• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro EX: PowerSlave Exhumed - The Classic 90s Shooter Brilliantly Remastered

Fake

Lobotomy Software's amazing PowerSlave (or Exhumed as it's also known) is easily one of the greatest first-person shooters of the Sega Saturn/Sony PlayStation era. Nightdive Studios returns to the game to deliver the definitive remaster. The remastering work is typically brilliant - and the game still shines today.

- Base PS4, Xbox One, Xbox Series S, Switch runs at 1920x1080 at 60fps (Some dips on Nintendo Switch).
- PRO, PS5, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X runs at 3840x2160 at 60 fps.
- Powerful CTR filter, with is very flexible. Works great on CTR monitor.
- Checkpoints added, but is optional.
- Options to AntiAliasing, Higher Texture Resolution, Anisotropy Filter up to x 16, FOV adjust.
- Believe or not you can even turn ON Z-clip emulation and Fixed Point Geometry, with simulate artifacts like texture warble normally on PS1/Saturn era.
- Don't include Death Tank like the original

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I beat the game last week and its great. Its more about exploration and platforming than straight shooting. You'll be returning to old locations to open up new paths with new abilities. I liked the flow. I think its more fun than classic Doom which is a case of beating 30 maze like levels in straight order.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

The amount of work they did here is astounding. Tons of customisation options and again what looks and feels like THE definitive edition of this game. KEX continues to impress, allows them to port these games anywhere with very good performance too. They are not a massive studio either, but what they touch becomes gold.
Not ashamed to say I double dipped on Switch and PS5 for almost all their games… well I said almost as I may have triple dipped for DOOM64 (on XSX) ;).

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They don't really go very in-depth, all things I noticed and mentioned here before hoping they'd delve into it much more when they got around to it. Also they don't mention the minor issues present here and there, water edges having artifacts, some wonky physics when it comes to getting out of the water or falling/fitting through certain gaps being inconsistent, also the behaviour of the eagles is kinda off and there's a visual glitch that so far for me always manifests in a specific place that everyone most likely gets to early on that's also not mentioned. They kinda overplay the issues of Powerslave EX too (without really mentioning them when making the previous video). This is still the definitive version going by its Saturn focused base, they shouldn't add incorrect things about the unofficial version just to slander it vs the official thing. Oh well. Great game, good video still 🤷‍♂️

fart town usa

Gold Member
I picked it up this afternoon on PS4. Holy shit, it's so damn good. I was worried that it wouldn't feel like the Saturn version but it 100% does. The updated controls (dual analog) feel fantastic and all the different video settings. This remaster is brilliant.

Playing it in cinematic mode on PSVR, so much fun.

If you like OG Doom & Metroid Prime, you need to get this game.

nkarafo

I beat the game last week and its great. Its more about exploration and platforming than straight shooting. You'll be returning to old locations to open up new paths with new abilities. I liked the flow. I think its more fun than classic Doom which is a case of beating 30 maze like levels in straight order.
Yeah but Doom tends to have more complex and usually better designed levels.

Powerslave's levels are too simple in comparison and require less exploration. They also have a simpler architecture than most of the fancier Doom maps.

I still love the game but its the Metroidesque backtracking that makes the maps interesting, otherwise they would feel generic on their own.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
While the Metroidvania aspects are pretty unique for the genre and time, I wouldn't downplay the solid boomer shooter sensibilities here as well. You have crazy fast movement and swarms of enemies and weird gimmicky weapons... Not to mention keys to find and lots of secrets... Like it still works on a Doom level, even with the backtracking and permanent ability upgrades.

SkylineRKR

Which is why I bought it for PS5. Its not enhanced. The S can easily outdo the PS4 Pro version and run it at 120hz like Quake 1.

While the Metroidvania aspects are pretty unique for the genre and time, I wouldn't downplay the solid boomer shooter sensibilities here as well. You have crazy fast movement and swarms of enemies and weird gimmicky weapons... Not to mention keys to find and lots of secrets... Like it still works on a Doom level, even with the backtracking and permanent ability upgrades.

It gets very good once you get float, and the fireball and thunder powers. It becomes a bit like Hexen there. But by then you're like 3 levels away from the ending.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I picked up Powerslave for Switch a couple weeks ago and it's terrific. It's exactly what I was wanting, which is an updated version of the Sega Saturn classic that doesn't make unnecessary changes or suffer any fatal errors. The one thing I wish was present was the ability to play with the original "Goldeneye" control scheme. I'm sure this is just me, and that modern gamers used to dual-stick controls won't notice, but my brain has a hard time adapting to that style and just wants to play like I can on Saturn. You can change the control settings in the options screens, but you cannot change the settings on the analog sticks. I'm probably the only one asking for this, so it's not likely to ever happen.

In any case, here's Powerslave on modern consoles. It's great and well worth playing.

I picked up Powerslave for Switch a couple weeks ago and it's terrific. It's exactly what I was wanting, which is an updated version of the Sega Saturn classic that doesn't make unnecessary changes or suffer any fatal errors. The one thing I wish was present was the ability to play with the original "Goldeneye" control scheme. I'm sure this is just me, and that modern gamers used to dual-stick controls won't notice, but my brain has a hard time adapting to that style and just wants to play like I can on Saturn. You can change the control settings in the options screens, but you cannot change the settings on the analog sticks. I'm probably the only one asking for this, so it's not likely to ever happen.

In any case, here's Powerslave on modern consoles. It's great and well worth playing.
Wow, that's idiotic of them to not include the original control scheme.

Orta

Banned
Have played the PC version to death over the past fortnight so double dipped for the Switch. Its absolutely glorious to be playing such a brilliant game on a heldheld. Even for a dedicated m&kb snob like myself (few frame drops aside) its so smooth once x and y axis are bumped up.

Brilliant game, one of the best 90's shooters as far as I'm concerned. Doom is always going to be number 1 but Powerslave wipes the floor with Duke Nukem, Quake, etc.

Top Bottom