• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart State of Play Reaction and Analysis

Thirty7ven

Banned
giphy.gif

VFXVeteran

Banned
Finally a real unbiased review! I'm glad they mentioned the same tech as Spiderman and praised the game's artistic quality. It really is good. While the hair is using their new spline based tech, the shading has a long way to go. I'm used to seeing self-shadowed hair with a complicated Marschner BRDF hair model.

They also mentioned what it would take to make this game having movie quality. Noticing the non-light source water, etc.. They did a good job of recognizing that. Nevertheless, I still think the game looks great!

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I just wish I could see it without youtube compression, but even if you get the Digital Foundry patreon files its pointless because they are just watching the 4K youtube video. I want to be able to see the micro effects that are being wiped away by the video compression all the time rather than just occasionally or when I pause it. That plus all the detail in the distance and in the darker areas.

He's talking about the rain and I bet most people can't even perceive that on their displays, makes it hard to talk about the graphics and it doesn't help that they have limited how much zooming they do now since that seemed to piss people off, when they only did it because they knew idiots were watching the comparisons on their mobile phones, I need to hold my phone 4 inches from my face to get the same size of image I see from my TV at 6-7 feet and even then its not a 4K display makes comparing 1080p to 1440p or 1440p to 2160p almost impossible.

So many games these days have too much detail to be seen in shitty youtube quality, like this one, but also games with a really minimal art style look like crap on youtube too, like The Pathless, that game looks so much better natively - in 30fps mode I mean, 60fps mode wipes away all of the detail as well, it sucks, IQ-wise - I wish publishers would set up a website where you can go see direct feed videos if you want, I'm sure most people don't gaf so it wouldn't even cost that much to host them.

The issue is probably that direct feed files mostly don't exist anymore, since they just send them straight to youtube.

Oh wait, I just had a thought, Sony could release their trailers on the Bravia Core service in higher quality, since that seems to be the point of that service. Sounds like too much of a niche case though.

sncvsrtoip

Finally a real unbiased review! I'm glad they mentioned the same tech as Spiderman and praised the game's artistic quality. It really is good. While the hair is using their new spline based tech, the shading has a long way to go. I'm used to seeing self-shadowed hair with a complicated Marschner BRDF hair model.

They also mentioned what it would take to make this game having movie quality. Noticing the non-light source water, etc.. They did a good job of recognizing that. Nevertheless, I still think the game looks great!
Also John said that it looks better than Ratchet cinema movie, so people saing its pixar level were quite conservative :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Hmm why don't we have a dedicated Digital Foundry OT? :pie_thinking:

Seems many of us on Gaf enjoy their insights and commentary, often enough there's always a thread whenever they cover a major title.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member

I notice that too and it really stands out. I'm surprised they decided to keep that color if they weren't gonna have it cast. It stands out. But I guess they really wanted to keep their colorful environment, and I can't argue that it wasn't the right choice. It's such a good looking game overall that it makes those type of things stand out more strangely.

reksveks

The R&C movie isn’t anywhere close to Pixar level, let alone the game 😂

If this is what we’re getting at launch window I'm very interested to see Insomniac’s second wave of games in a few years
Yeah, there is a quality of level difference between Toy Story 4 and the R&C movie

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

UMOg0Fd.gif

supernova8

Banned
I notice that too and it really stands out. I'm surprised they decided to keep that color if they weren't gonna have it cast. It stands out. But I guess they really wanted to keep their colorful environment, and I can't argue that it wasn't the right choice. It's such a good looking game overall that it makes those type of things stand out more strangely.

I felt they could've masked it by adding some sort of over-the-top bloom effect. A bit like how actual lava doesn't look like it's being lighted "right".

That was a react video.

No summary again?

Just copied post from ERA

• Excellent animation
  • Real-time cutscenes have a pre-rendered look
  • Rivet reflects on enemy visor
  • RT is similar to Miles Morales
  • Alex believes Insomniac are most likely using spline hair rendering technology for Ratchet and Rivet’s fur
  • A lot of geometry on display
  • It’s tricky to see visible triangle edges on objects which brings it closer to an animated movie
  • Wonderful post processing and motion blur
  • Planets are more complex and densely populated
  • Pink fluid doesn’t have a light source
  • Nice depth of field during gunplay
  • Rain falls correctly
  • First game to use SSD for traversal mechanics
  • smoke particles are lit
  • Great indirect lighting during the bug speeder scene
  • John and Alex believe the two MC’s are hand animated for faithful representation
  • Great Photo-mode and accessibility option

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
i completely disagree. Why would anyone want to wade through all that, keep the threads individualized.
Agree. Keep things separate.
Just an idea tbh.

Imo would be nice to have, especially for the smaller topics and videos they produce, but not necessary. I also enjoy the feeling of fresh active conversation because of new threads, so I get :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom