• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Retro: QUAKE

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Quake was definitely a hardware mover. I remember I had a 486 at the time and I upgraded to a K6-2 (a Pentium equivalent that could run in a 486 motherboard) after I saw Quake at a friend's house. And I remember when I saw GLQuake running on a Voodoo at a computer show that's when I knew I needed a Voodoo.

The use of light maps I think was really the thing that blew my mind. It was one of these generational leap moments in 3D graphics, and one of the last really big ones that blew me away like that. Everything after that felt like smaller incremental improvements.

Chiggs

Quake was a very influential game,and a very popular game. These vids are very informative and interesting if you are a fan of said game, at least from a nostalgia point.

I love Quake. Love it. But 57 minutes of the host droning on and on and on, while he looks down at the cue cards?

I couldn’t do it.

nkarafo

I've said it before and I will keep saying it, Voodoo 1 and the majority of Voodoo 2 looks absolutely awful. Software Quake looks so much better it's ridiculous. I don't care about stupid transparent water, GLQuake blows.
Quake 1 was bad but Quake 2 was on another level of awfulness:

pkhfpqB.gif
tclCiPE.jpg

G0zCTtg.gif
2iftRTx.jpg

Piss filter? Check.

Mangled textures? Check.

Blurry vision? Check.

Last edited:
I've said it before and I will keep saying it, Voodoo 1 and the majority of Voodoo 2 looks absolutely awful. Software Quake looks so much better it's ridiculous. I don't care about stupid transparent water, GLQuake blows.
The graphics weren't really the main reason people loved GLQuake. It just ran the game way, way faster than anything else. Very few people could afford a PC that would run the game at high framerates at 640x480 in software mode. A Voodoo card often got you 60 FPS for 150 bucks.

Last edited:

nkarafo

The graphics weren't really the main reason people loved GLQuake. It just ran the game way, way faster than anything else. Very few people could afford a PC that would run the game at high framerates at 640x480 in software mode. A Voodoo card often got you 60 FPS for 150 bucks.
But why did it have to make the graphics so bad? Couldn't it just accelerate it and keep the same colors and textures? Wouldn't be even faster without all the extra filters?

I think there's a way to disable much of the ugliness using console commands.

Stuart360

pkhfpqB.gif
tclCiPE.jpg

G0zCTtg.gif
2iftRTx.jpg

Piss filter? Check.

Mangled textures? Check.

Blurry vision? Check.
Imo the hardware versions look way better than software version if you are running at very high resolutions.
If you are running at low resolutions though (like under 480p) then the software versions look better.

Its a similar situation with what DF said about Ark on the Switch, modern graphical techniques just dont work well at low resolutions.

Last edited:
But why did it have to make the graphics so bad? Couldn't it just accelerate it and keep the same colors and textures? Wouldn't be even faster without all the extra filters?

I think there's a way to disable much of the ugliness using console commands.

To be honest, back in the day Id say most people were WOWed by the voodoo examples. I liked it way better in GL but that was because it was new tech and back then I didn't see it as some vaseline filter. It was a big difference between software and hardware version. Now looking back its more the purist in us. Same as if you play an old 80s-90s arcade game and you see those shitty filters we can chose from but we want only the original sharp and scan lined look.

Last edited:
I mean I get that, I had a Pentium 200MMX and I still ran it in 320x200 because 640x480 didn't run great (and also I liked the aesthetic). But I didn't care for the GL look then and still don't now.

fatmarco

Why haven't we had Quake 1 and 2 ported to consoles yet? They ported 2 to the 360 as a bonus disc for 4, but that was over 15 years ago. Its free money.

nkarafo

Imo the hardware versions look way better than software version if you are running at very high resolutions.
If you are running at low resolutions though (like under 480p) then the software versions look better.
Pretty sure the examples i posted aren't below 480p and look at the textures on the guns. That shotgun looks like it doesn't have any detail anymore in GL.

Also, it doesn't matter how high the resolution is because the textures are still the same. Applying such heavy filtering on such low res textures means you lose all the detail, as shown in the pictures. Same issue that plagued the N64 and made most of it's games look blurry.

Again, they could still accelerate the game without all these filters and loss of texture detail.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Man the N64 version wasnt bad for the time. I forgot how good it could look.
Basically a 240p/30fps version of GLQuake.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Pretty sure the examples i posted aren't below 480p and look at the textures on the guns. That shotgun looks like it doesn't have any detail anymore in GL.

Also, it doesn't matter how high the resolution is because the textures are still the same. Applying such heavy filtering on such low res textures means you lose all the detail, as shown in the pictures. Same issue that plagued the N64 and made most of it's games look blurry.

Again, they could still accelerate the game without all these filters and loss of texture detail.
It depends what you preder though. At the time all games were software renderd, so seeing GLQuake with such 'revolutioany' things as texture filtering was pretty impressive. I agree though, the texturs are too low rez really for filtering, but myself personnaly preferred the blurry textures compared to a load of couloured squares.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nowadays you can have the best of both worlds and play 3D accelerated without texture filtering so it's all good. Games after that crossover point may still have had low res textures but usually made with filtering taken in account for the intended look, not designing it like crisp pixel art any more.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Man the N64 version wasnt bad the time. I forgot how good it could look.
Basically a 240p/30fps version of GLQuake.
Yeah, it wasn't bad at all.

Though i do remember being disappointed how it had the light colored blobs that don't illuminate the walls.

This illuminating effect was my favorite thing about PC Quake back in the day, i think it was the first game i ever saw having this effect. I remember shooting rockets in hallways just to see them get illuminated. That was another thing GL Quake didn't get right but at least you could re-enable it (iirc).

YCoCg

Why haven't we had Quake 1 and 2 ported to consoles yet? They ported 2 to the 360 as a bonus disc for 4, but that was over 15 years ago. Its free money.
Because as popular as they were would they do well now? Quake 2 is getting some love due to the free RTX version but would someone buy it?

nkarafo

Nowadays you can have the best of both worlds and play 3D accelerated without texture filtering so it's all good. Games after that crossover point may still have had low res textures but usually made with filtering taken in account for the intended look, not designing it like crisp pixel art any more.
This is the key point i think.

Neither Quake or Quake 2's textures were made with filtering in mind, which is why they look so bad in GL.

Ev1L AuRoN

I first played Quake on a Pentium 133mhz with 16mb ram in software mode.

I remember it running great but that maybe be my memory improving things over, 320x240 on a CRT monitor looked great and anything higher than 24fps feels smooth at that time.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Wonderful timing - I've just finished playing through the first two Quake games. Will watch this tonight.

Quake, with a good source port and the fan-made coloured lighting maps, was an incredible way to re-live the game. Combined with that one-of-a-kind sound-track, Quake is really something special. Quake II RTX was also amazing, and I highly recommend it - it's still Quake II, but it looks astounding and plays very well.

twilo99

I think this is right around the period when the franchise peaked in terms of what it was all about.

It was born to be a multiplayer game, and they finally got it to its final form here.

"u rush too much"

:messenger_beaming:

Lets not forget the genius of Carmack that made engine jumps in just over a year Q1 - Q2 - Q3. Romero was using Q2 engine for his Daikatana and before it even came close to release, Carmack put out a Q3 engine :D Literally, we had these massive new engine jumps every year. Mad man.

Last edited:

Doczu

Man, when they started porting all the Doom games for the PS4 i hoped they would do Quake aswell. I bought all of the classic Dooms, got DN3D and wished they would do Quake 😓 i would gladly pay to play 2 and 4 again...

fatmarco

Man, when they started porting all the Doom games for the PS4 i hoped they would do Quake aswell. I bought all of the classic Dooms, got DN3D and wished they would do Quake 😓 i would gladly pay to play 2 and 4 again...
Yea I literally did the same in the hopes that it'd sell enough to make them think about other classics.

It's crazy that even games like Half Life 1 or Soldier of Fortune haven't been mooted for console ports.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

pkhfpqB.gif
tclCiPE.jpg

G0zCTtg.gif
2iftRTx.jpg

Piss filter? Check.

Mangled textures? Check.

Blurry vision? Check.
kinda like n64 yo
that smooth look was a thing.

in retrospect fuck was wrong with me liking the second option XD

Ivan

Yea I literally did the same in the hopes that it'd sell enough to make them think about other classics.

It's crazy that even games like Half Life 1 or Soldier of Fortune haven't been mooted for console ports.
I'd love to see them too, but these are very mouse centric games, unfortunately.

Ok HL original I can accept. But why we still dont have a console version of HL: Black Mesa remake??? Thats should of been ported to consoles as well.

scydrex

I don´t remember much of Quake 1 or 2. I remember well Quake 3 Arena even have the box and the game in physical.

Danknugz

To be honest, back in the day Id say most people were WOWed by the voodoo examples. I liked it way better in GL but that was because it was new tech and back then I didn't see it as some vaseline filter. It was a big difference between software and hardware version. Now looking back its more the purist in us. Same as if you play an old 80s-90s arcade game and you see those shitty filters we can chose from but we want only the original sharp and scan lined look.
Also voodoo 2 was the first dedicated GPU to support SLI iirc and I can remember running. Quake2 at 1280x1024 which was pretty nuts for the time and typically around 60 FPS as well.

Danknugz

Quake inspired Sega Saturn engine .. watch his other WIP videos. One man work.

and ad washed piss filter 3Dfx Quake - try gamma/RGB settings .. I often used it to correct game colors.
Not so much quake1, but I can remember tweaking the gamma settings for quake2 for multiplayer and it looked a lot better and was easier to spot enemies in desthmatch. For me quake2 was more about multiplayer fast paced twitch shooting action and was actually one of the first for that, whereas quake1 was more the spiritual successor to doom with more focus on the single player aspect and gothic environments. I could be wrong but it felt like ID focused more on the single player experience for quake1 but switched it up for quake2 where the primary focus was multiplayer with single player tacked on. Then of course quake3 which has no single player at all.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Can't imagine what could be potentially the N64 hardware at the time, with a cdrom player and a decent RAM...

Last edited:

pkhfpqB.gif
tclCiPE.jpg

G0zCTtg.gif
2iftRTx.jpg

Piss filter? Check.

Mangled textures? Check.

Blurry vision? Check.
Quite literally the one of the first games to take advantage of a GPU. Voodoo 3 3500 had around 16MB of RAM and ran at ~185Mhz. I'm not sure what you're expecting.

Last edited:

muteZX

Banned
Not so much quake1, but I can remember tweaking the gamma settings for quake2 for multiplayer and it looked a lot better and was easier to spot enemies in desthmatch. For me quake2 was more about multiplayer fast paced twitch shooting action and was actually one of the first for that, whereas quake1 was more the spiritual successor to doom with more focus on the single player aspect and gothic environments. I could be wrong but it felt like ID focused more on the single player experience for quake1 but switched it up for quake2 where the primary focus was multiplayer with single player tacked on. Then of course quake3 which has no single player at all.

something for you .. very old alpha version of his 3D engine with Quake assets and latest version - MP for 8 players.

Last edited:
Top Bottom