• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Returnal: Housemarque Pushes PlayStation 5 HARD - With Spectacular Results

ethomaz

Banned
I quoted you. You responded to it. About quantum break which uses temporal reconstruction. You called it upscaled.
Read compression lol

No where in that quote I said Quantum Break uses upscaling or anything like.

You reached the point to create claims that didn’t happen to support a wrong point.

Last edited:
Honestly, shouldn’t have been advertised as 4k/60fps. If it was dynamic, yes, but games like Days Gone have much better checkerboard/dynamic 4k. Hope they improve it. Nowhere near as bad as Quantum Break though.

Still think the visuals are great as well as the game, but as DF said the reconstruction isn’t all that impressive.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Honestly, shouldn’t have been advertised as 4k/60fps. If it was dynamic, yes, but games like Days Gone have much better checkerboard/dynamic 4k. Hope they improve it.

Still think the visuals are great as well as the game, but as DF said the reconstruction isn’t all that impressive.
I believe they advertised dynamic 4k 60fps.

ethomaz

Banned
Returnal? Where did you see this, as I don’t remember DF mentioning this…Days Gone, yes.
Returnal PlayStation page.

Ohhhhh they changed.
It was:

“Outstanding performance
Placing gameplay at the forefront of all it does, Housemarque maintains the highest standards for performance. Thanks to the incredible power of PS5, the blistering combat and brooding visuals of Returnal’s unique world are delivered at a consistent 60 frames-per-second and a dynamic 4K resolution.”

That is interesting because few days ago it had dynamic 4k wrote.

Last edited:
Where?

Edit - I didn’t.
Yeap it works well for a bad IQ... it was trash.

I can see it being a option for low hardware but the compromises are too big for my taste... I will say it is unplayable for me because how it is blurry and artifacts.

I will take 900p native over this 1080p upscalled.
That's you talking about quantum break

Returnal PlayStation page.

Ohhhhh they changed.
It was:

“Outstanding performance
Placing gameplay at the forefront of all it does, Housemarque maintains the highest standards for performance. Thanks to the incredible power of PS5, the blistering combat and brooding visuals of Returnal’s unique world are delivered at a consistent 60 frames-per-second and a dynamic 4K resolution.”

That is interesting because few days ago it had dynamic 4k wrote.
Not a good look to advertise one thing prior to release. May take it up with Sony

"AMD FidelityFX Contrast Adaptive Sharpening (CAS), which enables visual sharpness with optional upscaling to restore detail lost after Temporal Anti-Aliasing (TAA) is applied is currently our most widely adopted effect. However, our new effects are now also being integrated into some of the hottest games available now and coming soon."

That's funny even AMD calls it upscaling. I better send them an email and tell them fat Batman knows better.

CAS is NOT upscale.
CAS acts AFTER the upscale is done to do what the name says, restore contrast and sharpening to the image that it's lost with the upscale/reconstruction.

I copied the words from a dev. So, cut the crap. Reconstruction and checkerboard techniques ARE NOT upscaling.

Yes, not everything it's upscale. The process to get a FINAL image and stretch it to a larger resolution trying to lose the least amount of detail possible. There are things people are saying are upscale that are not, are part of the process of creating the final image. In games there are parts that may be calculated at different "resolutions" and then combined.

Ogbert

Lovely looking game, but as I get further in, the frame rate is seriously starting to tank. And I’m pretty sure most of biome 2 was running in 1080p.

So much fun though. Great game.

Last edited:
ethomaz ethomaz
You are saying temporal reconstruction is not upscale. I quoted you calling quantum break a 1080p upscale. Quantum break uses temporal reconstruction. You called temporal reconstruction an upscale but won't allow me to. A remedy dev called it an upscale. The dlss link you posted called it an upscale. How the fuck are you still arguing that 1080p to 1440p using taa it's not an upscale.
You make no sense.

ethomaz

Banned
ethomaz ethomaz
You are saying temporal reconstruction is not upscale. I quoted you calling quantum break a 1080p upscale. Quantum break uses temporal reconstruction. You called temporal reconstruction an upscale but won't allow me to. A remedy dev called it an upscale. The dlss link you posted called it an upscale. How the fuck are you still arguing that 1080p to 1440p using taa it's not an upscale.
You make no sense.
Ask somebody to read what you quoted.
Hint - I did not say what you are saying I said.

That is not even the point... scaling is different from reconstruction... that is a fact. Instead to learn you keep making the same mistakes.

Last edited:
Ask somebody to read what you quoted.
Hint - I did not say what you are saying I said.

That is not even the point... scaling is different from reconstruction... that is a fact. Instead to learn you keep making the same mistakes.
ethomaz
ethomaz
is mad because DF didn't do a video on a video of a video of a video on PS5
Apr 30, 2016
Add bookmark
Kezen said:
Well their reconstruction technique works well, the performance on native explains why they went for such solution.

Expectedly running at native 1080p is very expensive.
Yeap it works well for a bad IQ... it was trash.

I can see it being a option for low hardware but the compromises are too big for my taste... I will say it is unplayable for me because how it is blurry and artifacts.

I will take 900p native over this 1080p upscalled.

How is that not what you are saying?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I watched a shedload more footage and it’s a bit disappointing to be Able to quite easily see the lower resolution. There is a lot of points the overall image can look grainy and lower res. It’s the only flaw in what otherwise looks like a spectacular presentation. I love the lighting and the crazy voxel effects.

Md Ray

two render* at 900p
Fox Tv Excuse GIF by loveconnectionfox

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned

"While exploring the world in full-screen, resolution tops out at native 4K on Series X and 1080p on Series S: during these segments, DRS scaling averages out to roughly 1440p on X and 900p on Series S. However, when exploring in split-screen mode, the minimum resolution drops further. On Series X, the lowest case is around 900p while the Series S equivalent is 648p. Remember, the game is literally rendering two independent scenes at the same time, explaining the drops in pixel count."

John Wick

That is really impressive.

1080p TAA reconstructed to 1440p and checkeboarded to 4k.
The result is really great and unique.

But I'm more impressed how Alex Bathallia put it even over his PC lovers parts.

Welcome to next-gen gamers.
Alex was genuinely excited which was a pleasant surprise.

GHG

Gold Member
"While exploring the world in full-screen, resolution tops out at native 4K on Series X and 1080p on Series S: during these segments, DRS scaling averages out to roughly 1440p on X and 900p on Series S. However, when exploring in split-screen mode, the minimum resolution drops further. On Series X, the lowest case is around 900p while the Series S equivalent is 648p. Remember, the game is literally rendering two independent scenes at the same time, explaining the drops in pixel count."

So it's basically rendering 2x450p at the same time to create the final 900p output?

Impressive stuff, absolutely mindblowing.

Last edited:
it's rendering basically two games at the same time.....wake up lol

in the 900p scenes is rendering two games at the same time...with two frame buffers for two rendering .

It is not 2 games at the same time. LOL

It's effectively one game and when entering the spiritual world, it's the same scene but with different assets, lighting, and other underlying graphical effects. 2 different versions of the game at the same time would be a heavy task even for 3090. Maybe impossible.

Running 2 games at the same time would be rendering 2x the full screen resolution, but that's not exactly the case here since the 2 viewports share the same screen estate.
So in this case the rendered number of pixels would be the same regardless if it's 1 or 2 scenes.
(for example 2x4k vs 4K split in 2 scenes).

Core of the scene is the same on both shared screen, same building structure and environment, but with different assets, lighting, and other underlying graphical effects. And when that appears, everything drops in resolution to 900p and texture quality. And of course it's 30fps

Remember, the game is literally rendering two independent scenes at the same time, explaining the drops in pixel count."

Yeah, scenes and 2 different games is the same. LOL

what part you don't get ? lol

About that, you should ask yourself, not others

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
It is not 2 games at the same time. LOL

It's effectively one game and when entering the spiritual world, it's the same scene but with different assets, lighting, and other underlying graphical effects. 2 different versions of the game at the same time would be a heavy task even for 3090. Maybe impossible.

Running 2 games at the same time would be rendering 2x the full screen resolution, but that's not exactly the case here since the 2 viewports share the same screen estate.
So in this case the rendered number of pixels would be the same regardless if it's 1 or 2 scenes.
(for example 2x4k vs 4K split in 2 scenes).

Core of the scene is the same on both shared screen, same building structure and environment, but with different assets, lighting, and other underlying graphical effects. And when that appears, everything drops in resolution to 900p and texture quality. And of course it's 30fps

Yeah, scenes and 2 different games is the same. LOL

About that, you should ask yourself, not others
was to make you understand that is for THAT reason that it drop from 4k to 900p is not that hard to understand ....and yeah it have two framebuffer for two rendering . but knowing you i give up..hope that someone will take the ball and explain you how it works

Last edited:
S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
So after playing for a while the game looks just as underwhelming graphically as it did in all the preview videos. There are a few decent particle effects and nice light shafts and that's about it. It does look like a PS4 game despite all the hype. That said, I didn't realise the art design at least in the first area, was so closely inspired by Prometheus, so it actually looks great despite everything.

was to make you understand that is for THAT reason that it drop from 4k to 900p is not that hard to understand ....and yeah it have two framebuffer for two rendering . but knowing you i give up..hope that someone will take the ball and explain you how it works

Lol. You said that XSX renders 2 different games, not me. LOL It is the same scene the at core. Anyway, you were banned for spreading crap, not me. Cheers

spreading crap
M MonarchJT

In general we don't need this from anyone no matter which side they belong to. As an example I saw someone trying to spread misinformation about the PS5 being a GCN console and not an RDNA2 one. Thankfully the admins permanently banned him.

I think we could all use a break from blue level of misinformation. Again no matter who is spreading it.

From being one of the few PS5 games to hit 4K@60fps with ray tracing to 1080p internal@50fps. lol wtf.

Actually it's still 60FPs not 50FPs per Digital Foundry. Unless you want to use minimum framerate for all games which I suggest you don't do because that will make both consoles look very bad because it doesn't represent the actual experience.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Lol. You said that XSX renders 2 different games, not me. LOL It is the same scene the at core. Anyway, you were banned for spreading crap, not me. Cheers
yeah and it render basically two scene that could be totally differents ..sure you don't have the ai and the logic of two games ...but that's the reason...and something that you don't get it or understand doesn't mean that..is a crap. i been banned for other reason that you don't understand too. bye and ignore

Last edited:
yeah and it render basically two scene that could be totally differents ..sure you don't have the ai and the logic of two games ...but that's the reason...and something that you don't get it or understand doesn't mean that..is a crap. i been banned for other reason that you don't understand too. bye and ignore

Core of the scene is the same, but with different assets, lighting, and other underlying graphical effects. Talking to other they don't understand anything, yet you trying to spin it.

You were banned for spreading nonsense, just like you are doing it here

Last edited:
Top Bottom