• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Little Nightmares 2 PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Enhanced Edition - 60FPS! Ray Tracing! Enhanced Features!

assurdum

Banned
Uh.. I guess there was the NFS Heat remaster too? Everything else in 2021 has been either a draw or an XSX win.

So enjoy this one, no need to go for the « it’s a draw but it’s a win because the hardware is inferior » angle this time.
I mean if for you to have higher resolution (mostly via DRS setting) with less stable FPS it's an undisputable victory, yeah series X win quite often.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
A not correct setting or config can of course be considered a bug.

For all we know it's doing both.
The SSR implementation doesn’t existed before in previous consoles. SSR reflections were created for next-gen consoles.

Maybe that was created for Series S so Series X is using the same? I can think that is the only option but it is not exactly a bug.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Who started the whole "most powerfull console" rhetoric? Because 12Teratitties are better the 10.3 teratitties (but in reality they are 7 teratitties, and RDNA1.5!!!111!!!!11!!!).

Well, every draw is a PS5 win then. You started that discussion, you won't let it die, you'll live with the results.

Oh, and the Ray Tracing on PS5 is so beautiful to play at 60 fps. Yes, it's hardware RT, and not software likethe FUD spread by whoever.

/sorry for the rant
Yeah that's the sad rhetoric I was talking about, it's like saying you can't run as fast as Usain Bolt but it's ok because you smoke and you're fat. Have a bit of self-respect!

But you don't need to use it this time, you have an ACTUAL win so congrats.

Garani

Yeah that's the sad rhetoric I was talking about, it's like saying you can't run as fast as Usain Bolt but it's ok because you smoke and you're fat. Have a bit of self-respect!

Quite the contrary, it's Usain Bolt who doesn't perform as expected. And it's Bolt's problem not of those that beat him.

A draw it's a loss for XSX, because of the "most powerful console" or whatever.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Quite the contrary, it's Usain Bolt who doesn't perform as expected. And it's Bolt's problem not of those that beat him.

But you’re just repeating my argument, that since you were not expecting to win then a draw is a better outcome than you expected and therefore is a win.

It’s the very definition of mental gymnastics when the reality is a draw is a draw and a win is a win. Anyway it’s been done to death at this point and doesn’t apply this time since it’s objectively a win.

dcmk7

Banned
It's obviously a issue on the developers end that will most likey get patched.
Acting Bbc Comedy GIF by Mischief

Does it really have to be said that no ray tracing on series x is a bug? It's likely the Series S version of the game was supposed to be missing RT, and the series x inherited the series s setting during development, kinda like that time dirt 5 on series x was using series s settings. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And there are games with ray tracing where Series X still has higher resolution, so I wouldn't make some of the leaps people are to assume that it's the only reason series x leads in resolution. That said, great job by the devs, great game.

Last edited:

Three

The re-test when Series RT is patched in will be interesting, I wonder what will take a hit? Probably lower DRS count :pie_thinking: Or will it be the fps?
Probably res because it is already struggling with framerate in some minor way. I bet for the Series consoles there is one base settings for Series S and they just bumped the res. Saves on QA too.

The SSR implementation doesn’t existed before in previous consoles. SSR reflections were created for next-gen consoles.

Maybe that was created for Series S so Series X is using the same? I can think that is the only option but it is not exactly a bug.
That sounds plausible. I'd call anything a bug that's not the intent of the developer.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Let's ignore the 12TF / "world's most powerful console" marketing campaign for a second (because that could be a bit console war-ish) and think about it more objectively and based on the different features/strengths of the two consoles.

My two cents are that a draw will be considered a PS5 win because the PS5 spent their GPU budget (36 CUs instead of 52 CUs) elsewhere:
  • Faster SSD (improved loading speeds)
  • Compression tech (smaller file size)
  • DualSense technology (one-of-a-kind experience with haptic feedback and adaptive trigger)
  • PSVR 2 compatibility, etc.
So if the PS5 is performing equally in terms of visuals and graphics, it's a win for the PS5 because it's also providing all these other benefits, and that too at $100 less MSRP. Sony's engineering team and Mark Cerny did a wonderful job.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Uh.. I guess there was the NFS Heat remaster too? Everything else in 2021 has been either a draw or an XSX win.

So enjoy this one, no need to go for the « it’s a draw but it’s a win because the hardware is inferior » angle this time.
The only reason these things are given so much attention is because of all of the prerelease talk of the PS5 being underpowered and having 0.00 advantages

PS5 was never going to be weak though

Three

Does it really have to be said that no ray tracing on series x is a bug? It's likely the Series S version of the game was supposed to be missing RT, and the series x inherited the series s setting during development, kinda like that time dirt 5 on series x was using series s settings. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And there are games with ray tracing where Series X still has higher resolution, so I wouldn't make some of the leaps people are to assume that it's the only reason series x leads in resolution. That said, great job by the devs, great game.
This would only make sense if the Series x wasn't also dropping more frames. Could they optimise better in a patch? Sure, but why claim with such certainty that its a bug, and a bug that would also mean no hit to performance?

Last edited:
Really enjoyed the first but not picked this up yet.
An unexpected upgrade with this game but nice to see all the same. I would expect the discrepancies to have nothing to do with the actual hardware, which I'm pretty sure that people know already. Hopefully they will be allowed to come the game and fix the differences and also the problems with the 30fps mode. I mean, it's not as if I would likely use that mode but if it's there then it's better that it's working correctly for everybody.
If that makes me some sort of Xbox "fanboy" (idiotic word), that's good because I think by now it will surely have balanced out all the PlayStation "fanboy" (still a stupid word) accusations and having ALL the "fanboys" (it really does get worse the more that I type it) dislike you is a vbeautiful place to be.🤷‍♂️

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

People need to stop calling the PS5 underpowered. The comparisons have done enough to prove that it isn't. It's not like developers will stop making games for it due to the console being too weak for them.
No one is. Like at all for a year. People just keep saying people are, but it's not true. The only time ps5 is referenced to being weak is by people saying they were told it was going to be weak. That's it for 8 months now.

Last edited:
No one is. Like at all for a year. People just keep saying people are, but it's not true. The only time ps5 is referenced to being weak is by people saying they were told it was going to be weak. That's it for 8 months now.

I still see people say the XSX is far more powerful than the PS5 from time to time.

The XSX is much more powerful than ps5, but because of that, the cost of the hardware is expensive.

Some people honestly believe there's a big difference between the two.

Md Ray

I still see people say the XSX is far more powerful than the PS5 from time to time.

Some people honestly believe there's a big difference between the two.
Yep... Like this person who posted this just a couple of hrs ago:
No, I think performance will be similar to ps4 pro vs one x.
One X and PS4 Pro saw 4K vs 1440p differences consistently. The situation with current-gen PS5/XSX is nowhere near like that.

Exanthus

Banned
This contradicts the inside article they have up

Thanks to the power of the Xbox Series X|S, we have been able to add more details to the environment, from dust particles to real time ray tracing.

Lysandros

I really wonder what perception altering drugs people expecting a PS4 PRO/OneX difference from PS5/XSX are on.. I mean a simple glimps at the specs with only one eye while being completely drunk should be enough to have a basic grasp about the matter.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
shtDEvQ.jpg

Anyone else getting sick of people jacking themselves off over 2 extra frames in a 5 hour period, or 30 extra pixels? Sorry to pick this random thread to gripe, but these keep coming up and the results are really similar each time. If there is a significant difference it's usually a bug that will get patched later. Also the backwards compatibility comparisons... Sigh... Can't wait until covid dies down so we have something worthwhile to discuss.

I really wonder what perception altering drugs people expecting a PS4 PRO/OneX difference from PS5/XSX are on.. I mean a simple glimps at the specs with only one eye while being completely drunk should be enough to have a basic grasp about the matter.

I almost forgot how big the resolution differences can be.

jgxkaam96z701.jpg

Not to mention having 4GBs more ram really helped the One X take the lead.

Kenpachii

shtDEvQ.jpg

Anyone else getting sick of people jacking themselves off over 2 extra frames in a 5 hour period, or 30 extra pixels? Sorry to pick this random thread to gripe, but these keep coming up and the results are really similar each time. If there is a significant difference it's usually a bug that will get patched later. Also the backwards compatibility comparisons... Sigh... Can't wait until covid dies down so we have something worthwhile to discuss.

I cant wait to see actual new generation games. this gen is getting long in the tooth.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It's the first time I hear SSR it's bug ... I don't know why they did it, but it's not a bug, they choice SSR over raytracing on Xbox console. Now of course can replace it with raytracing (at least on series X) but a bug...lol.
You don't understand how a game that has SSR and RT could have a bug that stops the RT from turning on? Really?

What irony for Alex after all his FUD about PS5 lacking hardware RT.
The funniest part of this post is that you think Alex gives 2 shits about consoles, let alone has some sort of grudge against the playstation. He's a PC guy through and through.

Last edited:

Md Ray

RT version looks like shit its blurry as hell the reflections, rather have non RT then, actually see the reflections.
It's more realistic, not blurry. Not every surface has sharp and glossy reflections like a mirror, it depends upon the material. RT reflections on PS5 are proper reflections. The tile floor looks diffused like how it would look in real life under such lighting conditions.
TPHOTMk.png

Last edited:

Kenpachii

It's more realistic, not blurry. Not every surface has sharp and glossy reflections like a mirror, it depends upon the material. RT reflections on PS5 are proper reflections. The tile floor looks diffused like how it would look in real life under such lighting conditions.
TPHOTMk.png

That looks solid, however a lot of reflections in that video just looked blurry. Not sure if i would call it a upgrade.

Witcher 3 on ps4pro runs with black bars on the sides? What's up with that resolution?

No idea but the PS4 Pro was just really weird with some games. I did enjoy the console but some games I had to buy on the One X due to how big the differences were.

This time around I can let the controller be the deciding factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Genx3

Even if the lack of RT on Series is eventually fixed, the PS5 version already has a better framerate while using RT so... Looks like another PS5 win anyway.

Series X version has framerate problems that PS5 version doesn't have, as usual.

You forgot to say the PS5 version runs at a lower resolution as usual.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Well to be fair it's pushing RT which consumes resources. Not saying the XSX won't render the game at a slightly higher resolution though even with RT.
Who cares about the rez really when you can only discern any difference in one specific frame in a sequence of millions. Quintessential diminishing returns.

Genx3

Who cares about the rez really when you can only discern any difference in one specific frame in a sequence of millions. Quintessential diminishing returns.
BS anything under 4K is noticeable.
Stop the nonsense.
4K is crystal clear and practically jaggiless.
The game for some odd reason runs under 4K.
Game is far from impressive graphically so I'm not sure why.

Last edited:
Let's ignore the 12TF / "world's most powerful console" marketing campaign for a second (because that could be a bit console war-ish) and think about it more objectively and based on the different features/strengths of the two consoles.

My two cents are that a draw will be considered a PS5 win because the PS5 spent their GPU budget (36 CUs instead of 52 CUs) elsewhere:
  • Faster SSD (improved loading speeds)
  • Compression tech (smaller file size)
  • DualSense technology (one-of-a-kind experience with haptic feedback and adaptive trigger)
  • PSVR 2 compatibility, etc.
So if the PS5 is performing equally in terms of visuals and graphics, it's a win for the PS5 because it's also providing all these other benefits, and that too at $100 less MSRP. Sony's engineering team and Mark Cerny did a wonderful job.
What if the PS5 is the base platform for development because of their higher installed base? By default every PS5 version of 3rd party games will run well seeing how that was the system it was developed for with Xbox platforms getting a port. This was true last generation as well. Several developers sung the praises of development on the PS5 before it even came out. The power of the Xbox would be meaningless and would hardly be something to celebrate if the PS5 and XSX had parity. There was never a massive delta between current generation consoles and using this title to declare a PlayStation engineering victory is a little strange.

Lysandros

PS5 running at slightly lower resolutions isn't 'that' usual, this isn't the 'norm'.. There are as much if not more games running at same resolutions and even some having higher resolutions on PS5. And RT can easily cost ~20-30% resolution, RT is resource heavy.

Last edited:

Genx3

What if the PS5 is the base platform for development because of their higher installed base? By default every PS5 version of 3rd party games will run well seeing how that was the system it was developed for with Xbox platforms getting a port. This was true last generation as well. Several developers sung the praises of development on the PS5 before it even came out. The power of the Xbox would be meaningless and would hardly be something to celebrate if the PS5 and XSX had parity. There was never a massive delta between current generation consoles and using this title to declare a PlayStation engineering victory is a little strange.
Not only that there is an additional abstraction layer on Xbox so that future Xbox consoles can run the games properly in BC mode with enhancements while PS games are programmed closer to the metal as they say.
This abstraction layer is both a blessing and a curse.
It's a blessing because future consoles will run these games looking even better with significant improvements and a curse because current consoles won't run the game at 100% of it's full capability.

Top Bottom