• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] MLB The Show 21 - PlayStation Studios' First Multi-Plat Game - PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S, Pro vs One X!

I find it really weird how people playing games on gamepass need to announced that they are playing a game on gamepass.
In fairness, it’s a factor. People bring up stuff like game install size on PS5 vs Series. I don’t see price as any less valid of a “feather in the cap” as that.

I find it really weird that people still refuse to acknowledge Game Pass’ value.

The Show is a huge get for GP. No question.

Last edited:

FrankWza

This game will be $5 in the bargain bin in 6 months....

certainly not worth $70 ....

Until the battery in your console dies.
You can keep your 2 extra frames, and I'll keep my $70. Who's the real winner here?
Kinda surprised how bad the framerate is in general. Also the loading. Madden is basically instant on next gen.
uh oh oops GIF by Boomerang Official

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
You will spend more than $70 in 6 months and still not own it or have to pay more to continue playing it.

Oh and up to 11 fps of a difference 🤭
I'm not spending any money for this game, unless you want to get technical and then well I guess since there are 300 games on game pass, at $15 a month, MLB 21 is costing me 5 pennies a month.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I'm not spending any money for this game, unless you want to get technical and then well I guess since there are 300 games on game pass, at $15 a month, MLB 21 is costing me 5 pennies a month.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Last edited:

RobRSG

I find it really weird how people playing games on gamepass need to announced that they are playing a game on gamepass.
Maybe because they wouldn’t buy and play it otherwise?
Maybe it’s the relief of not paying 70€ in a game?
Maybe because they really enjoy their time with the game?
You can pick one of the three, but for me all three are applicable for this very specific game.

Dlacy13g

Look, there's no way in hell Sony was going to let this ship out being better on the rival console. Anyone thinking that possibly was going to be the case is just fooling themselves. I am sure the approach was get close to parody but were not pouring in a bunch of assets and time to polish beyond parody. And once they got the game to mostly being the same I am sure they said development stops for the rival console.

That sad I'll take those frame rate drops for getting it on game pass all day.

Last edited:
You sure about that, bruv? I think it's the Sony bros who need to vacate the thread.

Having the Sony crowd entering this thread in the hope of being consoled by the odd higher framerate is like a dude who comes home to catch his wife getting shagged by his most hated neighbour and who then desperately tries to console himself by making her tell him that he is better in bed :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Feel Better Cheer Up GIF

It's okay bro, she wasn't worth it in the first place. You totally shag better bro.

You the alpha Male, for real.

Trying Not To Cry Season 8 GIF by The Office

kyliethicc

Next year should be a different ballgame out of the gate, pun intended.
Keep in mind..

MLB The Show 14
MLB The Show 15
MLB The Show 16

.. all came out on PS3.

Don't expect them to drop PS4 XBO until 2024 or so. And they'll have to add PC and or Switch eventually too.

Actual in-game action runs nigh-on locked at 60fps on PlayStation 5, and it's much the same on Series X - just a little less stable. However, it's in the games cutscenes (or 'presentations' rather) that San Diego Studio pushes graphics much harder. Frame-rate buckles on all machines and it's here that we see that Series X occasionally matches PS5, but more often drops harder - by a factor of around 9-11fps.

So the PS5 just shows it’s power advantage.
Or series bottleneck

also, first time the word nigh has been used in association with anything baseball related so...
There's no power advantage on PS5 and what bottleneck? Reported your post for posting false stuff to bait people.

Its optimisation issue in SX version nothing more.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Because it doesn't need it? Just needs a 30fps cap on cutscenes like every other sports game.
But it dips on both platforms, some form of DRS would be nice for those situations, I mean this makes me think it's some older engine. But it does look really good tho in my opinion.

Md Ray

There's no power advantage on PS5 and what bottleneck? Reported your post for posting false stuff to bait people.

Its optimisation issue in SX version nothing more.
"There's no power advantage on PS5"

PS5 GPU has 22% higher rasterization rate, pixel fillrate throughput than XSX GPU. Should I report your post for posting false stuff to bait people?

Last edited:

OneTruth

Banned
Only fanboys (like always) see difference. 99% games PS5 vs XSX look identical for normal people, but fanboys always knows better....

Last edited:

modiz

2lcj8l.jpg

Microsoft taking notes how to develop games on the competitor's platform (before the contracts made before the acquisition deal was made run out, of course).

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
I fail to see how. We can illustrate it with some simple maths. The PS5 version costs £70 and goes as low as 48 fps, which works out at £1.50 per frame. The Series X version costs £11 on Game Pass. It dips as low as 38 fps which still works out way cheaper at 30 pence per frame.

Either way you try to spin it, Xbox owners are clearly getting the better deal as they have done since the start of this gen and will continue to do so.

Shmunter

Lots of talk but have you played the game? Well I have and you know why 🤭
They didn’t mention VRR at least, I bet that could’ve been another talking point 😏
Nah, got last years on ps+. Have not even downloaded it

But I’m not sure what bearing it may have in the matter. Value, interest, the firmness of my toilet deposit. All lack relevance in a tech head to head.

Fredrik

Nah, got last years on ps+. Have not even downloaded it

But I’m not sure what bearing it may have in the matter. Value, interest, the firmness of my toilet deposit. All lack relevance in a tech head to head.
As I thought and I bet you’re not alone, I bet there are dedicated PS fans that are actually playing this game on Xbox this time because they happen to have an Xbox too and the game is just sitting there ready to be installed. It’s a crazy scenario that’s hard to ignore. I don’t even understand the sport and I still played it, because well why not? Got myself a new dashboard background too! 😆

a8RjCAY.jpg

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
ONE X only gets a few more frames per second than PS4 Pro running at the same resolution. That’s surprising.
This is a major giveaway that this Sony team is for obvious reasons ahead in using sonys own APIs over microsofts dev environment due to this being the first game on that platform.

The one x smokes the ps4 Pro yet we don't see a large advantage here? I wonder why? Oh yeah I just said it above haha

geordiemp

You've misunderstood, some studios are just incompetent and VRR on Xbox offers you a way to overcome that incompetence, you should embrace it.

Why should I embrace VRR with 2 OLED TVs and 2 Ps5, it would mean replacing 2 TVs with CX just to compensate for XSX lack of power ?

Also VRR cant handle large dips anyway.

Also the Xb1X version held up well for last gen, so is it GDK tools or not ?

Last edited:

oldergamer

"There's no power advantage on PS5"

PS5 GPU has 22% higher rasterization rate, pixel fillrate throughput than XSX GPU. Should I report your post for posting false stuff to bait people?
Fillrate isnt the issue here. Its not ps2. Both systems can easily render enough pixels to run over 120fps in 8k. What's more important are number and speed of shaders, optimizing to reduce over draw, and using the hardware to improve streaming. Stop spreading fill rate as a useful metric, it simply hasn't been useful in years.

Even more so threatening to report people is loser behavior

Last edited:
Right now im so disappointed by my Series S... 95% of the games run in 1080p 60 with frame drops (and i hate frame drops)
Even microsoft games ... Minecraft dungeon, Gears 5 and others that struggle to keep the 60 fps constant ... And the picture quality is really but really not that great ... I had a PS4 Pro that I sold and the games were running at 30 fps but the graphics were crazy ...

And it's not the first time that the textures of a game seem worse on S vs X ...

Riky

$MSFT
Why should I embrace VRR with 2 OLED TVs and 2 Ps5, it would mean replacing 2 TVs with CX just to compensate for XSX lack of power ?

Also VRR cant handle large dips anyway.

Also the Xb1X version held up well for last gen, so is it GDK tools or not ?

You'd get better performance on Xbox with VRR, also Xbox consoles have a lot more 120fps games if framerate is your concern. Plus the usual resolution advantage, don't sell yourself short.

X1X is 40% more powerful than Pro but doesn't show that here so the 17% advantage that Series X has over PS5 isn't going to show either. It's simple case of a first party developer having to port to Xbox and that not being the lead platform. We'll see how Deathloop and Tokyo Ghostwire compare later. Luckily for the developer VRR gives them the performance they were looking for.

Shmunter

Right now im so disappointed by my Series S... 95% of the games run in 1080p 60 with frame drops (and i hate frame drops)
Even microsoft games ... Minecraft dungeon, Gears 5 and others that struggle to keep the 60 fps constant ... And the picture quality is really but really not that great ... I had a PS4 Pro that I sold and the games were running at 30 fps but the graphics were crazy ...

And it's not the first time that the textures of a game seem worse on S vs X ...
Do you know what the S stands for? S for Special.

Special Olympics kind of special.

Fredrik

Also VRR does not work so well even if you buy a new TV with such low dips in frame rate.
Depends on the minimum fps the sync tech and TV can handle. Not sure about the VRR specs, where is the lower limit?

I don’t have a VRR TV but at least on PC gsync can go down to like the 40s successfully. Can’t magically add frames but the instant frame time fluctuations is what you see without gsync since the frames aren’t shown evenly, with gsync it mostly looks like correctly framepaced lower framerate, which is much easier to handle.

BigLee74

Yeah, that 1080p60 is a right bitch, innit? Especially on a 1080p display.

Yeah, that 1080p60 is a right bitch, innit? Especially on a 1080p display.

It's really not incredible ... I have to play on a 1080p TV 2m away to get a correct picture ... On a 4K oled TV the Xbox series S is terrible in game, everything is blurry and I hate blur, such as framerate drops ...

Gears 5 is a locked 60fps anyway so I don't know what he's talking about, you only have to look at the breakdowns. It even does 120fps in multiplayer.

I did 2 chapters and I sometimes had drops while playing in coop ... And I don't think it was the network I have a great connection and I was playing with my cousin ...

I’m not saying this game wouldn’t always have ran better on the PS5 over the XSX, but it’s painfully obvious they would make damn sure it did in this case.

It would have been a horrendous look for a Sony developed game to run best on XSX.
But they can't make it run worse. What they could have done is reduce the resolution to like 1800p, even if the game was then locked 60fps at 1800p. Wait, that reminds me something...

BigLee74

It's really not incredible ... I have to play on a 1080p TV 2m away to get a correct picture ... On a 4K oled TV the Xbox series S is terrible in game, everything is blurry and I hate blur, such as framerate drops ...

Know what you’re buying? It’s not really intended for 4K displays, or true graphic whores. That’s why it’s 200 dollars/pound less than the X.

And performance wise, it blows the PS4 Pro out the water. Of course, you may prefer PS exclusives, but nothing the S or X can do about that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom