• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Horizon Zero Dawn PC: An Amazing Game Gets A Disappointing Port

geordiemp

I don't think they rewrote that algorithm. That's just a lot of code to do that with. The coherent RAM isn't a problem either since most GPUs on PC have more RAM available than the current gen consoles.

GPGPU for procedural foliage is just a hardware accelerated scattering of geometry instances. The low level API isn't any kind of speedup over Vulkan as it's low-level too.

Its not amount of RAM, its Coherent RAM, remember ps4 also has coherency capability and detail below

Is this game Vulkan ?

psorcerer

Banned
I don't think they rewrote that algorithm. That's just a lot of code to do that with. The coherent RAM isn't a problem either since most GPUs on PC have more RAM available than the current gen consoles.

GPGPU for procedural foliage is just a hardware accelerated scattering of geometry instances. The low level API isn't any kind of speedup over Vulkan as it's low-level too.

Bottomline: I don't think there's any specific hardware specific algorithm that isn't done on any other 3rd party development game for PS. All of these games require brute force rendering on the PC side of things.

They generate a point cloud of the terrain detail on GPU and then transfer it to CPU to use in vertex/index buffers for object rendering. The GPU->CPU synchronization path is never used in PC games AFAIR and probably DX12 is pretty ill suited for that.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Let me listen to the whole talk on the procedural placement. I don't think their algorithm is specific to just PS hardware.

rickyEGM

Banned
Can we please stop saying Guerrilla ported this game....because they DIDN'T. Also aside from the mediocre port I'm pretty sure Death Stranding doesn't have as much going on as HZD does.
death stranding shits all over HZD. HZD can't even wipe death stranding's ass nibba.

bilderberg

Switching from borderless back to full screen fixed my stuttering. Doesn't fix the crashing though. Did they even play this game before releasing it?

Stuart360

death stranding shits all over HZD. HZD can't even wipe death stranding's ass nibba.
I love the way HZD has gone so down in certain peoples minds, since going multiplatform.
Anyway HZD def has a lot more going on than Death Stranding, which is pretty much an empty world, beautiful, but empty.
As for the port, well i'm just glad i got the game cheap because if Sony/GG were willing to go on the cheap with the port, and employ a studio that by all accounts has done poor jobs before, why would i want to pay full price for a game in this state?.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
I am quite on the fence about refunding this game. I have pre ordered it at a dirt cheap price (basically 75% of the current price thanks to the pricing error it once had) Any ETA on patches?

Malakhov

Banned
Gave it a shot, my 2070 does not like 2560x1040 on High. It's smooth until the fighting starts or you enter a populated area, then the drops start. But even on standard 1080 on High, it feels jittery. Cutscenes feel weird, physics go a little nuts, there's flickering shadows, there's framedrops when cutscenes start, sometimes when dialogue starts, etc.

Feels like it's being held together by a spit and a prayer.
That's very weird. I get 50fps in 1080p with everything on high with a rx470 with ultra models on. What's your cpu?

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
They generate a point cloud of the terrain detail on GPU and then transfer it to CPU to use in vertex/index buffers for object rendering. The GPU->CPU synchronization path is never used in PC games AFAIR and probably DX12 is pretty ill suited for that.

Yea, I see that. Going from GPU->CPU is an odd pipeline. I wouldn't think that this has anything to do with the PS hardware though. It's probably a custom pipeline within the renderer that should work for any platform.

VFXVeteran

Banned
That procedural pipeline is very powerful. I can tell those guys love the Houdini application. It's hard to grasp, but when you do, it's extremely powerful. I don't see them redesigning this system at all for HFW. It works beautifully and definitely artist friendly.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
I have 32gb and not seen the game go over 12gb yet. I have seen reports of the game having a memory leak, but it hasnt shown on Rivatuner yet for me.

I am unable to see the GPU stats with EVGA X1 Precision. I'm not sure why my toggle of the OSD key isn't working. I even turned off the overlay in steam.

psorcerer

Banned
Yea, I see that. Going from GPU->CPU is an odd pipeline. I wouldn't think that this has anything to do with the PS hardware though. It's probably a custom pipeline within the renderer that should work for any platform.

Because of unified RAM on console the detail generation step costs them nothing.
On PC it will incur a GPU->CPU sync penalty...
They probably could rewrite it for PC CPU. But it may be a lot of work.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Because of unified RAM on console the detail generation step costs them nothing.
On PC it will incur a GPU->CPU sync penalty...
They probably could rewrite it for PC CPU. But it may be a lot of work.

Yeap, I can see that - copying from GPU to CPU memory. But I dont' think it's the cause of these frame-pacing issues on the game. It could be the case, but I think we'd see it no matter what FPS. At 30FPS locked, it runs really smoothly no matter what's presented.

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
Yeap, I can see that. But I dont' think it's the cause of these frame-pacing issues on the game. At 30FPS locked, it runs really smoothly no matter what's presented.

On 30 fps GPU has much more time to sync.
Like 2x the time. Sync is all about latency of a cache flush. Therefore something that you can get away with in a 32ms frame you may utterly miss in a 16ms one. And they probably don't even do it each frame.

VFXVeteran

Banned
On 30 fps GPU has much more time to sync.
Like 2x the time. Sync is all about latency of a cache flush. Therefore something that you can get away with in a 32ms frame you may utterly miss in a 16ms one. And they probably don't even do it each frame.

Yea, if that's the case, I don't see them rewriting that code. That's a lot of redesign. I guess they could wrap the "Copy" code around another layer for portablity reasons.

Last edited:

sendit

I'm curious to see what you think of the quality of rendering at 4k max settings. It's really a good looking game.

My setup isn’t qualified to make any opinions on that. I have a 1080p panel that runs at 240hz (Link)no HDR. When it comes to PC gaming, I am generally biased towards a superior input for aiming (mouse and keyboard) and the fine tuning I can do with the graphic settings to increase my overall frame rate. I’m running this game at well over 100 FPS with a 2080 Ti at 1080p with a mixture of medium to ultra settings.

Mouse and keyboard has actually made Ultra difficulty pretty easy for me.

waylo

Banned
Game runs alright for me. Using the ultra preset at 1440p and my 3800X/2060 is getting anywhere from 40-60 FPS. I feel like G-Sync probably helps me a lot as well. Not noticing any stuttering of the sort. Also, not a crash yet (roughly two hours in). Can't wait to play some more when I get home from work tonight.

How?

I see that someone found a trojan-horse in the Nexus file. I’d like to fix 21:9 myself.

1. Download the hex editor here: https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/
2. Launch the HxD
3. File>Open
4. Locate the HZD exe file located in "\steamapps\common\Horizon Zero Dawn" and open it
5. In HxD at the top click Search>Replace
6. Select the tab Hex-values in the search box
7. In the "Search for" field, enter 39 8E E3 3F
8. In the "Replace by" field you have to select the appropriate value listed at the end of the post. Make sure to set "Search direction" on the right-hand side to "All"
9. Click "Replace All"
10. Click File>Save or Save As, basically, it changed the hex values of the exe and we have to replace the old exe with our edited one

*Note: This doesn't fix the title screen. It'll still be blurry on the sides but all in-game cutscenes should be fixed by this.

21:9 Resolutions:
2560x1080 = 26 B4 17 40
3440x1440 = 8E E3 18 40
3840x1600 = 9A 99 19 40
5120x2160 = 26 B4 17 40
6880x2880 = 8E E3 18 40

32:9 Resolutions:
3840x1080 = 39 8E 63 40
3840x1440 = AB AA 2A 40
5120x1440 = 39 8E 63 40

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
I’ve spent quite a bit of time in the area you explore before you go to the proving. I’m wondering if this is a Hinterlands situation, and I should get the hell out of there? It’s a fascinating area. I’m also learning how the game works. This is much more.... cerebral than I thought.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time in the area you explore before you go to the proving. I’m wondering if this is a Hinterlands situation, and I should get the hell out of there? It’s a fascinating area. I’m also learning how the game works. This is much more.... cerebral than I thought.
Nah it isn’t. You won’t stay stuck there for 15 hours. Maybe 2 at most.

psorcerer

Banned
The game uses a mixture of DX11 and DX12 devices.
Probably was in the middle of a DX11 to DX12 port.
That's why it's not Vulkan.
Interesting to see what's going on in Death Stranding.

Aja

Neo Member
I've played for some 10-15 hours right now. Not a single crash so far but it is stuttering a bit now and then. I play on a 1440 144hz monitor. AMD adrenalin says I'm getting like 74 frames avarage with the settings I have.

I play on a ryzen 3800x with nitro 5700xt card and 16 gigs of 3600 (oc'd) RAM. Game is installed on my ssd.
Works good on my end but some better aliasing would not hurt and the game looks kinda washed out I think.

I have fun though!

TriSuit666

Banned

You can spend quite a bit of time there, but the plot opens up naturally and you'll feel when it's right to move on.

ratburger

I was having the texture flickering issue when I forced 16x anisotropic filtering in the Nvidia Control Panel. Deleting the PSOCache.bin file in the "install path\Horizon Zero Dawn\LocalCacheDX12\" folder to force a shader cache rebuild fixed it though.

Siri

Banned
To make this game sing you really need a constant 60 FPS and an HDR display - I think this is a game that just isn’t going to cut it on an inferior PC.

At the very least you need Gsync. Also, speaking of HDR, anybody who thinks it’s just a gimmick only has to see it enabled in this game. It’s transformative.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Yea, if that's the case, I don't see them rewriting that code. That's a lot of redesign. I guess they could wrap the "Copy" code around another layer for portablity reasons.

Why is this happening mate???????

You’ve always said PS4 exclusives were just made on a PC then downscaled to work on a lowly console ???????

Should be an easy fix, no??????

😝

Last edited:

Arun1910

Glad i forgot to pre order this despite looking forward to it.

Hopefully we get some patches because this is a very bad look.

Lanrutcon

That's very weird. I get 50fps in 1080p with everything on high with a rx470 with ultra models on. What's your cpu?

i9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2070 Super, running off an SSD. 1080p on ultra is butter, 2560 × 1440 on high is 60fps only when not in a hectic fight or a crowded city.

Like that opening scene before the proving when you move through the party? that was murder.

Been playing on 1080p. Maybe I can bump it up after some patching?

Why is this happening mate???????

You’ve always said PS4 exclusives were just made on a PC then downscaled to work on a lowly console ???????

Should be an easy fix, no??????

😝

Please leave the development discussions to the adults and continue doing whatever it is you do for a living. It probably involves fries.

Last edited:

sendit

Yup. Along with missing hair physics in the PC version. I noticed this when trekking through the snow and remembering how the PS4 version was. Thinking in my head "hmmm...something feels off". Not faulting GG as they didn't handle the port, but Sony should have given the port to a more capable team.

Reactions: GHG

Miggytronz

this is extremely disappointing as i was looking forward to a day one purchase but after the initial reviews..........oooof i'm not touching this until optimization is corrected.

sendit

Well, there goes 37GB wasted on a torrent. At least I wasn't duped into buying this steaming pile of shit.

This is Batman Arkham Knight all over again.

Steam allows you to refund a purchase if you've played the game for less than 2 hours (no questions asked). However, given the torrent route. I'm sure you didn't have plans to purchase this.

Last edited:

idrago01

Banned
Yup. Along with missing hair physics in the PC version. I noticed this when trekking through the snow and remembering how the PS4 version was. Thinking in my head "hmmm...something feels off". Not faulting GG as they didn't handle the port, but Sony should have given the port to a more capable team.
How the hell does this happen, weren't they touting this feature for the DLC

Malakhov

Banned
i9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2070 Super, running off an SSD. 1080p on ultra is butter, 2560 × 1440 on high is 60fps only when not in a hectic fight or a crowded city.

Like that opening scene before the proving when you move through the party? that was murder.

Been playing on 1080p. Maybe I can bump it up after some patching?

Please leave the development discussions to the adults and continue doing whatever it is you do for a living. It probably involves fries.
I can get 30fps in 2k, this game is inconsistent with what people are getting. Hopefully there will be a fix, im just glad I can enjoy this on mine, it's gorgeous and quite fun so far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom