• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: NBA 2K21 PS5 v Xbox Series X|S

v_iHuGi

Banned

Performance is also mostly identical: all versions use a mixed frame-rate - gameplay operates at 60fps while replays and interstitial scenes update at 30 frames per second. At these limits, the PlayStation 5 and Series S versions essentially operate flawlessly, while curiously Xbox Series X occasionally has single frame drops. It's all pretty cut and dried, except for one exception: the parametric camera option runs locked at 60fps on PlayStation 5, but does drop frames on Series consoles. Thankfully, this is easily avoided by using other camera angles (and the parametric viewpoint isn't actually that great for gameplay). It's really just an academic difference, but it is there, and PS5 does ultimately have the edge here.

PS5 & Series X 4k native.
Series S 1080p native.
PS4 Pro native 4k with visual downgrades.
Same visual fidelity between PS5 and Series S|X.
Gameplay 60fps / Cutscenes 30fps.
PS5 flawless 60fps.
Series S flawless 60fps except for the parametric camera option where there is bigger dips.
Seires X has single frame drops plus bigger dips in parametric camera option.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDude108

OyUDmPd.gif

Elios83

Summary:

While there's even more about NBA 2K21 to discover, I feel this is a good primer on what you can expect from the new version of the game, but I guess the remaining question here comes down to how this title is delivered on all of the next-gen systems. Well, the good news is that they're virtually identical visually. PS5 and Series X both offer a full native 4K presentation - it looks super sharp on both systems and all visuals appear the same between them. The PS4 Pro version which I used for last-gen testing, by the way, also seems to run at native 4K but obviously with reduced visual fidelity. The one difference here, predictably, lies with the Series S version. This one runs at a native 1080p instead. You get all the same next-gen visuals as its bigger brother, just at a lower resolution.

Performance is also mostly identical: all versions use a mixed frame-rate - gameplay operates at 60fps while replays and interstitial scenes update at 30 frames per second. At these limits, the PlayStation 5 and Series S versions essentially operate flawlessly, while curiously Xbox Series X occasionally has single frame drops. It's all pretty cut and dried, except for one exception: the parametric camera option runs locked at 60fps on PlayStation 5, but does drop frames on Series consoles. Thankfully, this is easily avoided by using other camera angles (and the parametric viewpoint isn't actually that great for gameplay). It's really just an academic difference, but it is there.

PS4 Pro at native 4K and Series S at native 1080p....

ethomaz

Banned
PS5 & Series X 4k native.
Series S 1080p native.
PS4 Pro native 4k with visual downgrades.
Same visual fidelity between PS5 and Series S|X.
Gameplay 60fps / Cutscenes 30fps.
PS5 flawless 60fps.
Series S flawless 60fps except for the parametric camera option where there is bigger dips.
Seires X has single frame drops plus bigger dips in parametric camera option.

OyUDmPd.gif

Last edited:

Kholinar

Banned
Series S with 4 RDNA 2 flops and a Zen 2 CPU is less performant than a PS4 Pro which is something like 4 GCN flops and sports a shitty Jaguar CPU.

Either the tools argument really does hold merit or the split memory setup + extremely gimped memory bandwidth is a huge bottleneck. I know the GPU+CPU combo certainly isn't the issue here.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
PS4 Pro at native 4K and Series S at native 1080p....
Series S with 4 RDNA 2 flops and a Zen 2 CPU is less performant than a PS4 Pro which is something like 4 GCN flops and sports a shitty Jaguar CPU.

Either the tools argument really does hold merit or the split memory setup + extremely gimped memory bandwidth is a huge bottleneck. I know the GPU+CPU combo certainly isn't the issue here.
PS4 Pro has visual downgrades.
Series S use the same visual as PS5 & Series X.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I´m kind of dissapointed... lots of aliasing when using broadcast camera!!!

I've actually seen quite a lot of aliasing in PS5 games. By far the biggest disappointment so far. It ruins the IQ so much; I really thought it'd be a thing of the past this gen.

they run and look exactly the same, except for one exception: the parametric camera option runs locked at 60fps on PlayStation 5, but does drop frames on Series consoles. Thankfully, this is easily avoided by using other camera angles (and the parametric viewpoint isn't actually that great for gameplay).

lol

they are basically the same, no one uses the parametric viewpoint anyway.

Also, it looks more like a bug if it’s only dropping in a certain camera angle.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
they run and look exactly the same, except for one exception: the parametric camera option runs locked at 60fps on PlayStation 5, but does drop frames on Series consoles. Thankfully, this is easily avoided by using other camera angles (and the parametric viewpoint isn't actually that great for gameplay).

lol

There are two types of framerate drops in Series X.

It has a single frame drops ("At these limits, the PlayStation 5 and Series S versions essentially operate flawlessly, while curiously Xbox Series X occasionally has single frame drops.")... not using VSYNC?
And bigger drops in parametric camera.

Series S only drops in parametric camera.

Last edited:

vkbest

lol

That is the camera people are using on career mode because you need see your player always. If you play career mode you are fucked on XSX now

Last edited:

waquzy

lol

TLDR,

Formatting is all over the place.

Last edited:

lol

ah yes, first tools now bugs

microsoft hq right now

come-on-you-apes-do-you-want-to-live-forever.jpg

-Arcadia-

Banned
Rolling my eyes at the immature chest beating, but I have to say it’s pretty remarkable how consistently the PS5 has emerged in the lead at this early stage.

I bought into what I honestly thought would be the weaker system, just as an extra for exclusives, and somehow ended up with the actual beast. I really have to credit Mark Cerny and his staff for a very intelligent, unconventional design that accomplishes more with less, to the point where it’s simultaneously the cheapest and best performing next-gen system.

That said, the differences are typically minuscule. Series X owners shouldn’t be disheartened over anything but the expectations of blowing out the competition not happening, and that’s not the biggest deal in the end. It’s a gorgeous game on both.

Props to 2K too, for doing right by the players with a true next-gen game. I get the feeling that the limited scope of an NBA game may help? You can certainly see that the non-court parts are a big step back. But nonetheless.

LucidFlux

Like John I haven't really played a sports game since NBA Jam, but man do the visuals look great.

They just need to smooth out the animations. There is still too much sliding and jerkiness but they are getting very close. The CPU's should hopefully have the grunt to rely more on physics based transitions between the canned animations.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Like John I haven't really played a sports game since NBA Jam, but man do the visuals look great.

They just need to smooth out the animations. There is still too much sliding and jerkiness but they are getting very close. The CPU's should hopefully have the grunt to rely more on physics based transitions between the canned animations.

One of the times, although I can usually easily tell, in the transition between real life footage and game footage, I got confused and thought the game footage was real life. That that could even happen is seriously impressive.

Top Bottom