• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] MLB The Show 21 - PlayStation Studios' First Multi-Plat Game - PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S, Pro vs One X!

FrankWza

Frame rate drop on both but ONLY DURING CUTSCENES which are not playable by players. So it doesn't matter.
Actual in-game action runs nigh-on locked at 60fps on PlayStation 5, and it's much the same on Series X - just a little less stable. However, it's in the games cutscenes (or 'presentations' rather) that San Diego Studio pushes graphics much harder. Frame-rate buckles on all machines and it's here that we see that Series X occasionally matches PS5, but more often drops harder - by a factor of around 9-11fps.

So the PS5 just shows it’s power advantage.
Or series bottleneck

also, first time the word nigh has been used in association with anything baseball related so...

Last edited:
I’m forever perplexed why anyone in 2021 wouldn’t use reconstruction, at least basic drs. Framerate is king, balance it.

Reminds me of that game where the devs had Native 1800P on the PS5 but then changed it to DRS 1800P to improve the framerate. I'm sure DRS would work fine in MLB.

OneTruth

Banned
Sony game perform better on PS5??. Amazing!!. PS5 is BEAST!!.

Do you think that Bethesda games will be perform better on PS5 than XSX??. Answer: NO.

Fanboys is real cancer....

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Rich from DF with the analysis on this one.

Summary incoming:

- PS5 and XsX are native 4k, the game looks identical between the two systems (according to Rich), same textures, post-processing, lighting, shadows, etc. All graphics settings the same. No DRS, holds native 4k.
- Series S - 1080p, possibly lower res textures than XsX and PS5?
- Framerate dips on all platforms, including PS5 and XsX
- PS5 does have framerate advantage, the hard dips happen on both consoles but dip harder on XsX
- Hard dips are mostly exclusive to non-interactive cutscenes.
- Interactive gameplay is mostly 60 with some small dips on both consoles (more frequent small dips on XsX than PS5)
- Series S has similar performance target but less stable than both XsX and PS5

Unless I brainfarted, I don't think he covers loading times

hEmlT1J.png

let GIF

I am honestly just glad that everyone can play the best sports game on the planet. I love this franchise.

dj-khaled-gif-11.gif

DaGwaphics

Do you think that Bethesda games will be perform better on PS5 than XSX??. Answer: NO.

It's actually sad if people didn't think that the title would show at least some advantage on Sony's own platform. Even if it isn't intentional, their greater level of familiarity with the apis alone should ensure that. LOL

Kangx

The answer is its depend. How many non sony games perform better on the ps5? The answer is plenty. I'll give you this narrative if ps5 does not have a lot of games perform better. I will say this, both console will trade blow. There are games perform better on the ps5 and vice versa. You will continue to see this trend moving forward.

Portugeezer

The answer is its depend. How many non sony games perform better on the ps5? The answer is plenty. I'll give you this narrative if ps5 does not have a lot of games perform better. I will say this, both console will trade blow. There are games perform better on the ps5 and vice versa. You will continue to see this trend moving forward.
PS5 so good it has made people forget Series X was supposed to be the 12tflop beast, the most powerful console... not to be outdone by a 10tflop RDNA 1.5 machine.

Spokker

Historically, the crowd in MLB stadiums takes a heavy chunk out of performance. If DF had looked at a minor league stadium, the frame rate would probably be higher. Many competitive players of The Show play exclusively in minor league stadiums because of the perceived performance benefit.

This is an engine that dates back to the PS3 era. There are still textures, ballparks and even lines of commentary that are from the PS3 versions. They only just recently upgraded the minor league stadium backdrops, not the stadiums themselves. The word "unoptimized" might be thrown around a lot, but The Show could be the epitome of unoptimized.

Last edited:

FrankWza

It could just be that the game isn't compute driven so it likes the PS5 hardware better due to the advantages that it has.
I don’t know. But anyone who’s played this game for years will tell you the PS5 version is the most solid the frame rate has ever been. It’s pretty much the best upgrade they have in the game especially from a gameplay standpoint. It’s baseball. The batter/pitcher part is everything. They basically backed into this because of the next gen console power and the PS5 version is more stable. Leadbetter never played this game in his life and he spends most of the article making excuses about the stability. Fuck all that. It’s really hard to hit in this game and the ball explodes on HoF and legend. That shit matters.
Nobody has been more critical of the game than me, they’re basically just running this game off of the consoles and the consoles are doing the lifting. The 1x shows that. The PS5 shows that. The load times also prove Sony played this right down the middle. Any advantages are brute strength however you slice it.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Until the battery in your console dies.
Seems someone hasnt been keeping up with the news on this.

Also seems like some in this thread just cant handle the truth.

Only thing I might tin foil hat is the devs having the cut scenes uncapped, lol.

That might have been a
o-CHEERS-LEONARDO-DICAPRIO-570.jpg

from the devs. lmao

Genx3

Did you honestly think a Sony 1st party studio was going to make their brand new PS5 console look worse than their competitors?

Pro vs One X is old news from a competition Sony won long ago. Sony can afford to make the X1X version better but they won't sacrifice that new PS5 version for the XSX version and I personally don't blame them one bit.

I am having a blast with this game on gamepass. Never imagined I would have fun with it, and care to learn baseball.

IMO it’s the best sports game franchise currently running. Enjoy

I’m forever perplexed why anyone in 2021 wouldn’t use reconstruction, at least basic drs. Framerate is king, balance it.

Especially when it seems like they coulda just dropped the res a bit, no lower than 1800p, and get flawless 60

Last edited:

FrankWza

Only thing I might tin foil hat is the devs having the cut scenes uncapped, lol.
Straight up. It was “how can Sony allow this” “they’re asleep at the wheel” when the gamepass news came out about mlb. now all of a sudden they’re shrewd enough that they’re concocting this grand scheme to make the game run better on the PS5 but the 1x runs better than the pro? Sure. Plus, The load times too run right in line with pretty much everything we’ve seen from 3rd party. SDS deserves heat for a lot of things and I’ve been really critical about that, but they let the consoles speak for themselves with every version. The results are just the way things are, and the way things have been going.

same gas
same track
same driver

The cars are different and these are your performance results.

SCB3

I've been playing on a Series S at 1080p, its been fine in game, the only drops I've had is just before a game starts, there's a bit of hitching for 2 seconds, nothing major, rest of the game runs fine and I'm having fun with it outside of not being able to hit the fucking ball, I got an accidental Grand Slam in a Minor league game on the Road to the Show mode

Fredrik

Not going to lie, i was expecting the difference to be larger in favour of PS5.
Fair play to the dev team.
Yeah people are having a bit of silly fun but I think most expected worse and Sony deserves some praise here. Things could’ve been so much worse! Sony has honestly set the bar high for future first or better titles now. Microsoft have big shoes to fill when their PS5 releases drop.

"HAUHSUUSHA SONY ALWAYS WINS BABY!"

Buy serious, what the fuck is wrong with the SeX and the Virgin?
First I was thinking, maybe after all these years as an exclusive the engine works better on the Sony environment, they still need to work more on it to work on the Microsoft environment but... what about the Virgin? It has about the same teraflops as the Professional, but with an GPU from another generation, much stronger, with much better CPU, faster and more memory... why the heck it performs like that makes no sense!

Damn, this new generation is being so mysterious.

Md Ray

Did you honestly think a Sony 1st party studio was going to make their brand new PS5 console look worse than their competitors?

Pro vs One X is old news from a competition Sony won long ago. Sony can afford to make the X1X version better but they won't sacrifice that new PS5 version for the XSX version and I personally don't blame them one bit.
PS5 is simply more powerful in some aspects of its GPU. So it performs better (or on par SX), not just in this game, but in many games we've seen so far.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I find it really weird how people playing games on gamepass need to announced that they are playing a game on gamepass.
I find it weird how people need to announce that they find it weird that people playing games on gamepass need to announce that they are playing a game on gamepass. 😉

I mean, don’t overthink it, it’s a popular gaming service available on multiple platforms, people will mention it. And since lots of games are there and people likes to talk about the latest games they’re playing you’ll hear about it. People talk about the TV shows the enjoy on Netflix and Disney+ too.

The nature of the popularity is that lots of PS fans here won’t actually play this game, for pricing reasons, meta score, not being interested in sports, etc. Meanwhile lots of Xbox fans will play it, at least for a short testrun, and will talk about it, simply because it’s there dirt cheap. That’s a weird scenario.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Developed first on PS5 and ported to xbox without any xbox specific customizations, and it BARELY and MINIMALLY performs worse? Smack in the face to Sony IMO.
You might wanna get together with some folks so yall can be on the same page.

If this starts to be the new spin some of us are gonna get dizzy.

the shitstorm that would of ensured if the game ran better on series x would of been funny to watch....but sony did the bare minimum to keep it the same parity wise

DaGwaphics

"HAUHSUUSHA SONY ALWAYS WINS BABY!"

Buy serious, what the fuck is wrong with the SeX and the Virgin?
First I was thinking, maybe after all these years as an exclusive the engine works better on the Sony environment, they still need to work more on it to work on the Microsoft environment but... what about the Virgin? It has about the same teraflops as the Professional, but with an GPU from another generation, much stronger, with much better CPU, faster and more memory... why the heck it performs like that makes no sense!

Damn, this new generation is being so mysterious.

The XSS is running a slightly different version of the game than the Pro. While there isn't much difference between the current-gen and previous gen versions, there is a difference in things like the sand blowing up more under foot and some differences in the depth of field as well. The Pro and 1X are running the last-gen version, the XSS is running a lower-res version of the game with next-gen settings. So not 1 for 1 comparable.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Was waiting for this shit to start

Was kind of thinking considering they were forced to do it, they did a pretty good job, I actually commend them for at least close parity on something they didn't want to do.

Top Bottom