• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Scarlet Nexus: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Tech Breakdown - A True 4K60 On Next-Gen?

Riky

$MSFT
Considering almost nobody has a VRR display, and most people have Ps5s, it’s great that it performs so well.

Edit: Greez Ricky, you’re so easily triggered. Grow the fuck up you child.

I think it's you who needs to, we've just had a poll on this very forum where a significant percentage of people said they do have VRR capable display, it's not just TV's that support it, you don't need a HDMI 2.1 display.
That's why I laughed at your " nobody" has one comment.

Last edited:
The people I mentioned in my post, you seem to fit the bill with all your posts in this thread. Thanks for confirming.

No problem.

Both machines cost about the same so why should there be some huge gulf in performance? Sure you can buy a PS5 DE if you like paying full price for everything and lose out massively in the long run but not sure where this great underdog tale is coming from where XSX has to be well clear otherwise it's a fail.

Don't ask me. Ask this one

Last edited:

skit_data

Both machines cost about the same so why should there be some huge gulf in performance? Because some of the bigger boys made you feel bad and shout at your screen pre-release?

Sure you can buy a PS5 DE if you like paying full price for everything and lose out massively in the long run but not sure where this great underdog tale is coming from where XSX has to be well clear otherwise it's a fail.
I actually thought there would be a bigger difference pre-release. Not huge, but bigger. I expected DRS vs Native 4k to be the difference based on how MS marketed their console and the way several tech sites reported on the spec differences.

I’m all happy, I bought a PS5 because I prefer their games and having the two consoles perform pretty much exactly the same is a good bonus until Xbox starts delivering their 1st party bangers. Fuck, when I ordered the PS5 it was completely unclear wether it would even have BC on more than a few selected titles and reports of it struggling to hit 60 fps at 1080p was at an all time high.

Both are great consoles but I still suspect a lot of PS buyers got more than they expected vs Xbox buyers when it came to the res/fps cannonfodder.

Mister Wolf

How many people have a VRR TV? I don't and don't know anyone that does. Is it like a 2020 and newer feature? Seems like a great misdirection for those defenders of frame drops.

People that can afford luxury items/features don't concern themselves over why others don't have it. Would be like me downplaying luxury features in an automobile like heated seats because most people don't own a car with that feature amongst other things.

Last edited:
Looks like I was right. OP mentioned SeX drops to 53fps at some points, and that PS5 offers better performance in like-to-like comparisons. Like I said, they need to broaden the DRS range.
OP now. When you have VRR one got no issues and enjoy the best console experience. DF should be ashamed of themself's

0IKErBn.jpg

People that can afford luxury items/features don't concern themselves over why others don't have it. Would be like me downplaying luxury features in an automobile like heated seats because most people don't own a car with that feature amongst other things.
Do DF only use the bare minimum spec PC's when doing comparisons or is it High Eng PC's with RT cards. I would imagine more people own a VRR capable TV than a high-end RTX or TI card

Thirty7ven

Banned

It’s an if thing. If you have a TV with VRR and a XSX then great. Let’s not pretend it’s anything close to being common. Normally Xbox fanboys, even those without a VRR tv will drum about it, but you can’t say XSX version performs better than the Ps5 version and that’s a fact.

Last edited:
You can blame Xbox fans which, since last year, touted loudly 12 TF full power RDNA 2 one and only, 52CUs matter for RT, it will obliterate PS5, PS5 is RDNA 1 9 TF console and what not. XSS is faster than PS5 at half the price. :/ So, when you see how games are so close on PS5 and XSX, yeah, it is delicious to see some pissed Xbox fans. Just look at this one.

How the hell DF could allowed to show this, but MS gave them XSX consoles. I mean, i don't get it.:/

Seriously, you are only here for fuel the console war no ?

Last edited:

SirVoltus

• Dynamic 4K on PS5 and XSX. Native 4K during exploration, and 1296-2160p during heavy fight scenes. 1440p is more common. Identical image quality.
  • 1440p max on XSS. 900p-1296p during fight scenes. 1296p is more common. Lower image quality.
  • Upscaling and reconstruction is great on all consoles, and look very 4K-ish clean.
  • 60 FPS on all platforms.
  • Series S struggles to hold 60 FPS occasionally during exploration and mostly during each fight scene.
  • Xbox Series X has some frame drops during fight scenes.
  • PS5 also has some minor frame drops during fight scenes, but it is the most stable of all the 3 consoles tested.
  • PS5 has a 0.5 to 1.5 second advantage in loading time. ~6 seconds on PS5 vs. ~7 seconds on Xbox.
Even gtx 1060 can get avrg 60 fps on high setting @1440p, doesn't series S have better gpu ? And i wonder why PS5 and XSX should touch that 1440p territory for this game.. ?

Last edited:

scydrex

I think it's you who needs to, we've just had a poll on this very forum where a significant percentage of people said they do have VRR capable display, it's not just TV's that support it, you don't need a HDMI 2.1 display.
That's why I laughed at your " nobody" has one comment.
Sure because the majority of gamers are here on this forum right? I don´t have a VRR display or even a 120hz. My tv is 60hz without VRR. Here we are enthusiast sure here we can imagine a lot of people have TV that support VRR but those people here who don´t have a TV with VRR support add them to number of people outside of this forum who doesn't have a VRR display. So what will be the majority?

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Sure because the majority of gamers are here on this forum right? I don´t have a VRR display or even a 120hz. My tv is 60hz without VRR. Here we are enthusiast sure here we can imagine a lot of people have TV that support VRR but those people here who don´t have a TV with VRR support add them to number of people outside of this forum who doesn't have a VRR display. So what will be the majority?

There is a significant difference when you are saying that "nobody" has a VRR capable display to the "majority"
The "majority" don't even have a next gen console yet.

Truespeed

I've been away and it looks like the goal posts have moved again. So we now need a TV with specialized circuitry to give one console the advantage because it doesn't have the horsepower to maintain a framerate?

I44cJcR.jpeg

Also, has that fixed XSX SDK dropped yet or are they still fine tuning it?

J_Gamer.exe

Lol, Xbox has been winning all the head to heads lately, now you get one game and it's suddenly the unparalleled king? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Xbox has shown that it can handle higher resolutions than PS5 while maintaining a consistent framerate for most games, but of course there will be some exceptions, that's all the metric you need to determine hardware performance, it has been done this way for PC GPUs for decades.

Once we move to next-gen only, the gap will widen.
Xbox hasn't won all the head to heads at all.

If its run at a slightly higher res its often paid for it in less performance.

Where is the clear advantage many promised? Where are the tools? Where are the full rdna2 feature advantages?

I hope someone does an analysis of the analysis of all the face offs so far and I think its fairly even but with ps5 ahead and the performance king with xbox having slightly higher res more often.

Thats about it.

The VRR capable console with the easy win again, unless you have an old TV then it's a draw. Also the fanboys celebrating a draw is peak cringe comedy, keep it coming :messenger_beaming:
False. I have a c9 (I wouldn’t call that an old tv) and even I can’t use VRR without brightness flickering. Just take the L.

How many people have a VRR TV? I don't and don't know anyone that does. Is it like a 2020 and newer feature? Seems like a great misdirection for those defenders of frame drops.
I've got 2. One of which I bought brand new like 4 or 5 months ago for $700. It's not like they're hard to get or even that expensive.

Regardless of your agenda, VRR is a feature that one console has, and one console doesn't. No need to defend a single frame, when we've got you here to defending missing VRR in it's entirety as a feature.

I fully understand the desire to debate for entertainment purposes but some of yall are ridiculous acting like one frame is so huge! Lol these multiplats are almost identical...I wonder how many here were around for n64 psx and ps2 xbox now that was a difference 😆

I fully understand the desire to debate for entertainment purposes but some of yall are ridiculous acting like one frame is so huge! Lol these multiplats are almost identical...I wonder how many here were around for n64 psx and ps2 xbox now that was a difference 😆
What's even worse is those same people desperately trying to downplay VRR. Just because the PS5 doesn't have, they insist that the XBS S/X be analyzed as though it were missing it too. Imaging comparing the pc version, except you can't include the best GPU or CPU, or all sorts of things simply because "the PS5 doesn't have those".

We have comparisons where the PS5 manages close to half the resolution of the Series X at times, and it's no problem.

We have a console that 8 months into this gen still hasn't figured out a way to implement features like backwards compatibility, VRR, or even expandable storage, and it's fine... No problems.

We have a single frame discrepancy, and just look at all these posts.

I guess if that's all they've got, then who am I to object.

spons

Gold Member
I know most people play games on their TVs, but even my low budget garbage monitor has FreeSync. Games run fine on my Series S and without tearing, which really is a game changer.
Then again, I play with earbuds plugged into my controller so what the fuck do I know about quality.

Great Hair

Banned
No problem.

Don't ask me. Ask this one

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard APIs that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we dont know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way were giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this but its been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

Im not saying they havent built a good system Im merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years

Taking the L would be having a TV with broken VRR. Don't blame the console manufacturer for LG's problem.
I’m just making an example of the real big picture. Saying that 1% of the XSX owners having smoother performance because the have a rare tv (or are using an inferior monitor) when 99% of XSX owners have worse performance because their tv doesn’t support VRR well (or at all) is dishonest at best. In reality XSX performs worse. That’s the L I was talking about.

Top Bottom