• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart State of Play Reaction and Analysis

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
More pics :

51152469886_b09cc7954e_k.jpg
Bruh, look at each individual lit grass blade... during gameplay. PS5 is a tiny triangle and fill-rate machine!

truth411

You're nitpicking, Spiderman MM performance RT locks the fps to a dynamic 1440p meaning it goes down to around 1080p
This disingenuous. Its 1440p-1280p depending on how busy the screen is and uses Insomniacs Temporal Injection to boost the quality up to a similar 4k image. 1080p is a rare absolute worst case scenario and in now way representative of the internal resolution of the game during normal gameplay.

In any case when AMD FX comes out Native 4k Resolution for games will become even less meaningful. Like DLSS, image reconstruction techniques have advanced so far these days that going Native 4k is a waist of resources. This will become a paradigm shift in game development for this generation of games, especially for consoles.

Anything is possible when the res hit that sweet 1080p

Do i need to remind you that PS5 box got 4k and 8K logos on it?

These comments are so idiotic.
OF COURSE THE RESOLUTION IS LIMITED BY THE HARDWARE, WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL HAPPEN WITH XBOXES GAMES?
People are bashing the PS5 games like if the Xboxes (the Virgin and the SeX) where machines with unlimited power that will have no compromises. Specially the complaint about the limited resolution of the reflections, get used to it because it'll be the norm morons. With a limited RT budget the developers have to make decisions. Ubisoft chose to use full resolution for the reflections on Watched Dogs Legion and remember how that one ended? On a game with more closed and claustrophobic scenarios would work wonders, but on a game with so many open areas and streets the limited distance of the reflections is jarring, attracts more attention that the actual reflections, it's a mistake! Insomniac made the better choice/compromise, reducing the resolution allows for more reflections (specially when AMD solution have a fixed threshold where the performance fall of the cliff) the overall result end being more cohesive reflections across the world.
Think about graphics from this angle, why the faults and compromises are there, what they allow the game to achieve? (this is actually the case for Cyberpunk RT, the amount and intensity of the RT lighting and reflections helps a lot to hide lower quality aspects of the graphical simulation).

BlackTron

LOL at the people nitpicking the graphical deficiencies of this game. It reeks of insecurity and desperation.

Rift Apart looks fucking good. I can confidently say this as a guy who plays on PC, PS and Nintendo all the time. When I get a PS5 this will be my day 1, console homeymoon Mario type game. And I'll be having too much fun to worry about the losers counting strands of hair or whatever.

FrankWza

More experts I see? After all these analysts missed out on telling us about Returnal before DF did and had absolutely no clue they’re now trying to get out in front and make claims before any concrete info comes out. My preorder is in.

Buggy Loop

Looks insanely good. I don’t care too much about pushing X or Y more than game Z, I’m not even a PlayStation owner and probably don’t intend to this gen, but what I can say is that the studio seems to have pushed the boundaries of their artistic choice to the limits. Kind of like Nintendo nailing their art style for Mario. This looks very good.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Also John said that it looks better than Ratchet cinema movie, so people saing its pixar level were quite conservative :messenger_sunglasses:

Im pretty sure the budget for that movie was like super low, and it was made by some rando no name animation studio. The movies budget was 20 million, that includes marketing, and paying the voice cast, so maybe like 10 mill for animation? The budget for the 2009 pixar film “Up” was 175 million dollars

hroerekr

As if datas streaming doesn't exist, nowadays there is no difference between open world's level of details and linear games, look at RDR2, look at HZD, look at DeathStranding...

That's not how it works.
Data streaming impacts performance. And like I said, open world games have systems running all the time to adapt and react to the player and it must be loaded way in advance. It's nor just 3D meshes that you see on screen, but also the systems running the AI for chars, vehicles, and how they react to each other even if there is no player interaction.

In a linear game, things can be completely loaded and discarded as needed with very defined events. You know exactly how much memory will be available or needed at each point and adapt the game if a point stress the system.

I work with world streaming and AI controlled agents in Unreal, and hiding that fact from the user while keeping consistency as things go in and out of memory or get high or low priority in processing cycles as you keep frame-rate intact is a huge effort.

That's not how it works.
Data streaming impacts performance. And like I said, open world games have systems running all the time to adapt and react to the player and it must be loaded way in advance. It's nor just 3D meshes that you see on screen, but also the systems running the AI for chars, vehicles, and how they react to each other even if there is no player interaction.

In a linear game, things can be completely loaded and discarded as needed with very defined events. You know exactly how much memory will be available or needed at each point and adapt the game if a point stress the system.

I work with world streaming and AI controlled agents in Unreal, and hiding that fact from the user while keeping consistency as things go in and out of memory or get high or low priority in processing cycles as you keep frame-rate intact is a huge effort.

Sounds like Cerny designed the PS5s I/O to reduce the impact on performance from data steaming. Probably the reason why almost all I/O functions are offloaded to the custom I/O hardware. If the CPU or GPU had to participate in that the performance impact would be larger.

limitedmonkey87

Neo Member
The game looks great. Unfortunately the franchise still doesn't resonate with me in large part due to the generic orchestral score. Always felt like it made the game feel cold and hollow. It was only until I saw a Youtube comparison that I realized that the music used to be way better.

I still will pick this up but yeah man sucks that I'm not super hyped

THEAP99

Banned
Aren't review copys are sent out after the game goes Gold?
The Game isn't Gold yet.

Review copies yea but this embargo is for previews.
Usually, as seen with Returnal and The Last of Us Part 2, the previews were done with the final copy of the game. It allowed reviews to just "preview" and talk about certain parts of the game. I assume that is the case here, again. But it is strange that the game hasn't been announced as gold yet. Perhaps it did and they just didn't want to announce it?? Anyways, looking forward to hearing hands-on impressions Wednesday.

This is pretty early though for previews if they do have the final copy of the game.

Last edited:
Usually, as seen with Returnal and The Last of Us Part 2, the previews were done with the final copy of the game. It allowed reviews to just "preview" and talk about certain parts of the game. I assume that is the case here, again. But it is strange that the game hasn't been announced as gold yet. Perhaps it did and they just didn't want to announce it?? Anyways, looking forward to hearing hands-on impressions Wednesday.

This is pretty early though for previews if they do have the final copy of the game.

Well I hope the previews are early because they are extremely confident in the game. That would be a good sign.

Top Bottom