• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF RETRO - Sonic The Hedgehog ported to SNES

Fake

Has hell frozen over? Sonic the Hedgehog is now playable - to a certain extent - on Super NES. Thanks to the development work of TiagoSC, a demo exists of Sonic 1 for SNES, built on original Sonic Team code adapted and optimised for SNES. Unlike today, pixel-for-pixel identical ports aren't possible - SNES was a very different machine to Mega Drive/Genesis - so there are necessary differences, which makes the port all the more fascinating.

DonMigs85

So this ad was right

LjCrQKog4wZHwfDoiusdhBV4LgFOqx1fNaRm3YXEDTYGVPTLSL3CqY7nqaCaPELhbEs7jSd8MWUvnjYpY1xDwdhI6--W6IGk9eUAwVIwBWwYNWsGARTxX0a05f-8E8zsANZeSnmU

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
"Blast Processing wasn't actually used in Sonic The Hedgehog"

And with that, a thousand Megadrive fanboys lost all their ammo.
Most people knew that. The first Sonic was in the days that people were discovering stuff. I think they made 2 and still didn't know what the hell was this

Also,
D dark10x , make translation available on your videos. I want to do some to brazilian portuguese to help a few guys understanding this

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
In what world is "not used in" the same as "it's nothing"?

I spent my entire youth listening to friends saying that Sonic couldn't run on anything else, due to it running on Blast Processing.

You must understand how I feel now, knowing that it was bullshit. Allow me this little moment of retroactive smugness.

I spent my entire youth listening to friends saying that Sonic couldn't run on anything else, due to it running on Blast Processing.

You must understand how I feel now, knowing that it was bullshit. Allow me this little moment of retroactive smugness.

We've already been through this all in the other locked thread. This demo was also linked as video.

This tech demo is a fantastic technical achievement, especially considering it was all created by one person (to the best of my knowledge). I think it deserves a ton of praise and I love seeing things like this from a technologist perspective.

Having said that, this is a tech demo with only a single level. The physics are not exact as even the DF video mentions, the demo runs at a lower resolution due to SNES technical limitations. The scrolling speed has horizontal stuttering that is especially noticeable when they show the side by side screens moving at at a fast speed. There is also noticeable frame drops and slow down etc.. There is no boss and this level is the slowest of the Greenhill zones with the fewest loops etc so giving the smallest chances for fast acceleration etc... There is a reason this level was chosen to demo.

Similarly, Sonic The Hedgehog is also the slowest of the trilogy with Sonic 2 being significantly faster and adding the spin dash.

So, my answer is the same as the other thread. Could Sonic run on the SNES as is? With the same physics, numbers of enemies, effects, speed, resolution etc..? No. Could the SNES run some kind of approximation with various short comings and changes? Sure, it likely could, but then that wouldn't be the same thing.

This is a fun tech demo to discuss if we can leave 30 year old fanboy wars out of it for consoles that are long dead. Love seeing things like this and it must have been a huge effort from an incredibly talented guy.

the_master

"Blast Processing wasn't actually used in Sonic The Hedgehog"

And with that, a thousand Megadrive fanboys lost all their ammo.
Did anybody doubt that the snes coud run a reduced, slower port of Sonic? :D

You can see how the lack of blast processing shows in here :p

Last edited:

cireza

A Megadrive port of Mario World would be interesting, but I'm not sure I'd want to see Mario with dithering
Mario World does not use the full extend of the SNES palette, like many early games (Mario Kart, Zelda III) so it could run on MD with almost no color loss. Do you even know the consoles you talk about ? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Whitecrow

Banned

Oh I see : D
Ok ok dont worry, I'll let you enjoy your revenge ^^

What a timely post. I literally just go the SNES mini, and am watching my wife plays through Mario RPG. I would love a remake of Mario RPG on the Switch. So many great games on the SNES mini. Can't wait to play FFIII (6 here in the US) again, along with Earthbound and Secret of Mana. Super Punch-Out is also on there, and I've never played it before. Had Punch-Out! arcade cabinet back in the day.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
man DF really talks rubbish at times. They have no flipping clue how some things work but use certain words to mask their lack of knowledge.. Just invite someone that actual knows. You can't know everything and that is perfectly fine. It's like asking me advice for the best hairdryer

Last edited:

LarknThe4th

I guess that other thread can be revived for this with an update right?

As always DF Retro continues to deliver the goods!

it's 2020 and I've been inside Donkey Kong Country recreated by Dreams creators in VR

am I supposed to be impressed by this?

Birdo

Banned
An interesting experiment would be to port some old Sega arcade games like OutRun and Space Harrier to SNES with a Super FX chip, since it could support sprite scaling (Something neither the MD or SNES could do natively)

LarknThe4th

I feel bad for people that didn't have both, no way I could have settled with one system.
If I really had to pick one it would be the SNES cause Super Metroid and LTTP are basically the height of 2D videogames but fuck if it would suck not having a Megadrive(that's actually what I had) and missing out on Streets of Rage or Sonic would be awful

Bankai

That resolution is really low in comparison though, like many SNES games. The Megadrive was often so much sharper with much more onscreen. Colors looks really great though, since it can display more colors onscreen at once.

Romulus

What's really crazy is this guy is basically a hobbyist programmer, imagine a full team of SNES developers working on this.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Surprising to see it working almost like the identical. Some bads here and there but its really an impressive work. Even for a demo.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
By the end of the gen was what Sonic wasn't that extraordinary. Both systems were built to do similar things and utilized similar tech, so in truth I don't see it as much of an achievement techically.

The key thing is that with these 16/32-bit systems although the Genesis did have a distinct power processing power advantage being a 68000 not a buffed up 6502, the cpu's were never that instrumental, it was more about the video hardware which by design supported sprites and multiple scrolling playfields doing the heavy lifting.

Which is why if anyone was ever interested in seeing a real technical achievement in replicating what Sonic did, people should look at Brian The Lion or more pertinently Kid Chaos* on the Amiga (the latter which started out as a "giana sisters" style unlicensed clone.).

*I may have the title wrong, its been many years!

Futaleufu

If I really had to pick one it would be the SNES cause Super Metroid and LTTP are basically the height of 2D videogames but fuck if it would suck not having a Megadrive(that's actually what I had) and missing out on Streets of Rage or Sonic would be awful

Have you ever stepped inside an arcade?

Faithless83

Banned
It's so funny how you can trace parallels with this thread to a "current gen" one where it was stated that "PS5 was struggling to run RE8".
"See, this is proof The SSD was just marketing!"

Last edited:
Top Bottom