• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: Final Fight - The Definitive Retrospective - Every Version Ever Made Tested

stranno

Amazing intro, but it would have been 100x times better with the RICHAAAAAAAAARD meme of Metal Wolf Chaos.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Also the perfect opportunity to bring one of the greatest Neogaf threads of all time back out of cold storage...

stranno

Revenge probably featured the earliest example of x-ray attack ever seen on a fighting game, later popularized by Mortal Kombat. Well, technically Blanka's Electric Thunder did it first, but not quite the same thing.

7tZvtIp.gif

It's easy to make fun of Final Fantasy Streetwise, for some reason, but I think that it is a genuinely good game under the hood. Graphics and gameplay are OK. My biggest complain is that it turns from a really cool Fight Club tribute into an amazingly weird apocalypse of religion, zombies and drugs.

The Playstation 2 version, as shown in the DF video, has many interlacing problems (probably due desynced interlacing) and some sort of dynamic resolution when action heats up. XBOX version doesnt have any of these problems but it has some glitches over Playstation 2. The fire extinguisher is totally broken on XBOX so the hardest part of the game, the Guy's Dojo, is even harder on XBOX.

Arcade mode of Streetwise is not that hard, imo, the punch-grab technique works perfectly fine. That video was my first ever try and I almost finished it.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Great stuff! One of my earliest gaming memories was playing this at the bowling alley. I used to watch that intro over and over when I didn’t have money.

The large sprites were an immediate draw. Artwork in this game felt so next gen. imagine playing the first Street Fighter then this. Total game changer.

I didn’t know that the Charles Bronson movie was released in Japan as “Street Fighter” haha wow that rules.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Revenge had a ton of potential in fact. It had a true final fight cast for starters, with OG Cody, Poison, El Gato etc. When I saw the first screenshots I thought this was Rival School with the FF cast and I was hyped. But the game was a dud. I even bought it, knowing it was shit. But it was a novelty, a Saturn game in 2k.

The controls are a mess, the hit detection and impact is whack, its not fun at all. Clearly developed by a team that no idea how to make a vs fighting game.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I’ve got this in the Capcom Beat Em Up bundle for the Switch. Will be interesting to see how it stacks up as a port...

UnNamed

Banned
I knew the Arcade mod with 3 players, but not the SNES hack with two players, looks very good despite the framerate issues and the inability of hurting each other.

Final Fight Streetwise looks very good in terms of graphics.

McCheese

What a great video! Honestly, for me DF Retro is the best thing Digital Foundry do these days.

That console comparison stuff can fuck off, give me more cheesy jokes, CRT scanlines, and John reading japanese names off an autocue.

Exceptionally well researched episode.

skneogaf

I absolutely love final fight!

The graphics, gameplay and the the music is perfect.

I would like capcom to make a side scrolling brawler with the models and graphics of street fighter 5, I've always wanted and up to date graphics version.

I think tekken had something similar as a mode on one of the tekken games.

WorldHero

I hope somehow Capcom can revive this franchise... We got SoR4 this year maybe a person can dream...

I truly would like the resurgence of the "beat em up" genre. Imagine if we got new entries for:
*Final Fight
*TMNT
*Power Rangers
*MK Shaolin Monks
*Robocop vs Terminator

The possibilities!

Last edited:

Cravis

Revenge probably featured the earliest example of x-ray attack ever seen on a fighting game, later popularized by Mortal Kombat. Well, technically Blanka's Electric Thunder did it first, but not quite the same thing.

7tZvtIp.gif

It's easy to make fun of Final Fantasy Streetwise, for some reason, but I think that it is a genuinely good game under the hood. Graphics and gameplay are OK. My biggest complain is that it turns from a really cool Fight Club tribute into an amazingly weird apocalypse of religion, zombies and drugs.

The Playstation 2 version, as shown in the DF video, has many interlacing problems (probably due desynced interlacing) and some sort of dynamic resolution when action heats up. XBOX version doesnt have any of these problems but it has some glitches over Playstation 2. The fire extinguisher is totally broken on XBOX so the hardest part of the game, the Guy's Dojo, is even harder on XBOX.

Arcade mode of Streetwise is not that hard, imo, the punch-grab technique works perfectly fine. That video was my first ever try and I almost finished it.

🤜 🤛

I really enjoyed Streetwise too. Never got the hate. I couldn’t get past escaping the fire in Guy’s dojo. Solid fighting engine I thought.

Funny how there tried to be a resurgence in the genre in 05/06 with this, Beatdown, and Urban Reign.

RAIDEN1

Gotta give credit this piece was more comprehensive than I thought it would be, but it was clear that Final fight was nowhere near as good (as a trilogy) compared to Streets of Rage which had 2 good entries where as Final Fight was a one-hit wonder..

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I could only watch up to the FF2 part so far.

My experience with the franchise is very limited, so I was really impressed by how there’s basically no port that does true justice to the arcade original. The SNES ports are a travesty!

It’s always interesting to see how distinctive Capcom’s sequels looked in the mid 90s. Pick any Capcom game and its sequel from that period (Rescue Rangers 1 & 2, FF1 and 2, Megaman X 1 and 2) and the sequels have this very distinctive look with a lot of extra detail and color, making them way more cartoony than their originals.

UnNamed

Banned
When they take their time, they produce very good videos. Sometimes I feel they produce videos because they had to, and the quality go down.

Abear21

Banned
I had the snes version and I remember it played fine :messenger_tears_of_joy: but that was a few years ago! Ah, rose colored nostalgia glasses 🤓

The first stage of Final Fight is one of the most iconic in gaming for me, right up there with Sonic Green Hill Zone or Mario 1-1.

Top Bottom