• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF | Outriders First Look: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/ Series S vs Xbox One X!

Riky

$MSFT
Those games have issues on all platforms except ps5, there's not a single game with data streaming issues on ps5 because of that ssd. I've seen enough on Xbox, what's happening now is just excuses it's the usual now halo infinite running on a pc isn't the new excuse.🤣🤣🤣 oh man if I had a dollar everytime Xbox fanboys and microsofts came up with an excuse I'd be a millionaires by now.

Dirt 5 has exactly the same LOD issues on PS5, you're utterly deluded.

huraga

Banned
You don't need to be a nuclear scientist or an astronaut to know about the bottlenecks on series x, we've seen that's in games already again. Control drops fps when streaming, cyberpunk freezes/ stutters when streaming, dirt 5,the medium/ halo infinite both have texture popin. So I've seen enough examples that show an obvious bottleneck on series x ssd

And if those examples weren't enough, Marc cerny explained the bottlenecks quite clearly, it's not just about having high bandwidths there's a lot of hardware bottlenecks you have to remove the only hardware the series x has is a decompression block. None of the other io hardware that ps5 has.
iQV2Jk0.jpg
PsDy8uH.jpg

Ok. Maybe the engineers made a big mistake. Even would be good to share this info with them in twitter, to they know the issue.
Please show where is the bottleneck in the Series X scheme and explain in detail what is happening.

huraga

Banned
560gb/s is gpu bandwidth popin occurs when streaming from disk/storage to gpu so it's a storage to gpu bottleneck.
Guy, storage is always a bottleneck in the 100% of systems in the world, in PS5, SX, PC or any other system. PS5 SSD (5.5 GB/s) is more than 80 times slower than the GDDR6 (446 GB/s). PS5 SSD has 5.5 GB/s in SEQUENTIAL READ, NOT IN RANDOM. RANDOM is the most important because the access to the disk mostly are randoms and the performance of PS5´s SSD in random read is quite lower than in sequential, like in any other SSD/HDD in the word.

Ok. Maybe the engineers made a big mistake. Even would be good to share this info with them in twitter, to they know the issue.
Please show where is the bottleneck in the Series X scheme and explain in detail what is happening.
They didn't make a mistake, it's the best engineering they could do with their given budget and knowledge they didn't design the bottlenecks, the bottlenecks are a consequence of the engineering. I don't need to discuss with either of them cause it's not their problem. I'm not some Karen who complains to the govt when it's raining outside. like some of you

Shmunter

Guy, storage is always a bottleneck in the 100% of systems in the world, in PS5, SX, PC or any other system. PS5 SSD (5.5 GB/s) is more than 80 times slower than the GDDR6 (446 GB/s). PS5 SSD has 5.5 GB/s in SEQUENTIAL READ, NOT IN RANDOM. RANDOM is the most important because the access to the disk mostly are randoms and the performance of PS5´s SSD in random read is quite lower than in sequential, like in any other SSD/HDD in the word.
Secondary storage speed comparison to ram is irrelevant. While the faster the better, It only needs to be fast enough to load assets into ram within a time window. Of which next gen increases the scope exponentially, particularly PS5.

Gfx ram is used for multiple read/write operations as the scratchpad for all the gfx calculations and composition of the frame buffer. It’s infinitely more critical than secondary storage which only ever needs to be a tiny fraction of gfx ram speed.

Last edited:

huraga

Banned
They didn't make a mistake, it's the best engineering they could do with their given budget and knowledge they didn't design the bottlenecks, the bottlenecks are a consequence of the engineering. I don't need to discuss with either of them cause it's not their problem. I'm not some Karen who complains to the govt when it's raining outside. like some of you
Sure! It has a lot of sense! Microsoft one of the three biggest and powerful company in the world with budget issues. hahaha

But, of course, Sony that even it is not in the top 20 they didn´t budget issues.

Or maybe Microsoft engineers are very stupid and Sony engineers are very smart.

Btw, which is your contact in Microsoft to know that they had budget issues?

huraga

Banned
Secondary storage speed comparison to ram is irrelevant. While the faster the better, It only needs to be fast enough to load assets into ram within a time window. Of which next gen increases the scope exponentially, particularly PS5.

Gfx ram is used for multiple read/write operations as the scratchpad for all the gfx calculations and composition of the frame buffer. It’s infinitely more critical than secondary storage which only ever needs to be a tiny fraction of gfx ram speed.
Please, tell me how works that time window.

What exactly is the required fraction of disk speed to avoid that the storage make a bottleneck?

Can you make a scheme detailed with all of this by you. Please, also detail the latencies and other small things.

Sorry, I don't want to ask you too much, but the way you speak you sound like a great expert dnd not the typical forum person who picks up information from here and there to pretend he knows. I think you can answer this accurately.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Hitman 3.

Funny Face Reaction GIF

Well, as long as the XSX can't outperform the PS5 on the areas like graphics, res or framerate (everything combined), then yes the PS5 wins. Why? because MS told people they would crush everything from day zero, with the "best" multiplatform games, "true" 4K, "60fps", and RT.

Well Sony is crushing them with almost all of these points.

About the bottlenecks in SX. I think you are saying this because you h ave a huge experience in system designs for main companies, like Amd, Nvidia, Microsoft or Sony, right?

Please, when somebody starts to talk about bottlenecks or deep technical things, at least be an expert. It´s tiring hear those kind of things from amateur guys from Neogaf/Twitter with no any experience designing GPU or CPU.

Can you imagine a medical fan arguing with doctors about how to perform surgery? It´s exactly the same
I agree with this at some level, but, you don't have to be an expert to see various oddities/dips that seem to plague the XSX in a lot of head-to-head comparisons with the PS5, sure, we can go back to how the GDK isn't mature enough, but, Microsoft is a software company foremost, so that shouldn't be an issue. They've got backwards compatibility nailed, they've got quick resume, etc.

You effectively have highspeed access to 10GB's of GDDR6 which is rated for 560GB/s.

The OS reserves 2.5GB

This leaves 3.5GB of GDDR6 rated at 336GB/s.

If you will, a thought experiment:
-Coldwar, running on aa RTX 3080 essentially allocates all GPU memory during gameplay.
()
-Coldwar, running on an RTX 3090 essentially allocates 12.5-13.5GB's during gameplay.
()

Back to the XSX/PS5
Assets, textures, etc have to be loaded into VRAM.
-So, are they only limiting themselves to 10GB's of GDDR6? Or are they storing assets into that slower tier once the higher tier has been exhausted? Split memory architecture was done for one reason only, to marry cost savings with a 320bit bus so that the APU could be fed with 556GB/s, albeit with only 10GB of GDDR6 accessible at those speeds.

Which system do you think it better apt/efficient for such a task? It's the same reason we don't see NVIDIA or AMD busting out split memory architecture on their graphics card, because why would they?

To me, that's the only explanation. That's the only real thing that could explain it, and maybe TDP aspects of each system as well.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Please, tell me how works that time window.

What exactly is the required fraction of disk speed to avoid that the storage make a bottleneck?

Can you make a scheme detailed with all of this by you. Please, also detail the latencies and other small things.

Sorry, I don't want to ask you too much, but the way you speak you sound like a great expert dnd not the typical forum person who picks up information from here and there to pretend he knows. I think you can answer this accurately.
No, I won’t do that. But if you understand that engines streaming assets from secondary storage is nothing new, you should be able to grasp that increasing that streaming capacity by multitudes opens up more asset potential.

If you don’t know about engines streaming assets then do a Google search, or even watch Mark Cerney PS5 presentation as a great start.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
MAte why are you comparing video ram bandwidth with storage babdwidth, your just throwing in whatever numbers in ur sentences..... as I've said before "popin" is a result of the bandwidth bottleneck that exists between storage and video memory.

And to remove such bottlenecks that lead to popin/stutters/freezes you need (a.) a fast ssd to feed the video ram mark cerny's goal was to have 5.5gb per second of raw data 9-22gb of compressed data to feed the 16gb ram on ps5 in a second.
B8Z16VO.jpg
nsBoFBC.jpg

Secondly cerny explained just bandwidth alone isn't enough you need hardware to remove the latencies that exist between streaming data from ssd to storage as such..
k1K57bo.jpg
gX8iEFc.png

And tim sweeney explained this countless times but as usual it fell in deaf fanboy ears
73wCaRN.jpg
XTX3bgl.jpg

Do you have any more ridiculous questions?

Last edited:

huraga

Banned
I agree with this at some level, but, you don't have to be an expert to see various oddities/dips that seem to plague the XSX in a lot of head-to-head comparisons with the PS5, sure, we can go back to how the GDK isn't mature enough, but, Microsoft is a software company foremost, so that shouldn't be an issue. They've got backwards compatibility nailed, they've got quick resume, etc.

You effectively have highspeed access to 10GB's of GDDR6 which is rated for 560GB/s.

The OS reserves 2.5GB

This leaves 3.5GB of GDDR6 rated at 336GB/s.

If you will, a thought experiment:
-Coldwar, running on aa RTX 3080 essentially allocates all GPU memory during gameplay.
()
-Coldwar, running on an RTX 3090 essentially allocates 12.5-13.5GB's during gameplay.
()

Back to the XSX/PS5
Assets, textures, etc have to be loaded into VRAM.
-So, are they only limiting themselves to 10GB's of GDDR6? Or are they storing assets into that slower tier once the higher tier has been exhausted? Split memory architecture was done for one reason only, to marry cost savings with a 320bit bus so that the APU could be fed with 556GB/s, albeit with only 10GB of GDDR6 accessible at those speeds.

Which system do you think it better apt/efficient for such a task? It's the same reason we don't see NVIDIA or AMD busting out split memory architecture on their graphics card, because why would they?

To me, that's the only explanation. That's the only real thing that could explain it, and maybe TDP aspects of each system as well.

Microsoft said that they were moving from the old GDK (Xbox One S/X) to a new one unified with PC (Dx12 Ultimate). So, as all we know the new GDK is very immature. Imagine for a moment the complexity to make a GDK shared between PC and Console.

In another hand, you can´t compare COD PC version with Console versions and much less compare memory consumptions because they have nothing to do with or work the same.

Also there are techniques like SFS that allows save lot of video memory to avoid to get the limit of those 10GB. Also the memory in Series X is unified but it has two channels to access this, one faster and another slower, and it´s not is an issue.

It's funny how some people think that the transmission speed between the SSD (5.5 sequential read) of PS5 and its RAM is not a bottleneck, but think that the transmission of the slowest channel of Series X at 336GB / s it is a bottleneck.

huraga

Banned
No, I won’t do that. But if you understand that engines streaming assets from secondary storage is nothing new, you should be able to grasp that increasing that streaming capacity by multitudes opens up more asset potential.

If you don’t know about engines streaming assets then do a Google search, or even watch Mark Cerney PS5 presentation as a great start.

Hope that helps.
You won´t do it because really you don´t know how to do it. :)

ethomaz

Banned
I won’t enter in the point of which is better random or sequential when SSD has 0 seek times but where is the source about PS5 SSD speeds being sequential?

And about the game data it is always put in a sequential way since old days... the fact PS4 even have duplicated data do make it sequential to the mechanical drive spin tells you a lot about the subject... the PS4 and PS5 Ryle system was created to have games always in sequential read.

Last edited:
Microsoft said that they were moving from the old GDK (Xbox One S/X) to a new one unified with PC (Dx12 Ultimate). So, as all we know the new GDK is very immature. Imagine for a moment the complexity to make a GDK shared between PC and Console.

In another hand, you can´t compare COD PC version with Console versions and much less compare memory consumptions because they have nothing to do with or work the same.

Also there are techniques like SFS that allows save lot of video memory to avoid to get the limit of those 10GB. Also the memory in Series X is unified but it has two channels to access this, one faster and another slower, and it´s not is an issue.

It's funny how some people think that the transmission speed between the SSD (5.5 sequential read) of PS5 and its RAM is not a bottleneck, but think that the transmission of the slowest channel of Series X at 336GB / s it is a bottleneck.

It wasn't a direct comparison, it was a thought experiment. One that was intended to show that loading in assets to VRAM can consume north of 10GB. Why do you think they put 16GB's of GDDR6? Out of the kindness of their hearts? Or maybe because the other 8GB's was lonely and needed a friend? No. It's for assets and other stuff my good man.

You're saying it's not an issue, but here we are, and there are issues.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
First of all we are not talking about rtx io this is ps5 vs series x your bring a lizard into a crocodile fight... find another thread about rtx io and ps5 then I'll gladly indulge in it.
RTX IO is just Nvidia specific implementation of MS DIrectStorage. Data flow is and will be same for every implementation because that's whole reason why it was created.
Could you also spend some time on properly formatting your posts? They are borderline unreadable.

huraga

Banned
I’m pretty sure even on PS4 the data read is sequential and not random.
The accesses that a video game needs to disk are random since the information that the video game needs is not stored contiguously. So random read/writing are usually the most important mesure in a SSD/HDD. Sequential read/writings is more typicall when you are copying files from big blocks.

Last edited:
The accesses that a video game needs to disk are random since the information that the video game needs is not stored contiguously.
What? No. Not really. All assets are called into VRAM in a predetermined/predictable manner depending on what is needed, and if we're talking PlayStation specifically, game data is placed contagiously for quicker access, see database rebuild (For when stuff seems slow to access)

ethomaz

Banned
The accesses that a video game needs to disk are random since the information that the video game needs is not stored contiguously. So random read/writing are usually the most important mesure in a SSD/HDD. Sequential read/writings is more typicall when you are copying files from big blocks.
It is stored in sequential... that is the whole point of the actual game data being duplicated in HDD to have the access of the data in a sequential way for the mechanical spin.

SSD doesn’t have seek time so you don’t need duplicated to have the sequence of data to follow the spin of the disc but all data is still in a sequential way... Sony own file system was created for that.

BTW the difference in performance in sequential vs random in SSD is due the garbage collection in write operation... read is basically not affect that makes your point really off.

Last edited:

huraga

Banned
It wasn't a direct comparison, it was a thought experiment. One that was intended to show that loading in assets to VRAM can consume north of 10GB. Why do you think they put 16GB's of GDDR6? Out of the kindness of their hearts? Or maybe because the other 8GB's was lonely and needed a friend? No. It's for assets and other stuff my good man.

You're saying it's not an issue, but here we are, and there are issues.
Not all the memory is for video memory, So needs memory, Audio needs memory, I/O needs memory and other things in background. It´s true that usually is easier to develop for fully unified memory but sometimes have two access of memory could work well.

In my opinion they have a good reason to use two access to the memory, maybe to get a bigger parity with the PC/API or other things.

If the system load is well balanced it should not influence the least.

RTX IO is just Nvidia specific implementation of MS DIrectStorage. Data flow is and will be same for every implementation because that's whole reason why it was created.
Could you also spend some time on properly formatting your posts? They are borderline unreadable.
That's just retarded.. rtx io is nvidias hardware implementation not much has been said about it and velocity architecture Is microsofts. Direct storage is an api it's not hardware I repeat it's an api. It's a software that talks to the hardware. The bottleneck is the hardware, the series x doesn't have the io hardware compared to ps5s it depends on software to minimise the bottlenecks and try to immitate what ps5 does.

It's why we still see popin in series x games and data streaming issues.

Last edited:
That's just retarded.. rtx io is nvidias hardware implementation not much has been said about it and velocity architecture Is microsofts. Direct storage is an api it's not hardware I repeat it's an api. It's a software that talks to the hardware. The bottleneck is the hardware the series x

ethomaz

Banned
RTX IO actually uses DirectStorage... it doesn’t way more than what DirectStorage does.

huraga

Banned
It is stored in sequential... that is the whole point of the actual game data being duplicated in HDD to have the access of the data in a sequential way for the mechanical spin.
In the disk it´s storaged sequentially but the problem is when the game needs to get an image file, audio file, etc, this info usually it´s not ordered. Even for the SSD is not the same read from the same group of blocks (usually 4MB size) than jump to another group of blocks, there is some latency, of course quite lower than in a HDD, because it´s solid memory.

For example see Samsung 860 Evo Pro.

Sequential read/write and random read/write in SSD is so fast but random is a little bit slower.

Last edited:
Not all the memory is for video memory, So needs memory, Audio needs memory, I/O needs memory and other things in background. It´s true that usually is easier to develop for fully unified memory but sometimes have two access of memory could work well.

In my opinion they have a good reason to use two access to the memory, maybe to get a bigger parity with the PC/API or other things.

If the system load is well balanced it should not influence the least.
The split memory isn't a benefit it was a consequence of minimising the budget they had. A unified 560gb/s would have been more expensive so they went with 336 and 560gb/s for 10gb in their measurements 10gb was enough for the gpu and they knew very well that there will be bottlenecks but they had no choice.

huraga

Banned
The split memory isn't a benefit it was a consequence of minimising the budget they had. A unified 560gb/s would have been more expensive so they went with 336 and 560gb/s for 10gb in their measurements 10gb was enough for the gpu and they knew very well that there will be bottlenecks but they had no choice.
But why are you making things up? have you worked internally on that project?

Of course there is an implicit cost issue but they probably thought that it would be better to have two accesses divided into 560 GB / s and 336 GB / s than just one of 446 GB / s. Moreover, I think it is more expensive and difficult to design to have two accesses, one fast and one slow, than just one at the same speed. If they made this decision it was for something.

Perhaps they preferred to prioritize the bandwidth in a part of the memory to be able to move high resolution textures much faster and leave the memory slow for the system processes (Os, Audio, AI).

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
In the disk it´s storaged sequentially but the problem is when the game needs to get an image file, audio file, etc, this info usually it´s not ordered. Even for the SSD is not the same read from the same group of blocks (usually 4MB size) than jump to another group of blocks, there is some latency, of course quite lower than in a HDD, because it´s solid memory.

For example see Samsung 860 Evo Pro.

Sequential read/write and random read/write in SSD is so fast but random is a little bit slower.
In random write due garbage collection.
Read the doc.

100k operations of 4KB blocks is basically 4xx MB/s.

Write is where the performance with random get a hit due garbage collection.

Last edited:

Of course there is an implicit cost issue but they probably thought that it would be better to have two accesses divided into 560 GB / s and 336 GB / s than just one of 446 GB / s. Moreover, I think it is more expensive and difficult to design to have two accesses, one fast and one slow, than just one at the same speed. If they made this decision it was for something.

Perhaps they preferred to prioritize the bandwidth in a part of the memory to be able to move high resolution textures much faster and leave the memory slow for the system processes (Os, Audio, AI).
I'm not making things up. The heck. They have budgets. Consoles aren't pcs you have a cost target to hit in a 500$ box and you have to make some sacrifices. You have a choice (a.) make an expensive hardware with a unified 560gb/s that will incur losses when selling the console at 500$ for a couple of years or

(B.) make split ram one fast pool of 560gb/s at 10gb and 6gb at 336gb/s this will have bottlenecks in some scenarios And good performance in some for instance you'll have very good performance in games that require 10gb of total ram footprint but bottlenecks show up in games that require more than 10gb in short flactuating performance.

(c.) go with a slower 448gb/s of unified ram this is slower but gives you benefits of unified ram for instance low data access latencies and Sony took this approach but engineered fast gpu clocks so caches are much faster + cache scrubbers and series x went with a slower gpu clocks and split ram.

Different teams different decisions to fit in a 500$ box both Microsoft and Sony would have loved to have unified 560gb/s but they've had to make sacrifices to achieve their goals.

Last edited:

I believe the reason was cost, the most logical reason was they intended for 20GB of GDDR6.

Dirt 5 has exactly the same LOD issues on PS5, you're utterly deluded.
🤣its you whose deluded, "LOD" is not "POPIN" level of detail Is determined the cpu if the code tells the cpu to render a bigger texture or more triangles on an object at a certain distance it is unavoidable.

Popin is when the texture/ polygon asset doesn't arrive in time to be rendered this is a consequence of having bandwidth bottlenecks between storage and gpu. If the texture or data was in video memory you wouldn't see popin or since it is resident in the fast video ram.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT

They answered this ages ago, developers wanted the fastest bandwidth possible for the GPU so they gave them 10gb of it. The remainder of it if is needed is still faster than the Xbox One X ram which also could do 4k. The CPU and system reserve doesn't need that sort of bandwidth so there was no point increasing the cost of the console to incorporate a full 16gb of it.
Waiting for the RDNA2 full performance saving feature set will also play into this equation over time.

Riky

$MSFT
🤣its you whose deluded, "LOD" is not "POPIN" level of detail Is determined the cpu if the code tells the cpu to render a bigger texture or more triangles on an object at a certain distance it is unavoidable.

Popin is when the texture/ polygon asset doesn't arrive in time to be rendered this is a consequence of having bandwidth bottlenecks between storage and gpu. If the texture or data was in video memory you wouldn't see popin or since it is resident in the fast video ram.

You have no idea what you're talking about, Dirt 5 renders everything the same time on both machines, I challenge you to show the examples of where that is not the case, let's see the evidence that none of the comparisons have shown.

You have no idea what you're talking about, Dirt 5 renders everything the same time on both machines, I challenge you to show the examples of where that is not the case, let's see the evidence that none of the comparisons have shown.
It renders the "LOD" the same on both consoles but has texture popin on series x, don't challenge me just go to YouTube and watch dirt 5 analysis and there's plenty of footage showing popin on series x online so take your time

They've got other issues besides popin:

Leyasu

Banned
People using dirt 5 as justification of something.. lol

That game should have been delayed on the series console. It was nowhere near finished.

It's exactly the same on PS5, as every comparison shows.
You're making the claim not me so prove it, show the evidence.
It's not the same that's a pure lie both digital foundry and nx gamer have found it to perform differently infact dirt 5 Is the reason... and the start of all the tools/ directx 12/ covid 19 Xbox excuses sincerely it had bad visuals than ps5 until it received patches that solved some issues but not all of them. Good example
Arm7FpN.jpg
3wKBdSv.png

Riky

$MSFT
It's not the same that's a pure lie both digital foundry and nx gamer have found it to perform differently infact dirt 5 Is the reason... and the start of all the tools/ directx 12/ covid 19 Xbox excuses sincerely it had bad visuals than ps5 until it received patches that solved some issues but not all of them. Good example
Arm7FpN.jpg
3wKBdSv.png

That was the settings bug in 120hz mode that got fixed🤣🤣🤣🤣

It's been patched since then, but that's irrelevant anyway.
The guy is making a claim about popin on the Series X, which is also apparent exactly the same on the PS5 as EVERY comparison clearly shows, I'm asking him to show this difference and unsurprisingly he can't because he's talking rubbish.
Watch the video there's popin on series x and stop confusing LOD with popin.

Riky

$MSFT
Yes so don't say dirt 5 Is the same on ps5 and series x. They fixed some of the issues but not all of them they didn't fix popin. On series x

Which is also there on the PS5 version, but there is a difference your right, here it is,
PKYeUd9.jpg

Leyasu

Banned
Which is also there on the PS5 version, but there is a difference your right, here it is,
PKYeUd9.jpg
Why would anyone waste time defending dirt 5 on the XsX?

The game was straight up unfinished at launch, and even their 6 weeks to fix the bugs was not enough.

Forza horizon fucking destroys it. Even unpatched last gen games like gt look better.

Let it go

It's been patched since then, but that's irrelevant anyway.
The guy is making a claim about popin on the Series X, which is also apparent exactly the same on the PS5 as EVERY comparison clearly shows, I'm asking him to show this difference and unsurprisingly he can't because he's talking rubbish.

Have all the issues been fixed? Do you have a link so that I may inspect?

Top Bottom