• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Playstation 5 Back Compat vs Xbox Series X, Ps4/Pro (Skyrim)

muteZX

Banned
The Mendoza level once again /Hitman 3/. IF alpha THEN drops frames pattern and as with Hitman 3 .. XSX is once again less stable. PS5 is winning and most probably thanks to ROPs running at higher frequency aka fillrate.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I thought they would both breeze this. 60fps @4k on a 1070 medium settings matches this. Ultra settings is around 50-55fps.
Can't complain for free though.

The Mendoza level once again /Hitman 3/. IF alpha THEN drops frames pattern and as with Hitman 3 .. XSX is once again less stable. PS5 is winning and most probably thanks to ROPs running at higher frequency aka fillrate.

did hitman hit you? lol. XSX is Running this Game with +44% more pixels and even higher Settings (way better shadows).

muteZX

Banned
did hitman hit you? lol. XSX is Running this Game with +44% more pixels and even higher Settings (way better shadows).

I quote DF - an alpha is obviously a problem for XSX comparing to PS5 as it shows with Valhalla /torch scene/, Hitman 3 /mendoza. scope rifle, tire smoke/ or Skyrim /fire/ or COD. XSX cant hold 4K in Hitman 3. Simple static scene with some instanced flowers and 60 fps target is gone.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Correct me if I'm wrong but alot of this falls in line with what M1chl M1chl had said in the Hitman 3 thread. Obviously this game isnt a good example but whenever there are particle/smoke/transparency/foliage effects on screen the PS5 does alot better (and the xbox does better with pure resolution)
Pretty happy that someone noticed : )

GHG

It's an alt of a banned user. I wouldn't worry.

So is the person you're replying to.

giphy.gif

Pretty happy that someone noticed : )

Don't be affraid, he is not the only one :D

I think the PS5 has a real advantage at this level due to his Pixelfillrate over the XsX for example. But I think also for Skyrim, it is possible that the PS4 pro version fit slightly better on PS5 as it use the same ROP/CU configuration than One X version on XsX (that's totally hypothetical, difficult to have BC comparaison using exactly the same level of details/resolution due to PS4 pro and One X versions).
In any case, I have played Skyrim on XsX since it is in gamepass, 60fps is so fucking good with it. Happy to see PS5 users to have the possibilities to play in the same condition, thanks for Skyrim mods community !

Last edited:
That's not how the PS5 BC really works, only select titles are limited to Pro Clocks.

That is exactly how it works, unless Mark Cerny was wrong? If a game isn't patched or released with support for the PS5, then it falls back to PS4 or Pro mode depending on whether the game has PS4 Pro support or not. The boost we see in performance is likely due to the huge IPC increase over the last gen parts as seen with several games on NXGamer's BC videos. Considering Skyrim released before PS5 support was mandated in PS4 titles last year, it means that it would require a patch or hotfix to make it PS5 aware and have full access to the fastest clockspeeds.

Last edited:

J_Gamer.exe

Same with the ps5 ssd,and the loading times in bc titles
Not really, some do show a benefit.

But if you think about it logically old games are designed to the cpu to do the work, the foreign io setup on ps5 is not ideal for unchanged bc code.

The xbox has a no smt option which may explain some results also nx gamer points out the way bc is done on ps5 means its often ps4 pro suped up.

Ps5 doesn't have the setup xbox does to further utilise bc games.

The xbox in a bc game like sykrim performing the way it does makes sense only if you look at the previous results so far all together. Xbox struggles with assassins creed etc and the areas in hitman where it drops, alpha affects and foliage maybe. But its still a bit odd given bc usually favours its setup.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I thought they would both breeze this. 60fps @4k on a 1070 medium settings matches this. Ultra settings is around 50-55fps.
Can't complain for free though.

both are using mods. This isn’t an official patch so neither are really pushing the game as they could.

Andodalf

Banned
That is exactly how it works, unless Mark Cerny was wrong? If a game isn't patched or released with support for the PS5, then it falls back to PS4 or Pro mode depending on whether the game has PS4 Pro support or not. The boost we see in performance is likely due to the huge IPC increase over the last gen parts as seen with several games on NXGamer's BC videos. Considering Skyrim released before PS5 support was mandated in PS4 titles last year, it means that it would require a patch or hotfix to make it PS5 aware and have full access to the fastest clockspeeds.

We’ve since learned they they were able to get the higher BC mode working for the vast majority of titles, as shown by DF in their launch coverage.

mrmeh

Nice boost for any Skyrim fans on next gen. Never liked the visuals myself so the 4k60 doesn't do anything for me.

Always see lots of comments about older games running faster on low spec'd PC's than next gen consoles... important to remember that most last gen console games have been fudged about with to run on shit Cpu's and compiled with SDK's and libraries made specifically for that gen so It's not same as running the the PC game on an upgraded PC.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned

Oh look, it's another victory for PS5. What a surprise.

It's almost like it's the most powerful machine after all and all those devs knew better than Xbox fanboys.

I doubt Bethesda will ever update these officially to run a bit better on current gen consoles so its pretty cool some random dude did it with mods.

Even my freaking smartphone can run that game.

For all the Skyrim is playable on everything jokes over the years I'm surprised it hasn't made its way to smartphones yet, it wouldn't even need be a large file either. I think the 360 version was like 3.9 GB and PS3 was just under 5GB, those versions would look great on a small screen. They'd probably have a really hard time getting touch controls to work though since it would be pretty hard for a game like this, and it's Bethesda.

Mahavastu

Man the ps5 back compat prowess continues to impress me. I really wasnt expecting it to hold up as well as it has. Especially given the amount of time and money microsoft poured into the xbox back compat. I don't remember really any fanfare or anything on it leading up to the release. What a pleasant surprise its been though.
The hardware is here, we just need more highres/60fps patches for it to shine...

Mahavastu

That is exactly how it works, unless Mark Cerny was wrong? If a game isn't patched or released with support for the PS5, then it falls back to PS4 or Pro mode depending on whether the game has PS4 Pro support or not. The boost we see in performance is likely due to the huge IPC increase over the last gen parts as seen with several games on NXGamer's BC videos.
No, PS4 games do not need to be aware of running on a PS5 to use the higher performance. The better IPC would not explain the extend of higher performance PS5 BC delivers in some games.
Even back in march 2020 Mark Cerny said in the "road to PS5" video, that they already tested 100 games in boost mode and had great success. These games were not patched back then

Rich did suggest the improved performance over Series X may well be down to the 36 cu's on PS5 (same as PS4 Pro) and the higher clock speed. An old title like this would not be coded to take advantage of the far higher compute units on the Series X, just makes sense.

vkbest

Rich did suggest the improved performance over Series X may well be down to the 36 cu's on PS5 (same as PS4 Pro) and the higher clock speed. An old title like this would not be coded to take advantage of the far higher compute units on the Series X, just makes sense.

36 cu's but at Pro speed GPU and CPU.

Are we really testing two gen old titles now? What's next? A video from DF titled, "Tetris, an Xbox Series X Advantage?"

Isnt the xbox version literally running the xbox 360 version in BC? The PS4 got its own port I believe.
When I opened this thread I literally though, "skyrim? next we'll be testing tetris for the real next gen experience"

haha.

Yeah I thought that too. I doubt this is using more CU's than One X.
The way it runs on PS4 also made me think it's not properly multi-threaded (I'm sure it does technically support it, but it's not doing anything particularly effective with it)

So it's like old software running on a new PC, it prefers less cores and more MHz, as that is what is more in line to what it is expecting. Whatever is extra is that equation (more CPU cores, or more CU's on the GPU), just gets ignored.

Most modern games are not written like that, of course.

I didn't knew that port was so hideous.
Oh look, it's another victory for PS5. What a surprise.

It's almost like it's the most powerful machine after all and all those devs knew better than Xbox fanboys.
Are you trolling?

Not like it matters, discussing which comes out ahead in everything, as most things will reflect differences in either architecture/philosophy or SDK, but jeez.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I was going to dismiss this as an option, but then when I watched the video and one of the first things it mentions is that there is a way to play with trophies I changed my mind completely. Re-downloading Skyrim on my PS5 right away 😆

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Yeah I thought that too. I doubt this is using more CU's than One X.
Stop. There is no evidence that the X doesn't use the full resources for BC, in fact that was one of the strengths since the BC was not HW based, it could accelerate and boost old titles. Only PS5 has the concept of "PS4" and "PS4 Pro" HW modes for BC, it was in the Cerny slides. Don't invent excuses unless you have something to back it up.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
My only peeve about this thread is that the OP doesnt't point out that these are simple user mods NOT made by Bethesda that only raise the frame cap of the games. These games are still compiled to the XBOX ONE and PS4 spec. There is no telling what is coded into the basic design of each that is specific to each hardware that could be hindering performance on both or maybe the interface of how mods are handled themselves.

Stop. There is no evidence that the X doesn't use the full resources for BC, in fact that was one of the strengths since the BC was not HW based, it could accelerate and boost old titles. Only PS5 has the concept of "PS4" and "PS4 Pro" HW modes for BC, it was in the Cerny slides. Don't invent excuses unless you have something to back it up.
The engine might not scale like that.

36 cu's but at Pro speed GPU and CPU.
Yeah I don't think so

Last edited:
That depends. It's not like your game knows how many CU's you have, but it might be unable to use more/all of them, even if they are available (just like it can see 8 cores, but only be able to use 4) - a game might not really tax your PC even if it is unoptimized and runs like crap. It's not like this is an intensive game in regards to what is going on.

BC on both consoles spends less energy than native games, so it's not like it can run pseudo-natively on either BC (meaning it probably never uses all CU's, and on the CPU front, it might not run them remotely close to the specs you see on paper).

To be fair, I'd say the game is almost certainly not GPU limited, it's probably CPU limited (I was reading a bit about it's multithreaded implementation on the latest PC version, and it's not a modern multi-threaded game at all, it's mainly dual-core enabled where the first CPU is reserved for draw call listing, and the second is reserved to process them - modern games offloaded that out the CPU with Mantle/Vulkan/Metal - and a software implementation can't do that for the game) - it also doesn't play nice with Hyperthreading enabled, as it causes micro-stutters. As for what's causing it to falter on Xbox Series X, any guess is just a guess.

Last edited:
The engine is irrelevant. Its legacy code being pushed through BC with brute force. It's not like the Skyrim devs were coding for the XSX or PS5.
Yes exactly and it might not scale the across the large cu discrepancy since this is a console game made to work on that console. Ps5 is basically exactly PS4 pro for BC except much faster. So this engine might scale better to just more power rather then more power in a totally different environment.

I quote DF - an alpha is obviously a problem for XSX comparing to PS5 as it shows with Valhalla /torch scene/, Hitman 3 /mendoza. scope rifle, tire smoke/ or Skyrim /fire/ or COD. XSX cant hold 4K in Hitman 3. Simple static scene with some instanced flowers and 60 fps target is gone.
Performance problems when there are plenty of alpha effects are 100% a hardware deficiency. No amount of tools improvement will be able to fix that as alpha effects are using the most basic and simple hardware functions.

With only 16 ROPs XB1 had this bottleneck for the whole gen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom