• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: NBA 2K21 PS5 v Xbox Series X|S

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It was a majority but not crazy rare to find a digital. Go look at scalper photos, they have plenty of digital stacked.

That proves nothing in the big picture, just that thier bots got a few. Sony was so desperate to make it seem like they actually had some for sale they put disk versions in digital boxes.

THE DUCK

But neither are available, that shit is sold out. It starts at $399, you yourself said you have the one that costs $399.

So if 99 out of 100 people on this board have a disk version, and paid $499, your still going to stick with "the ps5 is cheaper" garbage?

Unknown?

That proves nothing in the big picture, just that thier bots got a few. Sony was so desperate to make it seem like they actually had some for sale they put disk versions in digital boxes.
Big picture means very little if they have satisfied demand though. Clearly they didn't on either but I'm sure they had access to data that suggests more people were willing to pay more for the disc version. So obviously they aren't going to equally produce both units.

THE DUCK

The cheapest model is $399. More will be available, unless you think they'll suddenly stop making them right after launch?
If you have sales figures, please share.

All I have is the numbers from best buy canada, the day of launch, I can't remember exactly what was stated but it was something silly like 10,000 to 200. Also, anecdotally, people all over were saying "unable to get the digital", was sold out in seconds. In addition, shoppers drug mart here in Canada wasn't allocated any digital units at all. In addition, most people on this board have stated they either wanted the disk version and bought that, or had to due to the digital being sold out instantly.

THE DUCK

Big picture means very little if they have satisfied demand though. Clearly they didn't on either but I'm sure they had access to data that suggests more people were willing to pay more for the disc version. So obviously they aren't going to equally produce both units.

Digital game sales are at 60%, they could have easily built half and half, but were not motivated as it meant losing more money. They built as few as possible while just enought to not look like $399 was bait and switch.

Florin4k4

Not by the measure thats being made here - as if its ps5 operating at 125% performance of the series X. They are within 1% of each other so far, on average. Do you call a 300 horsepower mustang "more powerfull" than a 299 horsepower mustang? Or a flagship phone from Apple vs a flagship phone from Android, eventually running everything at the same speed, "more powerfull" even if one happens to run Pokémon at 2 frames faster? No, everyone with a brain calls it a wash, a tie, a close battle, etc.

it’s more like a 1030hp car is pulling the same quarter mile times (or lap times) as a 1200hp car and most times slightly beating it when the owner of the 1200 car said it would be king of the track. And then we hear it’s not winning because it’s waiting for slick tires

KAL2006

Banned
Another win for PS5. But don't worry the Series X tools are still maturing, Series X will be more powerful like everyone expected originally, just have to wait. The people who bought Series X for better looking multiplatform games just need to hold tight.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: KO7

KAL2006

Banned
I wonder if those deeming the xbox a "massive flop" for having 4 less frames in a few games are a few seconds would have deemed the PS5 a massive Flop if it was the other way around.

I don't think so. As the expectations before both systems were released was Series X would be considerably more powerful than PS5. Similar to PS4 Vs Xbox One scenario except this time Series X would be the winner in the power race. Even if Series X was only slightly better or the same that would be a dissapointment for Series X, but the fact that PS5 is winning more comparisons is shocking. People expected PS5 to be weaker but make up for it with faster SSD, haptics, tension triggers and better exclusives. So many posts on forums was people stating they get the Series X for the better running multiplatform games as it was basically a expectation, even Microsoft marketing had so much focus on power. The fact now Series X doesn't have one of the key selling points against PS5 is dissapoiting, so not only does it have the worse controller, slower SSD, worse exclusives but now not even the most powerful. The only thing it has is Gamepass and not every gamer is into the Gamepass model.

Last edited:
Another win for PS5. But don't worry the Series X tools are still maturing, Series X will be more powerful like everyone expected originally, just have to wait. The people who bought Series X for better looking multiplatform games just need to hold tight.

Lol u clearly have no idea how any of this works, its highly unlikely there will be big uplift due to tools, things will improve but so will ps5. Xbx is just bottlenecked by gpu clocks not being fast enough, and poor ram setup etc. If will very hard for devs too find extra performance. Best we can hope for is parity with ps5 going forward.

Skifi28

Seems like the more identical the ports, the more pages these threads have. And I thought it'd be a boring gen as far as VS threads go. How naive of me.

Spokker

Seems like the more identical the ports, the more pages these threads have. And I thought it'd be a boring gen as far as VS threads go. How naive of me.
If a game is locked 60 on PS5 but has drops on Series X, it means we don't know how much headroom the PS5 has. The difference could be wider than at first glance. This has consequences for future next-gen releases as the games get more complex. Then that headroom becomes relevant.

Last edited:
Lets pretend like xbox does not used most powerful console in the world and xboxers did not dance claiming that they destroy PS5. Lets pretend like listen to xboxers FUD everyday did not happened. What a nice life to pretend and ignore those toxic yhings and later act as a victim.

Tbh I did se those post and those numbers were few far and in between. No where near on the scale Sony fans are putting it out. I personally did not partake in any of that.....

Still.... Ive seen a lot of comments on gaf similar to the 'Xbox is a massive Flop comment' and these seem to be genuine comment. So I'd still like to know..... If it was the other way around.... And the PS5 had a few frames less..... Would it also be deemed a massive Flop?

I don't think so. As the expectations before both systems were released was Series X would be considerably more powerful than PS5. Similar to PS4 Vs Xbox One scenario except this time Series X would be the winner in the power race. Even if Series X was only slightly better or the same that would be a dissapointment for Series X, but the fact that PS5 is winning more comparisons is shocking. People expected PS5 to be weaker but make up for it with faster SSD, haptics, tension triggers and better exclusives. So many posts on forums was people stating they get the Series X for the better running multiplatform games as it was basically a expectation, even Microsoft marketing had so much focus on power. The fact now Series X doesn't have one of the key selling points against PS5 is dissapoiting, so not only does it have the worse controller, slower SSD, worse exclusives but now not even the most powerful. The only thing it has is Gamepass and not every gamer is into the Gamepass model.

I didnt partake in those stupid comments, but it is a tad bit disappointing. Nevertheless it's still only a few drops here and there and tbh I probably won't even notice it. What made me jump over to xbox was gamepass and it is great.

What I find childish are these "Omg its a massive Flop hahahaha its awful" comments. I tad over dramatic for 4 frame drops. Where was that same energy on PS3.

I expected GAF to be a gaming forum but for the most part it seems to be a Sony third party forum.

KAL2006

Banned
I didnt partake in those stupid comments, but it is a tad bit disappointing. Nevertheless it's still only a few drops here and there and tbh I probably won't even notice it. What made me jump over to xbox was gamepass and it is great.

What I find childish are these "Omg its a massive Flop hahahaha its awful" comments. I tad over dramatic for 4 frame drops. Where was that same energy on PS3.

I expected GAF to be a gaming forum but for the most part it seems to be a Sony third party forum.

No doubt the energy was there for PS3. That's why Sony lost so much marketshare to Xbox that gen. Remember Giant enemy crabs, remember Ridge Racer, Final Fantasy betayal, Bayonetta PS3 port the list goes on. Sony were getting roasted back then. Same way Xbox One got roasted when that launched and now Series X. Take a trip back memory lane and have a look at that road to PS5 thread where Cerny announces 10TF. Then after that people just expected haptics + faster SSD + more exclusives Vs more powerful multiplatforrm games and Gamepass. There were so many people that stated they will pick up a Series X simply due to the assumption it will run the better performing games for a console but now that's not the case. So it's not surprising people are shocked, I can't believe it's something you are not getting where were you for the lead up to these consoles.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Did he really "out engineer" ms? Both teams had a fixed budget (give or take) and probably a goal of $499 launch price. (Or maybe $599)
Both put together a 4k capable machine with a next gen ssd and ray tracing. One took a brute force method, the other after bandwidth. Both achieve, at least so far, what appears to be parity. Both probably cost around the same to build.

I think the only reason this is being said now was the early narrative of the x being more powerfull. Let's pretend the TF rating didn't exist, would we still be saying that Cerny is a genius if he built a machine that equals ms?
The fact that Sony also got their "$399" moment again, along with the regular sku thats considered weaker than Series X but looking better in face offs....I say they did.

Phil: we won't be out of position on price or power...

Sony with the surprise DE: hold my beer.

I remember when some were gloating about the PS5 being in between the S and X, before the official specs were revealed. That it is because of the DE, the DE was a genius move.

Stock availability doesn't change this. Once things settle down, the $399 narrative will ramp up.

At the end of the day, they just had different goals. If one of MS goals was to make xCloud better, so be it. Alot of ppl just underestimated Cerny and the PS5.

One thing's for sure....PS5 is a beast.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
The fact that Sony also got their "$399" moment again, along with the regular sku thats considered weaker than Series X but looking better in face offs....I say they did.

Phil: we won't be out of position on price or power...

Sony with the surprise DE: hold my beer.

I remember when some were gloating about the PS5 being in between the S and X, before the official specs were revealed. That it is because of the DE, the DE was a genius move.

Stock availability doesn't change this. Once things settle down, the $399 narrative will ramp up.

At the end of the day, they just had different goals. If one of MS goals was to make xCloud better, so be it. Alot of ppl just underestimated Cerny and the PS5.

One thing's for sure....PS5 is a beast.

Wow just remembered that quote from Phil

We won't be outdond by price or power

The irony is they kind of have in some ways

Price
Yes technicaly Series S is cheaper, but the value proposition of PS5 Digital is way better bang for your buck. To top it off you also get a free pack in game Astrobot as well as Plus collection without the need of getting PS Now. For a extra $100 your getting a much more powerful console, haptics, adaptable triggers, larger SSD than Series S. The $399 moment for Sony really caught Microsoft with there pants down that's for sure.

Power
Well alot of these comparisons it seems Microsoft isn't the clear power winner.

It seems Microsoft were more aggressive with their marketing which makes them look worse. Then the lack of any exclusives in the first 2 years of Series X console and Halo delay was the cherry on top. What a awful console launch for Microsoft. But atleast it's not as bad as Xbox One.

4ZhUk09.png
5gZOmzU.png

Curry looks more realistic on Xbox. MJ looks like a plastic action figure on both. DF not critiqueing the ps5 version because they’re scared of sonygaf.
Ahh... So I guess the Xbox checks stopped coming in, now it's Playstation checks. The mental gymnastics, gold medal worthy. Now all of a sudden DF is no longer the place to go for detailed comparisons. BTW I think they both look the exact same. You're letting ppl get under your skin about a couple dropped frames, who cares? unless the power thing was something you really were invested in.

Edit: Could the person who grabbed those screenshots picked ones that were any worse? If you actually looked at that and believe that either capture was representative of what they actually look like on the consoles, you might be a crazy ass fanboy. Look at those damn textures on either of them? blurry as shit, what's that 720p? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
You and I know very well that the mere fact they're identical is always a win for Sony, since the PS5 was always deemed the weaker console with less power and CPU and RAM speed. Let alone PS5 having the upper hand by a frame or 2.

We all should be expecting SX beating PS5 every time by a good margin, which isn't happening.
You will not see in these launch games as these are not using any RDNA2 featur set - Sampler feedback and variable mesh shaders can create lot of over head for better frame rate.

And Power differences between both are not same like One X and Pro. So even difference will be not massive and 3rd party devs go for parity mostly.

Ultimately it will come down to which console got better games. MS must deliver in 1st party department with their new studios coz third party devs will go for parity.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
You will not see in these launch games as these are not using any RDNA2 featur set - Sampler feedback and variable mesh shaders can create lot of over head for better frame rate.

And games aren't using the Geometry Engine, PS5's SSD & I/O pipeline, cache scrubbers, and Oodle Textures right now.

This really doesn't mean anything. Who cares if the dev uses a certain feature or not. We don't even know if any of its true or not. None of us sitting besides the developers when they were making these games.

Only the end result matters, i.e., PS5 is outperforming XSX.

CobraXT

Banned
Its laughable when people believe PS5 is performing better because of the SSD and I/O
the PS5 is not pushing above its weight since the RX 5700XT '' a 9.7 Teraflop GPU'' is
outperforming the PS5 on Godfall right now if anyone didnt notice

Last edited:
How will a BC game be the real benchmark?
You can say that about all these games that has been tested than since thair all BC games design for base PS4 and base Xbox One we won't see truly next gen only games for at least 2 more years so if you want to put it like that than we all should wait for truly next gen only games to do test than.

And games aren't using the Geometry Engine, PS5's SSD & I/O pipeline, cache scrubbers, and Oodle Textures right now.

This really doesn't mean anything. Who cares if the dev uses a certain feature or not. We don't even know if any of its true or not. None of us sitting besides the developers when they were making these games.

Only the end result matters, i.e., PS5 is outperforming XSX.
They not. These launch games are not using features set of these consoles. But PS5 dev kits were available to devs last year and SX around July/August based on reports from various reliable insiders and Phill also confirmed it that they were behind in production.
So devs are more familiar with PS5 dev kits and i guess its also easier to use than new GDK of Xbox which has multiple console profiles.

But average consumer will not care about all of this and they will think SX not what they thought and specs are lie. Its upto MS to fix it by next year by working with devs and showing some stunning looking first party games like Hellblade 2.

PS3 was more powerful than 360 and still 360 was outperforming it but ultimately games started to look identical and Sony also showcased the power of PS3 with their first party games. MS must do same and they have studios to do it and end this narrative.

Last edited:

Yoboman

You can say that about all these games that has been tested than since thair all BC games design for base PS4 and base Xbox One we won't see truly next gen only games for at least 2 more years so if you want to put it like that than we all should wait for truly next gen only games to do test than.
No, Cyberpunk is literally a BC game. It will be using the BC capabilities of the consoles at launch. Next gen versions will come next year

This screenshot got people freaking out over on Reeeee. I never thought in a technical thread that a screenshot showing an average 4 FPS difference would get people so defensive
Honestly it's not a big deal .its only made out to be a big deal due to ms talking about power and throwing shit at ps5 with things like only full rdna2 , sustained performance, vrs machine bla bla bla .

when the time came to show all that power the fell flat on their faces .

Thats how a wrong marketing makes the product situation worse than it needs to be

Md Ray

And Power differences between both are not same like One X and Pro. So even difference will be not massive and 3rd party devs go for parity mostly.

Ultimately it will come down to which console got better games. MS must deliver in 1st party department with their new studios coz third party devs will go for parity.
Lol stopped reading at "variable mesh shaders". You people just repeat buzzwords you heard, that too incorrectly, and don't have a clue what it means or what it does.

Top Bottom