• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga - The Digital Foundry Tech Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arioco

Don’t start threads with console war bait

- PS5 and Series X have 2 modes, 30fps and 60 fps, both with a target of 2160p. Series S has the same modes but targets 1296p. All of them use DRS.

- Series X is locked 2160p in 30fps mode and close to locked 2160p in 60fps mode, the lowest they counted was 1800p. Series S doesn't deviate from its 1296p target when running at 30 fps, but in 60 fps mode it can drop occasionally down to 1152p. PS5 at 30 fps can't quite maintain 2160p at all times, it drops to 1872p or so at worst, and in 60 fps mode it frequently runs at 1440p, the lowest they counted being 1296p. In the scene the put as an example Series X is rendering twice the pixels.

- Settings are the same across all three consoles.

- Performance is perfect on all consoles with one exception: for a moment near the beginning of The Force Awakens the frame rate dips on all consoles.

- PS4 runs at native 1080p. Pro used checkerboarding to reach 2160p. Both run at smooth 30 fps with identical settings.

So I guess those full RDNA2 features are finally being used. Sorry, Sony fans, it was nice while it lasted. 👋

Last edited:

ManaByte

Oh boy here we go.

star wars laughing GIF

Looks really nice on XSX but you can see the resolution change very obviously in split screen which DF didn't look at unless I missed it.

Needs a patch or two I think but a really fun game with surprisingly good combat.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
- Series X is locked 2160p in 30fps mode and close to locked 2160p in 60fps mode, the lowest they counted was 1800p. Series S doesn't deviate from its 1296p target when running at 30 fps, but in 60 fps mode it can drop occasionally down to 1152p. PS5 at 30 fps can't quite maintain 2160p at all times, it drops to 1872p or so at worst, and in 60 fps mode it frequently runs at 1440p, the lowest they counted being 1296p. In the scene the put as an example Series X is rendering twice the pixels.

Wow, looks like one of the biggest difference in a multi platform game yet.

Insert jokes about tools and DJ Khaled here.

But it's weird a Lego game has such a stark difference.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Okay is it now when we declare that because of one game that a whole platform is total crap? I forget how this works.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Wow, looks like one of the biggest difference in a multi platform game yet.

Insert jokes about tools and DJ Khaled here.

But it's weird a Lego game has such a stark difference.
Engines are shifting to more compute and asynchronous heavy workloads .. .. old engines benefits from faster clocks more.

Last edited:

sinnergy

This engine is old.
It’s more of a general comment. You don’t know what they adjusted . The guy from TT has a nice YouTube channel in which he explains all kinds of video dev stuff. Even back in the days they pushed hardware .

Last edited:

Schmick

Every time we have a technical comparison it is always about the patches! No matter what. Nothing to do with the hardware always about how patches will bring parity. If its about the software then what's the point of having these comparisons when the games have just been released. Even more so, what's the point of gamers arguing about it and claiming wins!

The best version of a game begins at least 6 months down the line.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Come on folks surely the Series S shouldn't be that close to the PS5 in 60fps.

My amazing technical knowledge theory is. Its been shovelled onto PS5 like at lot of games are shovelled onto Xbox.

ManaByte

Every time we have a technical comparison it is always about the patches! No matter what. Nothing to do with the hardware always about how patches will bring parity. If its about the software then what's the point of having these comparisons when the games have just been released. Even more so, what's the point of gamers arguing about it and claiming wins!

The best version of a game begins at least 6 months down the line.

Same reason people kept pretending the Xbox One had a "stacked GPU" that would be activated to bring parity with the PS4.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This new up to date engine is showing some seriously nice looking materials and effects for lego. It looks so close to the real thing at times.

Last edited:
No mention of the any bugs and glitches this game other the jerky cutscenes?

I've had two crashes to the dashboard, one freeze - which I was able to quit the game from via the Guide - and two black screens during cutscenes where I could hear the audio but see nothing even after they apparently ended, rendering the game all but unplayable as well numerous character bugs, usually during the larger puzzle rooms, where they would continue moving until I switched to another character. I also had one instance of the game getting stuck in a loading loop while exiting a building where it would then reload the interior then the exterior until I managed to switch to another character. I would say this is easily the buggiest game I've played since Cyberpunk 2077 on my PS5 in December 2020.

This is the Xbox Series X version by the way in the 60 FPS mode and after around 18-20 hours playtime. Makes me wonder just how much of the game Oliver actually played for this review. There's no mention for example of the framerate drops (and screen tearing) in the open-world sandbox areas as seen in other YouTube videos; the same ones incidentally that showed the resolution differences between Xbox Series X and PS5 days ago...

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
A lego game that was stuck in dev hell, delayed for 2 years and built on a new engine that has now been dumped

Find a more convincing outlier Riky lol

Every game launched in the last year or so since covid hit has been in development hell. This new engine seems really good for lego games, why are they dropping it? It uses a lot of good tech. I guess they think UE5 will just be easier to find employees across the industry with experience on it? That's what I have heard from a few developer friends. There's so much moving around that it pays off to use an engine that more people will have experience with.

The fact they are wanting to make a large online game makes sense to use unreal. It will be set up to handle online components much better than an engine that's only done local Co op.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom