• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Switch Lite Review

Fake

The Switch that cannot switch sounds like a non-starter, but this new stripped back rendition of the hardware focuses on what the platform does best - deliver brilliant handheld gaming. Here's the Digital Foundry verdict on the new system.

Last edited:
Excellent choice to have a white D-pad/buttons with inset symbols and a white rubber analog stick. Neither will look absolutely disgusting in a few weeks once they are full of dead skin and what ever was all over Billy's hands..

I do like the blue though, I had a DSi in that color.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Since i own a switch lite and got it for fighters on the go.

Yeah.. love the formfactor.
But ffs that dpad LOL

-Arcadia-

Banned
A good review. It’s a fantastic dedicated handheld.

Is it for original Switch owners that would take a big step back in functionality by replacing it with this? Probably not. Is it for original Switch owners who want an additional small handheld to compliment their Switch? Maybe, although it seems excessive.. I’m trying this, and it comes with some slight ease-of-use caveats, although is more viable than I thought.

For someone who hasn’t bought into Switch? For someone who may find price a big deal, or isn’t all that interested in console functionality and extra features, versus being an excellent, small handheld? Absolutely. They’re getting a top-notch library and a crazy amount of technical capability for a handheld, for $200.

Caayn

I might've missed it but is this yet another review of the Switch that doesn't include any information regarding the brightness and readability of the screen when it's used outdoors.

TheContact

it is a great console. i am slightly depressed that my OG switch has a 2-3 hour battery life and the newer models and the switch lite have more than doubled it. the one gripe I have with the switch is that it lasts me a good 2 hours at most (i usually put brightness all the way up)

Kazza

I'm still thinking that the Lite is still a little big for a portable, but in fact it isn't too much bigger than the Vita:

vita-vs-lite.jpg

Barakov

Outside of the drift issues sounds like they did good with this. I prefer to play games on my TV so I'll stick with the OG Switch for now.

radewagon

Outside of the drift issues sounds like they did good with this. I prefer to play games on my TV so I'll stick with the OG Switch for now.

:pie_diana: ... but the drift issues... It's a design flaw that Nintendo has known about and then replicated on their second attempt at a Switch. Sounds like that makes it so we shouldn't be able to say they good at all with the lite.

-Arcadia-

Banned
:pie_diana: ... but the drift issues... It's a design flaw that Nintendo has known about and then replicated on their second attempt at a Switch. Sounds like that makes it so we shouldn't be able to say they good at all with the lite.

Well, we don’t know anything right now. That guy with the ‘drifting’ Switch Lite apparently came forward to say it was a manufacturing defect.

All we have to go on, is that the Lite’s analog housing looks similar, but is numbered differently with what looks like small changes from the Joy-Con, and a popular (and skilled) teardown YouTuber saying he thinks it’s the same, but different materials not so prone to breakdown could be involved, but he doesn’t know.

So, pretty much all we can do for now is discuss the rest of the unit, and wait the months or year (the latter was my case) it’ll take to show up, if it does. People will just have to make a decision whether they’re okay with taking the plunge in the absence of that knowledge. At least, warranty and free U.S. repairs (if extended to the Lite) should cushion that.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

I’m on that same boat. I mostly play docked. However, it does seem like a great product for kids.

Top Bottom