• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Inside FSR 2.0 – The Making of FSR 2.0, AMD's Future Upgrades + the Xbox Connection

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Was looking forward to this one.
It was teased some time ago.
Will edit this post if anything interesting is pointed out.

arent there more important issues , like dx12/UE 4 shader comp stutter , to discuss so a permanent fix is developed
Funny I was just loading up the GPU Open and Inside Unreal talks from The Coalition.
The Coalition seems to have no problem with shader comp stuttering.
So if a discussion is to be had it should be with every dev who actually has that problem.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Was looking forward to this one.
It was teased some time ago.
Will edit this post if anything interesting is pointed out.

Funny I was just loading up the GPU Open and Inside Unreal talks from The Coalition.
The Coalition seems to have no problem with shader comp stuttering.
So if a discussion is to be had it should be with every dev who actually has that problem.
well the coalition need to teach these other people a thing or two ASAP

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
well the coalition need to teach these other people a thing or two ASAP
I really dont understand it, cuz most of The Coalitions branches of Unreal Engine end up lending a bunch of features to the main branch, so id think whatever trickery they are using to not suffer this shit should be main branch by now.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
I really dont understand it, cuz most of The Coalitions branches of Unreal Engine end up lending a bunch of features to the main branch, so id think whatever trickery they are using to not suffer this shit should be main branch by now.
well its not just UE4 either , remember elden ring at launch , other engines have this issue too

Thirty7ven

Banned
LMAO I was expecting the goods and it was just a “yeah sure it’s also specifically optimized for certain platforms and Xbox is one such case” bahahahahaha

Hey fool me, I fell for the title, just bait for the idiots hilarious and they have the nerve to pretend they don’t feed on console warrior bs.

JimboJones

LMAO I was expecting the goods and it was just a “yeah sure it’s also specifically optimized for certain platforms and Xbox is one such case” bahahahahaha

Hey fool me, I fell for the title, just bait for the idiots hilarious and they have the nerve to pretend they don’t feed on console warrior bs.
It was announced as part of the Xbox dev kit so he asked the question about it's implementation.
I think your reading to much into it.

Although Alex didn't ask, Nick's answer was pretty much universal. Especially when you take into account what he said later in the video about not incorporating ML hardware.
AMD has optimized FSR 2.0 for each GPU's inherent performance characteristics. That would include the PS5.

Yes it certainly reminds me of the time when people said the PS5 couldn’t do HW RT. Makes sense to me.

I don't think it's a question of possible, it's currently supported by specific engines which run on PS5 but Sony may not have it as part of their SDK.

That makes sense. It’s like how Sony has Kraken as part of their SDK but Microsoft doesn’t have Kraken as part of theirs. But in theory developers can use Kraken if they wish.

Another One Mtv Emas GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

Lysandros

They sure are expert pretenders.

Forsete

I tried the FSR 2.0 hack with Cyberpunk and I was very impressed by it, considering it is just a hack and not properly optimized for the game.

FSR has a bright future.

Edit: Great interview btw.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
Yes, it's coming to forspoken. It's been confirmed.

Just looks like amd and xbox have worked together to add it to the xbox dev environment now.
Hmm, I prefer DLSS on my pc, hope it’s a great implementation of FSR 2.0 there.

On the second point, I would think working with Xbox is also like working with Windows at the same time for things like DirectX features. Makes sense Xbox would benefit from the relationship.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I love digital foundry for this very reason.

SLB1904

Banned

It's obviously paid advertising. I don't know why people care.

Ozriel

M$FT
“DF has to mention PS5 everytime they talk about Xbox or they’re fanboys!!”

the insecurity on display here is amusing.

Xbox has support for the tech In their SDK. Stands to reason why it’s coming up in a conversation with AMD.

AMD’s made it clear that FSR2 and any near to mid term updates won’t require ML hardware, so the PS5 will be supported too.

Banned
Xbox and AMD continue to work closely together.

Looking forward to seeing fsr 2.0 games when they launch on console properly.

Forspoken will be a great one to check out.

I honestly think we won't see many FSR2.0 games, most devs will continue to use either Unreal Engine's TSR or TAAU... or their own engine's up-sampling which are usually either on par with FSR2.0 or better.

interestingly Ghostwire Tokyo didn't use TSR on PS5 even tho it has TSR implementation on PC...
so render time could also be a factor. it could be that it simply is too taxing to use and devs will opt to just use a simple upscaler like Ghostwire Tokyo did on PS5

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Has Sony made it available as part of their SDK? They are always very quite about it maybe AMD aren't allowed to talk about it publicly.
They don't have to. FSR 1/2 are open source.
It could be that Sony's SDK already has the code for a temporal reconstruction technique of their own. Insomniac has been developing and implementing their own temporal solution for many years, for example.

I honestly think we won't see many FSR2.0 games, most devs will continue to use either Unreal Engine's TSR or TAAU... or their own engine's up-sampling which are usually either on par with FSR2.0 or better.

UE isn't the only engine around, and even for that it's probably just a toggle like it is for TSR:

We'll need to see performance and quality comparisons on TSR vs. FSR2, but if they trade blows between hardware solutions then I don't see why they wouldn't make it available.

Regardless, due to its free and open source nature I think FSR2 will be made available on many indie to smaller AA titles that use lesser-known engines. Especially as it begins being implemented on consoles.

Banned
We'll need to see performance and quality comparisons on TSR vs. FSR2, but if they trade blows between hardware solutions then I don't see why they wouldn't make it available.
Regardless, due to its free and open source nature I think FSR2 will be made available on many indie to smaller AA titles that use lesser-known engines. Especially as it begins being implemented on consoles.

given that Ghostwire Tokyo didn't use TSR, most likely for performance reasons, I don't think it will be that popular with AAA titles. maybe some Indy games will use it for an easy way to optimize performance by simply dropping the internal res

Top Bottom