• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Horizon Forbidden West patch 1.16 drastically improves image quality in the 60fps performance mode

AlexxKidd

When Horizon Forbidden West launched, we recommended playing with the 30fps quality mode - because the 60fps mode's 3200x1800 checkerboard solution didn't quite work. However, Guerrilla Games' latest patch is a game-changer. It's still 1800p checkerboard, but the developers have massively revamped the anti-aliasing solution, removing the shimmer and vastly improving image quality. So which way should you play the game now - 30fps 4K or 60fps checkerboard? John Linneman gives us his thoughts!

Also from Eurogamer,

Horizon Forbidden West's upgraded performance mode is now the best way to play

Last edited:
Wonderful news, I played at 30 due to the downgrade in 60. Had to get used to it but it was solid performance and had all the eye candy you would want. However now that is fixed up I can play game plus mode on 60. Excited to have it all and with all upgraded weapons.

Last edited:

itxaka

Defeatist
Thank god because it looked terrible before. I stopped playing it because it was a blurry mess, now it's clear as hell, really nice patch, playing it and is much much better. Should have been like this from the start.

ReBurn

Gold Member
No checkerboard is terrible with complex vegetation. As you could see. Especially with TAA on top.

Fsr 2.00 will replace it hopefully. Checker was always terrible.
This video literally shows that checkerboard is not terrible with a good AA and image reconstruction solution in place. Checkerboard was used effectively in many PS4 Pro updates. I don't even know what you're talking about.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No checkerboard is terrible with complex vegetation. As you could see. Especially with TAA on top.

They are still using checkerboard but have updated their algorithm to use it more efficiently. Similar to what fsr 2.0 does. Its in the video straight from GG,

Mahavastu

Look at the 1st party games with Checkerboard on PS4 pro, they are all looking extremely good, also with small details and vegetation.
Even Horizon Zero Dawn looked really good, and it also had very complex vegetation.

When done right, Checkerboarding is a very good upscaling solution. Of course nowadays you can start from even lower input resolutions and still get a good result by using things like DLSS and FSR.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Look at the 1st party games with Checkerboard on PS4 pro, they are all looking extremely good, also with small details and vegetation.
Even Horizon Zero Dawn looked really good, and it also had very complex vegetation.

When done right, Checkerboarding is a very good upscaling solution. Of course nowadays you can start from even lower input resolutions and still get a good result by using things like DLSS and FSR.
Yep. Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone both used 1800p checkerboard on the PS4 Pro and looked way better. GG just mucked it up. With some optimizations they were able to make checkerboarding work so clearly checkerboarding is a very good upscaling solution.

That said, I would like to see them use FSR 2.0. They seem to be using the same approach as FSR 2.0 for their updated checkerboarding solution, but I wonder if the performance upgrades will be even higher if they used FSR2.0's quality preset.

Luipadre

while the image quality was worse, unpatched version looked much more lively. Game looks so static now with almost 0 foliage or tree movement

Luipadre

That was just the shimmering making it look like it was moving.
I'm joking, the foliage still movies just fine.
nah. These changes were even mentioned in the patch notes at some point where they specifically said they lowered foliage movement to reduce shimmering

assurdum

Banned

Well frankly CBR on pro was awful with vegetation, go to check the BC games. Good to know the "brute force" of ps5 help to improve the quality of CBR, it's really a great news.

yamaci17

as i predicted: TAA with more frames + heavy sharpening

not enough motion comparions to see how smeary+sharpened game looks in motion. too much stills and minimal movement (camera movement, actual gameplay movement)

(elaboration for people who have no knowledge on TAA:

when you want to have more frames to be used with TAA, you practically need to improve your TAA. so you can take "taa with more frames" as "improved TAA". practically, you need to improve your TAA to use more frames.)

Last edited:

Stuart360

I have to say Sony's studios are really good with these kind of post launch patches, patches designed to try and improve the game if possible.
On PC like 90% of the patches will be bug related, and then if we are lucky we may get a patch to improve performence late on lol.

This video literally shows that checkerboard is not terrible with a good AA and image reconstruction solution in place. Checkerboard was used effectively in many PS4 Pro updates. I don't even know what you're talking about.

They just like the sound of the new buzzwords, even if the benefits they provide are already provided with other techniques that aren't hot buzzwords 😁

Looking forward to sinking some big time back into this game this week; kinda got caught up in playing Shining Force III (it's a surprising time sink and I haven't had a lot of time to game the past couple of weeks). Yes that is a super-old game but I need to play it anyway. I'm not waiting 20+ years to finish HFW tho, I'll actually be more timely with such a beast 😂(plus I want to get some of the sexier outfits and lipstick for Aloy).

assurdum

Banned
as i predicted: TAA with more frames + heavy sharpening

not enough motion comparions to see how smeary+sharpened game looks in motion. too much stills and minimal movement (camera movement, actual gameplay movement)
Are you serious? It can't be just sharpening and aggressive TAA with more frames; it can't fix absolutely shimmering and it adds tons of blurriness and ghosting. It's obvious they improved the precision for the CBR in the algorithm.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Are you serious? It's not just sharpening. And TAA with more frames not fix absolutely shimmering.
iTs NoT jUSt ShARPenIng. Are you having mental breakdown down there? I never said it is just sharpening. I explicitly, OPENLY wrote that it is TAA with more frames+heavy sharpening. TAA with more frames is a literal element that helped ensuring the elimination of shimmering. the video reviewer tells it so.

shimmering was mostly non existent in all heavy-TAA games released since 2018. they didn't do any magical stuff. they just used more frames with their TAA. go check out any aaa game with heavy TAA that uses lots of previous frames when rendering a scene. they do not have shimmer. rdr 2 does not have shimmering. god of war does not have shimmering. many more AAA titles do not exhibit shimmering. they just tried a different approach, and met with heavy criticism

by the way, you need to get a course on reading comprehension. clearly you lack it

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Jesus what a loser.

No other man can take so many Ls and still come out swinging like he's the greatest.

Alex Audio-Only RT Battaglia
Alex Shadows-Only RT Battaglia
Alex It's-Just-Sharpening Battaglia

This man has absolutely no shame.
Wow he really believe it's just improved TAA...oh God :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom