• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] MLB The Show 21 - PlayStation Studios' First Multi-Plat Game - PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S, Pro vs One X!

Rich from DF with the analysis on this one.

So what happens when PlayStation Studios gets to grips with Xbox hardware and how do the results compare with their PS4/PS5 efforts? That's what we're going to find out today as MLB The Show 21 gets a thorough analysis on PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Some intriguing results here...

Summary incoming:

- PS5 and XsX are native 4k, the game looks identical between the two systems (according to Rich), same textures, post-processing, lighting, shadows, etc. All graphics settings the same. No DRS, holds native 4k.
- Series S - 1080p, possibly lower res textures than XsX and PS5?
- Framerate dips on all platforms, including PS5 and XsX
- PS5 does have framerate advantage, the hard dips happen on both consoles but dip harder on XsX
- Hard dips are mostly exclusive to non-interactive cutscenes.
- Interactive gameplay is mostly 60 with some small dips on both consoles (more frequent small dips on XsX than PS5)
- Series S has similar performance target but less stable than both XsX and PS5

Unless I brainfarted, I don't think he covers loading times

hEmlT1J.png

let GIF

I am honestly just glad that everyone can play the best sports game on the planet. I love this franchise.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Fuck me, sony cant even make a locked 60 FPS title on these consoles with these last gen looking graphics? awful.

Another one!

Good move from Sony, but overall a great play by MLB in signing the gamepass deal. Both companies got fucked in some way.

Last edited:

Kazza

Green guys. You won’t like it here 🤣

But if you’re tough enough, bring it on!

You sure about that, bruv? I think it's the Sony bros who need to vacate the thread.

Having the Sony crowd entering this thread in the hope of being consoled by the odd higher framerate is like a dude who comes home to catch his wife getting shagged by his most hated neighbour and who then desperately tries to console himself by making her tell him that he is better in bed :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Shmunter

Fuck me, sony cant even make a locked 60 FPS title on these consoles with these last gen looking graphics? awful.

Another one!

Good move from Sony, but overall a great play by MLB in signing the gamepass deal. Both companies got fucked in some way.
Oooh, this guys bringing the goods. Look out!

Nah, lol just messin with ya, you’re alright.

Last edited:

Shmunter

You sure about that, bruv? I think it's the Sony bros who need to vacate the thread.

Having the Sony crowd entering this thread in the hope of being consoled by the odd higher framerate is like a dude who comes home to catch his wife getting shagged by his most hated neighbour and who then desperately tries to console himself by making her tell him that he is better in bed :messenger_tears_of_joy:
That absolutely made no sense, but I still liked it 🤣

skit_data

I really do wonder about all these ”technical parity” stuff from the ”Sony is evil because marketing agreements on RE8”-thread.

Seeing as Sony publishes the game on their platforms and MLB themselves publishes the game on other platforms, how the hell do these contracts look? Thats a contract I want to see.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There are three explanations for the stark disparity in performance.
1) Despite using PC parts, consoles are still not closed box PCs despite some veterans claim. There is clearly some secret sauce or at least some differences here. Otherwise a 12 tflops GPU with a 3.6 ghz cpu with faster ram bandwidth can never beat out a lower speced GPU from the same GPU family.
2) XSX has a bottleneck somewhere because these drops shouldn't happen regardless of how this thing is optimized for PS consoles. It's a straight port of a PS4 game running on a PS5 which might share some APIs but it's running on a completely different hardware architecture than the PS4 Pro.
3) DirectX vs OpenGL APIs?

I really fucking wish they had ported this on PC so we could see how this would run on a 12 tflops RDNA 2.0 gpu because that would also be using DirectX APIs which would confirm that their codebase isnt optimized for DirectX.

Last edited:
This is actually a good port for xbox series x, I don't get the whole "Sony sabotage the game" outburst is coming from. This is also Sony first time working on an xbox game and biggest difference between the two seems to be cutscene FPS which doesn't really affect the game play. In fact, most people just skip the cutscenes to play the game lol.

My biggest concern is the online and how well it works for xbox. Haven't tried the online, but if it sucks than we have a bigger issue.

Top Bottom