• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart PS5 - The Digital Foundry Tech Review

makaveli60

So nextgen indeed arrived it seems. I‘d really like to watch this video but I don’t want to spoil the game so I won’t until I finished it. I really hope the praise this gets convinces Jimbo and co to ditch crossgen for the next series of PS exclusives and build them entirely around the ps5.

No need to go full Ben Shapiro guy, go quote more cgi studios to make arguments about game graphics
Lol talk about not knowing basic fundamentals of graphic.

“nor your photorealistic “rock” have ever been used in videogames. ”

Again where have you been? Photogrammetry is a standard today for games aiming for photoreal and this is from a game in 2015.

Last edited:

HAL-01

Lol talk about not knowing basic fundamentals of graphic.

“nor your photorealistic “rock” have ever been used in videogames. ”

Again where have you been? Photogrammetry is a standard today for games aiming for photoreal and this is from a game in 2015.

And like I said, none of those models are as high fidelity as the rock you posted. They’re all lowered in LOD to run in real time. Not that you’d know, you just googled a bunch of bullshit to back an argument with no evidence

FunkMiller

Yes, he is.
He doesn't know what he is talking about, he's not a developer, he's not able to properly test the impact of the SSD or the amount of contented streamed but he talks about it like he knows.

They are armchair experts that should be imbarassed of posting their opinions even on obscure internet forums.

Ah, I see, so John from DF, NXGamer NXGamer and Mark Cerny are all full of crap for stating that the Ps5 can do things that aren't possible with last gen tech. Whereas you: faceless NeoGaf poster with a somewhat dodgy handle on spelling, are correct.

Cool, cool. I'm sure you're absolutely right, and haven't imbarassed yourself at all.

If it's easier or not doesn't matter, what matters is that it looks good and runs even better.

But what's the deal in trying to diminish this achievement? At the end of the day is the PS5 that has the games with best graphics in all styles, isn't it?

Thief1987

Comparing their ~1024x1024 normal textures. The photoreal comes in at 525kb versus stylized 312kb. Almost double.
Where did you get this? DXT textures have texel based size, if they have the same pixel resolution they will have the same size in bytes, regardless of their complexity.

Last edited:

ripeavocado

Banned
Ah, I see, so John from DF, NXGamer NXGamer and Mark Cerny are all full of crap for stating that the Ps5 can do things that aren't possible with last gen tech. Whereas you: faceless NeoGaf poster with a somewhat dodgy handle on spelling, are correct.

Cool, cool. I'm sure you're absolutely right, and haven't imbarassed yourself at all.

413l1qf-yBL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I haven't mentioned NXGamer or Cerny, you did and they are different people that have said different things (and Mark Cerny definitely knows what he's talking about)

My spelling is poor because

1) Commenting on DF bullshit is already plenty of time wasted, I am not going to double check my spelling or take it slow.
2) I am not a native english speaker.

HAL-01

Where did you get this? DXT textures have texel based size, if they have the same pixel resolution they will have the same size in bytes, regardless of their complexity.
i'd also like to know where he got that number, the source of the models is a blogpost by a game artist. they dont talk numbers.

They do happen to mention that the technicalities of texturing realistic and stylized PBR materials are the same. Who knew

Lucky8BB

Banned
40fps mode in ratchet and clank feels clearly more responsive. IMO this should be mininal framerate target on current gen.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
There aren't enough 120Hz TVs out there for this to go mainstream.
Here's what Best Buy is selling right now:

AdBSM4A.png

Also keep in mind there are far more listings for 60hz TVs that are permanently out of stock, or only available as floor/unboxed items than 120hz.

The tide turned like 2 years ago.

Granted many TVs out there are older than that.. but we are talking about a $400-500 console that is loved by the type of consumers who keep their TVs up to date that just came out.

Last edited:
Here's what Best Buy is selling right now:

AdBSM4A.png

Also keep in mind there are far more listings for 60hz TVs that are permanently out of stock, or only available as floor/unboxed items than 120hz.

The tide turned like 2 years ago.

Granted many TVs out there are older than that.. but we are talking about a $400-500 console that is loved by the type of consumers who keep their TVs up to date that just came out.
Ah, I forgot about 1080p screens. Didn't think anyone was buying those.

Anyways, aren't there only a handful of 4K/true-120Hz screens?

I only play on monitor, so I'm waiting for the prices to go down on 4K/120Hz VRR monitors.

Top Bottom