• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Resident Evil Village Demo: PS5 vs PS4 Pro vs Pro - All Consoles, All Modes Tested

ErRor88

Ray tracing on, ray tracing on, prioritise frame-rate, prioritise quality, PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5. There are many ways to experience Resident Evil Village on Sony console and we got our first taste of the game across multiple consoles in the weekend demo. John and Rich take point, showing off the game on all systems and getting to the bottom of Capcom's bizarre 45fps performance claims..

ethomaz

Banned
Let's kick off with PlayStation 5, which renders at 4K resolution, albeit with evidence reconstruction via checkerboarding. CBR artefacts only present on foliage and hair and they're barely noticeable and the impression is of a game that looks really good on a 4K screen. Run with ray tracing off and the experience is totally locked to 60fps. Turn ray tracing on and effectively it's the same thing - albeit with some drops into the 50s. It's not the 45fps Capcom mentioned, but this may represent a worst case scenario. Really, RE Village runs with an unlocked frame-rate across all modes and all systems.
Is ray tracing worth the performance hit? We'd say no based on what we've seen so far. RT offers up low resolution reflections and a diffuse GI pass (which also replaces screen-space ambient occlusion), along with some additional smoke in the fire sequence, but there's definitely the sense that RT is a bonus add-on grafted onto what is very much a cross generation experience.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
People will still complain. When cross-gen was announced, some people on here said that it was gonna be Cyberpunk all over again.
Randy Orton No GIF by WWE

Flabagast

People will still complain. When cross-gen was announced, some people on here said that it was gonna be Cyberpunk all over again.
Randy Orton No GIF by WWE
Tbf it is not pushing the same kind of heavy tech that Cyberpunk did, which lead (and only) version was obviously the PC one for a (too) long time.

RE8 is most probably a PS4 game by design, contrary to what was assumed during its announcement, and it shows.

Kuranghi

Yeah I don't like the RT GI on its own, makes their faces too "lit" (420) in some scenes vs. the AO. I think thats the nail in the coffin for me to just play it on PC, its a lot cheaper and this way I can do a 1440p@60 optimised settings run and a native 4K@30 + max settings run while syncing the fps but with no added input lag.

I'm so glad the HDR doesn't need a lot of fucking around this time, I just set the 1st screen as instructed (ie my peak brightness) and the 2nd one to default and it looked amazing. Is it using HGIG maybe? It looked so perfectly set for my display compared to how fucked RE2/3R looked at default.

edit - Amazing price of £35 (£40 for digital deluxe) for a global Steam key on cdkeys!

ww.cdkeys.com/pc/resident-evil-village-pc-steam

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Tbf it is not pushing the same kind of heavy tech that Cyberpunk did, which lead (and only) version was obviously the PC one for a (too) long time.

RE8 is most probably a PS4 game by design, contrary to what was assumed during its announcement, and it shows.
I agree. It's clearly doing more favors for the base PS4 than it is for nex-gen systems, lol.

GamesAreFun

Banned
Is ray-tracing a meme? Whenever I see a comparison, it looks almost identical except for increased brightness and a lower framerate. I have poor eyesight though, perhaps the difference is more impressive to others.

The game looks visually good, if a bit dark.

ethomaz

Banned
It is good more non-first party games are getting sub 2s in loading times like first-party games.

There are two 3rd-party that did that: NioH and Resident Evil VIII.
PS5 games should not have big load times.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Is ray-tracing a meme? Whenever I see a comparison, it looks almost identical except for increased brightness and a lower framerate. I have poor eyesight though, perhaps the difference is more impressive to others.

In this specific case it is very little used... you will find it in low resolution reflections or in the diffuse GI pass.
But it is very subtle... DF even called it "sense that RT is a bonus add-on".

It is really not something IQ changer in that game.

Kilau

Gold Member

To me ray tracing has been very underwhelming. The only time I've really been wowed by it is Minecraft.

darkleemar

Neo Member
To me ray tracing has been very underwhelming. The only time I've really been wowed by it is Minecraft.
Im of the opinion that ray tracing is great even if we don't see it much. Makes things easier on developers. In the past they have had to go to some pretty intense lengths to "fake" lighting. Having physically accurate light models can take a lot of the guesswork out of it. Thats what I understand anyway I could be wrong.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Shame it's blatantly a cross gen game. I was hoping this game would be a true next gen showcase.

At least it has the next gen loading times. Interested to see how the xbox handles the loading.

Will play with RT off.

Top Bottom