• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: NBA 2K21 PS5 v Xbox Series X|S

Topher

Gold Member
"Curiously"

"Academic difference"

"Just use a different camera angle"

Ok, DF.

They don't seem to make these excuses when the PS version is the inferior one.

Well, they actually have. For example, they said the missing RT in reflections of puddles in Watch Dogs Legion was probably a bug. In this case, John is absolutely right. The camera angle with the frame drop isn't ideal to use either way. Not sure why it is wrong to point out.

Last edited:

demigod

I decided to go back and have a little look and this is just a snippet, there's tons of gold material to be had. People really bought into the teraflops marketing. Xbox either did it knowing or were completely caught off guard themselves after buying into it too much.

Bro is that all you can come up with? Come on man there’s probably over 100 quotes with the 12TF, stop slacking!

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Ah ok that *partially* justifies it but it still shows that the 1440p promise was just marketing.
I was puzzled by that claim. 1080 seemed obvious given the specs and 1440 is not a typical Tv setting so who ( who chose an S over an X) really cares when things are upscaled on a 4k screen?

Topher

Gold Member
The problem with entering a circle jerk is not knowing where to stand.
Ultimately, you end up in the middle and get caught in the crossfire of flying jizz from the wankers that were already in there.
That's what entering a next gen thread is like for neutrals around here these past few months.

giphy.gif

bender

What time is it?
The problem with entering a circle jerk is not knowing where to stand.
Ultimately, you end up in the middle and get caught in the crossfire of flying jizz from the wankers that were already in there.
That's what entering a next gen thread is like for neutrals around here these past few months.

Just like in college, don't cum late and you will not have to eat the bread. Tau Sigma Phi!

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
LOL What?! Are you fucking kidding me?

Did you see the state of this forum after Road to PS5 dropped? You could barely hold a decent conversation regarding any of the specs of both consoles without being trolled relentlessly by an Xbox fan.
There are many examples of people just trying to discuss specs (without any fanboy ism) and you'd have the thread thrown into disarray because some Xbox fans entered to remind you of the 12TF monster Xbox and how the PS5 is going to suffer against the power king.
This happened daily in multiple threads and was one of the reasons I took a short break from the forum.

So please, kindly STFU with that noise. There wouldn't be any gloating if it wasn't for the endless months of trolling from camp XBOX.

They can be retarded too, and it was also in response to more retardation.

Which you would understand, being one of the biggest on the forum.

It stops when people stop making stupid justifications, holding grudges, and when people stop thinking they’re at war, and realizing they’re running free PR for multi-billion dollar companies making near-identical toys for children and adults.

Someone has to knock it off. Or this circle continues forever, and nobody gets an intelligent word in edgewise.

It's not the fact PS5 is hitting vsync when Series X is struggling (so way more than actually 2 FPS difference if the framerate was unclocked), or that PS5 generally has higher details. It's the chickens coming home to roost that I enjoy the most.

You have gleefully participated when you, wrongly, called victory in COD with your fellow xbox fans. If you cannot take the heat, get out the kitchen.

There was no gleefulness. I don't mind objective analysis as we should compare. It's the over the top conclusions paired with the Cerny handjobbery that's annoying. You don't see me trying to caress Jason Ronald's beard every time XBOX performs better in something. It's just off-putting.

There was no gleefulness. I don't mind objective analysis as we should compare. It's the over the top conclusions paired with the Cerny handjobbery that's annoying. You don't see me trying to caress Jason Ronald's beard every time XBOX performs better in something. It's just off-putting.

You have to admit it was also annoying to see RDNA2 and 12TFs shoved in people's faces along with the FUD in almost every discussion.

Seems like many are just happy that the PS5 ended up being a good system. And Cerny did help design the system.

BigLee74

Last few pages are a true 'who's who' of forum wallopers. 😂 (Yes, you can include me in this).

Enjoy your basketball game, in all its 60fps in every camera mode glory!

It's just a false narrative for damage control, nothing more. Let's look at the facts here:
  • Before the first comparison, NO ONE even mentioned dev kits and APIs and GDK problems. Not even a single person or influencer. Not even MS.
  • Phil Spencer tweeted that he took home Series X and it's now his primary console. That was in Nov. 2019. So the devs must have dev kits before Nov. 2019.
  • GDK is not the problem. Dirt 5 developer confirmed that MS brought most of the features to GDK from XDK.
  • GDK also was available to developers as early as December 2019, according to documentation.
  • Directx 12 isn't the problem. Xbox has been using DX12 since 2015 now.
  • Waiting for RDNA2 features is a bogus claim. Sony took RDNA2 and customized it. MS took an off-the-shelf RDNA2 GPU. If any one was slowed down, it would've been Sony because of additional customizations and new tech like Boost Clocks and Smart Shift that XSX is missing.
  • "Developers are unfamiliar with RDNA2" is also a false claim. The exact same games are working 100% fine on AMD PC GPUs that also use RDNA2.
The only problem is that GDK doesn't allow low-level optimization, and this cannot be remedied because of MS's unification policy across Xbox and PC. This will continue to be a problem for developers.

Ok Mr insider. I guess you know everything already. Lol

Last edited:

Just the fact you know who this person is (and 99.99999999% of people on GAF have no idea who you're talking about) shows this whole post is pure projection.

It's only off putting when the 'handjobbery' is not directed to your platform of choice.

Jasoncaves

Neo Member
Iv been on this site since around 2007. I can’t get my old username cause back then neogaf required not having a public email to be able to post. In any case, I have seen allot of changes to gaf through the years. I stumble every now and then here and can’t help but feel disappointed. The console war arguments never seem to end. While I think DF does great work in terms of testing the quality of a product and this helps keep the dev teams in check , this is all great but comes at a cost. The cost is that it creates more division and elitism in which console is better. Like seriously, overall youre gonna have a very similar experience no matter which version you buy. The ps5 atm , games tend to run better. And we know this cause sites like DF point them out. But the ones that are being pointed out are so insignificant, it almost doesn’t really matter. The AVERAGE gamer isn’t nitpicking these little frame drop details. Can’t we just all agree the game looks and plays great no matter which next gen console you have? The ps5 is awesome in design along with the UI. It will have awesome games in the future. So does series x. It’s powerful, practical in design. And then there’s the series s. Think about it. Can you build a pc that can rival the series s for under $250? No way. I say $250
Cause that’s not including how much a series s/x controller is around. Also it’s so small and quiet and has seen almost zero issues in hardware when compared to ps5 and series x. My point is, I’m kinda stunned we still argue about this sorta stuff. I remember the wars and permabans. Fighting over Xbox 360 vs ps3. At the end who cares? You both played awesome games. I’m not naive and sure I’d prefer to play the best looking version of a game ideally. But overall we are having basically the same experience playing MOST of these 3rd party games. Some versions might be missing extra shadowing , some might have a drop in frames and frankly the series s will dip to 720p in some games during some parts. Even with that said, we are all getting a very similar experience and who cares which console you get. This isn’t the old console wars days of old. Let’s appreciate games and appreciate the next gen consoles. They are all great.

Last edited:
Just the fact you know who this person is (and 99.99999999% of people on GAF have no idea who you're talking about) shows this whole post is pure projection.

It's only off putting when the 'handjobbery' is not directed to your platform of choice.

The guy was in like 3 WE presentations. I know Mark Cerny too...I just don't worship

-Arcadia-

Banned
It’s ironic to me that this is used for console warring

fJH4zUl.gif

...when you can how much genuineness, pride, and excitement is coming from him.

He‘s not being negative, or deprecative, or starting fights. He just makes awesome things, and is happy about them.

Something we could all learn from.

Raonak

Banned
If you don't like the console wars, then stop coming into these comparison threads.

We're all trying to have some harmless fun, and you "no fun allowed" guys are just shitting up this thread with your whining.

On topic: so can we officially call the PS5 the most powerful console yet? 🤣

Mr Moose

excuse ? what are you even talking about ..this is pure and tangible value for the consumers of one console over the competition. the generation has been started for less than 1 month .. there are more than 23 studios out there ready to fill gamepasses with exclusives. is a long run
a single frame advantage (rare) at the same price without gamepass ..incredible !
9109_Sad_Cat_Thumbs_Up.png

thelastword

Banned
Unless the PS5 runs even 1 frame faster then it's proof of the PS5 superiority. No matter which ways it goes its a loss for MS.
You realize 1-2% higher framerate average is not 1 frame faster....

Also, John Linneman's, nobody is going to use this camera is so condescending and apologetic....Why can't he just state the differences in performance and leave it there. NO, he has to make an excuse for XBOX, no one use the parametric camera. WRONG. More people use the parametric camera than people who use VRR, but he is championing that at every turn.....

For a guy who declares he does not play sports games, he is now an expert on what camera people play with and which ones they don't use, they are just too transparent....Like every sports game, there are multiple cameras, they are there for a reason and used by many people at different times, they would not be there if they had no utility......Soon John will tell me no one changes the camera in FIFA or every body plays the game on default field selection, who goes into the menu's anyway....For a tech guy he sure hates, detailed menu settings and tinkering, no eye for detail.....No wonder it was too much work for him to go into the menu of a PS4 PRO and change the video settings to 1080p for many games, to get 60fps locked or better performance, something I heard he liked at some point in time....

As for the parametric camera, it just shows just how more performant PS5 is and how superior the PS5 GPU and overall system is......In parametric view, a larger crowd is being rendered with a larger distance in view. PS5 never drops frames there, it's similar to how PS5 can render grass way into the distance and has even displayed higher foliage propagation even over PC in Valhalla......I remember telling folk about how better PS5 would be at that prior to launch, but here it is for all to see...

MonarchJT

Banned
You realize 1-2% higher framerate average is not 1 frame faster....

Also, John Linneman's, nobody is going to use this camera is so condescending and apologetic....Why can't he just state the differences in performance and leave it there. NO, he has to make an excuse for XBOX, no one use the parametric camera. WRONG. More people use the parametric camera than people who use VRR, but he is championing that at every turn.....

For a guy who declares he does not play sports games, he is now an expert on what camera people play with and which ones they don't use, they are just too transparent....Like every sports game, there are multiple cameras, they are there for a reason and used by many people at different times, they would not be there if they had no utility......Soon John will tell me no one changes the camera in FIFA or every body plays the game on default field selection, who goes into the menu's anyway....For a tech guy he sure hates, detailed menu settings and tinkering, no eye for detail.....No wonder it was too much work for him to go into the menu of a PS4 PRO and change the video settings to 1080p for many games, to get 60fps locked or better performance, something I heard he liked at some point in time....

As for the parametric camera, it just shows just how more performant PS5 is and how superior the PS5 GPU and overall system is......In parametric view, a larger crowd is being rendered with a larger distance in view. PS5 never drops frames there, it's similar to how PS5 can render grass way into the distance and has even displayed higher foliage propagation even over PC in Valhalla......I remember telling folk about how better PS5 would be at that prior to launch, but here it is for all to see...
last part is pure fanfiction lol

It's almost as if Sony is taking a jab at Microsoft. I'm sure this song was composed way before the power narrative was an issue. But it almost seems like they intended to surprise us with the power of the console.

I don't think it's a jab at Microsoft. But it certainly seems that way after all that happened.

I honestly believe that they intended to surprise us by showing us games on the system. I don't think they thought they would beat the XSX in some of the comparisons.

assurdum

Banned
30FPS cutscenes in 60FPS games should be abolished.
Can't disagree more. 60 FPS in cutscene are pointless and a waste of resources. Look the mess in AC Valhalla or DMC5 SE. They would be infinitely better with 30 fps locked. But of course if steady 60 FPS are in, you are right.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
All MS 1st party are shit except Forza, that's the point.
Different tastes. Clearly you woukd love if Sony put their 1st party on PS Now day and date. So supporting Game Pass might actually make that a reality some day. You are arguing against your own best interests.

Greggy

REVISED-PS-Now.jpg

These are 3 out of 900+ games on PS Now, show me the amazing games on GP. Don't put Control as it's been for months on PS Now already.
Nobody serious about gaming compares PSNow to Game Pass.
You wanna say Sony has better 1st party games, I couldn’t agree more. But they’re not on psnow. Just in the last 2 weeks Dragon Quest 11, Doom Eternal Control, Jedi Fallen, Gears Tactics, Order Tetris effect connected and so on. Next week Greedfall and Call of the Sea. What are you on?

Zadom

Nobody serious about gaming compares PSNow to Game Pass.
You wanna say Sony has better 1st party games, I couldn’t agree more. But they’re not on psnow. Just in the last 2 weeks Dragon Quest 11, Doom Eternal Control, Jedi Fallen, Gears Tactics, Order Tetris effect connected and so on. Next week Greedfall and Call of the Sea. What are you on?
I am not that familiar with games pass but PSNow I feel is under estimated. By the way, Greedfall been on PSNow since August.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Can't disagree more. 60 FPS in cutscene are pointless and a waste of resources. Look the mess in AC Valhalla or DMC5 SE. They would be infinitely better with 30 fps locked. But of course if steady 60 FPS are in, you are right.

It’s jarring to me when it switches. But yes, locked, not UbiMagic. ;)

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Isn't psnow just cloud gaming? If so that's not the same thing at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom