• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart State of Play Reaction and Analysis

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think it looks great.
But it needs water ripples and mud foot prints here:

These will probably be in when the game launches. I remember hearing the same thing with no footprints or foliage moving with Ghost a month out, and they were in when it launched.

Or if not, would be a weird oversight for them.
The artists at these Sony companies are without a doubt top notch artists. Cyberpunk has more detail and tech but their consistency leaves a lot to be desired.
Cyberpunk has less density in the world's atmosphere.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

giphy.gif
n2DvfGV.jpg

Fredrik

These will probably be in when the game launches. I remember hearing the same thing with no footprints or foliage moving with Ghost a month out, and they were in when it launched.

Or if not, would be a weird oversight for them.
That was Sucker Punch but how has previous Ratchet games been on this? Or Spider-Man?
Anyway I’m used to weird oversights in AAA games but it sticks out when everything else is top notch. Maybe there is a 30fps mode with all things added?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That was Sucker Punch but how has previous Ratchet games been on this? Or Spider-Man?
Anyway I’m used to weird oversights in AAA games but it sticks out when everything else is top notch. Maybe there is a 30fps mode with all things added?
Honestly, I never really noticed in R&C on the PS4, not something I payed attention to with that game I suppose. Have not played either of the Spider-Man games yet either, but there were footprints left in the snow for Miles, I remember that much from the videos. Most of the city is a concrete jungle.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Every time I look at the trailer I am still amazed.

They set the bar high... I cant even imagine what later gen games will look like.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No it does not. Cyberpunk is doing more per frame by far. Objects are large - which requires more GPU cycles with the shaders. Tiny objects instanced all over the world isn't expensive.
Efficiency with tiny triangles is not generally heralded as great 🤨.

Also not sure we should judge per frame complexity or even sometimes brute force correct approaches unless the results is really easily discernibly better or it massively simplifies a dev’s work (it sometimes reads as boasting how much more expensive you can make something).

LJbDdO7.jpg

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I knew before clicking the thread you’d be here. It’s like you can’t help yourself.
A console thread where people need to kept grounded and understand how what they find impressive actually sucks… compared to the glorious and cheap PCMR possibilities.

J/K, but that is often how this reads. He can make very interesting and educated threads and he is mostly not obnoxious, but sometimes it just gets me puzzled at best… that is all.

No it does not. Cyberpunk is doing more per frame by far. Objects are large - which requires more GPU cycles with the shaders. Tiny objects instanced all over the world isn't expensive.
It's the contrary. Smaller polygons are harder to render than bigger ones. Much harder. Even Alex said it. Ratchet is basically displaying 1 polygon per pixel. That's UE5 level of polygon density, something you don't see in those big PC games like Cyberpunk because those have to run on myriad of hardware.

It's the contrary. Smaller polygons are harder to render than bigger ones. Much harder. Even Alex said it. Ratchet is basically displaying 1 polygon per pixel. That's UE5 level of polygon density, something you don't see in those big PC games like Cyberpunk because those have to run on myriad of hardware.

Seems like Cerny designed the system to handle small triangles well.

Also it's easier to fully use 36CUs in parallel than it is to fully use 48CUs when triangles are small it's much harder to fill although CUs with useful work.

I guess that would explain why the triangles are so small in Ratchet and the Unreal Demo. To a certain extent they were even small in Demons Souls.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Let's be honest. Two years ago, if we saw this photo and someone asked us to identify which is the movie and which is the game, more than 90% would have said the image on the right is from a video game; the left one is a still from the movie.

It's amazing how far we have come in such a short time with the PS5 -- when many of us thought that we are already deep into diminishing returns territory.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I wonder why Cyberpunk 2077 didn't use one polygon per pixel since it's not computationally expensive 🤔

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Seems like Cerny designed the system to handle small triangles well.

I guess that would explain why the triangles are so small in Ratchet and the Unreal Demo. To a certain extent they were even small in Demons Souls.
This. That's a big goal of the PS5. Send lots and lots of small polygons with super-fast SSD and then render it with fast cycles.

To my eyes, this makes the biggest visual difference -- even bigger than 4K and ray-tracing. 1 polygon per pixel just makes a game infinitely more beautiful! Dare I say, like a Pixar movie.

Hugare

Look at that difference of fur in offline (with bounced GI). The realtime fur looks completely wrong. Self-shadowing fur with a good hair shader is a long ways off.
Eh, but it would be such a waste of resources

Most of the time during gameplay you dont see Ratchet so close to the camera, so that's fine. It looks good enough.

This is the kind of thing that I'm fine with being exclusive to cutscenes.

Just like subsurface scattering during gameplay

VFXVeteran

Banned
Efficiency with tiny triangles is not generally heralded as great 🤨.

Also not sure we should judge per frame complexity or even sometimes brute force correct approaches unless the results is really easily discernibly better or it massively simplifies a dev’s work (it sometimes reads as boasting how much more expensive you can make something).

LJbDdO7.jpg
I'm not going to get into a subjective argument over R&C. It looks really great for it's artistic presentation. No one denies that fact. It's not a technical achievement like so many PS gamers are trying to declare. So let's just leave it objective when we talk about technical merits and subjective for the overall presentation. I think that's fair.

This. That's a big goal of the PS5. Send lots and lots of small polygons with super-fast SSD and then render it with fast cycles.

To my eyes, this makes the biggest visual difference -- even bigger than 4K and ray-tracing. 1 polygon per pixel just makes a game infinitely more beautiful! Dare I say, like a Pixar movie.

It would be very interesting to see if that's the advantage the PS5 has over the XSX.

VFXVeteran

Banned
It's the contrary. Smaller polygons are harder to render than bigger ones.
That's not true unless they are pixel sized triangles with complicated shaders on them.

Much harder. Even Alex said it. Ratchet is basically displaying 1 polygon per pixel. That's UE5 level of polygon density, something you don't see in those big PC games like Cyberpunk because those have to run on myriad of hardware.
No he's not saying that. He said he can't find any polygon sharp edges. That's completey NOT the same as pixel sized triangles. FS2020 also has incredible tessellation but the game isn't pushing pixel sized triangles. UE5 is using pixel sized triangles. R&C is not that. Common guys.

Cyberpunk has large objects that need complicated shaders evaluated at the per pixel level. There is a LOT more going on at the shader level in Cyberpunk than R&C. That's why the pink water pool is nothing but a pink plane with glow attached to it. The cost of pixels per frame is significantly cheap. Read my thread on The Medium. I prove it there.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
Lol at people still comparing the city in this game to night city. Sony fanboys are sad. This is a linear game there is no city at all. The player can go just where the developers wants them to go. The traffic, the buildings, it's all just a fancy backdrop. Cyberpunk is an open world you can actually explore the city.

The solutions you can come up with and the resources you have in a linear game are completely different.

Last edited:

muteZX

Banned
I meant to say small objects. And no, when they take up only a 1/200th of screenspace, the objects are cheap to render. Period. I've done it several times and know the costs. This game is not a technical marvel at all. It's an artistic marvel and that's OK.

may the force be with you.

replace force with batched draw calls.

if epic can do supixel poly mesh, anyone can do .. even Ratchet.

So, just to be clear. People are comparing this:

N6O5Zgh.png

A small, compact city, with obscured landscape and fogged geometry in distance to something like this:

TTGDPNr.jpg

And their conclusion is that Ratchet looks better ? That its the peak of current graphics ? Nevermind that we have games like Half Life Alyx or Flight Simulator

Last edited:

Mr Moose

N6O5Zgh.png

A small, compact city, with obscured landscape and fogged geometry in distance to something like this:

TTGDPNr.jpg

And their conclusion is that Ratchet looks better ? That its the peak of current graphics ? Nevermind that we have games like Half Life Alyx or Flight Simulator
Yes, that screengrab from a video looks better than Cyberpunk (artistically). On a technical level maybe not, but it probably has better AI than Cyberpunk.

I meant to say small objects. And no, when they take up only a 1/200th of screenspace, the objects are cheap to render. Period. I've done it several times and know the costs. This game is not a technical marvel at all. It's an artistic marvel and that's OK.
So that was what you wanted to say from the beginning? You feel better? Guess what, we knew this was your take about it from the start. We were just messing with you. This is why you are not taken seriously when it's about any Playstation game, your bias is blinding you.

harmny

Banned
Yes, that screengrab from a video looks better than Cyberpunk (artistically). On a technical level maybe not, but it probably has better AI than Cyberpunk.

You know what the difference is? It's easier to make something look better artistically when you have control over everything. You can't explore that city in ratchet and clank. And it doesn't have better ai because it doesn't have any ai at all. Those are just baked animations

Mr Moose

You know what the difference is? It's easier to make something look better artistically when you have control over everything. You can't explore that city in ratchet and clank. And it doesn't have better ai because it doesn't have any ai at all. Those are just baked animations
I agree with the first part, but what? The enemies in R & C have no AI? I guess you could say they have that in common with Cyberpunk :messenger_beaming:

N6O5Zgh.png

TTGDPNr.jpg

Take into account that version of Cyberpunk isn't available on these consoles. Ratchet when compared to the console versions of Cyberpunk can be seen as better.

harmny

Banned
I agree with the first part, but what? The enemies in R & C have no AI? I guess you could say they have that in common with Cyberpunk :messenger_beaming:

Oh you mean enemies ai? Yeah could be i don't know because it's a completely different genre. I thought you meant random npcs and traffic ai which is what people usually criticizes about cp

Top Bottom