• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: NBA 2K21 PS5 v Xbox Series X|S

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
But your opinion hasnt changed. 🤷‍♂️

Sure it has, before the ps5 launched i was skeptical it could reach where it needed to be hardware wise. On paper, to me, it looked far inferior where it matter most. But now I see the rubber hits the road well.

In fact, I'm not done evaluating both consoles, but I dare say I've had more fun with the ps5 so far, which is a big surprise to me.

Last edited:

Larlight

Well, this is a proper next gen title too. No cross gen excuse is to be had here. Looks like the PS5 is the real BEAST console here. Maybe people should have listened to the devs around the industry who kept complimenting the PS5 rather than the company who is just trying to sell you their box.

bender

What time is it?
Sure it has, before the ps5 launched i was skeptical it could reach where it needed to be hardware wise. On paper, to me, it looked far inferior where it matter most. But now I see the rubber hits the road well.

In fact, I'm not done evaluating both consoles, but I dare say I've had more fun with the ps5 so far, which is a big surprise to me.

JackMcGunns

yer he's not wrong if your naive and oblivious to what he is trying to do there.

Is it a safe comment? Yes, but you're confused if you think it has anything to do with performance, he made this comment back when Sony announced those games and they would probably be assumed to be exclusive, but Aaron sneakily Tweeted that to say those amazing games that you just saw in the PlayStation games reveal, will also be on Xbox Series X.

I wonder if those deeming the xbox a "massive flop" for having 4 less frames in a few games are a few seconds would have deemed the PS5 a massive Flop if it was the other way around.

sircaw

Banned
Is it a safe comment? Yes, but you're confused if you think it has anything to do with performance, he made this comment back when Sony announced those games and they would probably be assumed to be exclusive, but Aaron sneakily Tweeted that to say those amazing games that you just saw in the PlayStation games reveal, will also be on Xbox Series X.

What, what a load of rubbish, he is adding play on the worlds most powerful console for a reason, he is indirectly and purposely implying sxbox will be the superior version.

come on dude you can't be that blind.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned
I wonder if those deeming the xbox a "massive flop" for having 4 less frames in a few games are a few seconds would have deemed the PS5 a massive Flop if it was the other way around.
Lets pretend like xbox does not used most powerful console in the world and xboxers did not dance claiming that they destroy PS5. Lets pretend like listen to xboxers FUD everyday did not happened. What a nice life to pretend and ignore those toxic yhings and later act as a victim.

Leyasu

Banned
RT effects for one, using RT hardware, obviously. Improve visuals effects, rendering features, LOD, and other optimizations for next-gen games using primitive shaders on PS5. UE5 demo used PS5's primitive shaders for nanite, the micro-polygon renderer, the tech that's responsible for immense geometric detail with no LOD 'popping'.
I thought that ray tracing was a resource hog and would automatically lead to lowering the res.

JackMcGunns

What, what a load of rubbish, he is adding play on the worlds most powerful console for a reason, he is indirectly and purposely implying sxbox will be the superior version.

Chill bro, I saw the tweet the day the games were announced, didn't you? Xbox had nothing to show yet at the games shown were cool, so the tweet made sense at the time. No one was even thinking about power and in fact a lot of users were disappointed with the so called "next gen" visuals, this was up until Unreal Engine 5 was revealed and that changed everything.

If you're a guard or perimeter-oriented wing player, you don't. However, forwards or centers with strong post games can benefit from it, as it gives you a better angle for gaining good post position on both offense and defense. Perticularly for myCareer, where you are controlling a single player all game.

TBH, the sideline cam from the floor level is the single most-useless camera in the game, yet it's the one featured in most videos, including this one. Parametric and sky (nosebleed seats) are the 2 best camere angles, depending on your style of play. I prefer to play a stretch-4, so I generally stick with the high camera. I like to chuck 3s, and postups are situational. You're not leading the league in scoring with an inside-the-arc game only.

I think parametric also works well for street ball, as you don't need to see as much of the halfcourt, but I never play that mode. I will in this game though, as they have vastly expanded that mode.

Sure.

Drop is not that big to affect gameplay significantly. 2-3 drops not noticeable.

Im playing Valhalla on Gtx 3080 and frame rate drops in certain areas but its hardly noticeable for me.

Now you will say 3080 is weak? Lol

sircaw

Banned
Chill bro, I saw the tweet the day the games were announced, didn't you? Xbox had nothing to show yet at the games shown were cool, so the tweet made sense at the time. No one was even thinking about power and in fact a lot of users were disappointed with the so called "next gen" visuals, this was up until Unreal Engine 5 was revealed and that changed everything.

The world's most power full console is Microsoft spin, they did it last gen with that 6tflop one, they know exactly what they are doing, i am sorry you can't see through their bullshit, i can, if you can't so be it. each to their own.

JackMcGunns

^^^Weird thing happened there with the post lol

Chill bro, I saw the tweet the day the games were announced, didn't you? Xbox had nothing to show yet all the games shown were cool, so the tweet made sense at the time. No one was even thinking about power and in fact a lot of users were disappointed with the so called "next gen" visuals, this was up until Unreal Engine 5 was revealed and that changed everything. Not trying to revise history, that's just how I remember it.

I can totally see what you mean, but based on the timeline when that tweet was sent, the main objective was to point out those cool games were also coming to Xbox Series. Setting up the rhetoric that it would be superior on Xbox is icing from a marketing standpoint.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not. I think people generally don't respond well to arrogance on either side. Microsoft claiming "most powerful console ever" and then repeatedly showing up trailing in comparisons just invites the criticism.

Realistically, though, I don't think anyone should be disappointed in their purchase with what we've seen so far. The differences are overall miniscule, and both consoles are incredible performers.

WTF going on here... In video guy said they identical, so why ps fanboys going cazy? 🤣

Parametric viewpoint camera angle drop is a bug i suppose and will get patched in. Also who plays game in that camera angle? lol
Its not a bug . It can't handle all the spectators on the screen at the same time .sorry 😌
dV1vGJp.jpg

Last edited:

Not really because the PS5 was always supposed to be behind the XSX. If it's anywhere close that's a very good thing for the system that was said to be underpowered. If it was a 50% delta though that would have been a disaster for the PS5.

THE DUCK

So, does that also mean the cheapest place to play next gen isnt Series S?

Since the stock split is about similar?

That depends on how you define next gen, we've never had a partial upgrade like series s before.
Its odd in that it has a lot of the same next gen defining tech in it, but is still less powerfull.

The stock split however is not similar, it appears ms has as many series s as series x, where as ps5 digital to disk appears to be 100 to 1.

THE DUCK

That doesn’t change the fact that the PS5 starts at $399 and both consoles aren’t the same price. It’s okay to admit you made a mistake.

Yes it is. But saying it starts at $399 and having none available means it really starts at $499.
So really, you are comparing 499 to 499.
Go ahead, take poll on this forum of the people here how many have a digital vs a disk version.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
WTF going on here... In video guy said they identical, so why ps fanboys going cazy? 🤣

Parametric viewpoint camera angle drop is a bug i suppose and will get patched in. Also who plays game in that camera angle? lol

They never called it a bug.

THE DUCK

The generation just started, there will be plenty of 399$ PS5s next year.

So what, next year xbox could easily be $399 in a disk less version (or even the disk version), we are talking about now. Right now, 99% of the time, the consoles are the same price. The performance yardstick is the same.

TLZ

Banned
Series S with 4 RDNA 2 flops and a Zen 2 CPU is less performant than a PS4 Pro which is something like 4 GCN flops and sports a shitty Jaguar CPU.

Either the tools argument really does hold merit or the split memory setup + extremely gimped memory bandwidth is a huge bottleneck. I know the GPU+CPU combo certainly isn't the issue here.
The visual downgrades on Pro surely make a difference.

THE DUCK

The console outputting the more performant games every time is not more powerful

Ok. 🧠

Not by the measure thats being made here - as if its ps5 operating at 125% performance of the series X. They are within 1% of each other so far, on average. Do you call a 300 horsepower mustang "more powerfull" than a 299 horsepower mustang? Or a flagship phone from Apple vs a flagship phone from Android, eventually running everything at the same speed, "more powerfull" even if one happens to run Pokémon at 2 frames faster? No, everyone with a brain calls it a wash, a tie, a close battle, etc.

TLZ

Banned
You and I know very well that the mere fact they're identical is always a win for Sony, since the PS5 was always deemed the weaker console with less power and CPU and RAM speed. Let alone PS5 having the upper hand by a frame or 2.

We all should be expecting SX beating PS5 every time by a good margin, which isn't happening.

onQ123

Not by the measure thats being made here - as if its ps5 operating at 125% performance of the series X. They are within 1% of each other so far, on average. Do you call a 300 horsepower mustang "more powerfull" than a 299 horsepower mustang? Or a flagship phone from Apple vs a flagship phone from Android, eventually running everything at the same speed, "more powerfull" even if one happens to run Pokémon at 2 frames faster? No, everyone with a brain calls it a wash, a tie, a close battle, etc.

It's not A 1% stop it lol

THE DUCK

Sony is a huge multi-billion company that's been around for like 100 years. They are no slouch.

Did he really "out engineer" ms? Both teams had a fixed budget (give or take) and probably a goal of $499 launch price. (Or maybe $599)
Both put together a 4k capable machine with a next gen ssd and ray tracing. One took a brute force method, the other after bandwidth. Both achieve, at least so far, what appears to be parity. Both probably cost around the same to build.

I think the only reason this is being said now was the early narrative of the x being more powerfull. Let's pretend the TF rating didn't exist, would we still be saying that Cerny is a genius if he built a machine that equals ms?

Unknown?

Yes it is. But saying it starts at $399 and having none available means it really starts at $499.
So really, you are comparing 499 to 499.
Go ahead, take poll on this forum of the people here how many have a digital vs a disk version.
Well technically you could say it starts at $900 with that logic because outside of scalpers there are none readily available.

They never called it a bug.

Its not a bug as it is consistent unlike ps5 cod where drops would not occur if u just reload the checkpoint.
That depends on how you define next gen, we've never had a partial upgrade like series s before.
Its odd in that it has a lot of the same next gen defining tech in it, but is still less powerfull.

The stock split however is not similar, it appears ms has as many series s as series x, where as ps5 digital to disk appears to be 100 to 1.

Tales out of ur ass, what happened to phill saying they would not be out of place on price or performance,
seems like they are behind on both lol

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Well technically you could say it starts at $900 with that logic because outside of scalpers there are none readily available.

Of the ones that were made available for sale, the vast majority were sold by vendors and sony at $499.

Spokker

Then:

The Xbox Series X will be the ultimate console for players who want the most immersive games from a device designed, built and optimized for gaming with zero compromises.

Developers have come up with creative solutions, such as dynamic resolution scaling, to maintain high image quality while not compromising on frame rate, but this is often done to work around the limitations and constraints of current generation hardware. That’s all about to change with Xbox Series X.

Now: "Hahaha 1 fps drop at one angle just shut up and enjoy the games"

ignores every other game that compromises something on Xbox Series X, including the first-party Forza Horizon 4 which lacks graphical features the Xbox One X has

Last edited:

THE DUCK

It's not A 1% stop it lol

A game running at 60fps second 99.5% of the time vs one that runs at 60fps 100% of the time isn't 1% (or less?) Perhaps you should actually watch the comparison videos and realize the parts that drop the frames are the exception, not the rule.

Top Bottom