $1000.

No other set will be able to compete at that size. TV is fully loaded with gaming features. I'm planning to snag one.

It’s priced really badly because the 55 inch is only a few hundred extra and is available now. I wouldn’t go for an oled personally.

Last edited:

dolabla

It’s priced really badly because the 55 inch is only a few hundred extra and is available now. I wouldn’t go for an oled personally.

There's really nothing else at least around that size that will have the features like FreeSync, GSync, VRR, 120hz BFI, etc. I am still a little worried about burn in, but from everything I've read, if you vary the content it should be fine. OLED's always seem to get the best picture awards.

dolabla

To me, that says 'hey, lets put a $300 premium on this because all the gamers will want one'.

..$1500 for a 48in screen is gouging of the worst kind.

Yep, I'm gonna wait for a sale. I thought it would have been like $1000-$1200. Was surprised to see it at $1500.

There's really nothing else at least around that size that will have the features like FreeSync, GSync, VRR, 120hz BFI, etc. I am still a little worried about burn in, but from everything I've read, if you vary the content it should be fine. OLED's always seem to get the best picture awards.

This is true, but I do not like the idea of having to keep worrying about burn in and adapt my viewing habits for an expensive tv.

sublimit

Banned
Thanks but no thanks. Panasonic all the way.

When i will upgrade i will go for either Panasonic GZ2000 or the GZ950.

Prices on the 65 inch E9 are really good rn, tempted to make the upgrade but I don't really need a 3rd 65 inch OLED. Now when that 77 inch C9 drops some more...

People always complain about burn in on OLED and they have the right to do so. Having said that, if my oled got burn in, I'd buy another oled. The picture quality is that good.

Skyr

If you ever got a chance to use an oled tv then you won't be able to go back to lcd.
Well, if you are the type of guy that mainly likes to watch sports in brought daylight conditions I would still recommend a QLED over an OLED. It has it's benefits.
But for pretty much anything else ye..

i always find it funny when people complain about the "lack of brightness" on OLEDs... meanwhile I'll be watching a movie and be practically blinded when a scene switches from pitch black to a bright scene... but only brightness matters apparently and black levels are an after thought.

I never have issues watching it during the day (ie bright conditions), but glare from lights is a real thing when the screen is on a dark scene.

Also for the people who are afraid of burn in... I owe a 65 E6P, 55 B7 and a 65 C8. Both 65s were bought off the floor as display models. The E6P I bought from Best Buy and is perfect to this day, never had a single issue with it playing games or as a computer monitor.

The C8 I got from Conns and it had MAJOR burn in from the stupid video loop they play while on display. I sent LG an email like 2 days after buying it and within 2 days LG sent some one to completely replace the panel for free, in my home... something that the repairman said ONLY LG does (only for OLEDs probably).

So that, combined with all the critical acclaim that OLEDs always receive... because you know, it is a fact that it us superior technology, combined with the fact that they are also pretty much the only large displays that can do VRR at a very affordable price, and that ganers can take advantage ifvthis technology now, makes it a pretty obviously winner in tge field of best display device.

Shadow is a clown. A very dark grey clown with screen tearing.

I don’t want to drop £2k on a tv every year, but oled is definitely much better.
I've had my B8 for almost 2 years and so far, so good. I don't like to keep my TVs more than 5 years so if this last for 5 years, great. If it gets burn in year 3, I'm not concerned. I'd just buy another oled and will keep doing so till micro led is ready. Plus, LGs customers service is really good so I'm not too worried tbh.

Flowxrz

Neo Member
It supports 4K 120 8 bit at 4:2:0, since that fits within HDMI 2.0's bandwidth. HDMI 2.1 supports 4K/120 10 bit at 4:4:4

I see. Would that be a substantial difference? The more I Google the topic the less I understand.

I’m very close to buying the Q90R but I don’t want it missing anything beneficial for next gen.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

Waiting for the Covid-19 to pass and once BestBuy opens I’m grabbing an LG GX 77”. Can’t wait for the new consoles.

I've had my B8 for almost 2 years and so far, so good. I don't like to keep my TVs more than 5 years so if this last for 5 years, great. If it gets burn in year 3, I'm not concerned. I'd just buy another oled and will keep doing so till micro led is ready. Plus, LGs customers service is really good so I'm not too worried tbh.

Sounds like LG are a good company. I would prefer Sony myself, but the price difference is quite large.

REDRZA MWS

Sony have better image processing than their competitors and I like it to match my console of choice too.
Not true. When it comes to TV’s I have been a SONY guy MY ENTIRE LIFE. From the Trinitron to the Wega, to the XBR. When it comes to TV’s today, at the present time, LG’s OLED’s are second to NONE.

Not true. When it comes to TV’s I have been a SONY guy MY ENTIRE LIFE. From the Trinitron to the Wega, to the XBR. When it comes to TV’s today, at the present time, LG’s OLED’s are second to NONE.

I will give them a serious look when I purchase my next tv for next gen.

Sony OLEDs are nice, they supposedly have slightly better image processing but at the expense of added latency. I turn off all post processing on all my TVs anyway so I'd rather have lower response time and a lower price than worry about my TV matching one of my consoles. Can you even use a Sony remote on your PS4? I don't think so...

Fake

I guess Sony indeed have the 'better quality image process', BUT thats not the way 'perfect picture quality' transtale. Everything close to human eye or real life is the perfect quality.

From all brands ways of process the image before is display, Bravia are the best, but thats not say they have the 'best image' because is all in conjuction with callibration and panel quality. From naked eyes maybe Sony is the best.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
LG B9

Why does everyone skip over the B9? :|

Keihart

LG UK6300 (IPS): the best small 4K TV for HDR gaming

No black frame insertion makes that a no from me. I like motion clarity.
Are you talking about those like "real motion" effects?
I hate them, i've heard that some OLED Tvs need it or they have ghosting but i haven't see that happen in mine and its deactivated, i have a LG55B7P :pie_thinking:

I see. Would that be a substantial difference? The more I Google the topic the less I understand.

I’m very close to buying the Q90R but I don’t want it missing anything beneficial for next gen.

It won't be able to do 4k 120hz HDR. 2018 QLEDs also have VRR, I am assuming 2019 have it too. If you don't care about 4k 120hz HDR and you can get this TV at a good price, it will be a good choice for next gen.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Are you talking about those like "real motion" effects?
I hate them, i've heard that some OLED Tvs need it or they have ghosting but i haven't see that happen in mine and its deactivated, i have a LG55B7P :pie_thinking:
I'm not sure if you're talking about motion interpolation or not. I'm talking about inserting black frames in between actual frames to cut down on image persistence in your eyes. It sort of emulates what happens in a CRT (but not nearly as good)

Keihart

I'm not sure if you're talking about motion interpolation or not. I'm talking about inserting black frames in between actual frames to cut down on image persistence in your eyes. It sort of emulates what happens in a CRT (but not nearly as good)

Yeah, that's exactly it. Old LCD TVs used to do it to fake higher framer rate too didn't they? The fake soap opera effect as they call it.
No idea why you compare it with CRT tvs tho, CRT tvs don't look like interpolated black frames on LCDs or OLED.
Edit: i read on the links you quoted, i guess you took from there, no really the same but i guess they meant that is a way to reset the pixels faster emulating the natural dim of the on CRT. It looks completely different tho.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah, that's exactly it. Old LCD TVs used to do it to fake higher framer rate too didn't they? The fake soap opera effect as they call it.
No idea why you compare it with CRT tvs tho, CRT tvs don't look like interpolated black frames on LCDs or OLED.
Motion interpolation is making fake frames which is the soap opera effect.

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about BFI, black frame insertion.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
BTW, motion interpolation is the king of high input latency. Just turn ON if you want a Stadia experience.
Most of them are shit for input lag, yes.

Samsung, however, has a decent low latency interpolation for games. It's good to get 30 fps to 60 so that you don't have double images during scenes with fast motion on a 60Hz screen.

Top Bottom