• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF RETRO - Sonic The Hedgehog ported to SNES

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s cool but they didn’t improve any of the visuals. They could have added real transparency at least.

but something people don’t ever talk about is back then all console games were written in assembly. And doing physics in assembly is a big deal.

Hell doing a simple “ rotate toward object calculations“ on the nes is incredibly long winded and cpu intensive Compared to using C.

cireza

Banned
Okay, now let's see you port Donkey Kong Country to the Genesis :goog_cool:
Donkey Kong Country builds on the strength of the SNES in terms of colors and art style, and a Mega Drive port would look pretty poor, without any good solution to make it like pretty. The Mega Drive is not well suited for these types of digitized graphics, that have some very subtle gradients : the 512 colors palette is too limited to achieve this.

Soundtrack would be a challenge as well, and would require arrangements built from scratch to sound the best possible on the console, not necessarily the closest to the original.

Here is a good example of a proper adaptation to the Mega Drive sound hardware, that builds on its strength :

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

"Blast Processing wasn't actually used in Sonic The Hedgehog"

And with that, a thousand Megadrive fanboys lost all their ammo.

giphy.gif

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Donkey Kong Country builds on the strength of the SNES in terms of colors and art style, and a Mega Drive port would look pretty poor, without any good solution to make it like pretty. The Mega Drive is not well suited for these types of digitized graphics, that have some very subtle gradients : the 512 colors palette is too limited to achieve this.

That's why I used the troll-face... I'm well aware that no amount of power would overcome the visual ugliness of DKC if moved to Genesis's poor color palette. Both systems have their advantages, but for me DKC was jaw-dropping at release, truly a revolutionary game.

The only Genesis game that I find superior to its SNES counterpart is probably Castlevania, since Bloodlines is simply great and I found Super Castlevania IV to be a letdown after the 8-bit pinnacle of Dracula's Curse, one of my favorite games. In other cases (Aladdin, Street Fighter, etc) I just find the more beautiful color rendering of the SNES to outweigh any limitations in pixel count or raw speed.

I think I'd rather play Donkey Kong Land on the Game Boy.

I spent my entire youth listening to friends saying that Sonic couldn't run on anything else, due to it running on Blast Processing.

You must understand how I feel now, knowing that it was bullshit. Allow me this little moment of retroactive smugness.
You have to look at the video to see the shortcomings of the port, this is not 100% the same, it's an approximation.

Top Bottom