• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Little Nightmares 2 PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Enhanced Edition - 60FPS! Ray Tracing! Enhanced Features!

ethomaz

Banned
The re-test when Series RT is patched in will be interesting, I wonder what will take a hit? Probably lower DRS count :pie_thinking: Or will it be the fps?
Imagine if they choose SSR over RT because the framerate was tanking.

BTW I don’t understand the DRS on Series because it should drop resolution to maintain flawless framerate but all games shows some issues with framerate even with DRS.

No RT on Series?

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Caio

I love GAF, can't stop smiling reading some of the comments.

I love the art design of this Game, and still not sure if I will play on my XBox One X or wait for Next Gen. I find odd XSX does not have RT. Ok for the little brother XSS, it could be a choise to keep smooth performanca, but XSX has plenty of power in RT. Could be Devs opted for same "lighting setting" for the Series consoles ? We will know very soon I suppose.

Thief1987

It's the first time I hear SSR it's bug ... I don't know why they did it, but it's not a bug, they choice SSR over raytracing on Xbox console. Now of course can replace it with raytracing (at least on series X) but a bug...lol.
Yep, if SSR is there that's because it was implemented for this update, pastgen versions doesn't have it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Maybe some issue with the series x getting the series s settings but at 4k? So strange. Plus seconded what is it with xbox drs settings not working completely as advertised and some random drops happening. It makes 0 sense.

GuinGuin

Banned
Update made by Supermassive, they are independent studio, but they are not that you can call an indie dev. They have over 200 employes according to their site.

That's super massive! Both Supermassive and Tarsier got their start working on LittleBigPlanet DLC according to Wikipedia. This game is 2.5D, right? Looks like they are still putting that LBP knowledge to use.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I've tried a demo back then sometimes, not sure what time it was and it controlled like shit. Maybe now that it run at 60FPS it might be better.

Topher

Gold Member
this thread is hilarious, guaranteed to go entirely dark once the first patch comes in... loving the eagerness of the usual suspect to make hay though... Godspeed you lunatics!

Not how it works. The patch comes in and the dead thread is given entirely new life. It is the same nonsense every single time regardless if the patch is benefitting Xbox or PlayStation. Plenty of lunacy to go around.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So PS5 sacrifices resolution for ray tracing?
Not necessarily.

The particular scene they tested resolution on was a muzzle flash shot where dynamic light sources (from the shotgun) was created. If PlayStation has ray tracing, it is logical that it will have to calculate the effects of all those new ray-traced lightning and ray-traced reflections in real time. Hence, the lower resolution. XSX, on the other hand, did not have to calculate ray tracing effects.

In other scenes, where dynamic ray-traced lightning isn't created in the entire room all of sudden, who knows. For all we know, in those scenes, the resolution could be the same on both consoles. We know the FPS is already (although very slightly) better on the PS5, despite having ray-tracing.

reinking

Gold Member
Not how it works. The patch comes in and the dead thread is given entirely new life. It is the same nonsense every single time regardless if the patch is benefitting Xbox or PlayStation. Plenty of lunacy to go around.
Exactly this. You see people from either side pointing fingers without even realizing they are participating in the behavior they are calling out.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I know it fits the tone/style of this series but having no way to remove chromatic aberration/RGB splitting on console is frustrating as hell to me, this game is soft as heck even at 4K with sharpening (You need to the UE4 TAA to remove distracting aliasing even at 4K) and that effect only makes it softer.

I was going to say I'd play in the 30fps mode to get as much clarity from the soft presenatation as possible but that framepacing is a big no no from me, it happens at literally the worst times, like when the guy is shooting at you, distracting me from the cool moments and making me focus on the tech itself, how did they mess that up?

It doesn't look like there are actually any framedrops really so I feel its adaptive v-sync related because when I tried to use adaptive v-sync on the PC version it just wasn't pleasant to play and tore for seemingly no reason. Maybe for a similar reason as when the frametime spikes here.

Its not like the 60fps mode has severely reduced res anyway, its a great tradeoff for double the framerate.

skit_data

I don't really understand why XSX is having problems with things like RT and texture pop-in a year after its release. Even if the tools things was true I'd had expected to be solved by now
Yup, some say ”the tides have turned” but all I see is inconsistencies from both consoles around a relative equal performance outside of games involving backwards compatibility of some sort

Even if the lack of RT on Series is eventually fixed, the PS5 version already has a better framerate while using RT so... Looks like another PS5 win anyway.
I would assume it will be fixed considering the devs think they shipped it with RT. Also I recall hearing something about counting chickens before hatching.

Garani

Uh.. I guess there was the NFS Heat remaster too? Everything else in 2021 has been either a draw or an XSX win.

So enjoy this one, no need to go for the « it’s a draw but it’s a win because the hardware is inferior » angle this time.
Who started the whole "most powerfull console" rhetoric? Because 12Teratitties are better the 10.3 teratitties (but in reality they are 7 teratitties, and RDNA1.5!!!111!!!!11!!!).

Well, every draw is a PS5 win then. You started that discussion, you won't let it die, you'll live with the results.

Oh, and the Ray Tracing on PS5 is so beautiful to play at 60 fps. Yes, it's hardware RT, and not software likethe FUD spread by whoever.

/sorry for the rant

Bo_Hazem

Banned

- two modes on next gen consoles: beauty, which targets 4K at 30 fps, and performance, which targets 60 fps a5 4K with DRS. RT in both modes, sake visual features.

- Series S: is 1440p max in beauty mode, and lowest the counted is 972p in Performance mode.

- Series X: 4K in beauty mode, in performance mode the lowest they found is 1890p in the same scene as Series S.

- PS5: again, 4K in beauty mode. In performance mode the lowest the found, again same scene, is 1684p.

- The game uses RT reflections on PS5. There seem to be some problem with these reflections on Series consoles, like they've been replaced for standard screen space reflections (despite the devs advertising RT for all next gen consoles). Alex does not think Series X/S are using RT reflections at all. They just don't know whether this is an arror or intended.

-Performance is perfect on PS5, Tom didn't find any drops even in 60 fps mode. Series X is rock solid too but they did encounter a couple of dips not present on PS5. Series S runs at 60 fps flawlessly. The game has some frame pacing issues in 30 fps mode (not too bad).

Another day, another win for PS5.

DJ-Khaled-2.jpg

Top Bottom