• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Returnal: Housemarque Pushes PlayStation 5 HARD - With Spectacular Results

The game is absolutely running 1080p base resolution:

The end result is a presentation that looks better than the native 1080p pixel counts that tend to emerge from untreated geometry

That's the point of Nvidia DLSS too. To look better than native counterpart.

It uses temporal reconstruction to 1440p, from there it's checkerboarded to 4K. And results are great

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Glad to see Alex contact the devs and verify the marketing hype over using RT Lighting. I figured we would have seen it shown off in demos but it wasn't using it like we thought and now it makes sense to be running at 60FPS.

Anyway, excellent particle rendering! I can't really think of a game off the top of my head that has this kind of particle rendering. Props. (y)

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Cringe Reaction GIF

hope naughty dog can do better

geordiemp

Yes, and Xbox Series X is a 756p 30fps machine?

Do you realize how is so unfair judge a hardware by one specific game?

Returnal was made on "generic" UE4. Destruction Allstars, Sackboy, Gears 5, all these games are made in this engine, and doesn't hit perfect native 4k resolution.

IWOS0P8.jpg
you

Dont worry, its hard for the numbskulls to understand

Creating 2 screens in real time takes more power.

Having insane particle effects, volumetric fog and GI takes more power.

Its about pixel quality, most know that and its impressive.

But I guess some would prefer a drab 4K image with nothing going on which they can get in abundance with all the B tier filler games.

And my post atttracts the usual triggered from the famous intellectual himself.

Last edited:

Allandor

Interesting solution.
So 1080+ + TAA to reconstruct 1440p to than checkerboard it to 4k. So 2 reconstruction techs and it still looks good and relative sharp.

But everyone says it looks great on their 4K TV? Next-gen even?

Why are 4K TVs a waste when you find out how developers used technology to get it to that resolution?
I just took it for granted we were gonna have 4K native (or close to it) on PS5 with variable fps. 1080p is not even close. I’m sure it looks great with all the magic tricks used but cold hard numbers are there and it’s not impressive.

GymWolf

It's gonna be fun watching the hype for 'true 4K' go away from certain posters are we start getting real next gen games. Neither console is going to push next-gen gaming at 4K / 60FPS with full effects. One of those things will be compromised and everyone better hope its resolution over the others.
They are gonna compromise both.

1080p\1440 checkboard\new amd solution to 4k or 1800p and 30 fps when the big nextgen exclusives games are gonna come out in a couple of years, with maybe a fake performance mode with stable 60 when you look to a wall or the sky just to let df folks have some thing to talk about.

The last big sony games we are gonna see with something close to 4k60 are gonna be crossgen horizon and gow (if jimbo doesn't decide to make every big game crossgen of course)

Last edited:

GymWolf

I don't care if this is 1080p. I rather have a high framerate and effects making the game vibrant and play very well. As long as the reconstruction delivers a clean image who cares. 1440p to native 4k is hardly noticable in gameplay even when I am like 4 inches removed from my screen (CX 55 inch). Just forget about native 4k, and focus on framerate, effects and good controls.

Sony really needs to come through with this VRR thing. RE8 would absolutely benefit from it in RT mode.
I still don't have a tv with VRR :messenger_crying:

VFXVeteran

Banned
It's gonna be fun watching the hype for 'true 4K' go away from certain posters are we start getting real next gen games. Neither console is going to push next-gen gaming at 4K / 60FPS with full effects. One of those things will be compromised and everyone better hope its resolution over the others.
Yeap. I said this like extremely early on when the games started to pour in. They simply don't have the GPU bandwidth to push higher levels (especially with RT) and most optimizations will be removing this bandwidth barrier with lowering the render framebuffers down and upscaling them to display.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I just took it for granted we were gonna have 4K native (or close to it) on PS5 with variable fps. 1080p is not even close. I’m sure it looks great with all the magic tricks used but cold hard numbers are there and it’s not impressive.

Numbers you would see if you fired up the game? Forget native 4k. Series X and PS5 are way too weak to run demanding games at 4k/60 with RT effects. The best you're going to get is 1440p/60 and RT. And that seems to push it already. These systems are only 10-12 TF. Which is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Its cute that people hold on this minor difference while there are cards around ranging from 12-40 TF. And even they struggle at native 4k and all bells and whistles on.

Its funny because everyone was livid over Tony Hawks supposed 1080p 120hz resolution, and no one seemed to notice it was actually 1440p when they played it. Until the numbers came out.

Aggelos

Man, bygone is the era where you could enjoy a game without being concerned and fuss over about tiny details. Nowadays everything has to be nit-picked and analyzed to the death. And everybody has become so fastidious as if we're in figure skating, where the judges just literally feel compelled to nit-pick everything... you know, leave no stone unturned.

Cringe Reaction GIF

hope naughty dog can do better

giphy.gif

Zathalus

Yeap. I said this like extremely early on when the games started to pour in. They simply don't have the GPU bandwidth to push higher levels (especially with RT) and most optimizations will be removing this bandwidth barrier with lowering the render framebuffers down and upscaling them to display.
The key for this console generation would be developing better and better upscaling and reconstruction technologies that scale up from a base 1080p-1440p range.

Well, not just this console generation either, even if the next generation have GPUs that are 5x faster in normal rasterisation (likely way more in RT) and have bandwidth in excess of 1TB/s, reconstruction and upscaling would still be of immense value.

Cool with me I was never under the illusion that every game was going to be native 4k.

Also this is day one so who knows what kind of improvements they come out with in future patches.

SkylineRKR

The key for this console generation would be developing better and better upscaling and reconstruction technologies that scale up from a base 1080p-1440p range.

Well, not just this console generation either, even if the next generation have GPUs that are 5x faster in normal rasterisation (likely way more in RT) and have bandwidth in excess of 1TB/s, reconstruction and upscaling would still be of immense value.

Nvidia spent millions on DLSS. While releasing obscenely powerful video cards. They're thinking ahead. There is so much to gain if resources don't fully go in pixel counting.

3liteDragon

I love how we’re so quick to judge a console’s future (6-8 years) only 5 months into the generation because a developer making their first AAA game’s (which looks amazing regardless) using a 1080p internal resolution base to output a dynamic 4K image, like any of you would’ve been able to tell the difference.

June can’t come soon enough lol.

Last edited:

skit_data

There are other games (Marvel Avengers and Control) that are pushing particles like this. Let's not ignore the multiplats.
I think Controls Performance/RT mode is a good summary about what to expect in general when it comes to res/performance this gen in consoles.

1440p 60fps
1440p 30fps with more costly forms of RT implemented

Im all happy with that, and falls in line with my expectations when the consoles specs were announced

Edit: Varying forms of upscaling to reach a 4k image not accounted for

Last edited:
Top Bottom