• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Guardians of the Galaxy: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Ray Tracing Upgrades Tested

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I see you trying to find a resolution advantage which really doesn't exist. The higher resolution seem more an anomaly than a regular episode which could happen. Two channels has reported there aren't sign about resolution difference for the whole time, I think it's pointless try to fantasize about it

No, not really trying to find an advantage, but just stating a fact that if it happens in one place, it has the potential to happen in other places too.

It's the same reason why we often see different DRS results in DF, NX and VGTech videos. They all cover different sample areas. They don't all cover the entire games.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I think it's because people with an XSS actually looked at the demo themselves and are judging it individually for what it is vs. comparing it frame to frame with XSX/PS5. It's a very nice looking game, the lighting and level of detail really stand out. regardless of the resolution. Demo has a great sense of scale as well.

ms5Km79.jpg

OFRwtE3.jpg
Not to mention that surely few play on large screens, that they are not as sensitive to image defects or, in most cases, they know and accept what the console is and what it offers vs what XSx/PS5 are and offer.

adamsapple

I think it's because people with an XSS actually looked at the demo themselves and are judging it individually for what it is vs. comparing it frame to frame with XSX/PS5. It's a very nice looking game, the lighting and level of detail really stand out. regardless of the resolution. Demo has a great sense of scale as well.

ms5Km79.jpg

OFRwtE3.jpg

Are these direct feed Series S screens ?

If yes, then this is perfectly fine. That console, kinda like Switch, isn't designed to play on a bit 60 inch 4K screen. On a smaller, 1080p screen or monitor, these will look excellent.

Darsxx82

No, not really trying to find an advantage, but just stating a fact that if it happens in one place, it has the potential to happen in other places too.

It's the same reason why we often see different DRS results in DF, NX and VGTech videos. They all cover different sample areas. They don't all cover the entire games.
The funny thing is that he comes to censor your thought when he is in this forum the main representative of drawing conclusions and fantasizing about similar situations....... of course, only when the favored is PS5.:messenger_grinning_sweat:

DaGwaphics

Are these direct feed Series S screens ?

If yes, then this is perfectly fine. That console, kinda like Switch, isn't designed to play on a bit 60 inch 4K screen. On a smaller, 1080p screen or monitor, these will look excellent.

Yes, I'm not the best in game photographer, but still an example of what it looks like. Ground texture is still very nice and detail when you zoom into/get close to objects is something else. I couldn't get the direct upload on GAF to work so these are uploaded with imgur, they have likely compressed them a bit, the raw screenshots probably look better.

I play on a small 24" 1080p, but I sit close it's a desktop monitor <rant>I'm still attached to 1080p on desktop because text is too small with higher res during regular computer work unless you have an oversized monitor that I find too bright</rant>. When I upgrade to XSX I'll probably stay at 1080p and get one of the VRR high framerate models.

Last edited:

Neo_game

To all the series S shit posters. Would you all rather Microsoft and other console manufactures issue mandates for resolution, effects... or would you rather the developer choose what's best? It seems like your argument is trash without Microsoft forcing mandates which you would also argue against.

My problem with a gimped console is that it sets the wrong precedence and IMO the premium console dream say 700$ console is probably gone forever. According to some analyst SS has out sold SX last quarter and will definitely outsell it again this quarter. They are making more SS than SX especially during this part of the year to have more available to the masses. I would rather hope that PS5 and SX were entry level console and we had option for higher end as well.

3liteDragon

It boggles my mind people actually think studios with in-house engines wouldn’t have upgraded their engines a while back to have similar features like Nanite & Lumen when they were briefed on the consoles.

I don’t know if SM2 on PS5 will look better than the Matrix demo but I’m certain the demo will easily be surpassed before the end of this gen.

Edit: Replied in the wrong thread lol, but my point still stands.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

My problem with a gimped console is that it sets the wrong precedence and IMO the premium console dream say 700$ console is probably gone forever. According to some analyst SS has out sold SX last quarter and will definitely outsell it again this quarter. They are making more SS than SX especially during this part of the year to have more available to the masses. I would rather hope that PS5 and SX were entry level console and we had option for higher end as well.
Rather I think the main problem is that XSX is much more affected by the issue of chip manufacturing and also adds that MS is using many of them to update Xcluod to XSeries. That's why XSX is even harder to find than PS5. Luck of MS to have had available a product appetizing to the casual user these dates because it could have been a catastrophe for them.

adamsapple

It boggles my mind people actually think studios with in-house engines wouldn’t have upgraded their engines a while back to have similar features like Nanite & Lumen when they were briefed on the consoles.

I don’t know if SM2 on PS5 will look better than the Matrix demo but I’m certain the demo will easily be surpassed before the end of this gen.

Edit: Replied in the wrong thread lol, but my point still stands.

SM2 may not look as this demo but that game will play like such a different animal that it won´t be a valid comparison in the first place.

They´re going for more stylized approach to character design, not a faithful recreation of human faces.

The context is in that thread for everyone to see. It wasn't true then and it isn't true now. If it were true then this whole discussion doesn't exist.

Yep, if there is a silver lining in all of this it's the fact that developers are willing to treat the Series S as an afterthought, hence it's getting versions of games where not only are the resolutions lower than anticipated but features are being omitted. If the net result is that they focus on the Series X and PS5 then I'm all for it.

Console baselines dictate PC minimum specs for a generation of games, it's always been that way. The leap from the PS4/Xbox One to the Series S is the smallest leap we've ever seen between generations. My comments on this are in the threads linked in this thread. From a technological advancement perspective it sucks. This is why I'm also 100% against cross-gen games, at some point we need to look forwards.
My comment that was your shit attempt at a gotcha was true then and is true now.

Another thread turns into a series s back and forth. It’s strange. Can’t we all just put our hands up and accept that it will be running at resolutions like q quarter to a third of the series x and maybe some more cut effects And move on? It’s still a cool little box.

we are acting like the ps5 and series x are these perfect boxes of power and they are running next gen shit at like 1080p and 24fps (matrix) if there’s rat tracing there’s huge cuts and in the case of like Spider-Man running last gen games at 1440p to hit 60fps.

none of these consoles are groundbreaking incredible boxes, but they do have good cpus this time And offer a great experience for the price.

I honestly think this game could perform better if it was actually worked on dev wise.
1080p tp hit 60fps seems a bit poo.

Can't as easily pick on big brother, so they pick on little brother lmao.

Corndog

Banned
What a nonsense comparison. New consoles dictate next generation standard for AAA from awhile, pc is not hold back by console but by the market sales where console have the lead. Anyway many developers blamed SS hardware to hold back next generation development, not just the "fanboys". PC gamers should blame the market not the consoles.
Bullcrap. Pc is definitely held back by console. And I’m primarily a console gamer. That said I don’t see series s causing any more problem then normal.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Been playing this on PC for the last few days, up to Knowhere area. Playing on ultra with RT and ultrawide 1440p on PC with a 3080 Ti. The game is gorgeous and fun. Eidos Montreal sure knows how to make sci-fi cities. Really love the pace and dialogue so far, but it helps that it’s visually stunning, especially the character faces.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
What a nonsense comparison. New consoles dictate next generation standard for AAA from awhile, pc is not hold back by console but by the market sales where console have the lead. Anyway many developers blamed SS hardware to hold back next generation development, not just the "fanboys". PC gamers should blame the market not the consoles.

The thing is even if the series S wasn't a thing games would likely still be playable on GPUs a 1/3 of the XSX's power

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not too bad. But unfortunately I think this game feels terrible at 30fps. I still don't understand why the 60fps mode is limited to 1080p, and still can't manage a locked 60.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Funny thing is the quote they bring up is irrelevant still, no games use all of Tier 2 VRS, SFS and Mesh Shaders yet. We're a long way from that happening.
Obviously I must have struck a chord with a few fanboys though.

Yes, we haven't seen the true potential of these machines yet.

Interesting. Unless they covered the entire game, it's likely there may be more similar differences in later busier areas too.
If I understand correctly their frame stats, they played more then 18 hours each versions ? So the entire game. I'm sure they have pixel counted every situation that looked like could be particulary significant

truth411

what a terrible comparisson out of 15min he managed to show XSX version only 2 times while PS5 takes majority of time.
i don't know maybe it's me.. but it seems DF doesn't like to show or compare XSX for some reason while it's considered most powerful console it should be main reference point for comparissons such like these.
I dunno, alot more people have PS5s, Microsoft is splitting production between the XSX and XSS. Beside with 3rd party games the difference is largely negligible.

Last edited:

adamsapple

If I understand correctly their frame stats, they played more then 18 hours each versions ? So the entire game. I'm sure they have pixel counted every situation that looked like could be particulary significant

My calculation might be off, but if I'm understanding correct, you can divide the number of frames by 30 to get the number of seconds they captured/covered (as its 30 frames per second).

So it's 20~ minutes going by the number of video frames.

Again, my understanding may be wrong.

My calculation might be off, but if I'm understanding correct, you can divide the number of frames by 30 to get the number of seconds they captured/covered (as its 30 frames per second).

I think if that difference appears in other parts it's probably so rare that none have seen it outside of that initial cutscene. Which probably means it really isn't noticeable if the comparisons sites haven't caught it outside of that situation.

Theoretically speaking of course.

Mr Moose

The video is recorded in 60fps, there are 33127 video frames, game frames are half of that.

adamsapple

The video is recorded in 60fps, there are 33127 video frames, game frames are half of that.

So the captured content they frame-tested was even less than 20min, ~10 min give or take ?

Understandable that they jumped around different saves to capture different biomes I suppose.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

So the captured content they frame-tested was even less than 20min, ~10 min give or take ?

Understandable that they jumped around different saves to capture different biomes I suppose.
Yeah, it's the stats of the video shown (not the total they captured, just what they edited/uploaded), 9 minutes 32 seconds, VG looks for heavier areas normally in the second half of their vids as a stress test.

MonarchJT

Banned
stop it with your pseudo technical non sense ..pc was...IS and always will be held back by consoles...go to check horizon zero dawn 8k thread and compare it to PS5 version...or do the same with every Forza horizon releases on pc

MonarchJT

Banned
It's that issue. XSS is too much lowest common denominator for some developers. It's not playstation fanboy who said that.
well the thing is ...who buy the xss doesn't really care about all those things ...is mostly for casual gamers with still 1080 monitor or tv..Talking about helding back we seeing all latest multiplats games where the XsX is very very very likely to come up with the best version or get as mininum parity with the PS5 version ....if we talk about first party exclusives i think they will take care of the two console with great attention ...so what your concern about ?

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yo since I own both consoles, can someone just tell me which one is better so I can just play that version, cheers.

Got it on PS5 already but it kinda looked busted in preformance mode so was wondering if X was better now.

Last edited:

You are right, I had a brain fart and confused second with minutes. Sorry for that

Last edited:

FrankWza

who buy the xss doesn't really care about all those things ...is mostly for casual gamers with still 1080 monitor or tv
I thought it was supposed to be exactly like the series x but only at lower resolution? Did the marketing and consensus change?
if we talk about first party exclusives i think they will take care of the two console with great attention ...so what your concern about ?
What about halo infinite? Both consoles have missing features. System level support and cross console features that were supposed to be identical.

onQ123

Bullcrap. Pc is definitely held back by console. And I’m primarily a console gamer. That said I don’t see series s causing any more problem then normal.
Wrong because if it wasn't for consoles publishers / devs wouldn't put so much time & money into making a PC game because they wouldn't recoup the money. Things are better now for PC because of Steam but they still need console sells to fund big games.

MonarchJT

Banned
I thought it was supposed to be exactly like the series x but only at lower resolution? Did the marketing and consensus change?
Yes it happen often that marketing exaggerate things or worse imagine the VRR situation with the PS5. ...it is still (xss) a fantastic entry level console

What about halo infinite? Both consoles have missing features. System level support and cross console features that were supposed to be identical.
What are you referring to in particular?

FrankWza

Yes it happen often that marketing exaggerate things or worse imagine the VRR situation with the PS5. ...it is still (xss) a fantastic entry level console
VRR on PS5 was said to come at a later date. There was no concrete date, but yes, they promised on that and need to deliver. But the marketing of the s was that on a game to game basis, it would have all of the features that the x had on the same game.
What are you referring to in particular?
Halo doesn’t support VRR properly on series x and does not support VRR or 120fps on series s.

Riky

$MSFT

No Jason Ronald said that it was basically up to developers, they could use resolution scaling and other visual settings that didn't affect core gameplay.
This has been the case as saves work across both systems, so the core gameplay has to be complete and it has been.

No Jason Ronald said that it was basically up to developers, they could use resolution scaling and other visual settings that didn't affect core gameplay.
This has been the case as saves work across both systems, so the core gameplay has to be complete and it has been.
Exactly. No MS marketing promised all features on the XSS would be used in all games. It is an imaginary standard no platform has ever been held to except the budget XSS. The XSS still has features more expensive platforms lack entirely that should be addressed before jumping on the budget box.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Exactly. No MS marketing promised all features on the XSS would be used in all games. It is an imaginary standard no platform has ever been held to except the budget XSS. The XSS still has features more expensive platforms lack entirely that should be addressed before jumping on the budget box.
It’s supposed to have identical features as the series x at lower resolutions per game. It doesn’t always.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
In all modes that same scene reflects the same situation. In performance mode XSX is 60fps locked while on PS5 it drops to 45fps. I don't think saying it can be an anomaly is better or more logical than saying and wondering if it's something you could see at other times in the game. Knowing your historIial, it is clear that your reaction would have been the same as his if the situation were in favor of PS5 :messenger_smirking:

Also in the different analyses it is not said that there is never a difference in resolution, but that the maximums and minimums are usually the same and "similar".

PD. I want to do a statement in defense of DF and Tom in his analysis. In the other thread some only focused on questioning his conclusions, even to say that DF in its analysis avoids situations to favor XSX. Well, this video from VGTcheh gives Tom the reason in everything (also hitches in fps with the change of visor mode only on PS5) and simply is that millimeter comparisons are not always necessary and less for occasions where the frameate in both is practically blocked always.
Find a single post by me where I tried to fantasize about a possible ps5 superiority just for a single scene, maybe you should check better my post history before spit out nonsense sentence because not all fan act as a desperate fanboy like you which even blatantly lie because in both analyses they clearly said there aren't visible resolution difference, don't invent things please.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
in this thread or in general co if that is the case it sound like a joke ahahaah
Why you don't quote a post where I ever talked about a possible ps5 superiority in a port just for a single scene mr strawman? Because it's more probable you did it in the opposite front than me lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom