• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] PS5’s Backwards Compatibility: Which games could see the biggest boost?

John ( D dark10x ) and Rich talk the PS5 BC and which PS4 games could potentially get the biggest boosts and benefits on the PS5, while also discussing limitations of console BC and realistic expectations/what to expect.

From DF YouTube

PS4 backwards compatibility is coming to PlayStation 5 and while it's currently uncertain how many games - and which games - will run with enhanced performance levels, John Linneman and Rich Leadbetter have a range of titles they're itching to test on the new hardware. In their view, these are the games that could benefit most with extra CPU and GPU horsepower... and here's where you'll find out precisely what those titles are.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

Last edited:
BloodBorne
Wipeout at 120fps

Thats all I can think of that I want.

Edit:
Nioh series.
The first Darkness

It says something when the majority of the video is non PS4 exclusives. The majority of PS4 exclusives ran fine across the two models. There was the exception of BB which is just typical From Software "whats a framerate?" development process that spans across two gens.

Sony really needs to focus more on BC for the ps2-ps3 gens Imo. Outside of emulation the majority are not able to be played anywhere other than the OG hardware. Thats pretty sad when you think about it.

If they came out and said at the start of the ps5 gen, youll just need to keep your ps4 console to play thats gens exclusives, but heres PS2-Ps3 support, then that would be a much bigger deal than PS4 games running capped at 30, when they ran close enough or at that on the PS4. Considering this is the first gen where launch games are still as good looking as late gen titles...I dont think no BC for PS4 games right away would be that big of a deal.

Then theres the Vita library. They ported the Vita version of Wipeout, Tear Away, Gravity Rush etc...but yet left KZ Merc to die which is considered to be better than KZ4.

Last edited:
At the very least I’d like to think any game that targeted 30 or 60 FPS but couldn’t maintain it will get locked in a those targets and any game will dynamic res will get maxed rez (whatever that is for each game) throughout. At the least, anyway

As John says, From games in particular could benefit quite a bit

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
At the very least I’d like to think any game that targeted 30 or 60 FPS but couldn’t maintain it will get locked in a those targets and any game will dynamic res will get maxed rez (whatever that is for each game) throughout. At the least, anyway

As John says, From games in particular could benefit quite a bit

Which is kind of odd. From games have a frame pacing issue which is prevalent no matter the framerate on the PC as well. It's in their engine design that has gone unfixed.

Bloodborne doesn't have a performance issue for "dips" in framerate, it's frame pacing that would need to be fixed in engine from what I understand.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Doom 2016
Devil May Cry 5
Prey

^All have loading issues on PS4, either with regards to frequency or length. PS5 should be able to help.

I know not everyone has a PC, but seriously, who cares if thirdparty/multiplat games (UBI, EA etc) games are BC supported on PS5.

Do the people who consume that throw away entertainment actually go back and play the older ones, other the first one that got them into the series?

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Bloodborne purely for the loading times

Bloodborne is locked at 30fps and 1080p. The Boost would not do anything.

Well they need to patch it to support higher resolutions, fix the framepacing and add some AA. I have zero issues with a smooth console 30fps.

Of course they are. I am expecting nothing positive from them about PS5. Only negative or meh stuff. Some of them were still saying PS5 was using RT only for audio not long ago or that it didn't have hardware RT.

They are spreading FUD about PS5 since the beginning of last year at every opportunity.

Unless you read a poorly translated draft transcript in braille, how did you get any of this from the video?

Last edited:

Fake

Lets see their talk thx.

edit: They showing Knack, so is a good video.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Bloodborne
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Prey
Titanfall 2
Sekiro

Also, I hope Ps4-generation fighting games look and play better, even if it's just smoothing out framerate a tad or offering higher resolutions/slightly-sharper textures. I want Guilty Gear Xrd and STRIVE to both look really good and play really smoothly ( they're two of the best-looking fighting games this gen) on the PS5

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
They are spreading FUD
You're spreading FUD.
When even the tech savvy guys that do this for a living are confused by the GDC/messaging of the platform holder it's the latter's fault for doing a piss poor job.
Digital Foundry also covered PS5 properly and were positive/hyped for that, I didn't see your name in that thread but if there's even a wif of negativity immediately the horde starts it's attack.

You're spreading FUD.
When even the tech savvy guys that do this for a living are confused by the GDC/messaging of the platform holder it's the latter's fault for doing a piss poor job.
Digital Foundry also covered PS5 properly and were positive/hyped for that, I didn't see your name in that thread but if there's even a wif of negativity immediately the horde starts it's attack.
I was talking about their whole attitude since last year:
- RT won't be possible for lighting, only for Audio (after the first Wired interview in which they talked about RT applied to graphics for several paragraphs).
- PS5 has no hardware RT (a definitive statement in one of their video).
And recently their whole flawed comparison using RDNA1 to imply that PS5 RDNA2 high clocks won't translate into higher performance, or not much higher.

That's all their words and deeds. I am not spreading FUD, they are.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'm not too fussed about enhanced titles, so long as it can run the PS4 games like a Pro does at least in BC mode
Yeah, unless we’re talking double the usual frame rate or an enhancement from something like 1080p to full 4K, BC “enhancement” isn’t something that piques my interest. The ability to play my older games without a separate console is nice though.

Mithos

Ever since the Road to PS5, I've interpreted the way backward compatibility were announced/described like this...

The wast majority of PS4 titles will "just work" straight up, no patches or work needed, because they will use PS4 mode* or PS4 Pro mode*. *(BC mode profiles)
However we (Sony) have also tested the top 100 played games in PS5 Native mode (Boost mode for a PS4 title) and of the 100 titles tested so far...

No confusion at all...

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
What? Alex seems to be a super nice guy, man.
Nope. Know too many of his kind from back home and at my age i dont have the patience to listen to him. Very pc elitist type (klugscheisser).
I had a coworker who always lectured me about how his new pc shits all over the ps2 he very much reminds me of him.

He is good for pc content but he should never talk about consoles.

I like everybody else .

Also his posts on era are very lefty so again dont care for him.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I was talking about their whole attitude since last year:
- RT won't be possible for lighting, only for Audio (after the first Wired interview in which they talked about RT applied to graphics for several paragraphs).
- PS5 has no hardware RT (a definitive statement in one of their video).
And recently their whole flawed comparison using RDNA1 to imply that PS5 RDNA2 high clocks won't translate into higher performance, or not much higher.

That's all their words and deeds. I am not spreading FUD, they are.
Yup there is this undercurrent of Xbox fanboyism to everything they say... it's extremely annoying to listen to for me. I just can't keep going for more than a few minutes at a time.

stranno

Not sure if this is a complain but i'm getting a bit tired of raytracing, performance videos of the same games over and over (Resident Evil 2/3, I'm looking at you) and future-tech-speculation videos on DF.

I miss those classic DF Retro (without chatting) or Playstation 4, XBOX One and Switch performance videos. There have been quite a lot of releases recently.

Of course unlocked-framerate games will get a big boost and locked framerate game will get a more stable performance. But just lets wait for the actual tests, I think..

I guess these kind of videos are less time consuming (maybe) but there's no need to launch a video every day or two days.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
What? Alex seems to be a super nice guy, man.

To be completelly honest, I don't like him either. Hes a bad presenter imo. His talks varies too much from soft to loud(mostly happens when he laughs, and is way too high and it happens frequently), so it ends up being annoying to hear. And his videos are mostly meh in presentation.
I respect him from his tech knowledge, but simply can't stand his videos.

To be completelly honest, I don't like him either. Hes a bad presenter imo. His talks varies too much from soft to loud(mostly happens when he laughs, and is way too high and it happens frequently), so it ends up being annoying to hear. And his videos are mostly meh in presentation.
I respect him from his tech knowledge, but simply can't stand his videos.

What gafs obsession with this guy.

Ive never seen anything like it.

Nobody born to liking everyone. Will be a time when you'll be get spotted not liking someone here. Remember that before being a white knight of whatever you like.

Im not a white knight because youre a pack of bullies.

Ive still yet to see a legitimate reason as to why everyone is obsessed with this guy.

Nobody born to liking everyone. Will come a time when you'll be get spotted hating someone here. Remember that before being a white knight of whatever the person you like.

Im not taking a side here, but I think it’s fair to point out that every recent DF thread seems to contain at least a solid percentage of “Alex sucks” posts even if he’s not in the said video. I still don’t understand what he did other than post about the PS5 on era or something like that

Last edited:
Top Bottom