• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] MLB The Show 21 - PlayStation Studios' First Multi-Plat Game - PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S, Pro vs One X!

geordiemp

Depends on the minimum fps the sync tech and TV can handle. Not sure about the VRR specs, where is the lower limit?

I don’t have a VRR TV but at least on PC gsync can go down to like the 40s successfully. Can’t magically add frames but the instant frame time fluctuations is what you see without gsync since the frames aren’t shown evenly, with gsync it mostly looks like correctly framepaced lower framerate, which is much easier to handle.
40 FPS for normal VRR,

Still defeats the main point which Riky Riky is struggling to understand.

Play games on the cheap using gamepass - use a new £ 1000 TV to get decent performance.

Md Ray

Fillrate isnt the issue here. Its not ps2. Both systems can easily render enough pixels to run over 120fps in 8k. What's more important are number and speed of shaders, optimizing to reduce over draw, and using the hardware to improve streaming. Stop spreading fill rate as a useful metric, it simply hasn't been useful in years.

Even more so threatening to report people is loser behavior
Not just fillrate, rasterization rate is also 22% higher. This could explain why PS5 is outperforming XSX in many games, isn't it? I mean the the hardware advantage is right in front of our eyes and so are the results.

Also, check who threatened to report first.

Zoro7

Banned
In fairness, it’s a factor. People bring up stuff like game install size on PS5 vs Series. I don’t see price as any less valid of a “feather in the cap” as that.

I find it really weird that people still refuse to acknowledge Game Pass’ value.

The Show is a huge get for GP. No question.
At no point did I say gamepass isn’t value?
I’m just saying it’s weird to bring it up when talking about how much you enjoy a game. It just sounds like marketing. People don’t speak like that in real life.

geordiemp

Saving money on games funds a next gen TV

The only VRR decent TV available is the CX, and maybe some of the newer OLEDs coming out as good blacks are a must have, but thats beside the point. Once you play on a LG OLED, there is no comparison.

Game is still dropping frames, that you just dont understand and would be better at 60.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Play games on the cheap using gamepass - use a new £ 1000 TV to get decent performance.
Lol okay I get your point 😅
He’s living the dream though, can’t take it away from him that from his perspective it is a winning combo.

Btw, I almost rushed away to buy a new TV yesterday after having tried 120fps through fps boost. It was amazing! But then I realized that I would need a new AVR as well to fully convert to 4K120... And I have no cheap stuff, Marantz AVR and a nice Sony TV, so we’re roughly looking at a $3000 investment in total to get 120fps and VRR unless I downgrade something 😬

Mister Wolf

The only VRR decent TV available is the CX, and maybe some of the newer OLEDs coming out as good blacks are a must have, but thats beside the point. Once you play on a LG OLED, there is no comparison.

Game is still dropping frames, that you just dont understand and would be better at 60.

I'm using a Samsung TV and the VRR/Gsync/Freesync works properly.

geordiemp

I'm using a Samsung TV and the VRR/Gsync/Freesync works properly.

Never suggested it did not, read what I typed. Its too hard to go back to LED once your used to OLED picture quality.

I assume your referring to > 55 inch Q80 ?

Mister Wolf

Never suggested it did not, read what I typed. Its too hard to go back to LED once your used to OLED picture quality.

I assume your referring to > 55 inch Q80 ?

QN90A

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Keep in mind..

MLB The Show 14
MLB The Show 15
MLB The Show 16

.. all came out on PS3.

Don't expect them to drop PS4 XBO until 2024 or so. And they'll have to add PC and or Switch eventually too.
True, but they will have a better grasp as years progress, and hopefully no more COVID lockdowns in an already short dev cycle of only 10 months for this game.

S0ULZB0URNE

I fail to see how. We can illustrate it with some simple maths. The PS5 version costs £70 and goes as low as 48 fps, which works out at £1.50 per frame. The Series X version costs £11 on Game Pass. It dips as low as 38 fps which still works out way cheaper at 30 pence per frame.

Either way you try to spin it, Xbox owners are clearly getting the better deal as they have done since the start of this gen and will continue to do so.
I suggest you watch the comparison again.
PS5 has up to a 11 fps advantage.

Oh and....

sn3FB2v.jpg

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Not just fillrate, rasterization rate is also 22% higher. This could explain why PS5 is outperforming XSX in many games, isn't it? I mean the the hardware advantage is right in front of our eyes and so are the results.

Some ppl are extremely transparent, lol.

They saw what you wrote, but just happened to not see the other person's post.

:pie_thinking:

Sony purposefully made it worse on Xbox.
Nope because the game is faster on xbox one x than ps4 pro, this game just shows the obvious ps5 advantage in fps its a similar trend weve seen over and over again. I just think ps5 is faster in rasterization well probably see a difference between ps5 and series x on compute heavy games in raytracing, and simulations but in textures, polygons, and alpha particles ps5 is just generally faster.

Well like Rich said, it could be growing pains of studio used to doing exclusive games on a console who now has to develop it on multiplatform not even a year into next gen.
They always make an excuse when a game performs worse on xbox and call it a benchmark when it performs worse on ps5. Suddenly now cutscene fps doesnt matter but in control photomode fps was called a benchmark.🤣🤣🤣

There are three explanations for the stark disparity in performance.
1) Despite using PC parts, consoles are still not closed box PCs despite some veterans claim. There is clearly some secret sauce or at least some differences here. Otherwise a 12 tflops GPU with a 3.6 ghz cpu with faster ram bandwidth can never beat out a lower speced GPU from the same GPU family.
2) XSX has a bottleneck somewhere because these drops shouldn't happen regardless of how this thing is optimized for PS consoles. It's a straight port of a PS4 game running on a PS5 which might share some APIs but it's running on a completely different hardware architecture than the PS4 Pro.
3) DirectX vs OpenGL APIs?

I really fucking wish they had ported this on PC so we could see how this would run on a 12 tflops RDNA 2.0 gpu because that would also be using DirectX APIs which would confirm that their codebase isnt optimized for DirectX.
Theres no secret sauce, the bandwidth on series x is not as high as people think its 560gb/s at 10gb and 336gb/s at 6gb that acerages at 448gb/s when using full 16gb and theres latency bottlenecks when accesing memory because of the split configuration where as on ps5 its 448gb/s for both cpu and gpu this is an advantage cause it lessens memory latencies.

And also the faster clocks make ps5 obviously faster in rasterization, pixels, textures, polygons, alpha are all faster on ps5, id assume series x to be faster on compute heavy games but well see. Battlefield will be the real nextgen benchmark i cant wait.

DaGwaphics

40 FPS for normal VRR,

Still defeats the main point which Riky Riky is struggling to understand.

Or buy a $150 monitor that better fits the resolutions offered by the S..... LOL

There has got to be a 12 step program for you somewhere geordiemp. Plus, you shouldn't be so defensive, Sony will surely get HDMI 2.1 figured out one of these days.

oldergamer

I don't think that is the case, bit could be here. It could also be a case of porting from PlayStation which leads to sub optimal usage on xbox. Its not like xbox is a slouch in comparison when it comes to ROP performance. Due to clock speed ps5, it can out brute force xbox in certain circumstances. However if those games are optimized or more complex, brute force wont be enough to beat it out.

Never honestly seen a sports game get close to making full use of a consoles performance, ever.

Fredrik

Sony will surely get HDMI 2.1 figured out one of these days.
Yeah it’s coming and I can’t wait to see the ”Sorry Riky, you were right all along!” threads! 😁 I’ve been there on gsync, I know the reactions it pulls out, can’t go back once you’ve tried it. 👍 Most frustrating thing, it can’t be shown through a video, can’t show evenly paced 54fps on youtube. Few understand what it actually does and how awesome it is until they’ve tried it. Reminds me about the issue showing off VR, looks meh on video, must be experienced first hand.

Shmunter

Theres no secret sauce, the bandwidth on series x is not as high as people think its 560gb/s at 10gb and 336gb/s at 6gb that acerages at 448gb/s when using full 16gb and theres latency bottlenecks when accesing memory because of the split configuration where as on ps5 its 448gb/s for both cpu and gpu this is an advantage cause it lessens memory latencies.

And also the faster clocks make ps5 obviously faster in rasterization, pixels, textures, polygons, alpha are all faster on ps5, id assume series x to be faster on compute heavy games but well see. Battlefield will be the real nextgen benchmark i cant wait.
Compute will be stifled this gen thanks to 4tf XsS dammit

Danknugz

Played it last night on my 1337 fat og Xbox one. Ran at like 20 fps was fun regardless. Walk off 2 run homer with the red sox

A game which proves that Sony and its playstation 5 is truly a system based on a last generation Technology.
And only proves what I have been saying for a long time now that Sony is selling you old technology with a few new parts.
It's a old code base Running on a new technology, Xbox 1. PS4 , PS4 pro, X1X and PS5 are all GCN based that perform in that order, and the 1 ture next-gen architecture is still running in last Gen mode.
Right now we are in a cross Gen. Game situation where most of the games are built using old technology old coding paths of GCN. Where Sony and its playstation 5 Fits in perfectly due to its old Gcn hardware.

Where Sony and its playstation 5 Fits in perfectly due to its old Gcn hardware.

But it's not GCN it's RDNA2 based.

AMD RDNA™ 2 architecture is the foundation for next-generation PC gaming graphics, the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S and X consoles.​

We built a GPU with 36CUs mind you RDNA2 CUs are large each has 62% more transistors than the CUs we were using on PlayStation 4.

Calling it last gen technology is trolling at this point.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I guess I will write here what I wrote in Next-gen thread, for those who might be familiar or close to development. I don't claim that this situation is similar in any way.

I just speaking as someone who talked to engineer of my past team (KC: D) and MS introduced shit ton of new APIs, like that you are basically rewriting games, not from scratch, but it's considerable effort, we didn't discuss any of the game performance, I was just curious about GDK. I was explained, that kind of have to do it, because GDK now can compile straight to windows binaries, so there is need for different APIs which then base on what you have in manifest do xbox or PC versions. However, you are not required to use them, sure Visual Studio will warn you, but you can compile last-gen API code by GDK without an issue. Which gives XSX version 12 TF of GCN (this expression sucks, but hopefully you get the point), because it does not use APIs for those RDNA features. Based on inner document this is going to get fixed, but it does not matter when since it's already too late and games moves to another engines.

Also you probably figured out, with old APIs the whole divided memory pool is fucked.

/rumor
But I guess it's not high-budget title, they are mainly PS devs, so why fuck around with new codebase, when they can change few things like resolution and effect and compile the old X1X codebase.

I am not saying that this is what happened, but could be.
\rumor

And again this is not really tools, but how MS handle the "generations"...

93xfan

Banned
This is a major giveaway that this Sony team is for obvious reasons ahead in using sonys own APIs over microsofts dev environment due to this being the first game on that platform.

The one x smokes the ps4 Pro yet we don't see a large advantage here? I wonder why? Oh yeah I just said it above haha
I was thinking the same. Don’t think it is intentional.

jaysius

Banned
The amount of console warring that happens in these threads is amazing, so many people never even want to play the game that post here so having “another one“ is irrelevant,it’s a notch on some weird belt that doesn’t matter, it’s like getting excited about good ice cream when you’re lactose intolerant.

200.gif

As long as the frame dips don’t happen in user interactable areas of the game then who truly cares.

HoofHearted

Amount isn't the point.
You don't pay you won't be able to play.
Obviously you’re missing the point entirely -

I’m getting exactly the value out of this game that I expected... the fact that I’ve received it Day 1 on my XSX for a service I’m already paying for versus having to pay for it full price on my PS5 is a bonus.

This game is, at best, a minor upgrade on a backported engine for a seasonal event. I can live with the “up to11 FPS” difference because I could care less about minuscule differences in overall performance between these two consoles. I fully expect (as DF noted in their video) that there will probably be a performance patch soon to address these minor issues - and if not - who cares?

IMHO - These types of sports games are actually perfect for a GaaS offering as you typically play them for a few months and then move on to the next version.

But hey - if you’re happy with paying full price for this type of a game - all the more power to you.

Reactions: Isa
The amount of console warring that happens in these threads is amazing,
They are, without fail, the worst threads on Gaf every time - an excuse for the worst posters to be even more annoying than usual, whichever side ‘wins’.

On topic, tried this out because GamePass - seems pretty good to me. Didn’t notice any frame rate problems. Liked the dynamic difficulty, but not sure it was working? Pitched a no hit game (think that’s what it’s called?) and won 12-0. Not played a baseball game since the first Show on the Vita - saw the difficulty saying it was changing a few times, but didn’t seem any harder.

Will probably never play it again because Baseball is a terrible sport. Just wanted to support MLB’s decision lol.

DaGwaphics

They are, without fail, the worst threads on Gaf every time - an excuse for the worst posters to be even more annoying than usual, whichever side ‘wins’.

On topic, tried this out because GamePass - seems pretty good to me. Didn’t notice any frame rate problems. Liked the dynamic difficulty, but not sure it was working? Pitched a no hit game (think that’s what it’s called?) and won 12-0. Not played a baseball game since the first Show on the Vita - saw the difficulty saying it was changing a few times, but didn’t seem any harder.

Will probably never play it again because Baseball is a terrible sport. Just wanted to support MLB’s decision lol.

The pitching does seem a bit easy overall, 15 or 20 strikeouts a game seems to be a given. Quite easy to have a pitcher go for a complete game even if they have no energy.

With that said, I absolutely suck at hitting so far, so, 2 or 3 runs seems to be my ceiling at the moment. LOL

jroc74

A game which proves that Sony and its playstation 5 is truly a system based on a last generation Technology.
And only proves what I have been saying for a long time now that Sony is selling you old technology with a few new parts.
It's a old code base Running on a new technology, Xbox 1. PS4 , PS4 pro, X1X and PS5 are all GCN based that perform in that order, and the 1 ture next-gen architecture is still running in last Gen mode.
Right now we are in a cross Gen. Game situation where most of the games are built using old technology old coding paths of GCN. Where Sony and its playstation 5 Fits in perfectly due to its old Gcn hardware.
lol

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Mad Max Reaction GIF

jroc74

But it's not GCN it's RDNA2 based.

Calling it last gen technology is trolling at this point.

Screenshot-11.png

G8fhVP39zLfekWz9nJeiFn-970-80.png

20200329144917.jpg

You know good n well Lisa Su and Mary Cerny are the biggest liars on the planet!!

s/

Last edited:
I just played this on Xcloud too - bought one of those Razer things for my iPhone too and wanted to try out the iOS beta. Really good for that, played a Home Run Derby, looked great and no lag that I could discern.

Thanks MLB!

Hezekiah

Banned
Another multiplatform game that performs better on PS5 - those cache scrubbers and other custom tech really working wonders for Sony.

Top Bottom