• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Returnal: Housemarque Pushes PlayStation 5 HARD - With Spectacular Results

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
schitts creek comedy GIF by CBC

Last edited:
"After checking in Housemarque, we got some answers: the PlayStation 5's RT hardware is used to accelerate global illumination queries, essentially speeding up a software-based system and not used for direct visual results. A similar system is used in Nvidia's RTXGI, so I'll be curious if this technology is repurposed in some way for Returnal - RTXGI is a part of Unreal Engine 4 now. Housemarque also shared that the hardware RT system in PlayStation 5 is also used to take the 3D audio in Returnal to the next level: audio environment queries are accelerated with hardware ray tracing support."

Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-returnal-absolute-housemarque

Pq7KGtM.jpg

Last edited:

Interfectum

Game looks great but a bit surprised the internal resolution is 1080p. I suppose that's the price for Ray-Tracing and 60fps.
Expect internal resolutions on both consoles to keep dropping as we get into next-gen games. But it's not really a problem if the devs can get good upscaling techniques in place. I would rather them cheat on resolution and provide us with more effects and better frame rate.

1080p....? I admit I haven't watched the video as I will be after work.....so please dont hurt me.....

...But 1080p with framedrops??

I think part of that is just the sheer amount of particles and density in the scenes. It’s the one thing that struck the most. Having played the game, the 1080p internal resolution doesn’t surprise me, but you are treated to a good experience that looks visually impressive.

Dodkrake

Banned
Expect internal resolutions on both consoles to keep dropping as we get into next-gen games. But it's not really a problem if the devs can get good upscaling techniques in place. I would rather them cheat on resolution and provide us with more effects and better frame rate.

I much rather prefer eye candy / 60fps (depending on the game, don't care about 60fps in most titles) than full native 4k. As upscaling techniques improve and the difference can only be seen by magnifying 400x that GPU power can be used for actual useful things.

Game looks great but a bit surprised the internal resolution is 1080p. I suppose that's the price for Ray-Tracing and 60fps.

1080p....? I admit I haven't watched the video as I will be after work.....so please dont hurt me.....

...But 1080p with framedrops??

Like I've said since the UE5 demo, PS5 is a 1080p 60 fps console, with rare exceptions in limited scenarios (like linear/semi-linear AAAA games).

Actually : reconstructed 1440p, with checkerboard techniques pushed to 2160p.

Guess who will try to spin it as 1080p. :/

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That is really impressive.

1080p TAA reconstructed to 1440p and checkeboarded to 4k.
The result is really great and unique.

But I'm more impressed how Alex Bathallia put it even over his PC lovers parts.

Ultimately, the end result with Returnal is a visually rich, absolutely stunning third-person shooter - a genuinely next generation take on the genre. PC gaming is my passion, I mostly play console titles mostly for work - but this is the first console exclusive game that I really want to stick with.

Welcome to next-gen gamers.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I said ages ago and was laughed at, but 1080p 60 is the actual sweetspot for this generation.

It's realistically achievable with all the bells and whistles.

Good 1080p sets don't even need to worry about shitty scaling.

4k isn't ready yet in the console gaming world.
Well I said in the past that techs like Checkboard, DSLL, and now the new SuperResolution were created to make 1080p renders looks close to 4k.

I still prefer 4k native but the gain is performance with these techs are undeniable.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
I think it’s time for these analysis to mention the setup. Are you playing it on a monitor? On a TV? Size? Type of panel?

It’s weird when certain aspects of the image are highlighted, but it takes playing the game with your eyes glued to the screen in order to notice those flaws. I just want context in which certain flaws are noticeable or not.

Interfectum

I said ages ago and was laughed at, but 1080p 60 is the actual sweetspot for this generation.

It's realistically achievable with all the bells and whistles.

Good 1080p sets don't even need to worry about shitty scaling.

4k isn't ready yet in the console gaming world.
With proper AI and upscaling techniques the gaming world will soon not need true 4K. Those resources are better spent on frame rate and post processing effects.

Interfectum

It's funny seeing what would normally be the Fidelity FX and DLSS cheerleaders trip over themselves in here. ;)
It's gonna be fun watching the hype for 'true 4K' go away from certain posters are we start getting real next gen games. Neither console is going to push next-gen gaming at 4K / 60FPS with full effects. One of those things will be compromised and everyone better hope its resolution over the others.

Like I've said since the UE5 demo, PS5 is a 1080p 60 fps console, with rare exceptions in limited scenarios (like linear/semi-linear AAAA games).
Yes, and Xbox Series X is a 756p 30fps machine?

Do you realize how is so unfair judge a hardware by one specific game?

Returnal was made on "generic" UE4. Destruction Allstars, Sackboy, Gears 5, all these games are made in this engine, and doesn't hit perfect native 4k resolution.

IWOS0P8.jpg
you

skit_data

Just a friendly reminder of The Mediums at times lower internal resolution while running at 30fps before jumping to ”hardware limitations, PS5 runs at 1080p”-conclusions.

Game looks great and gameplay feels even better, gonna start my next cycle when darkness falls. Can’t play a game like this in broad daylight.

SkylineRKR

I don't care if this is 1080p. I rather have a high framerate and effects making the game vibrant and play very well. As long as the reconstruction delivers a clean image who cares. 1440p to native 4k is hardly noticable in gameplay even when I am like 4 inches removed from my screen (CX 55 inch). Just forget about native 4k, and focus on framerate, effects and good controls.

I hope they can fix the framerate, an ultra fast paced tps bullet hell roguelite is literally the last genre where you want dips of 10 frames with hell on screen.

Sony really needs to come through with this VRR thing. RE8 would absolutely benefit from it in RT mode.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's gonna be fun watching the hype for 'true 4K' go away from certain posters are we start getting real next gen games. Neither console is going to push next-gen gaming at 4K / 60FPS with full effects. One of those things will be compromised and everyone better hope its resolution over the others.
Facts.

Top Bottom