• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Horizon Zero Dawn PC: An Amazing Game Gets A Disappointing Port

DeaDPo0L84

Ya.. this is probably the first & last ps4 port for a Sony studio game

I'm glad you're here to let us know you're concerned /s.

You've been shitting up any and every Horizon PC thread with childish comments when people who are actually playing the game simply want to discuss and share their experience or tell others ways that might fix certain issues.

Move the fuck on, how the hell are you not embarrassed to have that tag and not trying harder to be a better forum poster? Contribute,don't be an annoying brat leaving dumb ass drive by post that add NOTHING to the topic at hand.

Last edited:

DanEON

I solved the stutter issue by desabling vsync in nvidia control panel. You can then use the in-game vsync or just leave it off like I did (gsync monitor).
Game is so smooth now. No stutter at all.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Why is this happening mate???????

You’ve always said PS4 exclusives were just made on a PC then downscaled to work on a lowly console ???????

Should be an easy fix, no??????

😝

Of course that's true. How else are they going to build the game on a console?

I have never had the game crash on me though. I tend to concur with P psorcerer . The write-backs to CPU memory could be a cause of frame pacing issues. The game is doing a lot with the procedural system. I'm starting to get hitches forcing 16X anisotropic filtering. The game has a LOT of textures to filter..

VFXVeteran

Banned
I solved the stutter issue by desabling vsync in nvidia control panel. You can then use the in-game vsync or just leave it off like I did (gsync monitor).

It's MUCH smoother at 30FPS lock (vsync off - both nvidia control panel and in game) than any other FPS setting.

DeaDPo0L84

Played for another hour, I have dips in fps when going into a camp and the fighting/weather starts. Also it dips for a quick second when entering a new location. But for the majority of the time it stays consistently at 60fps. I trust GG will want to get everything fixed since this is their baby.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Played for another hour, I have dips in fps when going into a camp and the fighting/weather starts. Also it dips for a quick second when entering a new location. But for the majority of the time it stays consistently at 60fps. I trust GG will want to get everything fixed since this is their baby.

I would hope so. It's their first new i.p. that has people excited. Killzone was always a shit halo wannabe and it was nice to see the team with obviously very talented artist branch out and make something unique. I'd doubt they'd want to leave a whole community so much ammunition to dog pile on a good game hampered by such a shit port.

Got it downloaded, but haven't had any time to actually play it.

Lanrutcon

I want to add, despite the performance hiccups, I am having a blast.

I dig these games where you wander around a world in a state of post-humanity. Seeing a field of rusted tank hulks, or the broken traffic lights of an ancient intersection is neat. Loved this in Destiny too.

Dr.D00p

Well congratulations HZD, if nothing else, you have officially become the first big PC game that has actually made use of my 32GB system RAM.

nOZZbXD.jpg

TriSuit666

Banned

I tend to find using half rate solves stutters, otherwise I'll still get tearing.

DanEON

It's MUCH smoother at 30FPS lock (vsync off - both nvidia control panel and in game) than any other FPS setting.
Well, 30fps on PC it's a big no for me. It can have a better frame pace, but it's like playing in slow motion, specially in a game that you have mouse aiming. The game it's absolutely smooth here at 1440p and 60-80fps.

GHG

Gold Member
Well, 30fps on PC it's a big no for me. It can have a better frame pace, but it's like playing in slow motion, specially in a game that you have mouse aiming. The game it's absolutely smooth here at 1440p and 60-80fps.

Yeh when I tried it at 4k 30fps it was nauseating.

This game controls surprisingly well with mouse and keyboard. Something feels off with the controller support on PC though.

Well congratulations HZD, if nothing else, you have officially become the first big PC game that has actually made use of my 32GB system RAM.

nOZZbXD.jpg
Doesn’t even use it. Just allocates it. Games tend to allocate a huge chunk of whatever memory available. It uses about 11-12GB out of my 16GB. Runs great.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

I have never had the game crash on me though. I tend to concur with P psorcerer . The write-backs to CPU memory could be a cause of frame pacing issues. The game is doing a lot with the procedural system. I'm starting to get hitches forcing 16X anisotropic filtering. The game has a LOT of textures to filter..

It was joke mate :p

Pakoe

Gold Member
Did yall try this:

In combination with the hotfix'd drivers:

Or SpecialK:

Last edited:

molly14

Why is this happening mate???????

You’ve always said PS4 exclusives were just made on a PC then downscaled to work on a lowly console ???????

Should be an easy fix, no??????

😝

He also said the pc version of HZD will look and run miles better than the next HZD game on PS5

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
Just wondering if the people who think this port is shit really own the game, or if they play on the pc very much - because I can easily name a hundred games that were nowhere near this good looking, and nowhere near this well-optimized.

Off the top of my head.... Just Cause 4, for example. I can’t count the number of PC games I’ve given up on because they were broken.

This game isn’t one of them.

sendit

Just wondering if the people who think this port is shit really own the game, or if they play on the pc very much - because I can easily name a hundred games that were nowhere near this good looking, and nowhere near this well-optimized.

Off the top of my head.... Just Cause 4, for example. I can’t count the number of PC games I’ve given up on because they were broken.

This game isn’t one of them.

I'm not trying to dog this port as I've already beaten it on the PS4 Pro and have roughly 5 hours on the PC version. But:

PC (no snow deformation/hair physics)

PS4

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
I'm not trying to dog this part as I've already beaten it on the PS4 Pro and have roughly 5 hours on the PC version. But:

PS4

That’s a glitch. I was referring to the people who are calling this a shit port. It isn’t. Don’t ask me to name all the games that were way worse than this game at launch because the list would be too numerous.

That said, they should fix the snow... and the hair? Personally it doesn’t bug me because I didn’t even know about it. This game is damned good looking at 4K, IMO.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

That’s a glitch. I was referring to the people who are calling this a shit port. It isn’t. Don’t ask me to name all the games that were way worse than this game at launch because the list would be too numerous.

That said, they should fix the snow... and the hair? Personally it doesn’t bug me because I didn’t even know about it. This game is damned good looking at 4K, IMO.
the hair doesnt bother you...it bothers me....to have a fucked up port that has so many issues...crashing, memory leaks, stuttering...are just the tip of the iceberg. No snow deformation, hair physics not working, character going ooff center, MASSIVE pop in, jaggies everywhere even in 4k, extreme sharpening, graphic options not working, fucked up HDR, fucked up framepacing, fucked up full screen, i mean shit..i could go on..its disgusting, DARK SOULS prepare to die edition was a better port than this. People like you underplaying the severity of releaseing a game worth 40 bucks, being released in such a state are part of the problem. When this happened to batman arkham knight, the game was recalled for months and fixed. nothing is being done here by the devs so far.

and this is coming from a guy that has a 10900k, 32gb ram, 2080ti, and havent had a single crash...but ive had every other issue and its fucking whack.

Last edited:

Stuart360

the hair doesnt bother you...it bothers me....to have a fucked up port that has so many issues...crashing, memory leaks, stuttering...are just the tip of the iceberg. No snow deformation, hair physics not working, character going ooff center, MASSIVE pop in, jaggies everywhere even in 4k, extreme sharpening, graphic options not working, fucked up HDR, fucked up framepacing, fucked up full screen, i mean shit..i could go on..its disgusting, DARK SOULS prepare to die edition was a better port than this. People like you underplaying the severity of releaseing a game worth 40 bucks, being released in such a state are part of the problem. When this happened to batman arkham knight, the game was recalled for months and fixed. nothing is being done here by the devs so far.

and this is coming from a guy that has a 10900k, 32gb ram, 2080ti, and havent had a single crash...but ive had every other issue and its fucking whack.
Yeah the port has a lot of problems, its not some myth or something. I mean i was getting so fed up of frammerate drops, so i locked to 30fps, and the game transformed. All the low rez textures were gone, the flashing graphics, weird artifacts were gone. Its obvious to me that the game was designed for 30fps. And people will say 'i'm playing at 60+fps and havent noticed problems', well lock the game to 30fps and then look again.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Guys i just remembered something i meant to ask yesterday. I'm about 18 hours in, a lot of that spent on side content, and i just wondered how you uprade your spear, and where can you buy a new one?. I can buy bows and slighshots and all this other stuff, but not a spear. I watched a bit of CohCarnage playing the game and he was able to upgrade his spear, yet on my game the spear doesnt even show up oin the modify section.
Is there like a certain mission you need to do or something?

Shmunter

I'm not trying to dog this port as I've already beaten it on the PS4 Pro and have roughly 5 hours on the PC version. But:

PS4

Wow, that’s a lame downgrade. Hopefully they patch it in, it’s one of hallmarks

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Guys i just remembered something i meant to ask yesterday. I'm about 18 hours in, a lot of that spent on side content, and i just wondered how you uprade your spear, and where can you buy a new one?. I can buy bows and slighshots and all this other stuff, but not a spear. I watched a bit of CohCarnage playing the game and he was able to upgrade his spear, yet on my game the spear doesnt even show up oin the modify section.
It's dlc only. It's not a melee game so you get just one spear. Dlc added some minor changes after people bitched about it.

Stuart360

It's dlc only. It's not a melee game so you get just one spear. Dlc added some minor changes after people bitched about it.
Oh really?, weird as i'm sure he wasnt in the dlc section when he upgraded his spear. The Frozen Wilds dlc is the top right area right?

Lanrutcon

There's a level 4 quest near the start that upgrades the spear to blue quality, and then a quest near the start of the DLC area that upgrades it further and adds slot(s?).

Stuart360

There's a level 4 quest near the start that upgrades the spear to blue quality, and then a quest near the start of the DLC area that upgrades it further and adds slot(s?).
Oh i'll keep an eye out then as i'm about to go to that area as the last couple of collectables on my map are near the start of the dlc area.

Fox the Sly

Is anyone else having controller issues with this game? The game refuses to work with my DS4 and Xbox One controllers. I've set them up in Steam, tested them in other games, tried Big Picture Mode, wired and wireless... nothing. I even tried uninstalling one or the other just in case there's a conflict. Still nothing.

Siri

Banned

I’m not experiencing any of these issues - apart from the snow thing, which I didn’t even know about.

idrago01

Banned
I’m not experiencing any of these issues - apart from the snow thing, which I didn’t even know about.
same here, i had to tone down my overclock after it crashed once, but otherwise it's fine, I do think that it's bullshiet if they took away anything from the PS4 game i.e. the hair or snow imprints and that should be corrected

ClosBSAS

Cause ur not paying attention. I understand ppl may not look at hair physics, but trust me, you're experiencing a broken port. A far cry from what the game could really look like on pc.

Md Ray

Is anyone else having controller issues with this game? The game refuses to work with my DS4 and Xbox One controllers. I've set them up in Steam, tested them in other games, tried Big Picture Mode, wired and wireless... nothing. I even tried uninstalling one or the other just in case there's a conflict. Still nothing.
PS4 controller (wired) here. It works perfectly fine. I've forced disabled (unchecked) both my X360 and PS4 configuration support under Steam's "Controller Settings" in Big Picture mode. Try this.

H8iU1OT.png

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
Cause ur not paying attention. I understand ppl may not look at hair physics, but trust me, you're experiencing a broken port. A far cry from what the game could really look like on pc.

Ugh.

I’ve bought hundreds of games at launch on Steam - and well over a hundred times I’ve had to give up on a game because it was broken. I know what a broken game is. It’s a little condescending to tell me I’m playing a broken game, but that I’m not observant enough to realize it!

Horizon Zero Dawn, for me, is running at a constant 60 FPS, without frame-time issues, crashes, or stuttering. The game looks incredible at 4K. HDR, which you say is fucked up, is one of the better examples I’ve seen. This game, for me, is running better than most games do at launch.

If this is a bad port... then give me more bad ports?

Pejo

Just throwing a thanks out there to those of you posting performance issues/temporary fixes. I'm holding off on buying the game until they patch it, so I'm keeping my eyes on this thread.

PaintTinJr

PS4

In games like Lost Planet I believe the snow deformation is from a pre-baked list, so it was probably just a GPU side shader FX giving limited pre-set visuals. Looking at the PS4 footage, this might be a physics simulation on the CPU/GPU that relies on the unified memory to eliminate data latency in the simulation. It might be a case that the only way to achieve something similar on PC will require them to develop a separate Lost Planet fx to bring snow deformation to the PC - because even at the speed of PCIexpress, unified RAM is a hard solution to match, with zero data copying.

Although, snow deformation is present in Death Stranding, and I presume that feature is definitely in the PC port, yes?

PaintTinJr

In which generation did that change?

I haven't been in a studio since the PS2/Dreamcast/N64 Era, and back then, all the games were developed as a low visual fidelity version on PC and the console specific builds pushing the graphics were just cross-compile from the PC and uploaded and previewed direct on a devkit - although the studio was console only for their main game, and the other strategy game upstairs was PC only.

idrago01

Banned
In games like Lost Planet I believe the snow deformation is from a pre-baked list, so it was probably just a GPU side shader FX giving limited pre-set visuals. Looking at the PS4 footage, this might be a physics simulation on the CPU/GPU that relies on the unified memory to eliminate data latency in the simulation. It might be a case that the only way to achieve something similar on PC will require them to develop a separate Lost Planet fx to bring snow deformation to the PC - because even at the speed of PCIexpress, unified RAM is a hard solution to match, with zero data copying.

Although, snow deformation is present in Death Stranding, and I presume that feature is definitely in the PC port, yes?
There was also snow deformation in Rise of the tomb raider

ClosBSAS

Ugh.

I’ve bought hundreds of games at launch on Steam - and well over a hundred times I’ve had to give up on a game because it was broken. I know what a broken game is. It’s a little condescending to tell me I’m playing a broken game, but that I’m not observant enough to realize it!

Horizon Zero Dawn, for me, is running at a constant 60 FPS, without frame-time issues, crashes, or stuttering. The game looks incredible at 4K. HDR, which you say is fucked up, is one of the better examples I’ve seen. This game, for me, is running better than most games do at launch.

If this is a bad port... then give me more bad ports?
you are playing the game the same way i am. no stutters no crashes, that doesnt mean the game is not broken...it has graphic options missing, not working, straight up, forcing me to play at 30fps so i can enojy the physics is not my idea of a good port. Sorry. Maybe we have different ideas of what a good port is. Death Stranding is a good port, same engine..dlss 2.0, 4k 60fps on a fucking 2060. I hit 57fps on a 2080ti, 10900k 32gb ram on horizon. The game is not that demanding.

enable 30 fps to see physics, so then you dont see the body going at 60, but the head at 30...wtf is that? i am glad you get to accept the game the way it is, i did for a while too, i did play it for 9 hours so far. Then i saw the other issues that day after day keep popping up and i realized i am not seeing the best version of the game, hell, the ps4 pro version runs and looks better with no pop in.

so yes, i will wait...you enjoy it, nobody is saying you cant...all i am saying is that being blind to the massive issues the port has, weather you experience them or not is not the way to go.

TriSuit666

Banned
you are playing the game the same way i am. no stutters no crashes, that doesnt mean the game is not broken...it has graphic options missing, not working, straight up, forcing me to play at 30fps so i can enojy the physics is not my idea of a good port. Sorry. Maybe we have different ideas of what a good port is. Death Stranding is a good port, same engine..dlss 2.0, 4k 60fps on a fucking 2060. I hit 57fps on a 2080ti, 10900k 32gb ram on horizon. The game is not that demanding.

enable 30 fps to see physics, so then you dont see the body going at 60, but the head at 30...wtf is that? i am glad you get to accept the game the way it is, i did for a while too, i did play it for 9 hours so far. Then i saw the other issues that day after day keep popping up and i realized i am not seeing the best version of the game, hell, the ps4 pro version runs and looks better with no pop in.

so yes, i will wait...you enjoy it, nobody is saying you cant...all i am saying is that being blind to the massive issues the port has, weather you experience them or not is not the way to go.

The facial animations was captured at 30fps apparently.

T-Cake

The facial animations was captured at 30fps apparently.

The whole game was designed around that 30fps limit. No wonder it's a mess when trying to exceed it on PC. That's why even the performance mode on PS4 Pro didn't have 60fps or unlocked frame rate.

I don't think in a million years that Guerrilla thought the game would ever end up on PC.

Last edited:

Shmunter

The whole game was designed around that 30fps limit. No wonder it's a mess when trying to exceed it on PC. That's why even the performance mode on PS4 Pro didn't have 60fps or unlocked frame rate.

I don't think in a million years that Guerrilla thought the game would ever end up on PC.
Well there is a PS5 coming, you’d think they’d get their shit in order to do a proper patch for faster hardware.

Top Bottom