• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Halo Infinite Big Performance Mode Boosts For Series X/One X - But What About PC?

3liteDragon

The Halo Infinite test flights are back! Here's Rich and Alex to discuss their thoughts on the new Xbox One, Xbox Series and PC versions. There are big, big improvements to the performance modes on Xbox Series X and Xbox One X, but curiously 120Hz support is absent from the Series S version. And as for PC? Not much has changed from prior code...

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I think the game looks pretty sweet, for MP game. Not sure how the SP, is going to look.

Or if they ruin it by not including Halo's favorite character, Craig.

I see that it uses the same "fake RT" as Geow5: Hivebusters, which is great.

Last edited:

Salz01

I just played some bots on a couple of the maps. The gameplay seems decent and smooth. Seems locked at 60 on Series X. But the graphics….. man. It all seems so boring, visually. Say what you will about COD Blackops, but it looks way better than this. I’ll have to go back to Halo 5 and see how the MP compares to this. But to my eyes this isn’t next gen at all. Extremely disappointed. Can only hope they add more visual flair by December.

Complistic

I just played some bots on a couple of the maps. The gameplay seems decent and smooth. Seems locked at 60 on Series X. But the graphics….. man. It all seems so boring, visually. Say what you will about COD Blackops, but it looks way better than this. I’ll have to go back to Halo 5 and see how the MP compares to this. But to my eyes this isn’t next gen at all. Extremely disappointed. Can only hope they add more visual flair by December.
For sure go back and play 5 a bit and you'll appreciate how great infinite looks.

Evilms

Banned
  • 1080p on Xbox One S with aggressive DRS, 30fps not stable with jerks.
  • 1080p on Xbox Series S with DRS at 60fps, there is no more 120Hz mode this time.
  • 120Hz mode : 1080p~1440p with DRS on Xbox Series X at 120fps, however some animations in 60fps.
  • 60Hz mode : 1800p~2160p with DRS at 60fps on Xbox Series X.
  • The game switches to 60fps this time on Xbox One X 1080~1440p with DRS, for an experience very close to the 120Hz mode on the Xbox Series running at half of the frame-rate.
  • The Xbox One X version outperforms the XSS version in many ways in terms of graphics features.
  • On PC even with low 1440p settings, an RTX 3090 could not consistently run the game at 120fps. they have released a new update DF will take a look at it.

Last edited:

svbarnard

Banned
It's not a next-gen game it's built to play on the Xbox One. I'm going to wait till I play Big team Battle to see how I feel about the game.

svbarnard

Banned
  • 1080p on Xbox One S with aggressive DRS, 30fps not stable with jerks.
  • 1080p on Xbox Series S with DRS at 60fps, there is no more 120Hz mode this time.
  • 120Hz mode : 1080p~1440p with DRS on Xbox Series X at 120fps, however some animations in 60fps.
  • 60Hz mode : 1800p~2160p with DRS at 60fps on Xbox Series X.
  • The game switches to 60fps this time on Xbox One X 1080~1440p with DRS, for an experience very close to the 120Hz mode on the Xbox Series running at half of the frame-rate.
  • The Xbox One X version outperforms the XSS version in many ways in terms of graphics features.
Why oh why did they have to make the Xbox series s? It can't even outperform the Xbox One x!!!!!

Nvzman

Very impressive they got XB1X to hit 60fps. I thought last gen was going to be stuck at 30.
Impressive port indeed, I think a lot of people vastly underestimated One X's overclocked Jaguar, in comparison to current gen. Its a nice big boost for sure, but to be honest for games like Halo Infinite that were designed with cross-gen in mind, the differences aren't going to be that huge until actual CPU-bound scenarios occur, like with much more players. BTB will be the ultimate test for One X's CPU, and how it compares with next gen.
I still think the PS4/One generation is going to last much longer than most other previous gens, as beyond the CPU, theres really not enough of a hardware upgrade to warrant most games jumping to only PS5/XBSX yet. Maybe when game engines fully adopt ray-tracing and integrate them into their engines, or games that require very high player counts (like BF2042). But for smaller games like COD, I wouldn't be surprised if they were cross gen for at least another 2-3 years. Most other gens were like jumping from an old, nearly unusable relic to a brand new, state of the art machine, but the PS4/One to PS5/SX is like jumping to a low end PC for 1080p to a mid-high end PC for 4K. The old gen hardware is still pretty capable.

Animated GIF

I don't know man... those graphics comments lol. Halo 5 doesn't come anywhere close to any of this even in its best moments.

Last edited:
PC don't need optimisation. our hardware is powerful enough to brute force games.

/s

i'm sure it will be fine on PC. this is just the usual Digital Foundry bullshit stirring.

Riky

$MSFT
That 120fps mode on Series X looks rock solid, great to see another big first party multiplayer shooter locking down 120fps after Gears 5.

Xbox One X version feels really good at 60fps, probably going to end up being the pinnacle of last gen multiplayer.

Last edited:

Nvzman

PC don't need optimisation. our hardware is powerful enough to brute force games.

/s

i'm sure it will be fine on PC. this is just the usual Digital Foundry bullshit stirring.
???
I played the previous flights on PC and they ran like absolute dogshit. DF was completely right in criticizing the hell out of it. If they don't fix it by final release then the PC port is going to be pretty awful and its going to hurt the game bad playerbase-wise.

twilo99

That 120fps mode on Series X looks rock solid, great to see another big first party multiplayer shooter locking down 120fps after Gears 5.

Once again, it shows that only 1st party developers are willing to extract the full potential from the hardware.

elliot5

Why oh why did they have to make the Xbox series s? It can't even outperform the Xbox One x!!!!!
XSS has a 120 FPS mode (just taken out this flight, it'll be there at launch). It's fine. X1X will probably be 30 FPS in the campaign unlike XSS.

Anyway, they'll definitely need to release a follow up after BTB because the PC performance is infinitely better now with the mid-week patch they pushed on Steam.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Fx 6300 + 8GB RAM + RX 580 8GB should run the game as well as an Xbox one x. Pretty concerned to see the game running like crap on PC. I thought they learned their lesson with the MCC...

Last edited:

elliot5

Fx 6300 + 8GB RAM + RX 580 8GB should run the game as well as an Xbox one x. Pretty concerned to see the game running like crap on PC. I thought they learned their lesson with the MCC...
It's been mostly fixed since last weekend. Have no fear.

HTK

Banned

No thanks, recent CoDs have so much clutter in their maps that it's hard to make out enemies. All those details come at a cost to gameplay so for me Halo is a breath of fresh air where I can actually see enemies. Same goes for Battlefield 2042, because of the scale they were forced not to clutter the maps too much which again great for seeing players.

MikeM

I'm still blown away that we are getting good 120fps experiences on these consoles.

I don't care much for Halo, but will absolutely give this a go when it launches.

Top Bottom