• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Intel Coffee Lake: Core i5 8400/ i5 8600K Review: Faster Than Last-Gen i7?

Source (Video)
Source (Article)

Do you really need all the power the Core i7 8700K can deliver? Just how much performance do the cheaper i5s offer, and what about overclocking? Here's our extended analysis of the Core i5 8600K and the cheaper, potentially even more exciting Core i5 8400.

Digital Foundry test the new i5 8400 and i5 8600K, these are Intel's 8th Gen Desktop i5 CPUs which have 6 cores!

9YmYtMk.png

YUGHbYJ.png

Shit's impressive. Once the the B360 boards are out, the 8400 will be the go-to CPU for mid-end rigs. Even for higher end rigs, it looks to pair well with a 1080.

Nzyme32

Got an Asus Z370i mitx mobo and the 8600k on the way. Nice to beef up the mitx setup in prep for some 4k lounge fun. Looking like the 8600k will have some good legs on it

The 8400 is pretty compelling but I'd probably pay the extra and go with the 8600K for future-proofing. Not being able to OC would bug me. But for people not interested in overclocking, 8400 looks pretty sweet.

And goddamn at Crysis 3 still gobbling up every CPU thread it can get.

Been saying it since the first reviews started trickling out but the 8400 is the real star of the show. Once the lower end motherboards are out it's price to performance for a gaming rig will be unmatched.

The Ryzen 5 and 3 line were a great step forward for mid range gaming rigs but Intel have surpassed them for gaming.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The 8400 really is the king of these chips.

The 8600K looks really tempting but ill have to see more OC benchmarks and what gains are made over stock clock 8400.

Cuz even with a G-Sync monitor this thing looks like its gonna be a safe cheap bet for a while.

Anyone aiming at 60 - 75Hz its probably a no brainer when it comes to gaming that the i5s are were its at.

Where are those cheaper motherboards god damn it!

Shit's impressive. Once the the B360 boards are out, the 8400 will be the go-to CPU for mid-end rigs. Even for higher end rigs, it looks to pair well with a 1080.

Honestly if you're 4k gaming it will pair well with a 1080ti. Such a configuration will not be seriously challenged on the CPU side unless you're targeting high refresh rate gaming, or the next generation consoles hit and suddenly CPU requirements climb.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Watching this video, I was pretty amazed at how the 8400 occasionally surpasses the 7700K and represents a big leap forward from the 7600K. Between Ryzen and Coffee Lake, it feels like CPUs saw a major boost this year.

jabuseika

Have to wait for the cheap intel 370 motherboard to see if it's worth it.

But it looks like it, just for gaming.

Right now, with a z370, you'll be spending more on a motherboard, and twice the chip cost with ram included.

StereoVsn

Honestly if you're 4k gaming it will pair well with a 1080ti. Such a configuration will not be seriously challenged on the CPU side unless you're targeting high refresh rate gaming, or the next generation consoles hit and suddenly CPU requirements climb.
VR is one thing that can give you pause. Since you really want 90fps capability there a lower end i5 might be a bit detrimental.

Ok, haven’t read any articles on the cpus or mobo, why should we hold out for B or H ones?

Z-series board have features like overclocking and SLI unlocked, and are therefore marked up compared to the cheaper B-series and H-series boards. You also need a K-skew processor to overclock, which the 8400 is not so you're basically wasting money if you pair it with a Z-series board.

Parsnip

The 8600K + mobo + ram upgrades I'm looking right now would set me back about 600€, or more if I get more RAM. Bleh.

I guess the silver lining of the poor availability is that I'm not tempted to buy it because of it.

TheJoRu

I think my i5-6500 will do me just fine for a few more generations, but if I would buy something now I must say the 8400 would be really tempting. Really solid for the price.

Top Bottom