• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Inside Demon's Souls Remake on PS5: The Bluepoint Technology Breakdown

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Nah I don't think the difference in graphics are worth playing at half the fluidity, everything in 30fps that you're seeing as you circling around trying to get a back stab in blurred out so hides the extra details that may be there.
If they don't have it, some people are going to bitch about it, so why not put it in. It doesn't sound like it was that hard to do. That mode has its uses.

LordOfChaos

They mirror a point from the original Road to PS5 video, that from their perspective they're just working with everything uncompressed in real time, when in reality the SSD is doing the heavy lifting compressing and decompressing things in hardware on the fly, also being able to use more RAM than physical in areas because of the fast swapping. Sounded like a real life hack for developers.

GHG

Gold Member
As beautiful as this game is i can't help but wonder if this will be both the first game all PS5 owners buy with the console but also the first game they rush to Gamestop to trade in for something easier haha ... i LOVE the souls series but casuals generally don't like them at all. I can imagine most Gamestops having an entire wall with used copies of this game come Christmas time :p

Yeh because the shelves were stacked full of used Sekiro copies weeks after release.

How many casuals do you know that are getting a PS5 at launch?

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Cool video. But yeah update the HUD to fit the theme better. The game looks mind blowing, but the HUD looks like it should be in Minecraft.

mortal

Gold Member
This was such an interesting conversation. Ended up learning quite a bit about Bluepoint's design philosophy.
And the Demon's Souls soundtrack sounds so evocative. Playing this one with headphones for that 3D audio will make me feel like I'm an another world entirely.

Sony would be smart to acquire Bluepoint as new additions to PlayStation Studios. I can see them doing some phenomenal work on PS Studios' proprietary engines.
Japan Studio x Bluepoint collaborations would get me excited for just about anything, especially if it were to be an original IP.

Tschumi

I watched a bunch of this video earlier today, I was surprised by how interesting the techbabble was. I then got distracted by a thumbnail for a video about AC Valhalla being buggy as hell.

Lethal01

My only fear is what Bluepoint would do to Yorda's model, because I honestly was not fan of Wander's model in remake.
BufdwPR.jpg

UGH

I love bluepoint, but they really need to learn to model characters that look a but more stylized and inspired by the Japanese games they are basing their work on

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
UGH

I love bluepoint, but they really need to learn to model characters that look a but more stylized and inspired by the Japanese games they are basing their work on
I agree, this is why I sometimes hesitant of them working on Japanese IP for that very reason. I'm fan Japanese games and reason I'm fan because I like their aesthetics and art direction, changing that to be more like a western game is not "upgrade" for me.

UnNamed

Banned
What's missing for it to be a "true next gen game", besides the fact that it is releasing only on a next-gen console?
Old gen techniques in fog, dust (2D?), flames, interaction with the environment, animations.

I'm not saying DeS is bad, on the contrary it's very good and very detailed, but I feel it's just a PS4 PRO PRO game.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Old gen techniques in fog, dust (2D?), flames, interaction with the environment, animations.

I'm not saying DeS is bad, on the contrary it's very good and very detailed, but I feel it's just a PS4 PRO PRO game.
Animations were completely redone, and more animations were added.
It's obvious you didn't even watch the video.

manzo

Like every damn launch game has been. They're all basically just dolled up versions of last gen games.

It's going to be the end of 2021 or H2 2022 when we start to see true next gen games on both systems.

Think of Gears of War on 360, Uncharted 2 on PS3, The Order on PS4 etc.

Ar¢tos

Aaaaand... No. In any case, it's just my opinion.
They fully redid the graphics, the lighting, the animations, added animations, added items/weapons/armors, added some unused content, they fully use the haptics and adaptive triggers for a complete new feel of attacks, blocking and the environment, they re-recorded sounds for 3d audio, re-recorded all the music with new arrangements, re-recorded all dialogue with most of the original voice actors, the things they didn't change weren't changed not because they couldn't but because they didn't want to, to keep the game faithful to the original.
I don't know what else they needed to do for it to still be a remake and at the same time be considered a next-gen game for ultra nitpicky people...
Nintendo has been remaking the same NES game for the past 35 years and I don't hear the same complaints.
Annual sport games improve little over the previous installment (and have a lot less work done) and I don't hear same complaints.

UnNamed

Banned
Like every damn launch game has been. They're all basically just dolled up versions of last gen games.
Not true:

SNES to PSX: polygons, textures, FMV, lighting, environment mapping, pong/goraud shading, blur, skeletal animation.
Example: Ridge Racer, Tekken, Motor Toon, Virtua Fighter, Total Eclipse, Need for Speed.

PSX to PS2/XBOX: huge improve of poligons up to 70times, online, some material effects, cube environment mapping, basic shaders, bump/normal mapping, bloom
Example: Ridge Racer V, Tekken TT,
Azurik, Wrecless, Rogue Squadron

PS2 to PS3: hires, polygon boost, precompute global illumination, particles (fog, voxel clouds), unified shaders, parallax (occlusion) mapping, AO, SSS, physics, dinamica shadows, shadow maps, etc
Example: Perfect Dark, Lair, Warhawk, PGR,

Things changed a bit with the previous gen:
PS3 to PS4: materials done right (skin, hair, leather, glass, tooth, etc), GI, improved physics and AI.
Examples: Killzone, Knack, Battlefield 3, Forza, Ryse

JimiNutz

Banned
Sounds like they did an incredible job and I'll def be playing at 60fps.

Bluepoint continue to prove that they're a very talented studio. They would make for a great acquisition for someone.

manzo

Not true:

SNES to PSX: polygons, textures, FMV, lighting, environment mapping, pong/goraud shading, blur, skeletal animation.
Example: Ridge Racer, Tekken, Motor Toon, Virtua Fighter, Total Eclipse, Need for Speed.

PSX to PS2/XBOX: huge improve of poligons up to 70times, online, some material effects, cube environment mapping, basic shaders, bump/normal mapping, bloom
Example: Ridge Racer V, Tekken TT,
Azurik, Wrecless, Rogue Squadron

PS2 to PS3: hires, polygon boost, precompute global illumination, particles (fog, voxel clouds), unified shaders, parallax (occlusion) mapping, AO, SSS, physics, dinamica shadows, shadow maps, etc
Example: Perfect Dark, Lair, Warhawk, PGR,

Things changed a bit with the previous gen:
PS3 to PS4: materials done right (skin, hair, leather, glass, tooth, etc), GI, improved physics and AI.
Examples: Killzone, Knack, Battlefield 3, Forza, Ryse

I'll give you the generations until PS3/360. From then, my point stands.

CobraXT

Banned
One interesting part is when the discussion moved onto SSDs, Bluepoint mentioned streaming 3-4GB/s of compressed data and how doing this in software was simply not possible. Making use of PS5's hardware decompression block very well so early on to really push fidelity! (I was told that the SSD would not help with "graphics" at all).

UE5 Demo "which have denser environment and much better assets quality" peaked at just 768 Mb/s of data, i don't believe this game require constant streaming of 3-4 Gb/s of data all the time maybe in the beginning to accelerate loading

UE5 Demo "which have denser environment and much better assets quality" peaked at just 768 Mb/s of data, i don't believe this game require constant streaming of 3-4 Gb/s of data all the time maybe in the beginning to accelerate loading

It's the way they designed the game. Areas are split into chunks (of obvious high fidelity), so they need to stream a lot of data as you approach corners. They don't keep a lot of cold data in RAM so they can maximize what appears on screen.

Last edited:
Is all or most of the audio re-done? Seems so, but it’s really close, so I’m not too sure on the all the voices.

‘it’s a fantastic game, pretty addicting and fun. The loading time is insane.

I'm pretty sure all the voice actors re-did their parts. Which is cool. The original parts are classic. But it is equally cool to have the same people reading new parts.

Really getting the itch to play this again, after 100%ing it when it came out. Caught some video of it and it looked gorgeous as always.

Tempest Audio?
Higher quality audio can actually be streamed in because the SSD is so fast something people never really thought about.
3D positional audio obviously in, full 360 degree directional audio.
Accurate enough to hear exactly where an arrow is coming from before it even hits you.
Dev feels headphones are better for this make sure to set it up correctly, its totally worth it.

I only play with the Pulse 3D and the quality of the audio in DS is out of this world. Ambiant sounds and 3D audio positioning :messenger_smiling_hearts:
The game successfully tricked me into turning my physical head to the left when I heard somebody talking to me, it turns out that it was an NPC (Satsuki) who had suddenly appeared in the 4-1 area.

I had never had this kind of experiences before in more than 30 years of gaming (Nintendo, Super NES, Megadrive, Arcade, Playstation 1, and multiple PCs). Needless to say that I don't look at my PS5 the same way now.

DS, not Astrobot, is also the game which turned me into a huge fan of haptic feedback. IMHO, haptic feedback is at its best with tense, challenging, horror games where the stakes are high.

Bluepoint really did an incredible job.

FrankWza

I only play with the Pulse 3D and the quality of the audio in DS is out of this world. Ambiant sounds and 3D audio positioning :messenger_smiling_hearts:
The game successfully tricked me into turning my physical head to the left when I heard somebody talking to me, it turns out that it was an NPC (Satsuki) who had suddenly appeared in the 4-1 area.

I had never had this kind of experiences before in more than 30 years of gaming (Nintendo, Super NES, Megadrive, Arcade, Playstation 1, and multiple PCs). Needless to say that I don't look at my PS5 the same way now.

DS, not Astrobot, is also the game which turned me into a huge fan of haptic feedback. IMHO, haptic feedback is at its best with tense, challenging, horror games where the stakes are high.

The dragon bridge is video game reference level audio that you can calibrate to. Not just the dragons above but also the archers and dungeons below before you unlock it near the double blue knights.
Also, using storm ruler for storm king is amazing and 100% next gen audio

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Never played a Battlefield game with their 3D preset?

Skifi28

Haptics are also some of the best out there. I picked up the Dragon Bonesmasher and every time I swing the thing and it hits the ground, I FEEL it in my bones, like the feedback from such a heavy weapon hurts me too (of course it doesn't). Not sure how to describe it, but it's an amazing experience.

My only complaint with the game is I feel they should have updated some of the archaic mechanics. They could have included a "purist" mode too while modernizing some stuff. Oh well.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Anyone with a big TV end up flipping between 60fps and Graphics mode?
Stresses me out, graphics mode has visibly more detail and depth to the image.

Just seems there is more to the image even though the 60fps mode still looks great and has that smooth movement it’s lacking that polish and wow factor.

Wish they stuck to one option and didn’t bother with the other mode or lower res to get the detail and 60fps unless of course the detail comes from the higher res....

LG C9 (65”)

sncvsrtoip

Just seems there is more to the image even though the 60fps mode still looks great and has that smooth movement it’s lacking that polish and wow factor.

Wish they stuck to one option and didn’t bother with the other mode or lower res to get the detail and 60fps unless of course the detail comes from the higher res....

LG C9 (65”)
resolution bump is visible on npc faces and shame bluepoint didn't use/implement dynamic resolution in their engine tough I think 30fps is not playable in this game

Last edited:

LG C9 (65”)

Absolutely not. This game performance mode should be the only option. It looks beautiful in that mode and the drop in framerate is hugely noticeable and feels almost unplayable after spending a significant amount of time in the default performance mode.

Never played a Battlefield game with their 3D preset?
Never been a fan of Battlefield, alas.

I also heard the sounds and 3D audio in the latest Resident Evil demo for PS5 were outstanding. I think I am going to try out this one later down the road, even though the demo/game looks very linear which is not my cup of tea.

FunkMiller

Absolutely not. This game performance mode should be the only option. It looks beautiful in that mode and the drop in framerate is hugely noticeable and feels almost unplayable after spending a significant amount of time in the default performance mode.

I never thought I'd say this, but 30fps is basically ruined for me after playing so many games at 60fps on my Ps5. I tried playing Revenant From The Ashes at 30fps and it was awful. DeS was a bit better because of the graphics fidelity, but it just feels so stuttery, slow and weird in comparison.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Best next gen game right now.

Which is a good indicator of how lame next gen has been so far. A remake that doesn't offer a generational leap at all, even with it's corridor like scenarios with super low NPC count that should have made the game look much much better. RDR2 on PC beats it's ass for Christmas and it's not even close.

As Jim Ryan said, seems we'll have to wait until 2022 to see actual next gen games.

Azurro

Banned
OK. I'm curious and not trying to start some debate on graphics, but what about the graphics specifically are you claiming better than the other games on the next-gen consoles?

You are so transparent, you are starting your little speech on how a Sony exclusive is doing nothing impressive technically and will toss any random PC game as a better looking game.

Nobody tells you anything when you hail Watch Dogs Legion, a very last gen game that runs on a toaster but has some ray tracing as the best graphics ever, let people be impressed with one of the few actual next gen games.

Last edited:
It is the best in gameplay, story, audio, and graphics.

Name another current gen game topping it in any of these categories.

Although maybe you think Flight Simulator has the best story and gameplay ever.

Top Bottom