• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Horizon Zero Dawn PC: An Amazing Game Gets A Disappointing Port

Faithless83

Banned
No. Even with the issues it still plays and looks better. We just play on PC so our standards are higher.
So are your wallets and "strangely enough", piracy.

Here's what I believe it will happen, though.
PC master race will be pissed, as very little pisses them off more than bad ports and will not buy the game.
Sony will see the numbers and think "Oh... so it was not the best investment, huh?", game will be massively pirated.
Sony will abandon the whole ports idea and move on.

Mister Wolf

PC master race will be pissed, as very little pisses them off more than bad ports and will not buy the game.
Sony will see the numbers and think "Oh... so it was not the best investment, huh?", game will be massively pirated.

That's fine. One monkey doesn't stop a show.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

But but but PCMR, y'all wonder why some people just wanna plug and play, hope this can be saved tho if it's as bad as they claim

I know you're trolling, but its up to the devs to utilize the capabilities of PC systems. A PC doesn't magically optimize a game or upgrade textures on its own, that's up to the dev.

onQ123

I was waiting for the "I should know I'm a export in master race culture" line

sendit

I never said that because I have never seen HFW gameplay and neither have you. This is the same company we are talking about here.

Yet you made this claim without seeing any real gameplay visuals of HFW:

That's why I said HZD on PC will be similar in visual quality as HZ2 on PS5.

onQ123

You need to be in the know to reach to that conclusion, right? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That might have went over your head but I was talking about this

Ulysses 31

If you have a PS4 and didn't buy this game you were never going to buy it. It came out 3.5 years ago and has had a fuckton of sales and even regular price is $20 now.
Yup, same with the sequel unless that really improves the gameplay side of things.

Okay why are People thinking HZD must be as performant as Death Stranding??

The only major point Death Stranding has on HZD is its parallel Dimension with its Containers , Houses and that black Water in to wich you could get pulled by those Ghosts. That needs to be persistent in System Ram to be ready when needed.

Apart from that HZD has:
1. a shitload full of Foliage. Wich also moves and needs to be animated.
2. a much higher Polycount given all the Trees and Robots. Some of the Robots have Polycounts in the 100000s peaking with Thundnerjaw wich has 1Million..
3. Alot more Partikels to render especially in Fights with Plasma Bolts , Sparks, and Laserbeams..

And HZD must now why exactly be as performant as DS ? because it shares the same Engine with it? Or what?

If this here already wets panties - what happens when the first true and only Next Gen games hit PC?
What are we do then? Establish a virtual Emergency Room here on the Board? Perhaps a online Link to the Salvations Army ?

It seems true that HZD is plagued by some issues regarding its performance (like most games at release) and those will get tackled.
But this will not result in a HZD wich runs as good as Death Stranding.

That Idea you can - "bend, fold and file" as we say here in good ol Germany.
Have a nice Day Sirs

Vaelka

Blame platform for dev incompetence.

Makes sense.

I jerk off on my PS4 at least five times a day and sleep with it every night, PS4 supreme all hail Sony.
Exterminate anyone who dares play on the inferior PC and other consoles, a literal crime against humanity.

Lol what does PC have? Minecraft?
PS4 games are the only good games, they're so good the PC can't handle it.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

The playstation fanatics are embarrassing in this thread.

I'm interested to see the people saying Alex is bad at this, do their own video.

I don't know if I've somehow become more self aware or its gotten worse lately, but the childish immature back and forth seems to have risen. The anonymity allows people to feel comfortable to behave this way.

Faithless83

Banned
That might have went over your head but I was talking about this

I'm aware of the meme and used the "you need to be in the know" for a reason...:messenger_winking:

GHG

You think a PC is running a PS4 emulator in 4k?
DecimalMaleDragon-size_restricted.gif

Anyway I thought this was supposed to be a good port?

Who bloody knows. It has all the hallmarks of an emulator and it runs inconsistently.

The first time you load a game is the longest time its going to take. I remember the first time I loaded Doom on a nvme m.2 it took like 20 seconds to start a level, afterwards it took between 5-7 seconds.

I know. That still doesn't explain 10-15 minutes.

The port is fucked.

It is bizzare eh? I just pray they aren't adults :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I imagine these people as young adults doing low skills jobs living paycheck to paycheck... saving all their money throughout the generation to buy that one box of their choice. No wonder they lower themselves to this pathetic standard and end up being keyboard warriors for a specific brand.

That's how I see it.

Malakhov

Banned
Well from gamegpu seems I can get 40fps with a r5 3600 and a rx 470 in high on 1080p. Ill try this and see for myself

Dane

>2.5 times the price of the console version
>shitter performance than Death Stranding who ran on the same engine.

what the hell happened?

I know you're trolling, but its up to the devs to utilize the capabilities of PC systems. A PC doesn't magically optimize a game or upgrade textures on its own, that's up to the dev.

I get that but I dislike the delusion of infallibility on PC, so much can go wrong.

Vaelka

Why do some people seem happy about this? This game deserves a way better port!

Toxic fanboys and the console war.

The devs just want as many people to play their games as possible, but meanwhile the fanboys are all like '' NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, NO ONE ELSE CAN HAVE OUR TOYS :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying: ''.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Why even port this if you aren't going to do it properly? Sony knows better than this. They wouldn't dare release a game on PS4 like this so why would they let it happen on PC?

Last edited:

urmie

So why is everyone upset at DF? It’s a half ass port. He literally explained and showed us.

It's almost like criticizing China's CCP, even with evidence. They just attack the author like many zealots do, trying to seed some sort of narrative, when it could just be, consumers deserve something better. Imagine that, asking for better. The game will no doubt be patched, don't see an issue really. (watched ACG's review)

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Try watching with your eyes and listening with your ears next time.

• 40, 70 and even 100ms stutters making it virtually impossible to have a steady frame-pacing
  • Ultra settings barely look better than PS4 Pro but cut performance by half
  • Facial animations locked to 30fps
  • Broken V-Sync
  • Non-functioning native AF
  • Overly aggressive dynamic resolution scaling that drops the 4K of a 2080 Ti running at 55fps to 1080p
  • Abysmal performance on some cards. The 1060 in Alex's analysis performed around the level of a base PS4 at times

Good sum up.

Very disappointing port. I’ve already completed it on a Pro personally but disappointing for the PC peeps who wanted to play it.

If it’s patched to a decent state then I’ll pick it up in a sale for the DLC which I never got around to.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I'm going to guess that Death Stranding, being a very recent game, was handled by Kojima Productions, while this being ancient, and Guerilla being busy on the next one, meant it was farmed out.

Sad to see. A lot of people were looking forward to this.

Bkdk

How is it even possible that death stranding got a decent port while this doesn’t, it is their own engine to begin with, they must be hiring some very random people to do the port.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
But but but PCMR, y'all wonder why some people just wanna plug and play, hope this can be saved tho if it's as bad as they claim

So you judge an entire platform because of a shitty optimized mediocre game?

Holy shit.

GHG

Why even port this if you aren't going to do it properly? Sony knows better than this. They wouldn't dare release a game on PS4 like this so why would they let it happen on PC?

The console version ran at 30fps and they didn't outsource it.

It's a shame because we know the engine is very capable on PC. Death Stranding proved that.

It was obvious that it was gonna be a bad port, however stutters are the most irritating thing ever. Since I bought the game 1/4th of the current price when it first came out, I think I'll keep it and wait for couple more patches to play. Good analysis by DF, not sure why people dislike it.
because how dare anyone say anything bad about sony

Orta

Banned
Disappointing but I don't usually get my hopes up when a console to PC port is announced, they're quite often half arsed bottle jobs.

I'll wait until/if a proper performance related patch is out and buy it on Steam for a fiver.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Yet you made this claim without seeing any real gameplay visuals of HFW:

If after my long description on explaining graphics features, you still don't understand my thinking, then I don't know what to say really. Hold on to it I guess.

Top Bottom