• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF | Outriders First Look: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/ Series S vs Xbox One X!

Mr Moose

PS5 has issues with the lighting/colour and also less LOD, there are pics in this same thread and you can check it. All of this with less resolution and the difference in frame rate is 3,2 fps on average, you can check this in VG Tech.

Get used to it because from now on it seems to me that the lower resolution on PS5 is going to be a trend.

Btw, did you check it? yes, again, lower resolution in PS5

BC game. Literally the same as the PS4 Pro version except it's locked framerate.

Keep trying though.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Everything matters when it comes to graphics, but once again we have silly comments coming in from both sides (you included).
Everything matters, my post explicitly agrees with that.

And this is your response?

?

Maybe you missed my posts that say IMO a good balance is best vs having priority for either res or fps.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Wow it's 1080P with a perfect 60FPS. They really could have done more with the PS5 version. Unfortunately BC is very limited on the PS5.
Yeah it didn't even get a "next gen" patch like some games, they just upped it to 60fps on the PS4.

- PS4 patch to unlock FPS restrictions (this will help players on PS5 as well)

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
PS5 has issues with the lighting/colour and also less LOD, there are pics in this same thread and you can check it. All of this with less resolution and the difference in frame rate is 3,2 fps on average, you can check this in VG Tech.

Get used to it because from now on it seems to me that the lower resolution on PS5 is going to be a trend.

They will cry about BC, funny in the NFS Hot Pursuit thread that suddenly wasn't as important😅
Lower resolution is a trend that's never going away.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

They will cry about BC, funny in the NFS Most Wanted thread that suddenly wasn't as important😅
It's just a BC game, nothing embarrassing for MS.

I don't think they optimised for PS5 (or Series X), they just upped the settings on PS4 Pro and called it a day and the PS5 did the rest.
Like this?

Everything matters, my post explicitly agrees with that.

And this is your response?

?
"No no no, resolution is all that matters!!!!"

Replying to a poster who was claiming the PS5 version is better. You were mocking posters claiming a victory for Xbox because of the resolution advantage. I'm not sure who you're trying to kid here.

huraga

Banned
They will cry about BC, funny in the NFS Hot Pursuit thread that suddenly wasn't as important😅
When resolution is higher in PS5 but frames lower, then PS5 is better.

When framerate is slighty higher in PS5 but resolution lower then PS5 is better.

When framerate is same and resolution is lower in PS5 then it´s a BC game, so they don´t care about old games.

When PS5 has a big frames drop it´s a bug, when it happens in SX then it´s a bottleneck.

When PS5 and Xbox SX has exactly same settings, framerate and resolution then PS5 is better because their gamepad vibrate like a dildo. (maybe this is the Cerny´s Secret Sauce, you can use the gamepad like a dildo, hahaha)

So, for PS5 fans, PS5 always is and will be better in any case.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

When resolution is higher in PS5 but frames lower, then PS5 is better.

When framerate is slighty higher in PS5 but resolution lower then PS5 is better.

When framerate is same and resolution is lower in PS5 then it´s a BC game, so they don´t care about old games.

When PS5 has a big frames drop it´s a bug, when it happens in SX then it´s a bottleneck.

So, for PS5 fans, PS5 always is and will be better in any case.
You posted a video to a BC game that doesn't even have a next gen patch.
The versions tested were 1.08 on PS5 and 1.0.0.9 on Xbox Series X|S. All three consoles are running this under backwards compatibility.

I defended the Series X when there was drops on a BC game the other day, they inherit the previous gens settings bugs included, some are lucky enough to get a 60fps capped framerate instead of last gens 30fps (Cyberpunk), but it doesn't mean shit for any of the newer consoles, BC games can't be used as a dick measuring power stick, its idiotic.
Do you really think that's the best these consoles can do? You think Cyberpunk with its 47fps is the best Series X can bring?
They. Are. BC. Games.

Some people should consider auditioning for the circus.

huraga

Banned
You posted a video to a BC game that doesn't even have a next gen patch.
The versions tested were 1.08 on PS5 and 1.0.0.9 on Xbox Series X|S. All three consoles are running this under backwards compatibility.

I defended the Series X when there was drops on a BC game the other day, they inherit the previous gens settings bugs included, some are lucky enough to get a 60fps capped framerate instead of last gens 30fps (Cyberpunk), but it doesn't mean shit for any of the newer consoles, BC games can't be used as a dick measuring power stick, its idiotic.
Do you really think that's the best these consoles can do? You think Cyberpunk with its 47fps is the best Series X can bring?
They. Are. BC. Games.

Some people should consider auditioning for the circus.
I agree, BC game´s can´t use for comparision but also neither AC, Dirt and others that were launched recenlty, because they are using old engines. Old engines don´t take advantage of the capabilities of the new consoles. So, to be fair, so far neither PS5 nor Xbox have won any fair battle.

Shmunter

I agree, BC game´s can´t use for comparision but also neither AC, Dirt and others that were launched recenlty, because they are using old engines. Old engines don´t take advantage of the capabilities of the new consoles. So, to be fair, so far neither PS5 nor Xbox have won any fair battle.
Sure they can, same engine on both, compiled on next gen sdk’s for both is a level playing field. Newer engines will also be on both.

The situation evolves in tandem.

huraga

Banned
Sure they can, same engine on both, compiled on next gen sdk’s for both is a level playing field. Newer engines will also be on both.

The situation evolves in tandem.
It´s not the same. Many of the capabilities of Series X/PS5 are not using by old engines, also Series X was moving from an old SKD to a new one. Both consoles has differents approach so both will scale at at slighty different levels.

You Xguys are amazing.
I´m trying to fair with both systems for the sake of understanding all of us.

ethomaz

Banned

Are you really trying to make a point with a limited BC game that not even received a patch for PS5?

Man, Xbox fans are really having a bad time when comes to next-gen games.

Last edited:

Shmunter

It´s not the same. Many of the capabilities of Series X/PS5 are not using by old engines, also Series X was moving from an old SKD to a new one. Both consoles has differents approach so both will scale at at slighty different levels.

I´m trying to fair with both systems for the sake of understanding all of us.
Sure, software will evolve and use the customised hardware more and more.

On that note, see ya when new engines come out. The rest of us will continue living the reality of today.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

So you acknowledge that PS5 and XsX are running in BC mode with PS4 Pro and XB1X graphical settings that are not identical, correct?

Shmunter

Yes, and reality is changing like you are seeing.
Why are you still commenting, shouldn’t you wait for next gen engines to show XsX power and tip the scale over PS5?

Personally based on being an enthusiast, I put my money on PS5 increasing the lead due to having more bespoke customisation that has yet to be implemented. XsX is more like a pc gfx card upgrade, no surprises.

Last edited:
Animated GIF

So desperate for attention 😂
What's new with SFS is that it will further enchance the "streaming" aspect of SF as it will "remove" or "add" mips on the fly, which is directly related of how further the textured object is away from the player's view. So an object that is further away will only require a fraction of the tiled texture, thus saving RAM space and bandwidth.
It's still virtual texturing it's simply saving the ram pool from crashing it doesn't make any special difference, it was done a decade ago it's still being done in 90 percent of the games it's on ps5 series x pc and everything. the real revolution is what ps5 is doing with the ssd by essentially making the ssd immitate ram you can stream 5-22 gb of Cold data just as you turn your camera this is insane and you need hardware like the ps5 to do this not just some texture tricks.

Godfavor

It's still virtual texturing it's simply saving the ram pool from crashing it doesn't make any special difference, it was done a decade ago it's still being done in 90 percent of the games it's on ps5 series x pc and everything. the real revolution is what ps5 is doing with the ssd by essentially making the ssd immitate ram you can stream 5-22 gb of Cold data just as you turn your camera this is insane and you need hardware like the ps5 to do this not just some texture tricks.

I don't know what ps5 does, I am talking about SFS now and it is an evolution of PRT+.

What I have explained above is not possible to do with PRT+, games now days have LOD streaming of low, medium and high rez textures according to players view. SFS is an evolution of it by streaming mips on the fly, which is way more effective than than just changing LOD, as there are a lot of times that a surface will require a fraction of the tiled texture to load.

And by the way xbox SSD can be used as RAM as well for streaming. (Which SFS further enhances the streaming capabilities).

Last edited:
What's new with SFS is that it will further enchance the "streaming" aspect of SF as it will "remove" or "add" mips on the fly, which is directly related of how further the textured object is away from the player's view. So an object that is further away will only require a fraction of the tiled texture, thus saving RAM space and bandwidth.
What about the quality of those mips when used? Are there identical to the normal textures?

I don't know what ps5 does, I am talking about SFS now and it is an evolution of PRT+.

What I have explained above is not possible to do with PRT+, games now days have LOD streaming of low, medium and high rez textures according to players view. SFS is an evolution of it by streaming mips on the fly, which is way more effective than than just changing LOD, as there are a lot of times that a surface will require a fraction of the tiled texture to load.

And by the way xbox SSD can be used as RAM as well for streaming. (Which SFS further enhances the streaming capabilities).
Sampler feedback is virtual texturing it's been done a decade ago and Microsoft actually calls it prt+ it's fucking the same crap it doesn't increase memory mate.

The ssd on Xbox can't be used as ram that's a marketing lie all it has is a decompression block and api tricks to try and simulate what the ps5 does

there's a lot of hardware bottlenecks that you have to remove that the xbox still suffers from the ps5 has a lot of processors to do that plus fucking 12 channels, and we've seen this in games already the Xbox stutters/ drops frames or freezes as any other machine when streaming data in games like cyberpunk freezes, control drops fps, dirt 5 has texture streaming issues And even the medium the game that's using the ssd and velocity architecture bollocks has texture popin issues that digital foundry found out and none of this problems are seen on ps5. So no mate virtual texturing Ian to going to save xbox and the ssd on xbox isn't anything near to what ps5 Is doing.

We've seen unreal 5 render scenes with 100+ gb of 8k/polygons per pixel something impossible to do without having 100 gb of ram on ps5 infact epic had to remake the engine because of how impressive the ps5 was, we've seen ratchet switch worlds in 2 seconds, we've seen Spider-Man, demon souls, godfall, little big planet all load in a second on ps5 and none of this on Xbox. If the series x ssd was anything special we'd have already seen something and I'm sorry to say it isn't special your being deceived by marketing buzzwords.

Last edited:
Yes it can. If you like it or not... Using a hardrive etc as Ram isnt a new thing btw...
No it can't there's not a single game on series x that's doing anything remotely as what ps5 has shown. A game like the medium that's using the ssd as ram has popin already sorry mate.

Godfavor

Sampler feedback is virtual texturing it's been done a decade ago and Microsoft actually calls it prt+ it's fucking the same crap it doesn't increase memory mate.

The ssd on Xbox can't be used as ram that's a marketing lie all it has is a decompression block and api tricks to try and simulate what the ps5 does

there's a lot of hardware bottlenecks that you have to remove that the xbox still suffers from the ps5 has a lot of processors to do that plus fucking 12 channels, and we've seen this in games already the Xbox stutters/ drops frames or freezes as any other machine when streaming data in games like cyberpunk freezes, control drops fps, dirt 5 has texture streaming issues And even the medium the game that's using the ssd and velocity architecture bollocks has texture popin issues that digital foundry found out and none of this problems are seen on ps5. So no mate virtual texturing Ian to going to save xbox and the ssd on xbox isn't anything near to what ps5 Is doing.

We've seen unreal 5 render scenes with 100+ gb of 8k/polygons per pixel something impossible to do without having 100 gb of ram on ps5 infact epic had to remake the engine because of how impressive the ps5 was, we've seen ratchet switch worlds in 2 seconds, we've seen Spider-Man, demon souls, godfall, little big planet all load in a second on ps5 and none of this on Xbox. If the series x ssd was anything special we'd have already seen something and I'm sorry to say it isn't special your being deceived by marketing buzzwords.

What nonsense of an answer, feel free to believe what you want, you mix everything up, bring console wars + call MS system architects liars because they talk tech that is comparable to the competition.

It is like that I am talking to a wall. I am done replying to you.

What nonsense of an answer, feel free to believe what you want, you mix everything up, bring console wars + call MS system architects liars because they talk tech that is comparable to the competition.

It is like that I am talking to a wall. I am done replying to you.
I'm calling them liars because they haven't shown a single game that's doing what ps5 is doing. Control drops fps when streaming data, cyberpunk stutters/freezes when streaming, dirt 5 has texture popin issues, the medium has texture popin issues, halo infinite the game that's using all series x tech has texture popin issues... so the only one who's talking nonesense here isn't you and microsofts marketing team.

Riky

$MSFT
I'm calling them liars because they haven't shown a single game that's doing what ps5 is doing. Control drops fps when streaming data, cyberpunk stutters/freezes when streaming, dirt 5 has texture popin issues, the medium has texture popin issues, halo infinite the game that's using all series x tech has texture popin issues... so the only one who's talking nonesense here isn't you and microsofts marketing team.

Those games have the same "issues" on all platforms, but most tellingly the Halo Infinite demo was on PC of an unknown spec. You haven't seen it in Xbox so you're full of it.

Riky

$MSFT
Revealing the flagship game on a PC that gives lesser results than the XsX. Interesting theory, but I see your point, wacky Phil.

It's also a PC game you know, plus at that time it would be obvious Xbox development would be behind to anyone with sense.

Last edited:

huraga

Banned

About the bottlenecks in SX. I think you are saying this because you h ave a huge experience in system designs for main companies, like Amd, Nvidia, Microsoft or Sony, right?

Please, when somebody starts to talk about bottlenecks or deep technical things, at least be an expert. It´s tiring hear those kind of things from amateur guys from Neogaf/Twitter with no any experience designing GPU or CPU.

Can you imagine a medical fan arguing with doctors about how to perform surgery? It´s exactly the same

Those games have the same "issues" on all platforms, but most tellingly the Halo Infinite demo was on PC of an unknown spec. You haven't seen it in Xbox so you're full of it.
Those games have issues on all platforms except ps5, there's not a single game with data streaming issues on ps5 because of that ssd. I've seen enough on Xbox, what's happening now is just excuses it's the usual now halo infinite running on a pc isn't the new excuse.🤣🤣🤣 oh man if I had a dollar everytime Xbox fanboys and microsofts came up with an excuse I'd be a millionaires by now.

Last edited:
Revealing the flagship game on a PC that gives lesser results than the XsX. Interesting theory, but I see your point, wacky Phil.
It's obvious a stupid excuse made up to save series x from failure, because after all the marketing about sfs, vrs, 12 tflops and virtual ram ssd. People still noticed texture popin on arguably the biggest game on xbox, and Microsoft had to blame everything from covid 19 to "it was running on pc"!

As if running on pc helps anything, infact it's more ridiculous since you have Moreno horsepower on pc and it was actually running as best as it could.

huraga

Banned
It's exactly what virtual texturing has been doing for decades you get smudgy textures because of bandwidth constraints there's nothing new here it explains some the texture streaming issues on series x games.
What are you talking about? bandwidth issues with 560 GB/s?? Lol

About the bottlenecks in SX. I think you are saying this because you h ave a huge experience in system designs for main companies, like Amd, Nvidia, Microsoft or Sony, right?

Please, when somebody starts to talk about bottlenecks or deep technical things, at least be an expert. It´s tiring hear those kind of things from amateur guys from Neogaf/Twitter with no any experience designing GPU or CPU.

Can you imagine a medical fan arguing with doctors about how to perform surgery? It´s exactly the same
You don't need to be a nuclear scientist or an astronaut to know about the bottlenecks on series x, we've seen that's in games already again. Control drops fps when streaming, cyberpunk freezes/ stutters when streaming, dirt 5,the medium/ halo infinite both have texture popin. So I've seen enough examples that show an obvious bottleneck on series x ssd

And if those examples weren't enough, Marc cerny explained the bottlenecks quite clearly, it's not just about having high bandwidths there's a lot of hardware bottlenecks you have to remove the only hardware the series x has is a decompression block. None of the other io hardware that ps5 has.
iQV2Jk0.jpg
PsDy8uH.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom